Comics and Movies

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I think that people sometimes say ridiculous things in an effort to elicit a reaction.

i was not saying ridiculous things, I actually held back. I thought the whole premise and acting of that movie was horrible. The scene between spiderman and dr strange when he goes and messes up the spell is one of the worst scenes i have seen in movies. The interaction between the 2 is horrible, and I don't think any part of what dr strange did fits his character or how he has been portrayed in other movies. I dont know if it was the plot or the acting but dr stranges whole role was bad. As I said in a different thread, I don't like what they did to the Ned character either. The only thing missing from that movie is spiderman taking everyone to a safe space and them coloring to feel better

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
i was not saying ridiculous things, I actually held back. I thought the whole premise and acting of that movie was horrible. The scene between spiderman and dr strange when he goes and messes up the spell is one of the worst scenes i have seen in movies. The interaction between the 2 is horrible, and I don't think any part of what dr strange did fits his character or how he has been portrayed in other movies. I dont know if it was the plot or the acting but dr stranges whole role was bad. As I said in a different thread, I don't like what they did to the Ned character either. The only thing missing from that movie is spiderman taking everyone to a safe space and them coloring to feel better
I will agree with a part of this. Strange knew how risky the spell was going to be. Considering who he is and how he thinks, he would have (should have) explained to Peter before he started, that everyone would forget him. Then he could have had Peter tell him who would be the exceptions before he started. Yet he kept blaming Peter for the situation, which was mostly his own fault.

They could have come up with a better way to screw up the spell, and the story could have still been told.

That said, it was a very good movie. 8.5/10

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I will agree with a part of this. Strange knew how risky the spell was going to be. Considering who he is and how he thinks, he would have (should have) explained to Peter before he started, that everyone would forget him. Then he could have had Peter tell him who would be the exceptions before he started. Yet he kept blaming Peter for the situation, which was mostly his own fault.

They could have come up with a better way to screw up the spell, and the story could have still been told.

That said, it was a very good movie. 8.5/10

I don't think it was because she was a few years older, but it was the first time I didn't like marisa tomeis face as much. I think she had work done

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't think it was because she was a few years older, but it was the first time I didn't like marisa tomeis face as much. I think she had work done
Well, she didn't look her best, but that doesn't affect my opinion of the movie.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Well, she didn't look her best, but that doesn't affect my opinion of the movie.

I am throwing out random things I don't like now.

I will stop with, Peter does not act like an 18 year old warrior who has fought in space and earth with the avengers, and done the things he has done. He should be battle hardened. It seemed like they are trying to prolong the 15 year old newly discovered power spiderman and recreate the tony/15 year old spiderman interaction with dr strange.

2.5 for me

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2007's four-part Spider-Man: One More Day storyline:

Ucdljt0.png

This is the story that the movie Spider-Man: No Way Home is loosely based upon. Here is a really REALLY good article discussing the similarities between page and screen:

https://screenrant.com/spider-man-no-way-home-one-more-day-comic-differences-similarities/

I don't know. In my opinion, the best comic book movie adaptations to date--Marvel, DC, whatever--do not depart too far from what has already been written. Results vary. For me, the real idiots are those who venture FAR away from what was already successfully told on the written page (Idiot Exhibit A: Simon Kinberg).

Sure. S:NWH is not an exact copy of comic book narrative. Yet, Marvel and Disney wanted a plot device that could introduce moviegoers to the multiverse concept. S: OMD was a very good choice as a framework to make it happen.

Yeah. Dr. Strange would not have been the first magical/sorcerous choice as the multiverse catalyst. That plot driver was actually Mephisto in the comics. However, there was an on-screen connection established between the Dr. Strange and Spider-Man characters before this movie was thought of. The Sorcerer Supreme (apologies Wong) was capable of Peter's big ask.

Peter's character, during his teenaged years, was a hormonal, second guessing, impulsive one. Tom Holland performs this personal aspect extremely well on camera. I would be very interested in HOW different and in WHAT ways Benedict Cumberbatch's performances in Doctor Strange, Thor: Ragnarok, Avengers: Infinity War, and Avengers: Endgame before S:NWH has been atypical of the reserved yet often satirical Master of the Mystic Arts. So...

Scene (video mark 1:34 - 2:03/please note this is embedded within the official Sony teaser trailer and is NOT a spoiler)

This is what makes discussing movies so interesting for me. I look at that scene, consider its plot significance, how well the actors interact in both the movies and imagine how the interchange would have transpired in the books and think...

That is a pretty good scene. And one that could have been easily snatched from the comic book page.

Request.
Kid.
Sorcerer.
Spell.
Snafu.

What the heck am I missing? :huh:

Last edited:

dsturgeon

Reaction score
2007's four-part Spider-Man: One More Day storyline:

Ucdljt0.png

This is the story that the movie Spider-Man: No Way Home is loosely based upon. Here is a really REALLY good article discussing the similarities between page and screen:

https://screenrant.com/spider-man-no-way-home-one-more-day-comic-differences-similarities/

I don't know. In my opinion, the best comic book movie adaptations to date--Marvel, DC, whatever--do not depart too far from what has already been written. Results vary. For me, the real idiots are those who venture FAR away from what was already successfully told on the written page (Idiot Exhibit A: Simon Kinberg).

Sure. S:NWH is not an exact copy of comic book narrative. Yet, Marvel and Disney wanted a plot device that could introduce moviegoers to the multiverse concept. S: OMD was a very good choice as a framework to make it happen.

Yeah. Dr. Strange would not have been the first magical/sorcerous choice as the multiverse catalyst. That plot driver was actually Mephisto in the comics. However, there was an on-screen connection established between the Dr. Strange and Spider-Man characters before this movie was thought of. The Sorcerer Supreme (apologies Wong) was capable of Peter's big ask.

Peter's character, during his teenaged years, was a hormonal, second guessing, impulsive one. Tom Holland performs this personal aspect extremely well on camera. I would be very interested in HOW different and in WHAT ways Benedict Cumberbatch's performances in Doctor Strange, Thor: Ragnarok, Avengers: Infinity War, and Avengers: Endgame before S:NWH has been atypical of the reserved yet often satirical Master of the Mystic Arts. So...

Scene (video mark 1:34 - 2:03/please note this is embedded within the official Sony teaser trailer and is NOT a spoiler)

This is what makes discussing movies so interesting for me. I look at that scene, consider its plot significance, how well the actors interact in both the movies and imagine how the interchange would have transpired in the books and think...

That is a pretty good scene. And one that could have been easily snatched from the comic book page.

Request.
Kid.
Sorcerer.
Spell.
Snafu.

What the heck am I missing? :huh:

You are missing that it sucked and Marisa Tomei's face looked weird, haha

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I get what you are saying. Even though I have some complaints with it, I am one of the few who liked the bepop live action show. I thought it was done well, in the regard you mentioned

The script, acting, fight scenes, and premise can still suck even if they follow aspects of the comics. They rushed the scenes they shouldn't have rushed, and put emphasis on things I think they should not have. Even then spiderman and dr strange mirror world fight ending was weak

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
...Marisa Tomei's face looked weird, haha
Confess. You thought the glasses threw off her grandma sexy look.

aT5oWnc.png

:rolleyes:

What else was wrong with the movie? This is the perfect thread to post all your misgivings about it in, moreso than Cowboy Bebop, which is based on manga and is an ITV Studios sorta thing.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Confess. You thought the glasses threw off her grandma sexy look.

aT5oWnc.png

:rolleyes:

What else was wrong with the movie? This is the perfect thread to post all your misgivings about it in, moreso than Cowboy Bebop, which is based on manga and is an ITV Studios sorta thing.

No it is something with her cheeks. It could be how she aged, but I think it is an injection or lift type of thing.

--Things I thought was wrong with the movie

The interaction with parker and strange

Strange not being meticulous and rushing and screwing up the spell, the premise

ending of the mirror world fight between spiderman and strange, and the tie in from it where ned accidentally brings strange back with his portal to finish the plot at the end

The emphasis on therapy sessions between the bad guys former roles/flaws, former spider man mistakes/flaws, spiderman girlfriend interaction issues, spiderman fame/rejection from school saga, ned being insecure about his role and his whole story line, aunt may dieing saga, ending with his friends being better not knowing him

It was not a good superhero action movie. I think it was badly done on many levels

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
I’m not seeing critics “hiss and heckle” and “giving it bad reviews”.

I just think that they’re going in directions that simply won’t be as popular with their fan base. Marvel has been at this for a long while now, and fans have grown to know what to expect. And when they don’t get that, the box office shows that accordingly. I expect that it will here as well.

I meant the hissing towards general movies the movie critics do not like.
Not this Dr. Strange film.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No it is something with her cheeks. It could be how she aged, but I think it is an injection or lift type of thing.
KmTxbPh.gif

Covered. Next.
(A)Strange not being meticulous and rushing and screwing up the spell, (B)the premise

ending of the mirror world fight between spiderman and strange, and (C)the tie in from it where ned accidentally brings strange back with his portal to finish the plot at the end.
A: No reason to make the movie in the first place. Next.
B: No reason to include a scene depicting the unlimited variations of the infinite multiverse--in a movie whose main narrative is the introduction of the infinite multiverse. Next.
C: The character of Ned is useless, thus Ned cannot do simple portals on the fly after trial-and-error unlike what was somewhat seen already in the original Dr. Strange movie when he became a student initially, the writers should have forseen this plot hole and substituted another mystical user in Ned's place, like The Ancient One. Yeah. Next.
The emphasis on therapy sessions between the bad guys former roles/flaws, former spider man mistakes/flaws, spiderman girlfriend interaction issues, spiderman fame/rejection from school saga, ned being insecure about his role and his whole story line, aunt may dieing saga, ending with his friends being better not knowing him
oh dear lord. Everything but then even including Aunt May's dying in an MCU that did not HAVE Peter's Uncle Ben. which has always been CANON within the "I am Peter Parker "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility" a.k.a. Spider-Man like... since 1962. It's 2022. Again. wow. Next.
It was not a good superhero action movie. I think it was badly done on many levels
And yet it is basically beloved by millions of moviegoers in countries around the world and nearly took in $2 billion.

And some people said my giving 2015's Fantastic Four only a 4 out of 10 grade was me being outrageous. :rolleyes:

dsturgeon

Reaction score
KmTxbPh.gif

Covered. Next.

A: No reason to make the movie in the first place. Next.
B: No reason to include a scene depicting the unlimited variations of the infinite multiverse--in a movie whose main narrative is the introduction the infinite multiverse. Next.
C: The character of Ned is useless, thus Ned cannot do simple portals on the fly after trial-and-error unlike what was somewhat seen already in the original Dr. Strange movie when he became a student initially, the writers should have forseen this plot hole and substituted another mystical user in Ned's place, like The Ancient One. Yeah. Next.
oh dear lord. Everything but then even including Aunt May's dying in an MCU that did not HAVE Peter's Uncle Ben. which has always been CANON within the "I am Peter Parker "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility" a.k.a. Spider-Man like... since 1962. It's 2022. Again. wow. Next.
And yet it is basically beloved by millions of moviegoers in countries around the world and nearly took in $2 billion.

And some people said my giving 2015's Fantastic Four only a 4 out of 10 grade was me being outrageous. :rolleyes:

I don't think most peoples 1-10 vote should be recorded. Most people grade everything in top half, and rarely have ratings in the lower. I think most movies suck, so there are very few that get near the top. I don't care what millions of people thought. I was not entertained, and I think the marvel universe peaked at the first guardians of the galaxy and that the 2nd one sucked.

They should end it all of the marvel universe right now with current actors, rethink how it is done, better map the connection of everything, and make use of newer technology (like cameron did with battle angel) to increase movie production and story lines while not having lame aging actors continuing to do over blown redundant scripts. They went too big when movie production is too slow, and plan better. They are just throwing stuff out now to capitalize on squeezing every last penny out of this round

Last edited:

dsturgeon

Reaction score
One idea off the top of my head, would be to do high quality, well written, slower paced tv streaming shows with the different marvel characters. Then cover full story lines and plot development in multiple seasons. Have characters make appearances in others shows (like boba fett and mandalorian) to develop "time period" connection plots, and have blockbuster movies that coincide with the different shows and plots and take place during the season or the end of the season. Use CGI actor technology like they did in anita battle angel to make long series and timelines realalistic

I don't like the movie/show timeline/plot they came up with, they should have kept it small instead of going gigantic and not try to cram everything into a few hours in movies

Last edited:

visionary

Reaction score

Strange not being meticulous and rushing and screwing up the spell, the premise

ending of the mirror world fight between spiderman and strange, and the tie in from it where ned accidentally brings strange back with his portal to finish the plot at the end

my biggest problem with ALL Spidey movies is

Why the heck can’t Peter find one single girlfriend who is actually hot?

Why?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think most peoples 1-10 vote should be recorded. Most people grade everything in top half, and rarely have ratings in the lower. I think most movies suck, so there are very few that get near the top. I don't care what millions of people thought. I was not entertained, and I think the marvel universe peaked at the first guardians of the galaxy and that the 2nd one sucked.
Moviegoers judge and grade according to how well or poorly they are entertained. Their preferences or disdain hinges upon what they perceive as quality.

You opinion is valid. So is everyone else's. You think most movies suck. Most people think differently. If everyone else's valid opinion was the same as your valid opinion, the film industry would be a bare shell of itself. Billions would not be shelled out annually for suckage. This is the singular point that I do not believe you want to consider or admit you have considered.

And I love these comments (not just your own) that the MCU has peaked years ago. Not sure why you consider sliding down the slope from the Guardian's peak. The bottom only awaits you. Marvel and Disney have planned phases yet to come. They, and the overwhelming majority of their audience, believe there are still peaks to appear. That is the big picture. Why are you still staring at a picture that faded away eight years ago?
They should end it all of the marvel universe right now with current actors, rethink how it is done, better map the connection of everything, and make use of newer technology (like cameron did with battle angel) to increase movie production and story lines while not having lame aging actors continuing to do over blown redundant scripts. They went too big when movie production is too slow, and plan better. They are just throwing stuff out now to capitalize on squeezing every last penny out of this round
They have already started replacing actors who were seen in previous phases, although it has not been a 100% change at this point (which would be illogical based on the currently ongoing transitional storylines also). Noted about Alita: Battle Angel but that film technology (special effects in particular) does not currently mess well with both current and upcoming planned character releases.

Take the upcoming She-Hulk series as an example. In my opinion, the superhero character will look more visually plausible with the continuing evolution of The Hulk's CGI, as opposed to "cyborg" CGI tech seen in A: BA (minus imagining the mechanical hardware of course). It is perfect for Cameron's Avatar projects but would not blend in as well the MCU visuals.

Movie production does not "seem" too slow to me. There has been a healthy number of films that the MCU pumped out since 2008, with an entire slate of movies announced within the next two years. Just how fast must movies come out? In fact, "too fast" would make them seem entirely serial in nature without individuality. Just my opinion.

And since when has any studio not squeezed every penny they can out of their content, lol?