Comics and Movies

quickccc

Reaction score
How Doom Patrol Makes Faceless Characters Feel Alive
By Ernesto Valenzuela | Slash Film
July 17, 2022

intro-1657905496.webp

"Doom Patrol" is an unconventional superhero show (if you can call it that) on so many levels. With a lot less punching than what's expected from a typical DC or Marvel comics adaptation, "Doom Patrol" is more about introspection than it is about defeating the next bad guy or saving the world. Sure, that introspection is done via werewolf butts and living streets, but that only helps to move the characters forward and bring incredibly emotional moments to the show.

The most surprising aspect of "Doom Patrol" is its ability to convey such powerful character moments and emotions with characters who don't have the most expressive faces, which is putting it lightly.

Robotman and Negative Man, two of the main characters of "Doom Patrol," are both characters that have their faces covered. Robotman is a robot suit, and Negative Man is a character covered in bandages. Moreover, both characters are voiced by different actors than the ones that portray them physically on set. Brendan Fraser voices Robotman while the character is brought to life on set by Riley Shanahan. Negative Man is voiced by Matt Bomer and portrayed on set by Matthew Zuk. The faces of these two characters are never expressive but somehow are still at the center of some of the most emotional moments of the series.

Read more

i've totally forgot about Doom Patrol series... just as i did DC Teen Titans ... i dunno how either series has been accepted and perceived in terms of popularity and ratings
i don't hear much about them anymore ..

DandyDon52

Reaction score
For fans of the Netflix Daredevil series:

what about the others that played matt and karen ?? is this a 6 ep show ? will they do the bullseye show that they were going to do on netflix?
my fear is they will disney it, and it wont be anything like it was on netflix.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i've totally forgot about Doom Patrol series... just as i did DC Teen Titans ... i dunno how either series has been accepted and perceived in terms of popularity and ratings
Not sure how well either series would fare on Netflix, Hulu, etc. They exist within the fairly arguable obscurity of HBO Max' a clumsy navigational hub for DC Universe, which was added after the DCU streaming service had ben operating for awhile within even more obscurity.

Heck. I did not even know Titans was playing until my wife and I took a trip to Tijuana. A stranger told me about the show in passing. I thought he was talking about the original cartoon series. He corrected me by showing the series on my own iPad appearing on Netflix International. Blew my mind.

Titans started out really well but has cooled somewhat in the seasons that followed. Doom Patrol is actually well-written and is the better of the two shows in my opinion but depends too heavily on Brendan Frazier's foul dialogue.

I doubt anyone other than hardcore DC fans make up the bulk of both series' audiences. Titans needs some infusion of fresh writing and vfx resources and technical talent. Big time.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
LOL! I do not remember this story from last month. My apologies if anyone had already posted it before.

George, George, George Spidey Spidey Spidey of the jungle neighborhood!
Strong as he can be!
AHHH! Watch out for that tree beam!

They should have a guy in costume ready to jump out yelling, "I'M OKAY!!"

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I like them both, but I agree with @DallasEast said I think Titans has cooled a little bit. My favorite of the DC shows is Pennyworth. It's about Batman's butler Alfred as a young man, when he first meets Thomas Wayne, Thomas first meets Martha as well. We also see Lucius Fox as a young man and Council of Owls. I like that they portray Alfred like the Michael Caine version of a young Alfred, he really does remind me of a young Michael Caine. It's gritty and dark, but has some humor mixed in. I like the sets and world they created, it's an alternate world 1960's London. Paloma Faith that plays Better Sykes plays a great sociopath and she's a scene stealer. It may not be to everyone's liking and they take some liberties, but it's entertaining.

quickccc

Reaction score
I like them both, but I agree with @DallasEast said I think Titans has cooled a little bit. My favorite of the DC shows is Pennyworth. It's about Batman's butler Alfred as a young man, when he first meets Thomas Wayne, Thomas first meets Martha as well. We also see Lucius Fox as a young man and Council of Owls. I like that they portray Alfred like the Michael Caine version of a young Alfred, he really does remind me of a young Michael Caine. It's gritty and dark, but has some humor mixed in. I like the sets and world they created, it's an alternate world 1960's London. Paloma Faith that plays Better Sykes plays a great sociopath and she's a scene stealer. It may not be to everyone's liking and they take some liberties, but it's entertaining.

My favorite DC show ended up being " Swamp Thing " ...it reminded of a Netflix version type show because it was dark, violent and it pulled no punches
when it came to jump scenes, graphic gore and on the edges cliffhangers to the next episodes. Even had familiar Hollywood faces.

It was directed by the infamous James Han, and you know he likes it dark and jumpy -scene-ish ..
Only rumors persist in why it was cancelled after one season, could've been an unforeseen budget shortage

Oh well, maybe Shudder streaming or some other DC related studio will eventually consider a Etrigan the Demon series and it will be
very similar to DC Universe's Swamp Thing ..?

80f2c7edbc9ba16d6424230b7ce62fbd.jpg

market.jpg

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
My favorite DC show ended up being " Swamp Thing " ...it reminded of a Netflix version type show because it was dark, violent and it pulled no punches
when it came to jump scenes, graphic gore and on the edges cliffhangers to the next episodes. Even had familiar Hollywood faces.

It was directed by the infamous James Han, and you know he likes it dark and jumpy -scene-ish ..
Only rumors persist in why it was cancelled after one season, could've been an unforeseen budget shortage

Oh well, maybe Shudder streaming or some other DC related studio will eventually consider a Etrigan the Demon series and it will be
very similar to DC Universe's Swamp Thing ..?

80f2c7edbc9ba16d6424230b7ce62fbd.jpg

market.jpg

I did like Swamp Thing also, really wanted to see it evolve, had a lot of promise. I've been hoping that HBOMax would bring it back.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
10 Batman Comics Everyone Should Read
By David Harth | CBR
July 19, 2022

Collage-Maker-18-Jul-2022-0811-PM.jpg

Proving his longevity, Batman remained one of DC's most popular characters for over eighty years stayed on top for over eighty years, starring in nearly every form of media imaginable. Batman amassed a legion of fans, his comics a staple of DC's publishing schedule. Many of the comic industry's best creators worked on Batman over the years, creating timeless and brilliant tales.

When diving into the Dark Knight's greatest stories, it can be hard to figure out where to start. There's an abundance of thrilling stories to choose from, each offering a different glimpse into Batman's life. Standing above the rest, there are certain comics every Batfan needs to check out.

10. Batman: Strange Apparitions Collects Steve Englehart and Marshal Rogers' Run

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
‘Ms. Marvel’s Directors Didn’t Know About Their Own Show’s Post-Credits Scene
By Matt Singer | Screen Crush
July 19, 2022

attachment-FHP1540_106_comp_v007.1082_R.jpg

Marvel’s commitment to secrecy is wild. I’ve heard of supporting actors not getting entire scripts, or being kept in the dark about twists they didn’t need to know about. But the directors of a TV show not knowing about their own series’ final scene until they saw it during post-production? That’s pretty extreme.

But according to Ms. Marvel directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah, that’s exactly what happened on their show.

In an interview with Collider they revealed that they were not involved with their show’s post-credits scene, which saw the series’ first and only appearance by Brie Larson’s Captain Marvel, leading into the character’s return (and team-up with Ms. Marvel) in the upcoming film The Marvels.

In fact, The Marvels director Nia DaCosta was the one who directed that scene. But Adil & Bilall says they were absolutely clueless about the sequence, or whether Captain Marvel would show up at all, until the episode was almost entirely complete.

Here’s El Arbi’s quote about that scene:

Nia DaCosta shot that while she was shooting The Marvels. She was on set with Brie Larson and Iman, and she didn't know that scene was going to be used for the post-credit scene. Marvel is very good in separating all the things. So, we would always ask Kevin, ‘Yo, when's Captain Marvel going to show up?’ And he would always tell us, ‘Don't worry about it. You'll see.’ Meanwhile, he has said to Nia DaCcosta, ‘Just shoot that scene. We need that. And you'll see.’ All of a sudden, when we were calibrating the final episodes after the credits, we said, ‘Oh. There's Captain Marvel." So that was a big surprise for us, as well.

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sony Delays the Release of Another Marvel Movie
By Timothy Adams | comicbook.com
July 19, 2022

One of Sony Pictures' upcoming Marvel movies was just hit with a sizeable delay. Sony's Spider-Man Universe has slowly been growing in size, thanks to tentpoles like Venom and Morbius to go along with its Tom Holland-led Spider-Man trilogy. This is why the movie studio has planted its flag on a number of future release dates, possibly for a third movie in the Venom franchise and the additions of Madame Web and Kraven the Hunter. One of Sony's Marvel movies originally slated for a fall 2023 release is now set to be released in the summer of 2024.

An untitled Sony/Marvel Universe picture that was scheduled for October 6, 2023, is being moved to June 7, 2024. That's a difference of eight months, which may not matter in the grand scheme of things, especially since the project hasn't officially been announced. The Spider-Man spinoff Madame Web starring Dakota Johnson also had its release date changed, moving from April 7, 2023 to the now-open October 6, 2023. The film will follow the origin story of its titular character (played by Dakota Johnson), a clairvoyant whose psychic abilities allow her to see within the spider world itself. Production on the film recently began, with set photos seemingly hinting at sequences set in the early-2000s.

The Madame Web film will be directed by Jessica Jones alum S.J. Clarkson, and will also star Sydney Sweeney, Emma Roberts, Celeste O'Connor, Isabela Merced, Tahir Rahim, Mike Epps, and Adam Scott. The movie has been in the works since 2019, with Morbius writers Burk Sharpless and Matt Sazama penning the script.

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
‘Did they forget Alexandra Daddario?’: Pop Star Dua Lipa Rumored To Be in Talks To Play Zatanna
By Anvesha Krishna | FandomWire
July 19, 2022

Pop-Star-Dua-Lipa-Rumored-To-Be-in-Talks-To-Play-Zatanna-1024x576.jpg

CEU’s fictional female superhero Zatanna is going to be turned into a movie. This is great news for all DC fans who just cannot wait any longer to watch their favorite character come to life. With the DCEU expanding, it’s only natural that one of the most powerful sorceresses will soon appear in live action.

Read more

dE32n3B.png

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How A Spider-Man Exhibit At San Diego Comic-Con’s Museum Plans To Immerse Fans In The Marvel Hero’s 60-Year History
By Sean O'Connell | Cinema Blend
July 19, 2022

oNKJVkzh8hCiNt9zEtemT5-1200-80.jpg.webp

Heroes from all corners of pop culture are honored during the annual gathering at San Diego Comic-Con, where Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Valiant, Image, IDW and more comic book properties bring their boldest and brightest to tease new adventures and thrilling expeditions. Marvel tends to be the Top Dog at the annual festival, and will be taking over Hall H for a massive presentation on Saturday night, where the slate of Upcoming Marvel Movies is expected to be confirmed. At the beginning of the convention, however, because the panels kick off and the presentations get underway, Marvel’s most iconic hero – Spider-Man – is getting inducted into a unique Hall of Fame, at a very special location that die-hard Webhead fans will want to visit.

On Wednesday, July 20, The Comic-Con Museum plans to introduce Spider-Man as the fourth inductee into its Museum Character Hall of Fame at a special event titled Night at the Comic-Con Museum, located in Balboa Park, 10 minutes outside of the Downtown San Diego area. As part of the event, attendees will be able to tour and experience Marvel's Spider-Man: Beyond Amazing - The Exhibition, which opened on July 1 and celebrates the 60-year history of Spidey in all medium.

In addition to the displays of art, costumes, and interactive experiences in the exhibit, the event will feature live entertainment, special guests, food, and drink. The Comic-Con Museum Character Hall of Fame pays tribute to the timeless characters who have shaped popular arts and culture. On July 20, Spider-Man will be recognized for his impact on pop culture. With the generous support and participation of Marvel Entertainment, the event will celebrate the 60th anniversary of Spider-Man.

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
50 Best Superhero Movie Performances of the Last 50 Years, From Ben Affleck to Zendaya
By Clayton Davis | Variety
July 19, 2022

5-Split-Offset-2-2-3.jpg

From the heroes like Batman and Wolverine to the terrifying villains such as Joker and Thanos, superhero movies have proven to be box office juggernauts, with the likes of Marvel and DC films leading the way. However, the artists who bring them to life, notably the actors who inhabit them, are often unappreciated at award shows. To celebrate the return of the San Diego Comic-Con on July 20, Variety ranks the 50 best superhero performances, in movies, of the last 50 years (post-1972).

While Hollywood royalty staples such as Martin Scorsese have been outspoken and critical of the superhero machine, the industry has been making progress in seeing its actors’ artistic merits and contributions. Joaquin Phoenix won best actor at the Oscars for his turn in “Joker” (2019), which led the nomination tally with 11. Heath Ledger preceded him by winning best supporting actor posthumously for his work in “The Dark Knight” (2008), the film most responsible for the Academy expanding its best picture allotments from five to 10.

Unfortunately, and although this ranking doesn’t focus on perceived “Oscar-worthy,” the list of snubs is far longer, with iconic performances, such as Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman in “Batman Returns” (1992) or Michael B. Jordan as Killmonger in “Black Panther,” (2017) failing to gain recognition.

<snip>

50. Michael Peña – Ant-Man (2015)

Read more

Completely agree with Heath Ledger at #1 but have issues with about 15 - 20 of the rankings.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ironheart Actor Confirms Filming Start
By Adam Barnhardt | comicbook.com
July 19, 2022

Filming for Ironheart is officially underway, with the show's biggest names having either been spotted on set or confirmed their involvement through social media posts. Earlier this month, Dominique Thorne was spotted on set as the eponymous superhero and Monday, Anthony Ramos confirmed he's also started filming his role.

"We started shooting Marvel. <censored> fire," Ramos said in a livestream on his Instagram account. "Yesterday was my first day. It went well. <censored> about to be crazy."Ramos' Hollywood star has skyrocketed over the past few years after serving in the original cast for Broadway's Hamilton. Last year, he became a bigger household name with his lead role in In the Heights and will soon lead Paramount's Transformers: Rise of the Beasts.

His Ironheart role has yet to be revealed, but common speculation line suggests the actor could be playing The Hood, adding a certain sense of mysticism to an otherwise technologically-based series.

Read more

quickccc

Reaction score
Sony Delays the Release of Another Marvel Movie
By Timothy Adams | comicbook.com
July 19, 2022

One of Sony Pictures' upcoming Marvel movies was just hit with a sizeable delay. Sony's Spider-Man Universe has slowly been growing in size, thanks to tentpoles like Venom and Morbius to go along with its Tom Holland-led Spider-Man trilogy. This is why the movie studio has planted its flag on a number of future release dates, possibly for a third movie in the Venom franchise and the additions of Madame Web and Kraven the Hunter. One of Sony's Marvel movies originally slated for a fall 2023 release is now set to be released in the summer of 2024.

An untitled Sony/Marvel Universe picture that was scheduled for October 6, 2023, is being moved to June 7, 2024. That's a difference of eight months, which may not matter in the grand scheme of things, especially since the project hasn't officially been announced. The Spider-Man spinoff Madame Web starring Dakota Johnson also had its release date changed, moving from April 7, 2023 to the now-open October 6, 2023. The film will follow the origin story of its titular character (played by Dakota Johnson), a clairvoyant whose psychic abilities allow her to see within the spider world itself. Production on the film recently began, with set photos seemingly hinting at sequences set in the early-2000s.

The Madame Web film will be directed by Jessica Jones alum S.J. Clarkson, and will also star Sydney Sweeney, Emma Roberts, Celeste O'Connor, Isabela Merced, Tahir Rahim, Mike Epps, and Adam Scott. The movie has been in the works since 2019, with Morbius writers Burk Sharpless and Matt Sazama penning the script.

Read more

01f1a8a11aac111bc62e12a1cf8b1ff9.jpg

b9d12cd0183eb2afa4ea950039641b62.jpg

e6e631b800ed8cdff0b0fd998ea9c8ac.jpg

8eb1c6318374e54666d04ecdcb0eff93.jpg

84d86b1a58c5ae5329e3d7ff3ba4158b.jpg

c83519cbbf700504f1167ed1686f3606.jpg

f660f04a933849811a9ec37d733eef25.jpg