Comics and Movies

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/x-men-97-draws-4-144312066.html

X-Men ’97 Draws 4 Million Viewers in Disney+ Debut​

In its first five days of release, the first two episodes of X-Men ’97 amassed four million views, making it Disney+’s most-watched Season 1 premiere for a (Qualifier No. 1) full-length (Qualifier No. 2) animated series since Marvel’s What If…? anthology bowed back in August 2021.

5d33914a9149c296f3b4b9337b09c3c0.jpg
I did a quick cross-reference of voice actors and characters between both the 90's and today's series:

Voice Actor Reprising Previous Role

Adrian Hough, Nightcrawler
Alison Sealy-Smith, Storm
Cal Dodd, Wolverine
Chris Britton, Mr. Sinister
Chris Potter, Gambit
George Buza, Beast
Lenore Zann, Rogue

Previous Voice Actor/New Character

Catherine Disher (was previously Jean Grey), Val Cooper
Lawrence Bayne (was previously Cable), Carl Denti

New Voice Actor/Previous Character

A.J. LoCascio, Gambit
Gavin Hammon, Bolivar Trask
Holly Chou, Jubilation Lee
Isaac Robinson-Smith, Bishop
Jennifer Hale, Jean Grey
JP Karliak, Morph
Matthew Waterson, Magneto
Ray Chase, Cyclops
Ross Marquand, Professor Charles Xavier
Todd Haberkorn, Henry Gyrich

Trivia:

Multi-talented John Colicos passed away in 2000, so Apocalypse will be voiced by a new actor if they bring the character back.

Gambit was voiced by at least two actors, Chris Potter and Tony Daniels, in the original animated series.

Post-Apocalypse Archangel, who is clearly seen in episode one's Blackbird Sentinel scene, is missing from episode two's cliffhanger ending scene, AND whose voice actor is not accredited on IMDB (I know he did not say anything in his one scene but that is strange).

Voices age along with the rest of our body. I am still surprised in the voice contrast for Lenora Zann and Cal Dodd as Rogue and Wolverine. It may be disrespectful saying it but Rogue sounds old now. Wolverine does not sound old but almost totally different, like it is someone else doing the character's voice.

Edit: Alison Sealy-Smith and Zann are both 64-ish and the change is apparent in Sealy-Smith's voice as well but I do not think it is as distinct. Cal Dodd is 67.

Perhaps all three should talk with George Buza. He is 75 and Dr. Hank McCoy still sounds about the same to me, lol.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I did a quick cross-reference of voice actors and characters between both the 90's and today's series:

Voice Actor Reprising Previous Role

Adrian Hough, Nightcrawler
Alison Sealy-Smith, Storm
Cal Dodd, Wolverine
Chris Britton, Mr. Sinister
Chris Potter, Gambit
George Buza, Beast
Lenore Zann, Rogue

Previous Voice Actor/New Character

Catherine Disher (was previously Jean Grey), Val Cooper
Lawrence Bayne (was previously Cable), Carl Denti

New Voice Actor/Previous Character

A.J. LoCascio, Gambit
Gavin Hammon, Bolivar Trask
Holly Chou, Jubilation Lee
Isaac Robinson-Smith, Bishop
Jennifer Hale, Jean Grey
JP Karliak, Morph
Matthew Waterson, Magneto
Ray Chase, Cyclops
Ross Marquand, Professor Charles Xavier
Todd Haberkorn, Henry Gyrich

Trivia:

Multi-talented John Colicos passed away in 2000, so Apocalypse will be voiced by a new actor if they bring the character back.

Gambit was voiced by at least two actors, Chris Potter and Tony Daniels, in the original animated series.

Post-Apocalypse Archangel, who is clearly seen in episode one's Blackbird Sentinel scene, is missing from episode two's cliffhanger ending scene, AND whose voice actor is not accredited on IMDB (I know he did not say anything in his one scene but that is strange).

Voices age along with the rest of our body. I am still surprised in the voice contrast for Lenora Zann and Cal Dodd as Rogue and Wolverine. It may be disrespectful saying it but Rogue sounds old now. Wolverine does not sound old but almost totally different, like it is someone else doing the character's voice.

Edit: Alison Sealy-Smith and Zann are both 64-ish and the change is apparent in Sealy-Smith's voice as well but I do not think it is as distinct. Cal Dodd is 67.

Perhaps all three should talk with George Buza. He is 75 and Dr. Hank McCoy still sounds about the same to me, lol.
Wasn't Archangel just Morph in that episode?

Rogue and Wolverine sounded the same as they did back then, to me. But it's been a long time since I've watched the original.

I think Jean's voice sounds too young and "girly" in the new one, personally.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wasn't Archangel just Morph in that episode?
Gosh darn it! That is an EXCELLENT question! It never occurred to me. I bet you are 100% correct.

Rogue and Wolverine sounded the same as they did back then, to me. But it's been a long time since I've watched the original.
I'm posting YouTube videos for both characters' voice comparison:

1990's Rogue:

Today's Rogue:

1990's Wolverine:

Today's Wolverine:

Could be just me but the differences are distinct.

I think Jean's voice sounds too young and "girly" in the new one, personally.
I don't hear it but that's just my opinion. Jennifer Hale is 52 but she is fully capable of sounding 'too young'.

She has done a ton of voice work. One role is Senator Chuchi on Star Wars: The Bad Batch. That character is 17-ish in my opinion and her voice matches the character's appearance really well.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Gosh darn it! That is an EXCELLENT question! It never occurred to me. I bet you are 100% correct.

1990's Rogue:

Today's Rogue:

1990's Wolverine:

Today's Wolverine:

I don't hear it but that's just my opinion. Jennifer Hale is 52 but she is fully capable of sounding 'too young'.

She has done a ton of voice work. One role is Senator Chuchi on Star Wars: The Bad Batch. That character is 17-ish in my opinion and her voice matches the character's appearance really well.

You're right about Wolverine. His voice does seem more aged.
I think the difference with Rogue's might be contextual. In the first ones, her mood seems more lighthearted. I could be wrong.

quickccc

Reaction score

1990's Rogue:

Today's Rogue:

1990's Wolverine:

Today's Wolverine:

Ditto here ..

I just don't notice much of a difference in the Jean Grey's voices.

Seems like XMEN 97 creators- producers went "all in " out to get as close to the original voices as possible, imo
And they did a marvelous job at that.

Did Storm Ororo sound noticeably different ? Maybe Bishop, but even that's very slim picky.

690876f9c5497e3065e4c8281b37488e.jpg

nobody

Reaction score

1990's Rogue:

Today's Rogue:

1990's Wolverine:

Today's Wolverine:

It sounds more like she's a smoker and so has more of that smoker vocal fry than before.

quickccc

Reaction score

1990's Rogue:

Today's Rogue:

1990's Wolverine:

Today's Wolverine:

Thanks for Sharing

@DallasEast ....... Nice research job.

Dr. Hank McCoy ." Eat Your Heart out "

689465e9891abcb090e3a869b03bdc41.jpg

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ditto here ..

I just don't notice much of a difference in the Jean Grey's voices.

Seems like XMEN 97 creators- producers went "all in " out to get as close to the original voices as possible, imo
And they did a marvelous job at that.

Did Storm Ororo sound noticeably different ? Maybe Bishop, but even that's very slim picky.

690876f9c5497e3065e4c8281b37488e.jpg
Storm is the same voice actress but it is very close to what she did 30 years ago in my opinion. Bishop's voice actor is brand new but recreates the earlier actor's work really well.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
8DyH51P.png

Non-comic book fans, who watched Josh Brolin in Deadpool 2, also got to witness his character's origin story in yesterday's X-Men '97 third episode. The origin story. :muttley:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have grown to love Katee Sackhoff's storytelling with its dry wit. Thought I would share an interview segment I saw on TikTok, where she talks about getting her Starbuck role.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/ne...alla-bal-version-of-silver-surfer/ar-BB1l1Zb2

‘The Fantastic Four': Julia Garner Joins Marvel Studios Movie As A Shalla-Bal Version Of Silver Surfer​

0d4b16e89417d583ddb1127628e37d43.jpg

3df534669cf4ee99371142978324742e.jpg

WOW .! ... A female Silver Surfer .... i mean who saw this casting coming ... ?

Does this mean I have to retire my " Norrin Radd " Avatar ? ... (sob)
Well. This is a pissy start to my day.

Had to read up on this because I had no clue about this leap from Norrin Radd's love to a Galactus herald. The Shalla-Bal I knew was never touched by the Power Cosmic, which I found out to today was false within the main continuity (I wasn't a big Silver Surfer reader. Sue me.) BUT may have zero to do with this MCU introduction.

This news serves as another cornerstone of the MCU's multiverse central plotline for these phases. This Shalla-Bal (I assume) comes from the Earth-X verse, where EVERYONE has powers. The entire alternate reality is based on a mini-series Marvel created in 1999 AFTER I stopped buying comics full-time. It is a reality where Galactus had twin heralds. That's right @quickccc. Norrin and Shalla-Bal were Galactus' Silver SurferS.

UF7N0NZ.png

Additionally, the reality revolves around The Celestials being the root cause of everything, for instance, like EVERYONE on Earth having superpowers. This casting news hits me with a boatload of new questions. I was disappointed in the MCU seemingly moving away from Eternals BUT doesn't this Shalla-Bal news return the The Celestials back front-and-center? If so, how do you erase Eternals from the connection? Yet, everyone DID NOT have superpowers in Eternals, did they? Would these be totally DIFFERENT Celestials? Or do they write out the Celestials altogether, which would not make any blasted sense... right?

There IS a Galactus in the Earth-X reality, who serves as a counterbalance for The Celestials implanting their young into planets/previous movie plot. HOWEVER, Galactus is later converted into a STAR in the mini-series..? Oh wait. Franklin Richards, Reed and Sue's boy, becomes Galactus sometimes afterwards..? What the bleepity-bleep bleep?

It is likely less than a fraction of what happened in the comics will be introduced into the MCU. That said, it makes me wonder how they will weave stuff like SHALLA-BAL the Silver Surfer into the MCU--especially if there is no connection to Norrin Radd. Whatever. I have a headache. :facepalm:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/ne...alla-bal-version-of-silver-surfer/ar-BB1l1Zb2

‘The Fantastic Four': Julia Garner Joins Marvel Studios Movie As A Shalla-Bal Version Of Silver Surfer​

0d4b16e89417d583ddb1127628e37d43.jpg

3df534669cf4ee99371142978324742e.jpg

WOW .! ... A female Silver Surfer .... i mean who saw this casting coming ... ?

Does this mean I have to retire my " Norrin Radd " Avatar ? ... (sob)
While I like the actress, I don't really like this direction. The MCU has been becoming the Multiverse of Disappointment, I have so very little faith that they're going to get very much right in the upcoming phases. There used to be a time when I heard any MCU updates I would get excited, now I just cringe and ask why........

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I like the actress, I don't really like this direction. The MCU has been becoming the Multiverse of Disappointment, I have so very little faith that they're going to get very much right in the upcoming phases. There used to be a time when I heard any MCU updates I would get excited, now I just cringe and ask why........
I share your disappointment but not exactly the same way in this particular instance. Marvel has made a strong push for including female characters in the MCU. I have little-to-zero problem with that directive.

What grinds my gears here is that the Marvel Comics multiverse is infinite, containing humongous numbers of already established characters. And the pages of Marvel Comics contains female characters, who are much more well-established within the main continuity, and who happened to be *drumroll please* Heralds of Galactus.

Honestly, I know very little of the herald Stardust but I do know plenty about Frankie Raye a.k.a. Johnny Storm's girlfriend a.k.a. Nova. So:
  1. You want an actress playing a new female character in an MCU movie. Check.
  2. You are bringing back the FF. Check.
  3. You want a cosmic undertone to the movie. Check.
  4. The character must be tied to the FF backstory. Check.
  5. You stick strictly to the multiverse plotline, ignore a 'better' herald, in favor of plucking a lesser known herald, from a brief mini-series, who is essentially a COPY of a Marvel iconic character..?
Someone. Anyone. Please make this make sense.

Edit: Conspiracy brain kicking in. Maybe they are avoiding Frankie Raye because her cosmic character's name is shared with Richard Rider's? And they are planning to introduce THAT character down the road and do not want to confuse the MCU audience with two Novas? Nah. That cannot be it. Can it?

Last edited:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I share your disappointment but not exactly the same way in this particular instance. Marvel has made a strong push for including female characters in the MCU. I have little-to-zero problem with that directive.

What grinds my gears here is that the Marvel Comics multiverse is infinite, containing humongous numbers of already established characters. And the pages of Marvel Comics contains female characters, who are much more well-established within the main continuity, and who happened to be *drumroll please* Heralds of Galactus.

Honestly, I know very little of the herald Stardust but I do know plenty about Frankie Raye a.k.a. Johnny Storm's girlfriend a.k.a. Nova. So:
  1. You want an actress playing a new female character in an MCU movie. Check.
  2. You are bringing back the FF. Check.
  3. You want a cosmic undertone to the movie. Check.
  4. The character must be tied to the FF backstory. Check.
  5. You stick strictly to the multiverse plotline, ignore a 'better' herald, in favor of plucking a lesser known herald, from a brief mini-series, who is essentially a COPY of a Marvel iconic character..?
Someone. Anyone. Please make this make sense.

Edit: Conspiracy brain kicking in. Maybe they are avoiding Frankie Raye because her cosmic character's name is shared with Richard Rider's? And they are planning to introduce THAT character down the road and do not want to confuse the MCU audience with two Novas? Nah. That cannot be it. Can it?
That was kinda the point. They could have brought that actress in, in a number of different roles that would have fit seamlessly into the narrative. instead they chose to bring her into a lesser copy of an iconic character. If they are going to introduce Silver Surfer, introduce Silver Surfer not Silver Surfer Lite, or introduce both. It's like they asked themselves, what's the most difficult way and will receive the most criticism in introducing an iconic character? It's like they are purposely making things harder on themselves.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was kinda the point. They could have brought that actress in, in a number of different roles that would have fit seamlessly into the narrative. instead they chose to bring her into a lesser copy of an iconic character. If they are going to introduce Silver Surfer, introduce Silver Surfer not Silver Surfer Lite, or introduce both. It's like they asked themselves, what's the most difficult way and will receive the most criticism in introducing an iconic character? It's like they are purposely making things harder on themselves.
Shalla-Bal was equal to Norrin Radd as Silver Surfers from what I have read, so I would not consider her as 'Silver Surfer Lite'--just the wrong one available. Of course, they can de-power her on screen and I would totally agree with that label, lol.

In my opinion, it would be a horrible idea introducing both Norrin and Shalla. It would not surprise me if some of the non-comic book fans watching both would wonder why would Galactus require two supremely powerful beings as heralds?

That said, I am not certain why they Marvel avoids introducing both. Norrid Radd was always there for them to select. Same goes for Air Walker, Firelord, Terrex, etc. There were all these heralds who receive heavy attention in the books BUT Marvel selects one who is obscure in comparison to the others. Plus, she was one of two Surfers. They reached for and snatched one of the pair to use from that moment in the books but why not both?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Star Trek: Discovery opened with TWO episodes today. For those like me, who see the new face in the episodes but do not recognize it right away, it's Callum Keith Rennie from the reimagined Battlestar Galactica. He played Cylon Model #2. :cool: