Comics and Movies

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Need opinions since I may be misreading this article's passage:

Source link: https://editorial.rottentomatoes.co...-brings-the-thunder-with-143-million-opening/

Okay. The article's author mentions five flims: Ragnarok, 3 Spider-Man movies and Multiverse of Madness. He also mentions the interconnected relationship between movies by writing 'MCU', 'Universe' and 'Phase Four'.

So. Why mention Morbius "as an outlier?" That film is not part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Could be wrong but methinks the author believes he knows what the MCU is but doesn't really know. I will credit him for knowing Morbius is a Marvel movie though. Am I right? Or am I wrong?

That’s exactly how I read it. He doesn’t seem to realize that but all films that say “Marvel” are connected.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Source link: https://editorial.rottentomatoes.co...-brings-the-thunder-with-143-million-opening/

Okay. The article's author mentions five flims: Ragnarok, 3 Spider-Man movies and Multiverse of Madness. He also mentions the interconnected relationship between movies by writing 'MCU', 'Universe' and 'Phase Four'.

So. Why mention Morbius "as an outlier?" That film is not part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Could be wrong but methinks the author believes he knows what the MCU is but doesn't really know. I will credit him for knowing Morbius is a Marvel movie though. Am I right? Or am I wrong?
I don't know. Does that help?

quickccc

Reaction score
Marvel & DC Mocked Their Captain Marvel Legal Issues in the Perfect Way
By Nickolas Williams | Screen Rant
July 10, 2022

Captain-Marvel-and-Shazam.jpg

The name "Captain Marvel" is one of the most contentious in all of comic book history, mainly due to the complicated legal battle resulting in both Marvel and DC publishing stories with superheroes bearing the Captain Marvel name. DC acquired the rights to the original Captain Marvel, Billy Batson, later known as Shazam, from former rival publisher Fawcett Comics in 1972, but by then Marvel had already created its own Captain Marvel, Mar-Vell, securing the rights to the name in 1967. When Marvel and DC did their JLA/Avengers crossover event in 2003, they took a panel to make a joke at their own expense and acknowledge the confusion they created by having two completely separate characters share the same name.

In JLA/Avengers by George Pérez and Kurt Busiek, the respective teams are pawns in a game being played by DC villain Krona and Marvel villain the Grandmaster that involves collecting six famous Macguffins from both universes. The real point of the crossover was the same as any, getting two iconic franchises to battle against and inevitably alongside each other, and on that front, the book delivers, culminating in an epic battle on the hollowed remains of Galactus. In issue #4, as the Avengers and Justice League join forces to face off against every conceivable villain they’ve ever faced, fans were treated to a perfectly timed Captain Marvel joke in the midst of all the chaos.

In order to avoid friendly fire while taking aim at Polkadot Man of all people, Dr. Light cries “Captain Marvel, look out!” warning both Captain Marvels at the same time while only uttering the name once. Dr. Light getting a simultaneous “thanks” from both Captain Marvels serves as the perfect punchline to this well-timed gag, truly highlighting the absurdity of superhero comic history. As a cherry on top, DC’s Captain Marvel is depicted punching his Marvel counterpart's arch nemesis, Ronan the Accuser, while Marvel’s Captain Marvel is shown to be punching his DC analog’s nemesis, Black Adam. The two biggest brands in comics weren’t just acknowledging their past legal disputes over the name, they were blatantly mocking the situation.

Read more

I actually thought “ captain marvel” for Shazam, was sort of a sub-name such as “ Man of Steel “ … “ Cape Crusader “ … or “Boy Wonder

And frankly why was there a change to Marvel’s Capt. Marvel .. to Mar-vell ?
I didn’t realize Shazam wasn’t a DC creation origin. Came from Fawcett Comics (who?!!) … and who mimicked whom ? who ripped off whom ?

Both shazam and Superman’s powers seem to identical in super powers such as .flight, invulnerable, speed, strength.
Only shazam has no laser eyes, or cold breath. and i read he has limited magical abilities, which Superman is vulnerable to.

I feel Marvel themselves have had bouts of whackiness themselves with the Capt Marvel title name , instead of staying with only one Captain Marvell (ala Mar-Vell)
they decided to keep recycling and re-using the Capt. Marvel name title ….ala Captain Marvel aka Spectrum-Monica. .. why?

quickccc

Reaction score

Yeh what a total whiff and miss by the author of this rotten tomatoes article, must have an average attention span like i do. ? ...lol ... :D

...and only 67% from Rotten Toms critics ?
but yet they couldn't scare viewing fans away from Love- Thunder.

nobody

Reaction score
I actually thought “ captain marvel” for Shazam, was sort of a sub-name such as “ Man of Steel “ … “ Cape Crusader “ … or “Boy Wonder

And frankly why was there a change to Marvel’s Capt. Marvel .. to Mar-vell ?
I didn’t realize Shazam wasn’t a DC creation origin. Came from Fawcett Comics (who?!!) … and who mimicked whom ? who ripped off whom ?

Both shazam and Superman’s powers seem to identical in super powers such as .flight, invulnerable, speed, strength.
Only shazam has no laser eyes, or cold breath. and i read he has limited magical abilities, which Superman is vulnerable to.

I feel Marvel themselves have had bouts of whackiness themselves with the Capt Marvel title name , instead of staying with only one Captain Marvell (ala Mar-Vell)
they decided to keep recycling and re-using the Capt. Marvel name title ….ala Captain Marvel aka Spectrum-Monica. .. why?

Shazam and Superman ripped off each other over those early years. Superman stole flight from Shazam, for example. Before that, he could only leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Okay. Just one super long reply post per day for me. :D
Seems like James Cameron may have struck a nerve with you...... lol I'm kinda glad that that he does have a bit of an ego and maybe give him some extra incentive into making the upcoming Avatar movies that much better. That extra motivation may reward us with another great movie, so I'm all for his feelings of competitiveness. Avatar was one of those all time great movies and Cameron is one of the few that has accomplished the relatively rare feat of having a sequel live up to expectations (Aliens and T2)

Personally, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to box office numbers, even less so on opening weekend numbers. Like any record, they're meant to be broken and even more so when we're talking about inflated dollars. It's kinda like trying to compare football stats from different eras. It's tough to take a Top 10 list too seriously that includes "Furious 7".:p
It's been quite a while, but I did look at a list of the top box office movies that were adjusted for inflation. It was interesting and Gone With The Wind was still the champ.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems like James Cameron may have struck a nerve with you...... lol I'm kinda glad that that he does have a bit of an ego and maybe give him some extra incentive into making the upcoming Avatar movies that much better. That extra motivation may reward us with another great movie, so I'm all for his feelings of competitiveness. Avatar was one of those all time great movies and Cameron is one of the few that has accomplished the relatively rare feat of having a sequel live up to expectations (Aliens and T2)

Personally, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to box office numbers, even less so on opening weekend numbers. Like any record, they're meant to be broken and even more so when we're talking about inflated dollars. It's kinda like trying to compare football stats from different eras. It's tough to take a Top 10 list too seriously that includes "Furious 7".:p
It's been quite a while, but I did look at a list of the top box office movies that were adjusted for inflation. It was interesting and Gone With The Wind was still the champ.
lol @ "a bit of" :muttley:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
lol @ "a bit of" :muttley:
LOL, I think it's all kinda relative, compared to the rest of society, but compared to other directors in general, having a big ego kinda goes with the job, especially those that have been successful. Tarantino, Welles, Hitchcock, Coppola, Scorsese, Kubrick, Kurosawa, Stone, Fincher, Bay, Snyder, Scott.......

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL, I think it's all kinda relative, compared to the rest of society, but compared to other directors in general, having a big ego kinda goes with the job, especially those that have been successful. Tarantino, Welles, Hitchcock, Coppola, Scorsese, Kubrick, Kurosawa, Stone, Fincher, Bay, Snyder, Scott.......
There is a misconception about ego. The majority of human beings have an inner Tarantino or a Scorsese or a Scott within them. It is demonstrated in the myriad of things we do, just in forms of different passions that may not have anything to do with directing movies, lol.

The minority of us have egos on steroids. It is a lifelong personality trait. I may be perceived as picking on Cameron just for his "passionate dislike" of movies I enjoy but he has been this way for decades.

There was an excellent 2009 article on Cameron from The New Yorker by Dana Goodyear called "Man of Extremes." I googled it and it is still available. It is a subscription site, so I will not be posting the link but first time readers can get free access to it on their initial visit.

The article provides some insightful examples of Cameron's personality. Perhaps some would still envision a guy having a typical big ego but it is actually much more than that. Not trying to change anyone's mind. Just stating what is.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After four seasons, ‘Snowpiercer’ is being cancelled
By Jenifer Carter | Digital Crime
July 12, 2022

a-601.jpg

Snowpiercer fans will be sad to learn that the dystopian thriller will not be returning for additional episodes following the production of Season 4, which is now underway, according to Deadline. One of the last remaining people is the focus of this seven-year-old serial, which takes place after a catastrophic event freezes the planet. All that is left of humanity is kept alive aboard a speeding train that never stops.
It’s a shock that Snowpiercer has been cancelled, especially since the main events of the Season 3 finale seemed to indicate that the plot will be moving into a new and exciting area in the future seasons.

Following the merger between Discovery and WarnerMedia, TNT’s parent company, the series was cancelled, which will likely lead to the cancellation of additional projects in the near future and radically reorganise the financial models of Warner Bros. On the same day as the premiere of the last season of Snowpiercer, the sixth and final season of Animal Kingdom, another live-action series on TNT, will air. It all began with Bong Joon-(Parasite) ho’s 2013 cinematic adaptation of the Snowpiercer graphic novel series. Tilda Swinton and Chris Evans (The Avengers) both won great accolades for their roles in the picture (Doctor Strange).

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chris Hemsworth Shares Sweet ‘Superhero’ Moment With Daughter India Rose on the Set of ‘Thor: Love and Thunder’: Pics
By Kat Pettibone | US Weekly
July 11, 2022

Chris-Hemsworth-Daugther-India-Rose.jpeg

A family of Gods! Chris Hemsworth is sharing behind-the-scenes footage from the set of Thor: Love and Thunder — including some of daughter India Rose Hemsworth.

Marvel Moms and Dads! See Chris Hemsworth and More Stars' Family Photos
Following the superhero flick’s debut at the box office on Friday, July 8, the Australia native, 38, took to Instagram to post a few never before seen photos from the franchise.

“Here’s two pics of me and my daughter,” he captioned the carousel of images on Sunday, July 10. “She’s my favorite superhero.”

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kevin Smith on Martin Scorsese's Marvel Criticism: 'You Should Not Be Surprised That's His Response'
By Anthony Lund | MovieWeb
July 11, 2022

TsBdUi8kQCqznb3nrxYdW4QTsvE7C7.jpg

Martin Scorsese’s comments about Marvel superhero movies have been well documented. Now Kevin Smith has waded in to give his take on Scorsese’s often scathing remarks when it comes to superhero movies. In 2019, Scorsese was asked his opinion about movies such as those from the Marvel and DC stables, and the director of serious movies such as The Godfather and The Wolf of Wall Street, said he felt they offered no value to the world of cinema. Smith recently commented on the opinions of Scorsese and others like him while speaking to Forbes, and expressed his belief that “old filmmakers” just shouldn’t be asked about popular modern movies. Smith said:
"Oftentimes those directors, it seems, have been in situations, were doing junkets or an interview situation, and it's a question that gets thrown in there, and it's not like them going, 'Get me the New York Times! I want to tell somebody how I feel about comic book movies.' It's also an adjacent to a zillion other questions that are being asked, but in our culture, in our very tribal culture, somebody like Martin Scorsese referring to comic book movies as amusement parks and theme park rides gets a bunch of people who have made comic book movies their lives for the last 10 years very unhappy.

You're asking a guy who made Goodfellas what he thinks about [Spider-Man], what do you think you're going to get? He's a very serious filmmaker, and he's a man who's of a certain age and stuck in his ways. You should not be surprised that's his response. For every old filmmaker who's like, 'I don't get it,' there's a bunch of young filmmakers who are like, 'I get it and I want to do it.' We don't have to ostracize the people that maybe don't get or aren't into the same movies we are."
Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Superman vs Thor: Which superhero would win in a fight?
By Jakob Barnes | The Digital Fix
July 12, 2022

superman-versus-thor-900x506.jpg

Who would win in a fight between Superman and Thor? These two comic book characters are quite literally gods, and two of the most iconic faces from the DCEU and MCU respectively. You may have often found yourself wondering who is more powerful though, so it’s time to settle that debate once and for all.

Superman is from the planet Krypton, which was destroyed when he was just a baby. The final act of his father, Jor-El, was to send young Kal-El to Earth in an escape pod. When the little alien lands on our planet, he is adopted by Martha and Jonathan Kent, but it soon becomes apparent that Clark, as they name him, has superhuman abilities thanks to Earth’s low gravity and the power of our sun.

Thor, on the other hand, is the god of thunder and the first in line for the throne of Asgard, a race of Viking-like warriors from space. In the MCU timeline, Thor comes to Earth to retrieve his nefarious brother Loki, and ends up putting his magic hammer Mjölnir to good use when he joins the Avengers. But, is he strong enough to defeat the Man of Steel?

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Most Anticipated Superhero Movies In 2023
By Vanessa Ruiz | Comic Years
July 11, 2022

From Marvel to DC, from heroes to antiheroes, today we bring you the eight most anticipated superhero movies in 2023. Superhero releases have been quite successful in recent years. Iron Man, Captain America, The Avengers, Spider-Man, Batman, Superman and the Justice League are just a few names on the list. The successes continue to give the green light for new sequels, prequels, and spin-offs related to the superhero world.

Their success has been so great that they are already making new films and TV shows, especially in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Even though some movies and actors have suffered setbacks, the public still waits for some of these products to release and has high expectations.

Upcoming Superhero Movies in 2023
The Marvels (Marvel)

Read more

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
After four seasons, ‘Snowpiercer’ is being cancelled
By Jenifer Carter | Digital Crime
July 12, 2022

a-601.jpg

Snowpiercer fans will be sad to learn that the dystopian thriller will not be returning for additional episodes following the production of Season 4, which is now underway, according to Deadline. One of the last remaining people is the focus of this seven-year-old serial, which takes place after a catastrophic event freezes the planet. All that is left of humanity is kept alive aboard a speeding train that never stops.
It’s a shock that Snowpiercer has been cancelled, especially since the main events of the Season 3 finale seemed to indicate that the plot will be moving into a new and exciting area in the future seasons.

Following the merger between Discovery and WarnerMedia, TNT’s parent company, the series was cancelled, which will likely lead to the cancellation of additional projects in the near future and radically reorganise the financial models of Warner Bros. On the same day as the premiere of the last season of Snowpiercer, the sixth and final season of Animal Kingdom, another live-action series on TNT, will air. It all began with Bong Joon-(Parasite) ho’s 2013 cinematic adaptation of the Snowpiercer graphic novel series. Tilda Swinton and Chris Evans (The Avengers) both won great accolades for their roles in the picture (Doctor Strange).

Read more
All that's left of humanity is on a speeding train that never stops...on a frozen Earth? What the...?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Most Anticipated Superhero Movies In 2023
By Vanessa Ruiz | Comic Years
July 11, 2022

From Marvel to DC, from heroes to antiheroes, today we bring you the eight most anticipated superhero movies in 2023. Superhero releases have been quite successful in recent years. Iron Man, Captain America, The Avengers, Spider-Man, Batman, Superman and the Justice League are just a few names on the list. The successes continue to give the green light for new sequels, prequels, and spin-offs related to the superhero world.

Their success has been so great that they are already making new films and TV shows, especially in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Even though some movies and actors have suffered setbacks, the public still waits for some of these products to release and has high expectations.

Upcoming Superhero Movies in 2023
The Marvels (Marvel)

Read more

This is a poor article. Numerous mistakes and the release dates aren’t even accurate.
:thumbdown: