Comics and Movies

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Two things may factor in the opening box office
1) Canelo Alvrez fight night ( Cinco De Maya holdiay weekend)
2) Popularity of Spiderman vs Dr. Strange's popularity
3) most importantly .... (drum roll pleeaze) ... the Movie Critics review.

Ironic that it was Strange that had a huge part and role in that last Spidey film you're mentioning now ' No Way Home " ...

Let's face it , the general population falls into and for whatever the movie critics say .. if they (critics) love it... viewers will flock to the theaters to must-see it.
If the critics hiss and heckle at a film and give it a bad review ... then the film might as well be packed up and thrown into the basement, if critics hate it, audience
will believe it and brush the movie aside.
I think the audience based reviews, such as Rotten Tomatoes are more likely to sway potential movie goers.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It feels as if you and I saw different films. I’m willing to bet right now that this one will not be the box office success that Disney/Marvel are used to. It won’t come close to what Spider-Man: No Way Home did for sure.

They took characters and this film in wrong directions and made bad choices.
Was Wanda one of the characters taken in the wrong direction? I ask because the movie plot is somewhat based on events that happened to the character. And Wanda's motivations in the movie were a continuation of what was already established in WandaVision.

I am curious how well the movie will do this opening weekend and in the coming month. the-numbers.com has a couple of box office projections in the range of $115 to $233 million by Monday. I do agree that the movie will not have the staying power of Spider-Man: No Way Home. Then again, the majority of movies, even those in the MCU, do not near or even break the billion dollar worldwide box office threshold.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was Wanda one of the characters taken in the wrong direction? I ask because the movie plot is somewhat based on events that happened to the character. And Wanda's motivations in the movie were a continuation of what was already established in WandaVision.

The most obvious one, yes. Based on the events of WandaVision, there were two ways to take the character - redemption, or full-on villain. There’s no going back now.

I am curious how well the movie will do this opening weekend and in the coming month. the-numbers.com has a couple of box office projections in the range of $115 to $233 million by Monday. I do agree that the movie will not have the staying power of Spider-Man: No Way Home. Then again, the majority of movies, even those in the MCU, do not near or even break the billion dollar worldwide box office threshold.

The MCU was hitting the billion dollar mark quite regularly prior to Phase 4.

I’ll be surprised if this one even matches the quite average box office of the first Doctor Strange film.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The most obvious one, yes. Based on the events of WandaVision...

I’ll be surprised if this one even matches the quite average box office of the first Doctor Strange film.
Maybe you should make the first comment a spoiler?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the audience based reviews, such as Rotten Tomatoes are more likely to sway potential movie goers.
Here is what the three sites I check for general audience opinion (mainly) have graded so far:

vgQBse5.jpg

bGAXMKy.jpg

67TMEKP.jpg

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/doctor_strange_in_the_multiverse_of_madness
https://www.metacritic.com/movie/doctor-strange-in-the-multiverse-of-madness?ref=hp
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9419884/?ref_=hm_fanfav_tt_i_1_pd_fp1

At this stage, general opinion is hovering in the 62%-88% favorable range. It will likely tick down, I think, during the movie's run. Metacritic User Score does surprise me how much of it is in the red.

This will be one of those times when my grade rises above general opinion. My grades are usually lower on average. I gotta say it does tickle me on the rare occasions when my grades correlates with the greater audience lol.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here is what the three sites I check for general audience opinion (mainly) have graded so far:

vgQBse5.jpg

bGAXMKy.jpg

67TMEKP.jpg

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/doctor_strange_in_the_multiverse_of_madness
https://www.metacritic.com/movie/doctor-strange-in-the-multiverse-of-madness?ref=hp
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9419884/?ref_=hm_fanfav_tt_i_1_pd_fp1

At this stage, general opinion is hovering in the 62%-88% favorable range. It will likely tick down, I think, during the movie's run. Metacritic User Score does surprise me how much of it is in the red.

This will be one of those times when my grade rises above general opinion. My grades are usually lower on average. I gotta say it does tickle me on the rare occasions when my grades correlates with the greater audience lol.

I agree about them generally ticking down. Favorable fan reviews usually come first.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree about them generally ticking down. Favorable fan reviews usually come first.
The sequel will enjoy moderate success at minimum if Rotten Tomatoes grades are any reflection of potential box office according to audience opinion. The original (86%) (link) graded about the same over its entire run compared to the sequel's initial grade (88%). And the original pulled nearly $677 million worldwide.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The sequel will enjoy moderate success at minimum if Rotten Tomatoes grades are any reflection of potential box office according to audience opinion. The original (86%) (link) graded about the same over its entire run compared to the sequel's initial grade (88%). And the original pulled nearly $677 million worldwide.

“Moderate success” is far from a ringing endorsement. And that box office for the original is on the lower end in terms of Marvel rankings.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The most obvious one, yes. Based on the events of WandaVision, there were two ways to take the character - redemption, or full-on villain. There’s no going back now.
It is just a feeling on my part but I think the studio will follow the character's future along the same lines as seen in the comics. How she may be ultimately seen may not be as clear cut as it looks now. Just my opinion though.

gPUkxjG.png

I concede the MCU has pulled major box office throughout all its phases but there are a few considerations to take note.
  • The first being the past couple of years' affect on audience attendance (discussion should not get too detailed in this forum on this topic though).
  • Another is Phase Four being a transitional one with the introduction of new characters for moviegoer consumption. Word-of-mouth has been usually productive in building audience attendance over that of previous films.
  • One more that I can think of is the general trend of sequels to surpass their predecessors in box office--although sometimes the gains are modest for some of them.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“Moderate success” is far from a ringing endorsement. And that box office for the original is on the lower end in terms of Marvel rankings.
I would suggest the original fell slightly below in the median range when taking all of the MCU movies into account.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe you should make the first comment a spoiler?
I am hoping we all refrain from posting spoilers this early in the film's run. There are more eyes than mine looking out for them (wink wink ;) :D ).

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
gPUkxjG.png

I concede the MCU has pulled major box office throughout all its phases but there are a few considerations to take note.
  • The first being the past couple of years' affect on audience attendance (discussion should not get too detailed in this forum on this topic though). It’s a factor, but Spider-Man clearly showed that a good film can overcome that.
  • Another is Phase Four being a transitional one with the introduction of new characters for moviegoer consumption. Word-of-mouth has been usually productive in building audience attendance over that of previous films. New characters that I’ve long contended were poor choices. Box office supports that.
  • One more that I can think of is the general trend of sequels to surpass their predecessors in box office--although sometimes the gains are modest for some of them.I’m not sure you can form a consensus opinion on that.

Replies in bold above.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Replies in bold above.
"It’s a factor, but Spider-Man clearly showed that a good film can overcome that."

I would add that Spidey is Marvel's number one character that audiences have loved for decades. I agree that Spider-Man was a good film, pretty darn good in fact, but even the so-so original Spider-Man 3 drew almost $900 million in box office. I believe Old Webhead (three of them for that matter) factored into people flocking to theaters almost as much as the solid plot did.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
"It’s a factor, but Spider-Man clearly showed that a good film can overcome that."

I would add that Spidey is Marvel's number one character that audiences have loved for decades. I agree that Spider-Man was a good film, pretty darn good in fact, but even the so-so original Spider-Man 3 drew almost $900 million in box office. I believe Old Webhead (three of them for that matter) factored into people flocking to theaters almost as much as the solid plot did.
Spidey was always my favorite...His smartassery is awesome.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Undoubtedly so. And part of the reason why I questioned the character choices for Phase 4. Most are lesser-known, niche characters.

nobody

Reaction score
I was supposed to see Dr Strange last night but wasn't feeling well. My wife and kids went to see it. I insisted they still go without me. My wife, a huge Marvel movie nerd girl, didn't like it all that much. My daughter thought it was alright. My son enjoyed it the most but didn't say it was great.

I'll reserve judgement for when I see it, but I go in with zero expectations...the best way to do it.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I think if you paid for to see spiderman no way home, you should get a written apology, a free movie ticket pass to see a different movie, and Dr strange should wipe your memory of spiderman and himself

nobody

Reaction score
I think if you paid for to see spiderman no way home, you should get a written apology, a free movie ticket pass to see a different movie, and Dr strange should wipe your memory of spiderman and himself

I enjoyed it. It had it's problems but I found it really entertaining anyway. The audience score at Rotten tomatoes is 98% so most people liked it too. The critic score was even 93%. You're in the minority, but if you didn't like it, you didn't like it. It's all subjective.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I enjoyed it. It had it's problems but I found it really entertaining anyway. The audience score at Rotten tomatoes is 98% so most people liked it too. The critic score was even 93%. You're in the minority, but if you didn't like it, you didn't like it. It's all subjective.

I think the first gaurdians of the galaxy was when marvel peaked, and it has been spiraling downhill. Movies take too long to make, actors age when they shouldnt, and instead of going bigger they should have gone smaller with better writing and plots. Unless you do animated or cgi with a lot of movies, the universe is too big to connect everything.

I hope they wait until they can do cgi a little better and can go all out without using real actors before they ruin more book and comic series. I know Alita battle angel was not full cgi, but it is close. Whoever takes the next step from what Cameron has been doing should get the book and comic movie/show/anime series. The blending of anime and realistic cgi

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think that people sometimes say ridiculous things in an effort to elicit a reaction.