Comics and Movies

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks. I think it's a much cooler name for her.
I would be cool with it. Even the little bit shown in WandaVision fits that title.

Speaking of casting, I think they hit a homerun with Teyonah Parris playing the character. She picks up the role almost exactly as expected from the younger actress who played her as a girl. I think Parris will bring more energy to the screen than some folks saw Larsen deliver.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
oh man. That is a great question.

Days of Future Past was fairly brief, with two, maybe three issues at most, all under the Uncanny title. The dynamic change from the "usual" everyday mutant experience, although often filled with peril, mirrored normalcy. Then DFP comes along and flips everything upside down. A dreadful bleak future. Dead mutants, even the heavy hitters are gone. A desperate hypertensive secret mission is devised to reverse all that had transpired. It was an excellent time travel/paradox plot.

Not sure if Marvel ever rebooted The Brood Saga after I stopped buying comics on a weekly basis. I remember the original story, which solely fell under the Uncanny title like DFP. I will say this as a movie horror fan. That story reminded me so much of John Carpenter's The Thing. I mean, HOW can the team survive after being abducted and transformed into hideous Alien looking parasites? And yeah. They LOOKED like Ridley Scott's creatures but the transformation process reminded me moreso of The Thing because the eggs they laid inside a host converted the entire body instead of the parasite popping out of the person's body. The story was sublime and awesome.

The Dark Phoenix Saga still takes my breath away. To me, Jean Grey was a beloved character. She was originally the meek Marvel Girl, who matured over time into a well-rounded mutant superhero of her own before the infamous space shuttle mission. Cosmic being and mutant merged into one being. After that new hybrid character take root over a short time, Chris Claremont and John Bryne allowed TDPS to take Jean and the rest of the team down into a hell hole, with the Hellfire Club being the catalyst of Dark Phoenix's emergence. I could be wrong but I think it was the first time the title itself went cosmic. Jean freaking destroyed an entire solar system. An ENTIRE solar system. Like it was nothing. Xavier and Beast got her mind back under control just in time for the Shi'ar to swoop in and put The Phoenix on trial for genocide. Jean makes the ultimate sacrifice in the end, saving Scott and the everyone else (maybe in the entire galaxy or more) from utter destruction. I am almost tempted to say TDPS was the biggest except...

Age of Apocalypse.

Age.
Of.
Apocalypse.
Marvel Comics had this idea. Place the X-Men at the center of its universe. Have events warp reality itself into a totally different one even more bleak than what was seen in DFP. And connected EVERY <expletive> X-Men publication title to that story. No X-title (What? Seven? Eight? I do not remember exactly how many publications got lumped in) was spared. Every character in the "normal" universe was twisted under Apocalypse's shadow. Good guys became bad guys. Bad guys became good guys. So much to discuss. Do not have that kind of time though lol. Little things were fantastic. Like. How the HECK did Wolverine end up one handed?????? Oh. Cyclops optic beamed that hand into nothingness that's how. And that reveal did not surface until well into the saga that last an ENTIRE year. TWELVE months. 12. And his Horsemen! All bad <expletive>. And the main man himself, Apocalypse, was so utterly evil, not only wiping out the whole homo sapien race in favor of homo superior all over the North American continent and was about to expand his genocidal campaign regularly across the globe before he was stopped. He was even more cruel towards mutants he considered weak.

And all this happened without Charles Xavier.

Biggest? In my opinion, it's AOA. Final answer.

Edit: Left out Byrne's name again. What is WRONG with me? :banghead:
Seriously, what IS wrong with you? Why do you hate John Byrne so much? :huh:

AoA is the biggest, it spanned more titles and longest.
DPS is my favorite, it just "felt" like the biggest. The team changed after that. Jean Grey was a beloved character, but she was a touchstone for the rest of the team. She was the mediator, the calm one, the encouraging one, the one the rest could talk to, so when she does her heel turn.......... :omg:

DoFP, you're right it was only two issues, but it was probably the "biggest" 2 issue story ever written. I still remember the cover, "This Issue. Everybody Dies"
clean.jpg

It's funny that you mention Ridley Scott and Alien in the Brood story. They actually did a single issue homage to Alien with Kitty Pryde playing the Ripley role.

Byrne has recalled that "We wanted to do an homage to the movie Alien, and I don't know whether I was demented or what in those days, but I honestly thought when I was drawing it that people wouldn't instantly realize where we got it from. I thought I was being really clever, how I was making little twists and turns to change it. Only the ending where she used the Blackbird (jet) to blast the N'Garai to death was the same. And then Chris kind of wrote [the script] even more like the movie. By the time I actually read it, it was like, 'Oh, well, wait till the lawsuits come...' But they never did."

:laugh:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I ain't getting no real work done today. :p
Seriously, what IS wrong with you? Why do you hate John Byrne so much? :huh:
I'm like Raj from The Big Bang Theory:

AoA is the biggest, it spanned more titles and longest.
DPS is my favorite, it just "felt" like the biggest. The team changed after that. Jean Grey was a beloved character, but she was a touchstone for the rest of the team. She was the mediator, the calm one, the encouraging one, the one the rest could talk to, so when she does her heel turn.......... :omg:

DoFP, you're right it was only two issues, but it was probably the "biggest" 2 issue story ever written. I still remember the cover, "This Issue. Everybody Dies"
clean.jpg
Hey. I have zero problem with anyone disagreeing with me. Days of Future Past was awesome and does not really take a backseat to any other story.

Great issue cover. :starspin:
It's funny that you mention Ridley Scott and Alien in the Brood story. They actually did a single issue homage to Alien with Kitty Pryde playing the Ripley role.

Byrne has recalled that "We wanted to do an homage to the movie Alien, and I don't know whether I was demented or what in those days, but I honestly thought when I was drawing it that people wouldn't instantly realize where we got it from. I thought I was being really clever, how I was making little twists and turns to change it. Only the ending where she used the Blackbird (jet) to blast the N'Garai to death was the same. And then Chris kind of wrote [the script] even more like the movie. By the time I actually read it, it was like, 'Oh, well, wait till the lawsuits come...' But they never did."

I cannot recall reading or hearing that story before. Maybe I have and forgotten it. Thanks for posting that.

Perhaps the movie bigwigs did not think much of a comic book rendition of Alien. I'm glad. The Brood Saga was fantastic. :flagwave:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I ain't getting no real work done today. :p
I'm like Raj from The Big Bang Theory:

Hey. I have zero problem with anyone disagreeing with me. Days of Future Past was awesome and does not really take a backseat to any other story.

Great issue cover. :starspin:
I cannot recall reading or hearing that story before. Maybe I have and forgotten it. Thanks for posting that.

Perhaps the movie bigwigs did not think much of a comic book rendition of Alien. I'm glad. The Brood Saga was fantastic. :flagwave:

I know why you can't remember, because it was John Byrne's last Uncanny X-Men. You seem to have a real John Byrne block! :confused: :p

It was the issue right after "Days of Future Past", it was also their Christmas issue. It was kinda of a mashup between "Home Alone" and "Alien" o_O

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness
wjAKsfW.png

8.50 of 10.00

A bit of advice for anyone going to see it. Buckle up. You are in for a ride.

Special effects? Superb. Great visuals of sorcery AND witchcraft and some sci-fi thrown in too.

As expected, Benedict Cumberbatch and Benedict Wong are a perfect pair as Strange and Wong. Glad to see they allowed Rachel McAdams much more screen time in the sequel. Elisabeth Olsen brings the house. Thanos is fortunate he did not run into her now lol.

For what it is worth, America Chavez, played by Xochitl Gomez, who I believe will be a MCU fixture for some time to come, is not ridiculously overpowered for practically the entire movie. However, the character demonstrated enough that what she did show is only the tip of the iceberg.

So MANY spoilers. Hopefully, many will see it sooner than later so they can be talked about (without being deleted, lol). Just a couple more things to mention for now:
  • I have zero idea what happens to WandaVision now.
  • The first ending credit scene pops up early with a very familiar face not seen throughout the movie and any previous MCU movie or series. It is a brief appearance but I think it is worth the wait.
  • The second ending credit scene happens at the very end of the scroll with a face seen during the movie. It is not that much BUT you might wait in order to have a good honest chuckle before leaving.
Next up for the MCU: The Thunderer Dude...

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The link will not be posted because the video contains language but...

...if you want to see a hilariously good review of Dr. Strange 2 WITHOUT spoilers, check out @thepandaredd video (2:05) So I saw Doctor Strange 2 on TikTok. He is exactly the kind of movie/comics fan I could sit-and-watch a film with. :laugh:

quickccc

Reaction score
Gonna go super nerd for a sec.

Mar-vell was the original male character's Kree name. His superhero name was Captain Marvel (no hyphen). Mar-vell died of cancer from the radiation you mentioned, a unique ending for a comics character at the time. In the comics, Danvers adopted Mar-vell's title following his death. The female character was Captain Marvel before the movie version was made.

Off-topic: I still consider the male Captain Marvel's uniform one of the best designs ever drawn in comics.

Original Ms. Marvel costume
5723b342c1596a2a93dbabec2d93bda4.jpg

New Ms Marvel costume
c0244912f44500476db32cdc09952e17.jpg

quickccc

Reaction score
Gonna go super nerd for a sec.

Mar-vell was the original male character's Kree name. His superhero name was Captain Marvel (no hyphen). Mar-vell died of cancer from the radiation you mentioned, a unique ending for a comics character at the time. In the comics, Danvers adopted Mar-vell's title following his death. The female character was Captain Marvel before the movie version was made.

Off-topic: I still consider the male Captain Marvel's uniform one of the best designs ever drawn in comics.

042e8fd92c5c5d69a749b8cd8b2d4372.jpg

528f2e31a3cb8748d6d7948d0d837f2d.jpg

7509e01eb3895a8e693a7b7a52f9e0ed.jpg

6cfb87061d1e6e37120806a49e9b09ad.jpg

72f641846c9a0e409e2da82a68f05faf.jpg

quickccc

Reaction score
I also loved the original Captain Marvel costume, along with his * Nega-Bands * ... (and yes, Marvel Comics' Captain. Marvel,.. not DC's Shazam's Capt. Marvel)

But i also give kudos to Marvel Comics for upgrading Ms. Marvel ole school cosmic costume, to a more dazzling pazzazzy black and gold costume.

Also wasn't there another Captain Marvel that arrived on the scene years later ? Marvel Comics introduced a black female Capt. Marvel that could transform her body
into several forms of living light and radiation ?.. Including traveling at the speed of light ?

She initially joined the West Coast Avengers I believe.

Monica Tambeau. Daughter of Carol Danvers’s friend Maria. A kid in the first Captain Marvel film, grown up in WandaVision. She’s supposed to be featured in The Marvels, the Captain Marvel sequel.

926e6b507d93cb130dba6ce4e318627c.jpg

d93c6b445ff0a9efe2aac5697efe3898.jpg

f13da90dd0fa9ed36bca0db7eb37cfcf.jpg

d13e0b54f153fb0ce0a52736376e8eed.jpg

499c7879f6da4ce903ebf133b2d9e57c.jpg

5be64214a6177c3087a0d368742196ef.jpg

quickccc

Reaction score
This will be my final off-topic nerd out (keep your fingers crossed :p ). Everyone blame @Runwildboys for inspiring me. ;) The following comic book issues comprises the genius of Chris Claremont and John Bryne' The Dark Phoenix Saga:

5cTSc0w.jpg

vnZsksg.jpg

Br14ZVg.jpg

3RzIiJF.jpg

CERA4TN.jpg

DlMkAQh.jpg

EsrTwr7.jpg

4DU344G.jpg

6446UaG.jpg

6p0mZOE.jpg

Man. It's been a looooooooooong time since I saw those prices. :laugh:

i will say this with the Dark Phoenix saga,.. the Xmen 90's animation easily and much better displayed the battle between Professor Xavier vs Dark Phoenix.

The comic version came down to just a " blink of an eye battle" ..and that was it ... it was over.

In fact I actually enjoyed the entire Phoenix and Dark Phoenix saga thru 90's animation series ,than i did the Marvel comics.
:grin:

terra

Reaction score
I am thinking they are probably at the peak; everything fades sooner or later.

With Star wars ending with definite whimper (hated what they did to Luke's character) and Disney sort of scrambling and the animated movies past their peak from elsewhere, Marvel has a window to really dominate for a year or two at least.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

i will say this with the Dark Phoenix saga,.. the Xmen 90's animation easily and much better displayed the battle between Professor Xavier vs Dark Phoenix.

The comic version came down to just a " blink of an eye battle" ..and that was it ... it was over.
This I agree with. :thumbup:

In fact I actually enjoyed the entire Phoenix and Dark Phoenix saga thru 90's animation series ,than i did the Marvel comics.
:grin:
This I cannot agree with. Not me. Nope. uh uh. No way. :thumbdown:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

With Star wars ending with definite whimper (hated what they did to Luke's character) and Disney sort of scrambling and the animated movies past their peak from elsewhere, Marvel has a window to really dominate for a year or two at least.
Well, practically everything does fade eventually. Other than that: :huh:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness
wjAKsfW.png

8.50 of 10.00

A bit of advice for anyone going to see it. Buckle up. You are in for a ride.

Special effects? Superb. Great visuals of sorcery AND witchcraft and some sci-fi thrown in too.

As expected, Benedict Cumberbatch and Benedict Wong are a perfect pair as Strange and Wong. Glad to see they allowed Rachel McAdams much more screen time in the sequel. Elisabeth Olsen brings the house. Thanos is fortunate he did not run into her now lol.

For what it is worth, America Chavez, played by Xochitl Gomez, who I believe will be a MCU fixture for some time to come, is not ridiculously overpowered for practically the entire movie. However, the character demonstrated enough that what she did show is only the tip of the iceberg.

So MANY spoilers. Hopefully, many will see it sooner than later so they can be talked about (without being deleted, lol). Just a couple more things to mention for now:
  • I have zero idea what happens to WandaVision now.
  • The first ending credit scene pops up early with a very familiar face not seen throughout the movie and any previous MCU movie or series. It is a brief appearance but I think it is worth the wait.
  • The second ending credit scene happens at the very end of the scroll with a face seen during the movie. It is not that much BUT you might wait in order to have a good honest chuckle before leaving.
Next up for the MCU: The Thunderer Dude...

It feels as if you and I saw different films. I’m willing to bet right now that this one will not be the box office success that Disney/Marvel are used to. It won’t come close to what Spider-Man: No Way Home did for sure.

They took characters and this film in wrong directions and made bad choices.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It feels as if you and I saw different films. I’m willing to bet right now that this one will not be the box office success that Disney/Marvel are used to. It won’t come close to what Spider-Man: No Way Home did for sure.

Well crap! (If I agree.)

quickccc

Reaction score

The Marvel Universe is far too vast of characters to die off in a year or two, ..that's why we are and will continue to see record breaking box office numbers
from Marvel movies in cinema viewing world. Even new ones like Black Widow, .Eternals .....Shang Chi ....they even add to the already familiar ones.

And it doesn't stop at the move theaters... streaming has become an enormous part of our viewing entertainment live (especially vs ridiculous cable cost) ..and whatever doesn't wind up at the theaters, comes to us at our stream viewing homs ala Moon Knight, Wanda- Vision, Hawkeye solo, Winter Soldier/Falcon (my fav Disney series) Loki, etc.

And it wasn't Disney that started streaming super heroes series ( Netflix?)

And the superhero films and series are attracting viewers who don't even follow the Marvel comic book world, but super heroes trend is happening big time ..and no one but Marvel is clearly leading that course of action and appeal.

That's why they have been ..an will always such a distance miles and towering heights above what DC Comics could ever hope to achieve.
And that includes heroes .. and villains ( ala Venom, Morbius, etc) but of course just like the superhero movie,a villain flick would depend upon who the studios decide to make the film.

Heck , I wouldn't be surprised if Disney.Marvel decide to do a Thanos solo movie.

All due respect but DC is vastly limited to just a handful of viewing characters -Superman, Batman, Aquaman and Wonder Woman, And how many Batman reboot or new additions are we gonna see. ..? They are coming out with Black Adam who is tied into the Shazam world. but Shazam is not a record breaking attraction.

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score

Two things may factor in the opening box office
1) Canelo Alvrez fight night ( Cinco De Maya holdiay weekend)
2) Popularity of Spiderman vs Dr. Strange's popularity
3) most importantly .... (drum roll pleeaze) ... the Movie Critics review.

Ironic that it was Strange that had a huge part and role in that last Spidey film you're mentioning now ' No Way Home " ...

Let's face it , the general population falls into and for whatever the movie critics say .. if they (critics) love it... viewers will flock to the theaters to must-see it.
If the critics hiss and heckle at a film and give it a bad review ... then the film might as well be packed up and thrown into the basement, if critics hate it, audience
will believe it and brush the movie aside.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Two things may factor in the opening box office
1) Canelo Alvrez fight night ( Cinco De Maya holdiay weekend)
2) Popularity of Spiderman vs Dr. Strange's popularity
3) most importantly .... (drum roll pleeaze) ... the Movie Critics review.

Ironic that it was Strange that had a huge part and role in that last Spidey film you're mentioning now ' No Way Home " ...

Let's face it , the general population falls into and for whatever the movie critics say .. if they (critics) love it... viewers will flock to the theaters to must-see it.
If the critics hiss and heckle at a film and give it a bad review ... then the film might as well be packed up and thrown into the basement, if critics hate it, audience
will believe it and brush the movie aside.

I’m not seeing critics “hiss and heckle” and “giving it bad reviews”.

I just think that they’re going in directions that simply won’t be as popular with their fan base. Marvel has been at this for a long while now, and fans have grown to know what to expect. And when they don’t get that, the box office shows that accordingly. I expect that it will here as well.

Most of Phase 4 have been questionable decisions and decreased box office supports that. And this is coming from someone who was questioning things BEFORE, when Phase 4 was first announced.