Comics and Movies

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have to say that I’m not really excited to see this character at all. Starting with sounding ridiculously overpowered and then to feeling like another ‘forced character’.

I think the screwed up enough by making Captain Marvel too powerful and it sounds like they’re doing it again.
uh oh. :p Well, American Chavez is definitely "ridiculously overpowered" in the comics. So is Captain Marvel. My hope is that they portray AC is accurately from the comics as Carol Danvers but we will see.

No comment on AC possibly being another "forced character." I got my fill of that from some reaction to barely two minutes near the Endgame and will not be diving back into that pool anytime soon. :D

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have to say that I’m not really excited to see this character at all. Starting with sounding ridiculously overpowered and then to feeling like another ‘forced character’.

I think they screwed up enough by making Captain Marvel too powerful and it sounds like they’re doing it again.
That was my thought as well. "Oh good, more female empowerment." But I'll wait and see.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was my thought as well. "Oh good, more female empowerment." But I'll wait and see.
I have the overwhelming urge to comment but I am currently floating over my bed while some old priest keeps spraying me with holy water and yelling at me, over and over, "THAT POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!"

I got to say. He is becoming really annoying. :cool:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have the overwhelming urge to comment but I am currently floating over my bed while some old priest keeps spraying me with holy water and yelling at me, over and over, "THAT POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!"

I got to say. He is becoming really annoying. :cool:
Hey, I said I'll wait and see!
:laugh:

quickccc

Reaction score
Not sure why but your comment made me think of how I would assign old style school grades to the Marvel superhero movies distributed by Fox. No pluses or minuses either. Just straight:

A = 4
B = 3
C = 2
D = 1
F = 0​

--according to how I felt the movie matched the comic book material in my opinion. These would be my grades (provided I did not omit any the studio's films):

B X-Men (2000)
D Daredevil (2003)
B X2 (2003)
F Elektra (2005)
C Fantastic Four (2005)
F X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)
C Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007)
D X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
A X-Men: First Class (2011)
C The Wolverine (2013)
B X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)
F Fantastic Four (2015)
B Deadpool (2016)
C X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)
A Logan (2017)
C Deadpool 2 (2018)
F X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019)
D The New Mutants (2020)

My overall grade would be 1.8, rounded off to a 2 or a C. That would match my blanket judgment of Fox's efforts. In other words, just average altogether.

Thinking about doing a report card for Disney and its MCU. Somehow I get the feeling my grade for them will not be quite as low as Fox's. :p As far as the X-Men films, I had the urge to re-post one of my favorite animated gifs I created concerning them too. :D

2nCYuKw.gif

--According to how I felt the movie matched the comic book material in my opinion. These would be my grades (provided I did not omit any the studio's films):

Thanks for Sharing ..

B X-Men (2000) ………… B

D Daredevil (2003) ……..C

B X2 (2003) ………………A

F Elektra (2005)…………..D

C Fantastic Four (2005)….D

F X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)…….C

C Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007) ..D

D X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) ………….D

A X-Men: First Class (2011) …………………..A

C The Wolverine (2013) ……………………….C

B X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)……… A

F Fantastic Four (2015) ………………………..F

B Deadpool (2016) ……………………………..B

C X-Men: Apocalypse (2016) ………………….C

A Logan (2017) ………………………… ………B

C Deadpool 2 (2018) ……………………………B

F X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019) ………………..D

D The New Mutants (2020) …………………….F

quickccc

Reaction score
I would not label Logan as a classic. For me, it is more how the character and his story was depicted on screen in relation to the Old Man Logan stories in the comics.

It was very well done in my opinion. Hugh Jackman had the opportunity of providing a very fitting end to a character Fox exploited too <expletive> much, which was a detriment to nearly its entire X-Men franchise in my book.

- XMEN 2000: begins origin of the Xmen by live film, introduced Logan-Wolverine as face/appeal of Xmen;& Magneto as villain/origin

- XMEN United as my fav Xmen film; introduced Phoenix, and further into Logan’s past/origin, A1 climax ending

- XMEN First Class – became my 2nd fav Xmen film. Particularly with young Magneto and Xavier- Inspired by the “Serenity” Magneto scenes.

- XMEN Days of Future Past: Loved the new Sentinels fighting vs young and old Xmen; introduction and display of Quicksilver

- with XMEN Apocalypse/ Last Stand/ and Dark Phoenix

- All three was basically made and ended up being nuthin; more than mere special effects flick. Apocalypse was epitome of over-kill of Magneto, how many times
have they have to go back or add to his origin ? Instead of Xavier or Storm .. or ?

- All did have really cool and entertaining CGI special effects and fight action sequences, but yet there’s little to no character development, neither 3 films could not
best explain appeal or develop the origin of the Phoenix force. Bright light bird, veins-faced, explosion and special effects..

- Apocalypse character was made so slow and cumbersome .Seem like he was a mummified zombie. Zombie would also describe Jean Grey in Last Stand.
Disappointed by 4 horsemen, whose faces were so quickly wiped, never got a look at them. Not much development with Psylocke or Dark Angel, blame more
of the Magneto saga with this - i did enjoy another de ja vue of Quicksilver again.

- Last Stand- way too many characters, villains, allies thrown together, vs each other, to where non-comic audience could not follow It clearly.
" Zombie " would also describe Jean Grey in Xmen Last Stand.

- Just like studio giving FF to a comedy director, Fox did the same with Last Stand to director Brett Raetner.(Rush Hour films)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- with XMEN Apocalypse/ Last Stand/ and Dark Phoenix

- All three was basically made and ended up being nuthin; more than mere special effects flick. Apocalypse was epitome of over-kill of Magneto, how many times
have they have to go back or add to his origin ? Instead of Xavier or Storm .. or ?

- All did have really cool and entertaining CGI special effects and fight action sequences, but yet there’s little to no character development, neither 3 films could not
best explain appeal or develop the origin of the Phoenix force. Bright light bird, veins-faced, explosion and special effects..
:hammer:Basically agree with every word.

- Apocalypse character was made so slow and cumbersome .Seem like he was a mummified zombie. Zombie would also describe Jean Grey in Last Stand.
Disappointed by 4 horsemen, whose faces were so quickly wiped, never got a look at them. Not much development with Psylocke or Dark Angel, blame more
of the Magneto saga with this - i did enjoy another de ja vue of Quicksilver again.

- Last Stand- way too many characters, villains, allies thrown together, vs each other, to where non-comic audience could not follow It clearly.
" Zombie " would also describe Jean Grey in Xmen Last Stand.
Agree again. And even though I gave X-Men: Days of Future Past a lower grade, I did enjoy Fox's (and Bryan Singer yuck) Quicksilver more than Disney's version as far as the character's exhibition of mutant power. That was one of the brighter highlights of the movie for me. My sole problem with the movie was how far it deviated from the comic book storyline, mainly due to the merging of both the original and new franchise casts together.

nobody

Reaction score
uh oh. :p Well, American Chavez is definitely "ridiculously overpowered" in the comics. So is Captain Marvel. My hope is that they portray AC is accurately from the comics as Carol Danvers but we will see.

No comment on AC possibly being another "forced character." I got my fill of that from some reaction to barely two minutes near the Endgame and will not be diving back into that pool anytime soon. :D

My problem with the character is more practical. You sometimes simply can't make a character as powerful in the movies as you can in comics because movies have a wider viewing audience. Characters that are too powerful end up being boring or the methods writers come up with to challenge them are laughably ridiculous, often making the character have to make stupid mistakes that no sane person would make in order to present a challenge.

quickccc

Reaction score
Can't disagree to much with this ratings but I think there is only so many X men movies you can make. It starts to look like the same movie after a while.

All depends upon the studio and the directors they decide to give the Xmen projects to, imo.

- Another plus was not only Xmen circle, both in members and villains, was so vast and multi versatile that origins and new casts could have been
brought to the fold for many more incoming Xmen films. - even if you have to "replace" the older cast (Halle Berry, Patrick Stewart) with younger Xmen faces for sake of
expense saving. i was more than down with that.

- The only biggest problem would have been Hugh Jackman, as let's face it, he is face of Xmen, ..although First Class proved that it's not out of the question to have a
successful Xmen flick without Wolverine. .

- i thought director Bryan Singer was brilliant with the first two Xmen films, were.. i especially loved X- United. .. the invasion of the Xavier Mansion,.. Wolverine really going berserk blood bath on hunters, ..Introduction and display of" Night Crawler " ..especially when he popped teleported to rescue Rogue from a plane fall of death. the magneto escape from a plastic cell was a thing of beauty .. Storm's tornados ..Colossuss... Wolverine vs another Adamantum fast healer ...this one had the works

- And what Fox had found a way to expand their X-characters ? Magneto's solo movie...Storm team up with Blank Panther -Wakanda ...
Legion......Psylocke . Colossus ..Juggernaut vs Xavier... Selene the Black Queen... the Hellfire Club,...The Brood ....Rachel Summers (daughter of Cyclops/Jean Grey)
Cloak and Dagger .. Bishop ... Blink.. Sunspot ... Magik:aka lllyana Rasputina -sister of Colossuss vs Omega Red .... Shiar Imperial Guard .
.. Nimrod- the most powerful sentinel ever.....Protesus ... Shadow King vs Storm .... i've heard bout " Onslaught" but not as familiar

- but i'm telling the surface of the Xmen world hasn't even come close to being scratched with astounding numbers and possibilites and wonders is just boundless,
its purely just a matter of what the studios and directors that handle them. :D

quickccc

Reaction score

I think they screwed up enough by making Captain Marvel too powerful and it sounds like they’re doing it again.

just as i'm not excited about experiencing Brie Larson and that dry acting of Carol Danvers,.again ( Capt Marvel 2 due in 2023) what a very questionable
casting. :mad:

2e84d0cbbdc3abc220787afe20b85975.jpg

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
just as i'm not excited about experiencing Brie Larson and that dry acting of Carol Danvers,.again ( Capt Marvel 2 due in 2023) what a very questionable

Sorry, I liked her. Maybe I'd feel differently if I'd known anything about the character before the movie, but to me she conveyed the stoic nature of someone who had to overcome a lot to become what she wanted to be.

nobody

Reaction score
Sorry, I liked her. Maybe I'd feel differently if I'd known anything about the character before the movie, but to me she conveyed the stoic nature of someone who had to overcome a lot to become what she wanted to be.

I think she was a terrible choice given what I know about the character....or I should say the angle she chose to play her, or how she was directed to play her. It might not have been her choice at all... But how she was presented personality-wise is not in line with what I know of her. Maybe I'm wrong.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think she was a terrible choice given what I know about the character....or I should say the angle she chose to play her, or how she was directed to play her. It might not have been her choice at all... But how she was presented personality-wise is not in line with what I know of her. Maybe I'm wrong.
I've seen a lot of Marvel fans complain about her...Don't care, I liked her.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Don’t get me wrong, I am ALL FOR THAT. Equality is very important to me. But it takes me out of things when it’s clearly forced. I don’t buy in when I can SEE the agenda.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I’m curious to see whether it was the actor or the director(s). I know what Marvel thinks as they changed directors for the second film.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i've heard bout " Onslaught" but not as familiar
Not really confident anyone could do the Onslaught storyline real justice. At its center are Charles Xavier and Eric Lenchner, who are the mental merging of the villain.

Both of those characters are completely in flux with Disney's acquisition of the mutant franchise. And will the casting change or stay the same?

The story itself is vast, although not as vast as Age of Apocalypse. A decent retelling would not be unlike a whole Marvel MCU Phase in my opinion, with many interconnected characters, both mutant and non-mutant. I got to say though. I am intrigued by the idea.