Comics and Movies

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think a great topic of conversation would be just what era/version of X-men will we get?

By that I mean, will we get the original comics team with Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Angel, Iceman?

Or will it be a mish-mish like Fox gave us?
I hope it's the original lineup. Then again, I'm not very familiar with most of the other ones. Which incarnation included Bishop? He was a pretty cool character, I thought.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think a great topic of conversation would be just what era/version of X-men will we get?

By that I mean, will we get the original comics team with Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Angel, Iceman?

One of the original reasons, I was not as thrilled as the rest of the audience when the original X-Men film came out, was I wanted Xavier's original gifted students established first. For example, I wanted Marvel Girl at the beginning and could have waited for Wolverine to show up later in a sequel.

The animated series likely was a huge influence on Bryan Singer's selections in my opinion. It was pretty darn popular.

Warren Worthington III should not have been absent until X-Men: The Last Stand. That was a travesty in my book. And introducing Bobby Drake as a kid would have been okay IF his original classmates had been the same age. Conversely, Dr. Hank McCoy debuting as much much older Beast did not make me happy either lol.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry, by "original" I meant 'long, flowing haired Storm, multichromatic haired Rogue, Cyclops, Wolverine, Beast, Nightcrawler, etc.
My bad. Heck my brain read Bishop and I still typed Gambit. :muttley:

Storm, Nightcrawler and Wolverine were 1970's creations. They heralded the huge popularity of the Uncanny title, which was a so-so comic before them. Rogue (hair and all) was early 80's (I think). Beast and Cyclops were there from the very start in the early 1960's.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One of the original reasons, I was not as thrilled as the rest of the audience when the original X-Men film came out, was I wanted Xavier's original gifted students established first. For example, I wanted Marvel Girl at the beginning and could have waited for Wolverine to show up later in a sequel.

The animated series likely was a huge influence on Bryan Singer's selections in my opinion. It was pretty darn popular.

Warren Worthington III should not have been absent until X-Men: The Last Stand. That was a travesty in my book. And introducing Bobby Drake as a kid would have been okay IF his original classmates had been the same age. Conversely, Dr. Hank McCoy debuting as much much older Beast did not make me happy either lol.
The first movie was pretty much what I would have expected, considering the time I started reading my roommate's editions, and the animated series.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The first movie was pretty much what I would have expected, considering the time I started reading my roommate's editions, and the animated series.
It is safe to say most of the audience expected the same. My hopes were that the story would start at the beginning, when Charles Xavier was inspired to begin teaching young mutants to control their powers in a world that feared their differences.

That initial inspiration is a core element of the entire Marvel mutant story. The 2000 film tells it from a Professor Xavier perspective that has the benefit of "many" previous experiences under his belt. Same goes for Jean, Scott and Ororo. It is not that different from the animated series' presentation.

I selfishly wanted the non-comic book audience's first exposure to mutants to be fresh. Young mutants learning their unique abilities for the first time, bonding together and defending a world that (in many cases) hated them. Seeing how they learn to adjust mentally to that naked animosity and triumph despite it. I wanted to see them grow into heroes.

That said, I still say Patrick Steward was perfect casting as Xavier. Guess it did not hurt that I loved him as Jean-Luc Picard also. :laugh:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It is safe to say most of the audience expected the same. My hopes were that the story would start at the beginning, when Charles Xavier was inspired to begin teaching young mutants to control their powers in a world that feared their differences.

That initial inspiration is a core element of the entire Marvel mutant story. The 2000 film tells it from a Professor Xavier perspective that has the benefit of "many" previous experiences under his belt. Same goes for Jean, Scott and Ororo. It is not that different from the animated series' presentation.

I selfishly wanted the non-comic book audience's first exposure to mutants to be fresh. Young mutants learning their unique abilities for the first time, bonding together and defending a world that (in many cases) hated them. Seeing how they learn to adjust mentally to that naked animosity and triumph despite it. I wanted to see them grow into heroes.

That said, I still say Patrick Steward was perfect casting as Xavier. Guess it did not hurt that I loved him as Jean-Luc Picard also. :laugh:
Oh yeah, Stewart was the a home run. He's to Prof X what J K Simmons is to J. Jonah Jameson.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
My bad. Heck my brain read Bishop and I still typed Gambit. :muttley:

Storm, Nightcrawler and Wolverine were 1970's creations. They heralded the huge popularity of the Uncanny title, which was a so-so comic before them. Rogue (hair and all) was early 80's (I think). Beast and Cyclops were there from the very start in the early 1960's.
I'd like to see Colossus as part of the team, he doesn't get the attention he should. Gotta love the "Fastball Special"

latest

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I’m in agreement with you there and I hope Marvel has the patience to go things the way they were done in the comics.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd like to see Colossus as part of the team, he doesn't get the attention he should. Gotta love the "Fastball Special"

latest
:hammer:

Another reason why I still detest Bryan Singer. He had zero strength heavy hitters in X-Men and X2. Sorry. My bad. Colossus was seen doodling in X-Men. He dealt with a few soldiers that attacked the mansion in X2. Years later, Singer had Colossus lose a quick fight with Sentinels in X-Men: Days of Future Past. That guy knows his mutants. :rolleyes:

quickccc

Reaction score

I have no problem at all with the first three Xmen films (original Xmen, ...United.. and First Class) as well Days of Future Past
..in fact I've always thought (and still think) those four should be considered classics, ... so it wasn't all bad, imo

I'll leave the rest of the Wolverine, Xmen Last Stand,... Xmen:Origins, .....Dark Phoemix, ..and Apocalyse to ya'll ... ;)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have no problem at all with the first three Xmen films (original Xmen, ...United.. and First Class) as well Days of Future Past
..in fact I've always thought (and still think) those four should be considered classics, ... so it wasn't all bad, imo

I'll leave the rest of the Wolverine, Xmen Last Stand,... Xmen:Origins, .....Dark Phoemix, ..and Apocalyse to ya'll ... ;)

I feel that they succeeded despite poor management, not because of it. I think Fox merely scratched the surface of the X-men intellectual property that they had. And ultimately they failed so miserably that they ended up selling the rights back.

quickccc

Reaction score
:hammer:

Another reason why I still detest Bryan Singer. He had zero strength heavy hitters in X-Men and X2. Sorry. My bad. Colossus was seen doodling in X-Men. He dealt with a few soldiers that attacked the mansion in X2. Years later, Singer had Colossus lose a quick fight with Sentinels in X-Men: Days of Future Past. That guy knows his mutants. :rolleyes:

Yeh, the "Fast-Ball " special ended up being displayed in the forgettable director's Brett Ratners' Xmen Last Stand .... but since it perceived to be one of the misses in the Xmen film series, that maybe it was so forgotten about . ?

Frankly, overall i thought Bryan Singer hit it big with three Xmen, but missed the fast ball on Apocalypse - Great action sequences, and CGI effects, but whenm it came down to
character developing, the four horsemen issues, once again the questionable development of the Phoenix force,- it was made too much of just a special effects movie, and
escaping too much of the element of the Xmen...imo .

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ryan Reynolds And Hugh Jackman Confirm Deadpool And Logan With Be Disney+’s First R-Rated Movies, And Their Responses Are Classic
By Adam Holmes | Cinema Blend
July 21, 2022

jAxQcjqPhw5JzSA5D5riTo-1200-80.jpg.webp

Although Disney+ is still largely a family-friendly streaming service, in recent months, more content has been added to the platform that’s specifically targeted at older audiences. For instance, looking at the Marvel realm, shows like Daredevil and Jessica Jones that originated from Netflix can now be viewed on Disney+, though you’ll need to make sure your parental controls are properly set up to make sure the little ones don’t accidentally view these shows. Well, now the platform is getting its first R-rated movies in the form of Deadpool, Deadpool 2 and Logan, and Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman have provided some classic responses to that.

Disney+ has been home to many of the Fox-era X-Men movies for a while now, and starting tomorrow, July 22, Disney+ subscribers will also be able to watch Deadpool, Deadpool 2 and Logan, the only R-rated entries in this superhero franchise. However, leave it to Ryan Reynolds to remind people that some of the Disney movies made for the kiddies aren’t free from delivering their own questionable material.

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MCU Jokes That Didn't Age Well
By Liam Gaughan | Slash Film
July 21, 2022

intro-1658432438.webp

It can't be overstated how important humor is within the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The MCU is very complex and requires dedication from the viewers. Trying to figure out how each connected storyline relates to each other would feel like homework if the audience didn't have characters that they cared about. Thankfully, Kevin Feige and the creative forces at Marvel Studios have always nailed their casting choices, selecting actors that have a sense of humor. Marvel needed the audience to love the characters first and foremost, even if they didn't enjoy every single project they were in. If you love Chris Hemsworth's performance as Thor, you might be able to forgive him for making 2013' "Thor: The Dark World." "Iron Man 2" might seem like a bad movie to many, but that doesn't mean that Robert Downey Jr. isn't still great as Tony Stark.

The MCU's ability to poke fun at itself is instrumental to its success. One of the reasons that the DCEU never took off in the same way was the cold, humorless nature of the characters. The MCU has evolved significantly since the first "Iron Man" film was released in 2008. Some of the humor in the earlier MCU films now feels outdated, or sometimes the increasingly expansive nature of the franchise has also made some earlier jokes irrelevant. These MCU jokes haven't aged well at all.

Next Time, Baby — Iron Man (2008)

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How Marvel's Knights of X is modernizing the mythology of Captain Britain
By Christian Holub | Entertainment Weekly
July 21, 2022

Thanks to Chris Evans, Captain America became one of the most recognizable superheroes on the planet. But not all viewers of the Marvel Cinematic Universe may know that across the Atlantic Ocean, Great Britain also has a costumed champion. Now is a good time to learn, because Captain Britain has never been more interesting than she is right now.

When the character Captain Britain was first created by Chris Claremont and Herb Trimpe in 1976, the role was filled by Brian Braddock — a son of the nobility who was infused with mystical powers by the ancient wizard Merlin. Though initially appearing with his own cast of characters, Captain Britain eventually became entwined with Claremont's X-Men in '80s comics like Excalibur. When Marvel rebooted the X-Men comic franchise in 2019 with the event story House of X/Powers of X, a new Excalibur series began under writer Tini Howard and artist Marcus To. This new era, which continues with the current sequel series Knights of X, passed the mantle of Captain Britain from Brian to his twin sister, Betsy (a mutant psychic and X-Men team member who had previously used the codename Psylocke).

"For me, the most interesting thing about this character has always been that they're not a nationalist hero, they're a magical hero who defends the idea of story and legend," Howard tells EW. "I like looking at those legends and talking about what kind of people are allowed to have these victory stories. What kind of people are allowed to be heroes?"

Read more

582tW4T.png