Comics and Movies

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Halle Berry is too old for an MCU reboot. Shipp would be alright, but would be fine with a re-cast. I think Shadow King should be a part, but not too much focus as their are many other interesting parts as well. Any ideas who could be the new Storm? Or stay with Shipp?

They shouldn't recast anyone. That is why they need to drop human actors. It is too cool of a universe to limit it. I find it hard to believe comic book fans require human actors.

They should invest and build the greatest animated/cgi world ever, rethink the whole presentation, character introduction, and scripts, and make an ongoing universe where the only difference in the characters over the years is upgrades to graphic technology.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Fans argue if ‘The Batman’ is still the year’s best comic book movie
By Scott Campbell | We Got this Covered
July 14, 2022

morbius-thor-love-and-thunder-the-batman.jpg

Even through the worst of the [censored], the superhero genre continued to prove itself as the most bankable genre in the industry, and 2022 has simply carried on from where almost every other year dating back to the turn of the millennium has left off. We might have only just crossed the halfway mark on the calendar, but is The Batman still the comic book blockbuster to beat?

That’s the argument fans are having on social media as we speak, and as you’d expect, virtual hands are preparing to be thrown. Based entirely from the perspective of Rotten Tomatoes critical and audience scores, Matt Reeves’ dark and atmospheric reboot is at the head of the pack, but it’s never quite as cut-and-dried as that.

Read more

Probably right. Marvel has been surprisingly disappointing this year starting with Eternals. Have a feeling I’m not going to like Black Panther 2 either because I don’t see how you can do it without THE Black Panther LOL. Chadwick Boseman was awesome in anything he did. Would like to see something like the original Black Panther, or the first Guardians of the Galaxy. Something fresh, not a sequel or reboot, that really takes you by surprise and becomes a great original introduction. Shang-chi and Moon Knight (show) were sort of close to that IMO, but yeah, lot of average stuff lately.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Should studio keep going with the same Fox's Storm actress Alexandria Stripp ?
Or re-cast a new one ?
Halle Berry is too old for an MCU reboot. Shipp would be alright, but would be fine with a re-cast. I think Shadow King should be a part, but not too much focus as their are many other interesting parts as well. Any ideas who could be the new Storm? Or stay with Shipp?
No offense to Meagan Tandy but I would bring back Alexandra Shipp in a heartbeat. Both X-Men: Apocalypse and X-Men: Dark Phoenix disappointed me but not Shipp. She is Ororo Munroe to me.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No offense to Meagan Tandy but I would bring back Alexandra Shipp in a heartbeat. Both X-Men: Apocalypse and X-Men: Dark Phoenix disappointed me but not Shipp. She is Ororo Munroe to me.

I’m curious as to why you feel that way about Shipp?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m curious as to why you feel that way about Shipp?
That is a fair question. I would say it is for three main reasons: temperament, look and powers presentation.

Storm's powers are tied to her personality. She is well-centered, often serene. Halle Berry was actually seen better than Alexandra Shipp in that aspect.

However. she has a dual emotional side where her anger resides. She can be quite fierce. In my opinion, that side of her originated in the books when she met the Morlocks. Shipp beat Berry on this reverse side.

I have always been a fan of character's evolution in the books, from her origin forward, and the transitions she has been allowed to experience. In the original X-Men movie, audiences got to see the "traditional" Ororo as she is often presented on television (i.e. the original animated series, etc.) and in the comics. For the most part, Berry pulls off the look extremely well although I was not a big fan of the short hair look in later on.

Conversely, artists expanded on her look over the years, which I have really enjoyed. Additionally, X-Men: Apocalypse comprised on the character's introduction by showing her beginnings as the orphaned street urchin but as a young adult instead of a child. I am admittedly bias liking Shipp's look more in it and X-Men: Dark Phoenix:

kejyrnU.png

Finally, I have mentioned many times on the site while talking about mutants is that I thought Berry was shortchanged by directors in her powers presentation in the way I would expect Storm to use them. X2 has the best scene of Berry as the weather goddess in my opinion:

Powerful but even that scene had Berry look somewhat passive. I think Shipp has benefitted much better in how her powers were presented on-screen:

Right now, Shipp is 31. It gives her flexibility in playing a twenty-something or thirty-something Ororo. Of course, my opinion would change if an MCU introduction of the mutants would be as teenagers. That angle would coincide with the first class of gifted students Professor Xavier assembled back in the 1960's comic. A younger actress would be needed in that case.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is a fair question. I would say it is for three main reasons: temperament, look and powers presentation.

Storm's powers are tied to her personality. She is well-centered, often serene. Halle Berry was actually seen better than Alexandra Shipp in that aspect.

However. she has a dual emotional side where her anger resides. She can be quite fierce. In my opinion, that side of her originated in the books when she met the Morlocks. Shipp beat Berry on this reverse side.

I have always been a fan of character's evolution in the books, from her origin forward, and the transitions she has been allowed to experience. In the original X-Men movie, audiences got to see the "traditional" Ororo as she is often presented on television (i.e. the original animated series, etc.) and in the comics. For the most part, Berry pulls off the look extremely well although I was not a big fan of the short hair look in later on.

Conversely, artists expanded on her look over the years, which I have really enjoyed. Additionally, X-Men: Apocalypse comprised on the character's introduction by showing her beginnings as the orphaned street urchin but as a young adult instead of a child. I am admittedly bias liking Shipp's look more in it and X-Men: Dark Phoenix:

kejyrnU.png

Finally, I have mentioned many times on the site while talking about mutants is that I thought Berry was shortchanged by directors in her powers presentation in the way I would expect Storm to use them. X2 has the best scene of Berry as the weather goddess in my opinion:

Powerful but even that scene had Berry look somewhat passive. I think Shipp has benefitted much better in how her powers were presented on-screen:

Right now, Shipp is 31. It gives her flexibility in playing a twenty-something or thirty-something Ororo. Of course, my opinion would change if an MCU introduction of the mutants would be as teenagers. That angle would coincide with the first class of gifted students Professor Xavier assembled back in the 1960's comic. A younger actress would be needed in that case.

Thanks for a thorough reply. But I still don’t see where you mention what Shipp specifically brought to the role. And that’s really my position. She didn’t bring anything to really leave any impression for me or to have Marvel cast her in the time again.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for a thorough reply. But I still don’t see where you mention what Shipp specifically brought to the role. And that’s really my position. She didn’t bring anything to really leave any impression for me or to have Marvel cast her in the time again.
I understand but disagree. In my opinion, cast members, in both movies she appeared in, had varying degrees of subpar performances. Some of that can be applied to the individual actor or actress but some I think can rightfully be laid at the feet of their director.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand but disagree. In my opinion, cast members, in both movies she appeared in, had varying degrees of subpar performances. Some of that can be applied to the individual actor or actress but some I think can rightfully be laid at the feet of their director.

I don’t dispute the director’s bearing some measure of blame. But that confirms, rather than refutes, Shipp’s own unremarkable performance.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

kejyrnU.png

Yeah, they made Shipp's Storm much faster and her powers more multifunctional, but that's not on the actors, IMO.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I think it just points out just how criminally underused Storm's been throughout the movies. I think both did a good job and Shipp probably did benefit from a better portrayal of her powers. I would be fine with Shipp but would be open to a recast, depending on who it would be, but it really comes down to will she actually be featured more or just background. With Marvel's empowerment trend, that's why I think a Storm teaser then solo series would be the perfect lead in for the Uncanny X-Men movie....... and it's a character people actually want to see. :D

I think my favorite Storm scene is the "Do you know what happens to Toad when it's struck by Lightning?" scene. :p

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
10 Best Avengers Artists Of All Time
By David Harth | CBR
July 16, 2022

Collage-Maker-15-Jul-2022-0135-PM.jpg

The Avengers are Earth's Mightiest Heroes, combining Marvel's greatest characters the kind of action and drama that's kept readers coming back for decades. Their book has gone through a lot over the years, sometimes sitting at the top of the sales charts and other times at the very bottom.

A succession of creators have worked on the Avengers, including the greatest artists in Marvel history. The Avengers are the best of the best and their adventures need to look that way. Over the years, brilliant artists have graced the pages of the various Avengers books, bringing the team's battles to life with top-notch visuals.

10. Adam Kubert Lent His Skills To The Team

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Best Superhero Suit Reveals in Movies and Television
By Trey Pasch | MovieWeb
July 16, 2022

suitfeatureresize.jpg

Ever since the smash hit debut of 2008's Iron Man from Marvel Studios, the superhero genre has absolutely overtaken cinemas worldwide. Marvel Studios is currently the head of the pack, with DC and Warner Bros in a close second, along with a variety of other comic book companies creating films based on some of their most popular characters (i.e, Valiant and the Bloodshot movie). The television arena has now been hit with an influx of superhero shows as well, with franchises such as Invincible and The Boys getting some of the best ratings and reviews for superhero shows.

With the ever-saturated amount of superhero media audiences are getting, Studios have been coming up with tricks and spectacles to keep audiences interested and entertained in their movies and shows. From exciting team-ups like The Avengers (2012), to CGI visual feasts in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, companies have done their best to get adrenaline rushing. One of the latest trends to keep audiences involved is the reveal of new superhero suits. From ragged, inaccurate creations, to clean and slick comic adaptations, here are the best superhero suit reveals in movies and television.

5. Sam Wilson's Captain America Suit

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Box Office: ‘Thor: Love And Thunder’ Plunges 80% But Tops $200 Million
By Scott Mendelson | Forbes
July 16, 2022

0x0.jpg

Walt Disney’s Thor: Love and Thunder is the top movie at the domestic box office yet again, earning $13.8 million on Friday. However, that’s a brutal 80% drop for the Chris Hemsworth/Natalie Portman sequel from its $69.5 million. In terms of MCU movies, that’s behind only the 82% drop for Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness after a $91 million Friday. It’s on par with Black Widow (-79%) last July and Eternals (-75%) this past November. Alas, we’re likely looking at a $45 million weekend and a $233 million ten-day total, still solid by most rational standards but a record (for Marvel) 68% second-weekend plunge. With any luck, it’ll barely avoid the $100 million losers club (after a $144 million opening weekend). It should be over/under $500 million worldwide by tomorrow.

How bad is this? Well, Marvel mid-July openers tend to crash in their second weekends. Ant-Man and the Wasp, Spider-Man: Homecoming and Black Widow all took drops between 61% and 67% in their second Fri-Sun frames, but the first two recovered and earned around 1.6x their respective ten-day totals. Black Widow did not recover and only made 1.4x its ten-day total, as did the much disliked Eternals last November. However, and this is a big “however,” even 1.35 x $233 million gets Thor: Love and Thunder to $315 million, essentially tying with Thor: Ragnarok in 2017. Almost nothing beyond Warner Bros.’ animated DC League of Super-Pets on July 29 qualifies as multi-quadrant family fun between now and WB’s Black Adam on October 21. 1.55 x $233 million still equals $360 million.

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
10 Non-British Actors Who Would Be Great As James Bond
By Stephen Barker | Screen Rant
July 16, 2022

Split-image-of-Tony-Dalton-in-Better-Call-Saul-John-David-Washington-in-Tenet-and-Yahya-Abdul-Mateen-III-in-The-Matrix-Resurrections.jpg

It's now closing in on a year since the release of No Time to Die, and the search for the next Bond has seemingly made little progress, as EON producer Barbara Broccoli has given a very blunt Bond casting update. The producer has stated that "nobody is in the running," so who could be the next 007 is anyone's guess.

While the next James Bond will undoubtedly be British, just as every other Bond actor has been, that's massively limiting the talent pool. Tons of non-British actors would make a great James Bond, whether it's a Pakistani comedy actor, a criminally underlooked charismatic Canadian, or a dashing Mexican TV star.

Miles Teller

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:lmao2:Not my work! Just saw this on IMGUR ( link ). This is 100% on the nose AND is true for Odinson in BOTH of his films!

vflxx2c.jpeg

I almost laughed out a kidney! That is hilarious! Waititi's on my you-know-what list but I see we were both Dexter's Laboratory fans. omg. I dislike that guy.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
:lmao2:Not my work! Just saw this on IMGUR ( link ). This is 100% on the nose AND is true for Odinson in BOTH of his films!

vflxx2c.jpeg

I almost laughed out a kidney! That is hilarious! Waititi's on my you-know-what list but I see we were both Dexter's Laboratory fans. omg. I dislike that guy.

I haven't seen the new Thor movie, not in any rush either considering the lukewarm reviews, so don't know if that's a still from the movie or pic from the set. I gotta say that armor looks kinda cheap and cheesy. o_O

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I haven't seen the new Thor movie, not in any rush either considering the lukewarm reviews, so don't know if that's a still from the movie or pic from the set. I gotta say that armor looks kinda cheap and cheesy. o_O
Could be wrong after seeing the movie but that's maybe a promotion photo. HIs armor looks more "authentic' in the movie. I think it is the pic's lighting that gives it a cheap cheezy look.