Comics and Movies

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! Mentioning WASHINGTON??? C'mon! We're having a civil discussion here! :muttley:
Captain_America_Civil_War_logo.png
:muttley:
Of course, I am not an exception to change either. And I have a bone to pick with any justification or rational about a character's popularity leading to change. It has been argued the original Captain Marvel's popularity was directly impacted by Marvel's lack of solid commitment to telling his story.

Regardless, Mar-Vell (the original superhero, not Annette Benning :D ) did have a fanbase for his 15 years of fictional life and I was definitely one of them. His origin as a minority in Kree society struck a chord within me from the moment I first starting reading his title. His abilities and Nega-bands were extraordinary, which makes it even more strange why Marvel was not more committed in his storytelling. And his costume uniform remains one of the best designs I have ever see drawn in any comics line--Marvel, DC, whatever. It was certainly far superior to his first short-lived uniform, THAT'S for sure. :laugh:

The publisher was modest about his life on paper but did have him go out in grand style, which is still a strange contradiction. Maybe they felt bad for his fans, lol? Marvel took full advantage of killing him off with the launch of its graphic novel line:

I don't doubt his popularity was impacted with how Marvel handled the character, from what I remember reading, the only reason they published the comic was to keep the "Captain Marvel" name. I had and read those early Captain Marvel comics, it was OK, but the character never really grabbed me, but you are right, he did have a cool costume.

I think they killed him off for the insurance money. :p You're right for a modest character, he did go out in style, thanks in large part to Jim Starlin. If someone else does that story, it may have gone relatively unnoticed, you put Jim Starlin on it, instant "Comic Cred". Then Starlin gives this great story and makes you want to re-evaluate the character.

fetchimage

A Starlin double dip.......:muttley:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“We’re Both Gods of Thunders”- Zachary Levi Teases a Marvel-DC Crossover as He Calls Out Chris Hemsworth’s Thor to a Battle
By Subham Mandal | FandonWire
July 26, 2022

Zachary-Levi-Teases-a-Marvel-DC-Crossover-as-He-Calls-Out-Chris-Hemsworths-Thor-to-a-Battle-1024x576.jpg

Zachary Levi teases a major Marvel-DC Crossover at the San Diego Comic-Con 2022 as he expresses his thoughts on battling the one and only Thor of MCU played by Chris Hemsworth. As everyone was hyped up regarding the rumors of Henry Cavill and Superman’s surprise appearance at the SDCC 22, he was nowhere to be seen at the event. But setting that aside, the Shazam actor drops another exciting detail: he wants to fight MCU’s Thor.

We go to watch a new trailer for the sequel of the 2019 DC hit Shazam! titled Shazam! Fury of the Gods and the trailer received much attention from everyone and created quite a positive buzz on the internet among DC fans as everybody loved the first movie and is also excited for the sequel.

The SDCC 22 turned more interesting for DC when during an interview, Zachary Levi expressed his wish of fighting the Marvel Norse God of Thunder when he was asked about which hero Shazam would like to fight. As everybody including the interviewer expected him to name someone from his own superhero universe, but the actor took a different take and expressed his wish of fighting Thor:

If I could fight somebody like cross into like Marvel or something like that, I would go fight Thor. I think that’d be fun because we’re both like Gods of Thunder you know Gods of lightning you know what I mean and Chris Hemsworth would be kind of fun.

Thor would beat Shazam! like a wet dishrag.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
New DC Movies and TV Shows: 2022 Release Dates and Beyond
By Ign Staff | IGN
July 25, 2022

<snip>

For those keeping track, here's the full lineup of upcoming DC movies and TV shows:

• Harley Quinn Season 3 (July 28, 2022)
  • DC League of Super Pets (July 29, 2022)
  • The Sandman TV Series (August 5, 2022)
  • Black Adam (October 21, 2022)
  • Shazam! Fury of the Gods (December 21, 2022)
  • Batgirl (2022)
  • Titans Season 4 (Likely 2022)
  • Doom Patrol Season 4 (Likely 2022)
  • The Arrowverse TV Series (2021-2022 Seasons)
  • Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (March 17, 2023)
  • The Flash (June 23, 2023)
  • Blue Beetle (August 18, 2023)
  • Peacemaker Season 2 (Likely 2023)
  • Wonder Woman 3 (In Development)
  • Joker: Folie à Deux (In Development)
  • Gotham PD/Arkham TV Series (In Development)
  • Penguin TV Series (In Development)
  • Superman TV Series/Movie (In Development)
  • Green Lantern Corps TV Series (In Development)
  • Justice League Dark TV Series/Movie (In Development)
  • Constantine TV Series (In Development)
  • Madame X TV Series (In Development)
  • Zatanna (In Development)
  • Hourman (In Development)
  • Static Shock (In Development)
  • Gotham Knights TV Series (In Development)
  • Aqualad Series (In Development)
  • Dead Boy Detectives (In Development)
  • Amanda Waller Series (In Development)
  • Pennyworth (Status Unknown)
  • Supergirl (Status Unknown)
Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This has bother me somewhat since seeing the movie. Does anyone else think all the male members of Shazam! family look cartoonishly huge but the female members appear normal sized?

Before Shazam! in the DCEU, I thought Ben Affleck's Batman uniform was a tad too large but not extremely so. I did not feel the same about the guys' outfits in this movie.

maxresdefault.jpg

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This has bother me somewhat since seeing the movie. Does anyone else think all the male members of Shazam! family look cartoonishly huge but the female members appear normal sized?

Before Shazam! in the DCEU, I thought Ben Affleck's Batman uniform was a tad too large but not extremely so. I did not feel the same about the guys' outfits in this movie.

maxresdefault.jpg
I don't think most women fantasize about being jacked, and most men wouldn't find it attractive. They look fit, but not manly. The guys look silly though.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think most women fantasize about being jacked, and most men wouldn't find it attractive. They look fit, but not manly. The guys look silly though.
That's the thing though. I doubt neither Meagan Good nor Michelle Borth thought the producers or director would ever put them in muscle suits and that makes perfect sense (to me at least) but the guys DO look silly. That was done on purpose. Why was it necessary? For laughs maybe?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's the thing though. I doubt neither Meagan Good nor Michelle Borth thought the producers or director would ever put them in muscle suits and that makes perfect sense (to me at least) but the guys DO look silly. That was done on purpose. Why was it necessary? For laughs maybe?
I guess they would have had to make Zachary Levi's costume less muscular too, and I'm not sure that would have worked for the movie.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why not? Levi will never look like Dwayne Johnson in a Shazam costume. Levi knows that. The audience knows that. The guys ended up looking like balloon dogs.
I feel like his character is meant to be what the person who becomes him imagines himself to be. In this case, the boys picture their superhero identities to be abnormally muscular, while the girls are fit and sexy.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I feel like his character is meant to be what the person who becomes him imagines himself to be. In this case, the boys picture their superhero identities to be abnormally muscular, while the girls are fit and sexy.
Well. I guess I should be thankful Tom Hanks & crew did not think up the same concept for Big. :)

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Maybe it was intentional to give it the comic book feel, it would be comic book accurate. All the guys are jacked and costumes skin tight, women are sexy in skin tight and/or short skirts, etc

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe it was intentional to give it the comic book feel, it would be comic book accurate. All the guys are jacked and costumes skin tight, women are sexy in skin tight and/or short skirts, etc
I'm going to post a pic in response but it will be later. It's clock out time here at work folks! I'm outta here! :p

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

ZHekwdR.jpg

...and both seen in ONE scene.

However, Mary and/or Darla replace Billy at the table in the exact same scene and cartoonish is omitted.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When did Disney buy Marvel and for how much? The historic deal explained.
By Anna Kaufman | USA Today
July 28, 2022

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has captured the imagination of moviegoers for over a decade now, with the announcement of upcoming titles like "Captain America New World Order" and "Avengers: The Kang Dynasty" whipping the fandom into a frenzy.

Given the somewhat danger-drive plotlines of most Marvel movies, it might surprise viewers to know that the answer to the question "Who owns Marvel?" is in fact the house that Mickey built: the Walt Disney Co.

Although former CEO Bob Iger admitted some Disney execs had originally been concerned the characters were a bit more "edgy" than the Disney brand, the bet to buy the comic-book giant paid off handsomely. As Marvel Phase 5 and 6 make their way to the big screen and promise more box office gains, here's you need to know about the original acquisition.

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
‘Harley Quinn’ Season 3 Is the Perfect Cure for Superhero Fatigue
By Shannon O'Connor | Daily Beast
July 28, 2022

220726-O-Connor-Harley-Quinn-tease_xnbmep

Hey you! Yes, you—are you growing less and less excited about every new Marvel release? Do the many different iterations of Batman within the last 10 years have your head spinning? Well, you might just have superhero fatigue.

Don't worry, it’s a pretty common diagnosis right now. The good news is that there is a cure: the Harley Quinn animated series on HBO Max.

Yes, it is a show set in the DC Universe, starring a lot of the same superheroes and villains (and everything in between). And yes, it might seem like something that would only add to your existing fatigue. But, in reality, Harley Quinn is the ultimate palate cleanser. Now in its third season, which premiered Thursday with its first three episodes (the rest will release on a weekly basis), the show can only be summed up in one word: as Harley herself would put it, fan-<expletive>-tastic.

Harley Quinn is neither your typical superhero show nor your average cartoon. It’s absolutely for mature audiences, not only because of its over-the-top violence, but also for Harley and her crew’s affinity for foul language. This is a show where heads explode and Harley’s bat literally snaps bones in half, and even Poison Ivy drops a casual <expletive.-bomb. What this amounts to is a fever dream starring the most iconic DC comic characters at their absolute most unhinged, and I mean this in the best way possible.

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MCU Phases 4-6 Now Have 6 Different Superhero Teams
By Nicholas Raymond | Screen Rant
July 27, 2022

Eternals-Fantastic-four-guardians-of-the-galaxy.jpg

The MCU’s Multiverse Saga already has six confirmed superhero teams. That number is drastically different from what the MCU had when the heroes were fighting Thanos in the Infinity Saga. Though there was no shortage of super-powered characters back then, the only two major groups were the Avengers and the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Though Earth’s Mightiest Heroes are defunct at the end of Avengers: Endgame, the MCU could soon be brimming with superhero teams. Movies in Phase 4, Phase 5, and Phase 6 will provide the MCU with plenty of superhero alliances it can rely on in the future. But in the case of some Marvel Comics groups, it’s hard to say exactly when they’ll be showing up. Phase 4 has laid the groundwork for live-action versions of the Young Avengers, the West Coast Avengers, the X-Men, and the Inhumans, but after all the announcements that were made by Marvel Studios at San Diego Comic-Con 2022, none of them may actually form until Phase 7.

Regardless of whether or not the above teams exist between Phase 4 and Phase 6, the MCU is sure to have at least a few groups on hand by the end of the Multiverse Saga. That does seem necessary, after all, given that Avengers: Secret Wars is based on a story that united representatives from Marvel’s four biggest teams. Looking at the setup it has in place, Marvel can indeed put together a massive mash-up of heroes for its final Phase 6 installment. Here’s every superhero team Marvel will have introduced before the conclusion of the Multiverse Saga.

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Site Rule #5 - You will not post... sexually insensitive discussions or comments.

We do not post images on CowboysZone that might be interpreted as suggestive or misconstrued.

But

Erin Moriarty plays the comics book character Starlight on the Amazon Prime Video's series The Boys, which is related to this thread.

So

If anyone googles yesterday's Giant Freakin Robot dot com article entitled, "See Erin Moriarty Showing Off Her Legs", which includes home photos the actress posted on her Instagram account, well, that's on y'all.

:)