Comics and Movies

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
50 Best Superhero Movie Performances of the Last 50 Years, From Ben Affleck to Zendaya
By Clayton Davis | Variety
July 19, 2022

5-Split-Offset-2-2-3.jpg

From the heroes like Batman and Wolverine to the terrifying villains such as Joker and Thanos, superhero movies have proven to be box office juggernauts, with the likes of Marvel and DC films leading the way. However, the artists who bring them to life, notably the actors who inhabit them, are often unappreciated at award shows. To celebrate the return of the San Diego Comic-Con on July 20, Variety ranks the 50 best superhero performances, in movies, of the last 50 years (post-1972).

While Hollywood royalty staples such as Martin Scorsese have been outspoken and critical of the superhero machine, the industry has been making progress in seeing its actors’ artistic merits and contributions. Joaquin Phoenix won best actor at the Oscars for his turn in “Joker” (2019), which led the nomination tally with 11. Heath Ledger preceded him by winning best supporting actor posthumously for his work in “The Dark Knight” (2008), the film most responsible for the Academy expanding its best picture allotments from five to 10.

Unfortunately, and although this ranking doesn’t focus on perceived “Oscar-worthy,” the list of snubs is far longer, with iconic performances, such as Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman in “Batman Returns” (1992) or Michael B. Jordan as Killmonger in “Black Panther,” (2017) failing to gain recognition.

<snip>

50. Michael Peña – Ant-Man (2015)

Read more

Completely agree with Heath Ledger at #1 but have issues with about 15 - 20 of the rankings.

Me too. Michael B Jordan is the third best performance?? Don’t confuse good writing with good acting! Especially his last line as he died. If you’re going to recognize a male lead in that movie, what a travesty to rank Jordan above Chadwick Boseman. Boseman invented his own accent, walked and acted with the regal wisdom of a confident king, had to master stunts aplenty… and I know it doesn’t count, but all while battling cancer. Jordan acted like… Jordan. Chris Evans at #10 as Captain America is another bad choice. He’s probably a better actor than people give him credit for but the people on that top ten ranking better blow me away. If you can’t think of roles that blow you away than give them to the classic actors like Cate Blanchette, Jack Nicholson and Gene Hackman who were all freaking awesome in their villain roles. The only actor with chops, i.e. Oscars, that I thought underperformed as a villain was Tommy Lee Jones in one of those earlier Batman movies.

quickccc

Reaction score
Ironheart Actor Confirms Filming Start
By Adam Barnhardt | comicbook.com
July 19, 2022

Filming for Ironheart is officially underway, with the show's biggest names having either been spotted on set or confirmed their involvement through social media posts. Earlier this month, Dominique Thorne was spotted on set as the eponymous superhero and Monday, Anthony Ramos confirmed he's also started filming his role.

"We started shooting Marvel. <censored> fire," Ramos said in a livestream on his Instagram account. "Yesterday was my first day. It went well. <censored> about to be crazy."Ramos' Hollywood star has skyrocketed over the past few years after serving in the original cast for Broadway's Hamilton. Last year, he became a bigger household name with his lead role in In the Heights and will soon lead Paramount's Transformers: Rise of the Beasts.

His Ironheart role has yet to be revealed, but common speculation line suggests the actor could be playing The Hood, adding a certain sense of mysticism to an otherwise technologically-based series.

Read more

3e2d8937d4046573037cf298422bdc1d.jpg

51ad927df0092c85c97d0777b94b93be.jpg

997d80856df2ea46fe16b84d8831cd4a.jpg

4e586e196e4027a81911bc6e2cbda545.jpg

32bc8560f0e53bb0e0d760730e7335a6.jpg

4f9f10d4f653a835dd2287f9c07c6acb.jpg

quickccc

Reaction score
New Xmen Animation series coming in 2023 ........

X-MEN '97 (2023) Disney+ Series | Teaser Trailer

https://movieweb.com/x-men-97-origi...vel Studios, X,available to stream on Disney+.

X-Men '97 Will Pick Up Soon After the Original Series, Expected to be Released in 2023
Several new details have now been revealed regarding X-Men '97, the revival of the beloved X-Men animated series due for release on Disney+
c639e82a8e50fa7e45e0941eb7f16b52.jpg

50c171154842519659758881ba2f5f87.jpg

f9157430fc6a76b4232caad0c0a15c2d.jpg

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So long as we can have our original Karen Page from DD back in there too ...
. (Wuff ..Wuff !) ..... . :p

Deborah Ann Woll
as Karen Page
1a9de2b66ea3ea2bcd6486e7c40241dd.jpg

7d4073d33d66683f1c183fe1b04a6abe.jpg
It would surprise me if Disney/Marvel brought back Woll's character. To me, Karen Page was an everyday innocent bystander caught up in whatever circumstance arose. The role was essentially copied from Daredevil onto The Defenders and The Punisher. I liked Woll's character much better in True Blood.

Rosario Dawson's role could be similarly seen as Woll's but she had the extra dynamic of being a nurse. If a main character got injured or needed medical advice, bam. Nurse Claire is there. That said, I am not certain Dawson's recurring role will be returning either. Both are fairly replaceable plot pieces.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
New Xmen Animation series coming in 2023 ........

X-MEN '97 (2023) Disney+ Series | Teaser Trailer

https://movieweb.com/x-men-97-original-series-expected-released-2023/#:~:text=Produced by Marvel Studios, X,available to stream on Disney+.

X-Men '97 Will Pick Up Soon After the Original Series, Expected to be Released in 2023
Several new details have now been revealed regarding X-Men '97, the revival of the beloved X-Men animated series due for release on Disney+
c639e82a8e50fa7e45e0941eb7f16b52.jpg

50c171154842519659758881ba2f5f87.jpg

f9157430fc6a76b4232caad0c0a15c2d.jpg

I gave a like for the X-Men 97 info.

Have I ever told y'all how much I detest fan made teaser trailers? You know. They are the kind that looks like an official source released them at first, with all the commercially correct LOGOS and intro or ending SEQUENCES from a movie or series (the little Disney+ endcap on this video was a nice touch).

Then. as you watching the trailer, you start saying stuff under your breath. "Hey. I have seen that scene before. And that one too. Those two don't go together. What the heck?" Makes me want to go all Taken on the creator:

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want.
If you are looking for amusement, I can tell you I don't have any giggles.
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills.
Skills I have acquired over a very long career.
Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you.
If you stop making these now, that'll be the end of it.
I will not look for you.
I will not pursue you.
But if you don't, I will look for you,
I will find you.
And I will kill you.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Excellent read. I would be lying if I said I was not conflicted about the whole thing.

On one hand, Snyder's alleged involvement in the mass harassment should be investigated, probably to the extent that Homeland Security should be engaged. This was cyberbullying to the nth level. There is way too much smoke to believe Snyder is pristine clean of the whole affair.

On the other hand, I have always had an issue with movie studios not doing their homework of a director's vision first before hiring them. There are more than enough qualified insiders--from cinematographers to special effects technicians to set designers, etc.--who can be hired as a resource to examine a director's rough plan and speculate on production cost.

In hindsight I do not believe Snyder could have completed his original Justice League film without significant overruns. Instead, the studio dumps Snyder, hires Joss Whedon, who pooped out that 2017 cow manure. As a member of the audience, I am thankful the studio was forced to pump an additional $100 million after-the-fact to get Snyder's director cut made for HBO Max.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Excellent read. I would be lying if I said I was not conflicted about the whole thing.

On one hand, Snyder's alleged involvement in the mass harassment should be investigated, probably to the extent that Homeland Security should be engaged. This was cyberbullying to the nth level. There is way too much smoke to believe Snyder is pristine clean of the whole affair.

On the other hand, I have always had an issue with movie studios not doing their homework of a director's vision first before hiring them. There are more than enough qualified insiders--from cinematographers to special effects technicians to set designers, etc.--who can be hired as a resource to examine a director's rough plan and speculate on production cost.

In hindsight I do not believe Snyder could have completed his original Justice League film without significant overruns. Instead, the studio dumps Snyder, hires Joss Whedon, who pooped out that 2017 cow manure. As a member of the audience, I am thankful the studio was forced to pump an additional $100 million after-the-fact to get Snyder's director cut made for HBO Max.

It’s clear to me that Warner Bros failed to ‘do their homework’ in many areas when it comes to the DCEU. Clearly they chose the wrong guy in Snyder to ‘run’ the whole thing, he’s no Kevin Feige.

And they’re now looking at two upcoming film releases featuring very unlikeable actors, some even in the lead role!

Decisions like these - and many more - play a huge part in why they’re no competition for Disney/Marvel.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's Blue Beetle ?
Good question. There have been three incarnations of the character. Hopefully the studio is intelligent enough to go with the latest one.

Blue Beetle is a teenager, who comes into possession with alien technology that infuses with his nervous system. The device looks like an Egyptian scarab and gives its host numerous capabilities.

To be honest, the character is similar in notable ways to Cyborg. The device can morph into an exoskeleton that can, in turn, morph into various weapons and objects. It gives the user the capability of flight also.

Here is a clip from a Young Justice episode of Blue Beetle fighting Black Beetle (don't ask who he is so it does not get any more confusing :muttley: )

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s clear to me that Warner Bros failed to ‘do their homework’ in many areas when it comes to the DCEU. Clearly they chose the wrong guy in Snyder to ‘run’ the whole thing, he’s no Kevin Feige.

And they’re now looking at two upcoming film releases featuring very unlikeable actors, some even in the lead role!

Decisions like these - and many more - play a huge part in why they’re no competition for Disney/Marvel.
I am okay with the studio divorcing itself from Snyder but I am forever grateful he had the opportunity to make his version of Justice League before getting the permanent axe.

quickccc

Reaction score
Fvkod6O.png

I am not entirely sure why my first strike was guessing The Bridge On The River Kwai. :laugh::banghead:

i keep hearing so much about The Bridge On The River Kwai., i tried it for first 30 minutes, but never finished up on it.
But its' considered a cult classic of the oldies,.. one of the best prisoner of wars movies ever made...... :cool: