Comics and Movies

quickccc

Reaction score
Because Sony isn’t interested in giving up their cash cow.

So there's still a legal right control that Disney still currently is processing ?

They've already bought out the rights to Marvel from Fox Studios
Ditto with Netflix.
So i'm assuming that its' only a matter of time with Sony studio ?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
So there's still a legal right control that Disney still currently is processing ?

They've already bought out the rights to Marvel from Fox Studios
Ditto with Netflix.
So i'm assuming that its' only a matter of time with Sony studio ?
Disney didn't buy out the rights from Fox Studios, they just went out and bought Fox Studios, so problem solved. They way I understand it is Sony got in on the ground floor, basically, Marvel didn't have a studio and was hurting for money and selling comics and toys was their main focus, so just sold them the rights, with in hindsight, are pretty laughable conditions. Sony paid $7 million and maintains the rights as long as they put out a Spiderman movie every few years.

One day Disney may buy out the rights, but how much would it take? That's a huge cash cow, Sony can put out a Spidey movie and make $1billion+ with every movie, so much would it take to pry that away? How aggressive does Disney want to get since they own the merchandise rights? They can just rake up the money up that falls off Sony's movie money tree. I'm sure there's a number that could make it happen, I certainly don't have enough fingers and toes to count what that would be.

As fans, it would be nice to see him in the MCU, but we're finally starting to see that already. It may be better that Sony keeps him, if Disney owned it outright, it's also possible we would see less of him with all the phases and other characters they are working on. At least with Sony, we're pretty much guaranteed to have a new Spidey movie every few years and that they finally realized the kind of cash and impact those movies can make, especially if they can maintain the quality. Who knows, Sony may even be able to entice James Cameron to make that Spidey movie he never got the chance to make. I'm sure @DallasEast would love to see that! :p

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who knows, Sony may even be able to entice James Cameron to make that Spidey movie he never got the chance to make. I'm sure @DallasEast would love to see that! :p
Here's my prediction if that ever happens.

Everyone will see a solid shift in Cameron's past MCU rhetoric since he would become a part of it.

I can only wonder why that would ever happen if it became true. :D

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Here's my prediction if that ever happens.

Everyone will see a solid shift in Cameron's past MCU rhetoric since he would become a part of it.

I can only wonder why that would ever happen if it became true. :D
It may make him even worse, it's Sony and not Disney (MCU) afterall. Imagine how insufferable he would be if that Spidey movie became the biggest box office ever. He could say that not only did he beat them, he beat them at their own game. o_O

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Disney didn't buy out the rights from Fox Studios, they just went out and bought Fox Studios, so problem solved. They way I understand it is Sony got in on the ground floor, basically, Marvel didn't have a studio and was hurting for money and selling comics and toys was their main focus, so just sold them the rights, with in hindsight, are pretty laughable conditions. Sony paid $7 million and maintains the rights as long as they put out a Spiderman movie every few years.

One day Disney may buy out the rights, but how much would it take? That's a huge cash cow, Sony can put out a Spidey movie and make $1billion+ with every movie, so much would it take to pry that away? How aggressive does Disney want to get since they own the merchandise rights? They can just rake up the money up that falls off Sony's movie money tree. I'm sure there's a number that could make it happen, I certainly don't have enough fingers and toes to count what that would be.

As fans, it would be nice to see him in the MCU, but we're finally starting to see that already. It may be better that Sony keeps him, if Disney owned it outright, it's also possible we would see less of him with all the phases and other characters they are working on. At least with Sony, we're pretty much guaranteed to have a new Spidey movie every few years and that they finally realized the kind of cash and impact those movies can make, especially if they can maintain the quality. Who knows, Sony may even be able to entice James Cameron to make that Spidey movie he never got the chance to make. I'm sure @DallasEast would love to see that! :p

Nice explanation of the situation.
:thumbup:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Nice explanation of the situation.
:thumbup:
Marvel was hurting so bad for cash is that they offered up the rights for all their characters. Fox had already picked up X-Men and FF and the only other property that was bought was Spiderman for $7 million, no other studio wanted any other characters. What seems kinda crazy now, but any of them could have been bought for substantially less than Spidey, The Avengers, Iron Man, Capt America, Thor, etc with probably a similar deal.

nobody

Reaction score
Marvel was hurting so bad for cash is that they offered up the rights for all their characters. Fox had already picked up X-Men and FF and the only other property that was bought was Spiderman for $7 million, no other studio wanted any other characters. What seems kinda crazy now, but any of them could have been bought for substantially less than Spidey, The Avengers, Iron Man, Capt America, Thor, etc with probably a similar deal.

Marvel's mistake was not putting in a definitive the rights revert back after X years period and went with as long as a movie with that character is put out ever set number of years, the rights stay in the studio's hands. They were desperate though.

Marvel's management made soo many mistakes that brought them to that brink.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Marvel's mistake was not putting in a definitive the rights revert back after X years period and went with as long as a movie with that character is put out ever set number of years, the rights stay in the studio's hands. They were desperate though.

Marvel's management made soo many mistakes that brought them to that brink.
Yep, they were on the brink of bankruptcy and pretty desperate. I think the deal with Fox for the X-Men did stipulate a number of years, think it was 12 films in 20 years and solo character films would have counted (ie. Wolverine and Deadpool). I would have liked to see a solo "Storm" movie.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yep. And those past rights deals have created quite the mess for Disney/Marvel to ‘clean up’ at this point. While I’d love to see the Spider-Man rights come ‘home’ eventually, I’m not holding my breath. Don’t - with Disney/Feige help - just made over a billion dollars on their last film. He’s not going anywhere any time soon.

Instead, I’m glad that FF and X-Men are back in the fold. Fox ran them into the ground.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would have liked to see a solo "Storm" movie.
:hammer:

It should have happened after X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Just another stupid FOX decision. Have multiple characters but make only one movie for one of them. I could not care less if Hugh Jackman was seen as a cash cow. If the plan was one movie, the title should have left out the word 'Origins'.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Yep. And those past rights deals have created quite the mess for Disney/Marvel to ‘clean up’ at this point. While I’d love to see the Spider-Man rights come ‘home’ eventually, I’m not holding my breath. Don’t - with Disney/Feige help - just made over a billion dollars on their last film. He’s not going anywhere any time soon.

Instead, I’m glad that FF and X-Men are back in the fold. Fox ran them into the ground.
The problem now is when do new movies come out, right now outside of the odd solo guest appearance it will be awhile.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

It should have happened after X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Just another stupid FOX decision. Have multiple characters but make only one movie for one of them. I could not care less if Hugh Jackman was seen as a cash cow. If the plan was one movie, the title should have left out the word 'Origins'.
Same here, I fully expected multiple "Origins" movies and really thought Storm should have been next. I get that Catwoman was bad, but Halle Berry was great as Storm.
On another note, can someone explain how there hasn't been a "Cable" movie yet? :mad:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem now is when do new movies come out, right now outside of the odd solo guest appearance it will be awhile.

I think that HAS to be the primary focus of Phase 5, introducing the FF and X-Men franchises into the MCU proper. It’s obvious that Phase Four was a mixed bad that failed to maintain past momentum and enthusiasm.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On another note, can someone explain how there hasn't been a "Cable" movie yet? :mad:
We must be content with a guest appearance in Deadpool 2. :laugh:

Too many variables must be established for a proper Cable movie. First, the X-Men must be integrated into the MCU.

Second, the team must have an order of villains to combat. I doubt Mister Sinister would be the prime antagonist in the team's first movie.

Let's say the story happens in Uncanny X-Men 2 (I REALLY want the new movies to be called Uncanny. Badly.). Sinister clones Jean. Clone has Scott to impregnate her. Nathan is either sent to the "safety" of the far future to grow up or they disregard the comic book version and artificially accelerate his growth to adulthood. Yada yada yada. Nathan is now really to battle bad guys in his own movie.

Just my take. :)

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I think that HAS to be the primary focus of Phase 5, introducing the FF and X-Men franchises into the MCU proper. It’s obvious that Phase Four was a mixed bad that failed to maintain past momentum and enthusiasm.
That's still a ways away, I see a lot of rumors, and hear about some actors that sign for some unannounced roles, but haven't heard anything definite. What, a new X-Men movie late 2024, or is that even too optimistic? So which happens first, a new X-Men movie or Cowboys play in a NFC Championship game?

quickccc

Reaction score

Wasn't there more talk of it being an Magneto solo movie before any other future Xmen: Origins films ?
Should it have happened ?

https://movieweb.com/canceled-x-men-movies/

https://www.quirkybyte.com/blog/2022/01/why-mcu-should-have-a-magneto-solo-movie-or-series/

quickccc

Reaction score

Which may leave the question as to should Xmen be totally re-booted into MCU ..?
Or picked up after Dark Phoenix, with there still being a Professor Xavier and a new Wolverine ?

And regardless, I imagine Xmen will be very likely be completely re-casted.

quickccc

Reaction score
Same here, I fully expected multiple "Origins" movies and really thought Storm should have been next. I get that Catwoman was bad, but Halle Berry was great as Storm.

Or Disney series ?

Could a Disney series featuring Cable, be able to stand him out ? and help lead other Xmen or related Xmen characters (X-Factor)
.. en route to future live action MCU films ?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which may leave the question as to should Xmen be totally re-booted into MCU ..?
Or picked up after Dark Phoenix, with there still being a Professor Xavier and a new Wolverine ?

And regardless, I imagine Xmen will be very likely be completely re-casted.

Based on how badly Fox messed things up, I anticipate a total reboot and recasting of the X-Men. Disney/Marvel will start over and pretend they never happened.

In many cases, they have to recast simply due to age.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's still a ways away, I see a lot of rumors, and hear about some actors that sign for some unannounced roles, but haven't heard anything definite. What, a new X-Men movie late 2024, or is that even too optimistic? So which happens first, a new X-Men movie or Cowboys play in a NFC Championship game?

I’d put it at 2025 more likely. I think they will introduce Fantastic Four in 23/24.