Comics and Movies

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rosario Dawson Talks “Heartbreaking” ‘Clerks III’ and Unfinished Business with Marvel
By Brian Davids | The Hollywood Reporter
September 6, 2022

GettyImages-1417833939-H-2022.jpg

<snip>

Dawson, who’s close to wrapping season one of her upcoming Star Wars series Ahsoka, is also hoping to reprise her Marvel character, Claire Temple, on Disney+’s upcoming MCU series Daredevil: Born Again, which will consist of 18 episodes. The former night-shift nurse appeared on Marvel Television’s Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and The Defenders, which are now streaming on Disney+, as Netflix’s licensing deal expired.

“Yeah, I’d be super curious, but I’m just so stoked for everybody, though. It’s been a long time coming,” Dawson says. “I was really excited to know that all of our shows are actually part of the MCU now, with Charlie [Cox] and Vincent [D’Onofrio] coming over into these different projects now. So, yeah, 18 episodes [of Daredevil: Born Again]? I’m there! Disney, Marvel, Star Wars, they know where I am.”

<snip>

Read more

9ce9d1dfe0b6a40182ef8e59d4_YyAxMzgzeDc3OCsxMjIrMQJyZSA1MDAgMjgwA2UxOTlkMGExZWVk.jpg

Perfect casting.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
- If it was based off female audience population, there would have already been a successful trend in female action films.

- My theory is the astounding boom effect of superhero comic movies of today (especially Marvel) which to this day are flat out conquering and dominating
the attention of general viewing audience and population, in both movie theaters and streaming action.
Much to the dismay and frustration of opposing, competiting studios, directors and even actors.

- Marvel has always had quite a very huge fan base, maybe the equal if not bigger than Star Wars, imo,..but now the massive boom effect of the Marvel superhero film era generation
has led to attracting and drawing even the non-Marvel comic followers, to the big screen and streaming trend.

- Wonder Woman, (especially a “ DC comics “ female superhero film) - who easily succeeded both Batman vs Superman and Justice League box office numbers
was already a legendary popular superhero figure,. Even the audience that wasn’t really big comic followers knew who WW was, and how popular she was.

- Then came the glowing movie critic reviews - and we know how hugely influential they can be on viewing audiences - to go along with WW directional debut per Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot’s
appearance-look and performance in her solo debut as WW.

- Black Widow solo film(and success) clearly fed off the smashing popular success of Avengers, Capt America and Iron Man, .. so the massive build up and her character likeability
that led to her eventual solo film was
Obvious. And I’ve already address what I thought led to the box office success of Capt. Marvel.

- Regardless of how I feel about Larson and the Capt. Marvel movie (yes, I’m still reeling, disgusted about origin of Nick Fury’s cat scratched eye (Aaargh !)
If it took the Avengers-Thanos saga to make a female superhero stand out among rare monster box office hits, ..( that could help lead to even more solo female hit movies)
* Then so be it ..!!

Let the flood gates burst wide open for even more solo female smash hits …Black Panther (shukira) _Wakanda forever ... She-Hulk series ?... She-Hulk series ?
upcoming " Iron Heart " series debut..... a possible Scarlett Witch solo movie ? .. … Storm movie or series ? …
.... Etc. Etc. :cool:
There already has been a trend for successful female lead action films. Tomb Raiders, Resident Evils, Underworlds, Aliens, Kill Bills, countless Charlize Theron movies, even the new "Prey" movie and not to mention the movies like "Colombiana" , "Mulan", "Hanna" etc.

It's not a trend anymore, blame Marvel and DC for not doing it sooner, the public has been consuming female lead action movies for a couple decades now. Marvel wants to make a big deal about female leads now? The real coattail's they are riding are Angelina Jolie, Uma Thurman, Milla Jovavich, Kate Beckinsale, Charliize Theron and of course Sigourney Weaver.

CreativeGraciousCaimanlizard-size_restricted.gif

nobody

Reaction score
Sources: 2012, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

WELL! When I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I was certain female audiences drove Captain Marvel's box office. Perhaps that was true worldwide but the domestic numbers do not back up my assumption.

However, I do not discount any gender buying movie tickets. I consider things relative as far as 'trend' is concerned when factoring in gender.

Wjel860.jpg

Above are films over the past decade, that are (at least) partially action genre based, headlined by actresses. [Note: 2018 is omitted. I considered 2018's Ocean's 8 but did not want to invest more time digging up gender share info.] It really surprised me that Captain Marvel was male dominated, with a freaking 57% share!

Non-Star Wars/Marvel films tracked better with female audiences. That is what I anticipated and contributed to my shock about Captain Marvel attendance in particular. Star Wars movies are deeply rooted in male audience attendance, so it was not shocking to me at all neither Rey nor Jyn Erso flipped those percentages, lol.

Now, here's the thing about the "legendary" assumption. By comparison, Princess Diana, established decades earlier and enjoyed a ton of television success in the 1970's, was more well-known than Katniss Everdeen. Her core audience are comic book fans after all. Even so, Katniss' films were better received and performed better overall than Diana's because they were produced better. The New Kid on the Block was more successful overall than the DC Legend due to better movies (WW84 is still a crying shame).

Movie critics' reviews are beneficial over the short-term. They rarely sustain box office profitability over a theatrical run. Each movie's quality does or does not do that for themselves in attracting initial and repeat moviegoers--or turning them off.

Which brings me to Black Widow. I cannot agree the film was truly successful when considering production costs and the sub $400 million box office it took in worldwide. All the smashing success of Captain America, etc., would have been more helpful to BW if it had gotten the boost from Captain America: Civil War--which is exactly where it fits after in the MCU timeline. Instead, Disney/Marvel waited until after the events of Avengers: Endgame and untimely circumstances (which will not be discussed here) to release the movie direct to Disney+. That was not a good strategy on Kevin Feige & Company's part regardless that they did not own a crystal ball.

I will be the first to extend props to you on a Scarlet Witch solo movie if it ever happens. Another television series? Maybe. I give a movie's chances about 3% of ever happening. On the other hand, I would give Storm solo film around a 15% chance without knowing anything about Disney's plans for the mutants. And my percentage would go up or down based upon both the actress picked for Ororo Munroe AND what type of projects the studio will finally set up for the mutants to return to the big screen.

Disney was completely stupid when it came to Black Widow. They shot themselves in the foot by making the movie after the character's on-screen death. People knew how she'd turn out and a lot of them didn't bother. I think a Black Widow movie would have made a lot more money and been more successful if it had been made and released before Infinity War. Then they could have done a Black Widow 2 that was basically what they released as the Black Widow movie.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Disney was completely stupid when it came to Black Widow. They shot themselves in the foot by making the movie after the character's on-screen death. People knew how she'd turn out and a lot of them didn't bother. I think a Black Widow movie would have made a lot more money and been more successful if it had been made and released before Infinity War. Then they could have done a Black Widow 2 that was basically what they released as the Black Widow movie.
:hammer:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They would probably have to go younger, just based on how long it will be before they actually get around to making an X-Men movie and then add a few more years by the time they make a sequel. :muttley:

Absolutely. And if Marvel goes the ‘chronological route’, Storm doesn’t even show up until the second team of X-Men.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Timing was certainly poor regarding the character’s death. And world events then finished off whatever chances for financial success the film may have had. A perfect storm of terrible.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There already has been a trend for successful female lead action films. Tomb Raiders, Resident Evils, Underworlds, Aliens, Kill Bills, countless Charlize Theron movies, even the new "Prey" movie and not to mention the movies like "Colombiana" , "Mulan", "Hanna" etc.

It's not a trend anymore, blame Marvel and DC for not doing it sooner, the public has been consuming female lead action movies for a couple decades now. Marvel wants to make a big deal about female leads now? The real coattail's they are riding are Angelina Jolie, Uma Thurman, Milla Jovavich, Kate Beckinsale, Charliize Theron and of course Sigourney Weaver.

nJqaiMX.png

Sources: Aeon Flux, Aliens, Colombiana, Hanna, Kill Bill Vol 1, Lara Croft Tomb Raider, Mulan, Prey, Resident Evil, Underworld

Slightly off-topic but it makes me laugh a little how often I agree or disagree with paid critics AND my fellow moviegoers. For example, I disagree with audiences BUT agree with paid critics about Mulan. Conversely, I do not know what paid critics were thinking about Colombiana while agreeing with audience opinion. Critics makes me what to train dogs to eat on command for their rating lol.

I think both critics and moviegoers OVERrated Aeon Flux. That movie and Milla Jovovich's Ultraviolet still make my head shake. Charlize Theron was much better in Atomic Blonde. On the other hand, I believe critics and audiences UNDERrated Kill Bill Vol. 1 to this very day despite their high marks.

I have said it many times before that it is not often when I agree completely with both groups. Aliens is one of those rare moments. "GET AWAY FROM HER YOU" it is going be a great day today. :p

quickccc

Reaction score

Columbiana (which i loved) was considered a box office failure with only 11 million opening weekend box office, Tomb Raider didn't wow at the box office, and
due wonders why they decided to reboot it at that. (which turned into a flop)

Underworld and Aliens were movies emphasized more off their sci fi creature effects than the female lead being the highlight of the movies.

Ditto with Resident Evil, it's a female lead role, but they don't conquer the box office record books as Wonder Woman, Black Widow, Capt Marvel.
Because of the superhero mania effect, we're seeing that happening in box office record breaking numbers and manner in the 85 to 149 million settings.

" Elektra" was a superhero and a female lead role, but it was a box office bomb, .. Halle Berry was a comic book character but was a huge part of one of the
most dreadful comic book movie bust of all time with Catwoman,..

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
nJqaiMX.png

Sources: Aeon Flux, Aliens, Colombiana, Hanna, Kill Bill Vol 1, Lara Croft Tomb Raider, Mulan, Prey, Resident Evil, Underworld

Slightly off-topic but it makes me laugh a little how often I agree or disagree with paid critics AND my fellow moviegoers. For example, I disagree with audiences BUT agree with paid critics about Mulan. Conversely, I do not know what paid critics were thinking about Colombiana while agreeing with audience opinion. Critics makes me what to train dogs to eat on command for their rating lol.

I think both critics and moviegoers OVERrated Aeon Flux. That movie and Milla Jovovich's Ultraviolet still make my head shake. Charlize Theron was much better in Atomic Blonde. On the other hand, I believe critics and audiences UNDERrated Kill Bill Vol. 1 to this very day despite their high marks.

I have said it many times before that it is not often when I agree completely with both groups. Aliens is one of those rare moments. "GET AWAY FROM HER YOU" it is going be a great day today. :p
You put "Aeon Flux" in there, which is fair, it was a clunker, but what about "The Old Guard". Not a theatrical release, but well received and it was a female lead, leading a group of superheroes.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
nJqaiMX.png

I'm shocked Prey got such high marks. As bad*** as the Predator has proven to be, against much more worthy opponents, IMO, the movie just makes no sense to me...unless this particular Predator was an inferior representative of the species.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Columbiana (which i loved) was considered a box office failure with only 11 million opening weekend box office, Tomb Raider didn't wow at the box office, and
due wonders why they decided to reboot it at that. (which turned into a flop)

Underworld and Aliens were movies emphasized more off their sci fi creature effects than the female lead being the highlight of the movies.

Ditto with Resident Evil, it's a female lead role, but they don't conquer the box office record books as Wonder Woman, Black Widow, Capt Marvel.
Because of the superhero mania effect, we're seeing that happening in box office record breaking numbers and manner in the 85 to 149 million settings.

" Elektra" was a superhero and a female lead role, but it was a box office bomb, .. Halle Berry was a comic book character but was a huge part of one of the
most dreadful comic book movie bust of all time with Catwoman,..
There are several female lead action franchises and countless female lead movies. The point is, that the public are accepting and have been for quite some time. It may not be to the current box office levels that we have been seeing with the Marvel movies, but I dare say that even those movies hit those numbers in no small part to Disney's massive marketing machine.

The "formula" is still the same, make a movie with an interesting story and characters and people will go to watch.

quickccc

Reaction score
There are several female lead action franchises and countless female lead movies. The point is, that the public are accepting and have been for quite some time. It may not be to the current box office levels that we have been seeing with the Marvel movies, but I dare say that even those movies hit those numbers in no small part to Disney's massive marketing machine.

The "formula" is still the same, make a movie with an interesting story and characters and people will go to watch.

i'm hearing your point, while mine is how just a very few in very recent years, the Superhero mania trend in films have double the interest and emphasis in female stand alone lead role films
We're obviously are seeing points differently and maybe thinking opposites.

- Rey is a female lead role, but when you think of Star Wars, you're not thinking of a stand alone film, it's a collective. It's the CGI battle ships, creature features, ongoing Death Star plots
the whole galactic universe etc.

- Selene is a female lead role, but you think of Underworld, the first and primary thing that comes to mind is the vampires and werewolves, its' not a stand alone role.

- Ditto with Resident Evil, what comes to mind, when Resident Evil is thought of ? its the zombie and mutate (which i hated the addition) effects.

- People are going to see Aliens because of the brilliantly created menacing breeds that have corrosive acid for blood, Sigourney Weaver lead role (especially Aliens) just adds to it.

- Wonder Woman, Black Widow, Captain Marvel .. imo, those are stand alone lead female roles, with having record setting smash success,

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You put "Aeon Flux" in there, which is fair, it was a clunker, but what about "The Old Guard". Not a theatrical release, but well received and it was a female lead, leading a group of superheroes.

Source

Much better example for sure but I was originally shooting for action films that were "firsts" for their leading role actresses or film titles suggested (for example the movie Hanna instead of the series).

Love TOG and dislike how long it is taking to get a part two (if that ever happens) but I am not certain I would characterize the immortals as superheroes. Then again, they could definitely give Logan a run for his money--if they all ganged up on him as a group that is. :muttley:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm shocked Prey got such high marks. As bad*** as the Predator has proven to be, against much more worthy opponents, IMO, the movie just makes no sense to me...unless this particular Predator was an inferior representative of the species.
I have not got around to watching the movie yet, so I cannot give my opinion yet. However, my personal expectation would still be extremely high for any Predator. Just a wild guess on my part but I would think even an very mature (not old necessarily), short in height, and "less muscular" hunter would still be more than a match for any human under normal circumstances. The one thing I am sure all Predators share in common is (channeling Arnold) that they are all ugly <expletives>. :laugh:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i'm hearing your point, while mine is how just a very few in very recent years, the Superhero mania trend in films have double the interest and emphasis in female stand alone lead role films
We're obviously are seeing points differently and maybe thinking opposites.

- Rey is a female lead role, but when you think of Star Wars, you're not thinking of a stand alone film, it's a collective. It's the CGI battle ships, creature features, ongoing Death Star plots
the whole galactic universe etc.

- Selene is a female lead role, but you think of Underworld, the first and primary thing that comes to mind is the vampires and werewolves, its' not a stand alone role.

- Ditto with Resident Evil, what comes to mind, when Resident Evil is thought of ? its the zombie and mutate (which i hated the addition) effects.

- People are going to see Aliens because of the brilliantly created menacing breeds that have corrosive acid for blood, Sigourney Weaver lead role (especially Aliens) just adds to it.

- Wonder Woman, Black Widow, Captain Marvel .. imo, those are stand alone lead female roles, with having record setting smash success,
You make a very good point but I would not diminish proper casting as an necessary element of any movie, regardless if it is leading actor or actress led film. Loved Tatiana Maslany from Orphan Black. She auditioned for Rey. I knew diddly squat about Daisy Ridley. In hindsight, I can picture Maslany as Jedi and not be as entertained as I was watching Ridley.

Yep. Honestly, vampires and werewolves made me buy tickets for Underworld. That is an easy confession but wait. What made me buy tickets for Underworld: Evolution, Underworld: Awakening, Underworld: Blood Wars but NOT Underworld: Rise of the Lycans? Answer: Kate Beckinsale.

I have not watched all of the Resident Evil movies. The ones I did watch were solely because of Milla Jovovich, who I became a fan of watching The Fifth Element. It should be noted, for those who have not read me say it before, that I am a horror movie fan. That is the one genre the RE movies, even though they are action and science fiction based also, that would be their only hook for enticing me to shell out cash to see them.

The horror genre and James Cameron and Sigourney Weaver made Aliens a must see for me. Seriously. The sequel for Ridley Scott's Alien? The classic before its subsequent classic? YES. The alien is one of horror's best conceived monsters of all-time but was the acting in the original film simply overlooked?

John Skeritt
Harry Dean Stanton
John "I got an alien popping out my chest!" Hurt
Yaphet Kotto
Veronica Cartwright
Ian Holm

All solid, extremely memorable performances. And Weaver's was the best of the bunch. I mean. C'mon. The sequence where Ridley abandons the Sulaco? That is all Weaver. The "eternity" of sheer terror and triumph over the alien in the escape pod? All Weaver.

Then factor in James "I'll be back" Cameron taking a shot at the franchise after The Terminator. TER-MI-NA-TOR. "Listen, and understand! That Terminator is out there! It can't be bargained with! It can't be reasoned with! It doesn't feel pity! Or remorse! Or fear! And it absolutely WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ARE DEAD!"

Yeah. That guy. There was a 100% certainty I would be planting my tuchus in a theater for Aliens on opening day. Not for the creatures but for Weaver acting and Cameron's freaking vision that I needed to see might be duplicated in a totally different film.

Perhaps what attracts me to movies is different from the majority. I am cool with it if true but I would be surprised if there is not a minority of likeminded moviegoers in the world. Wonder Woman? Yeah. I did not know much about Gal Gadot. And her appearance in Batman v Superman drove me wanting to see her solo film also.

Black Widow?
Not nearly as strongly. I was extremely eager to see Black Widow for the exact same reason I made Lucy a must see. Reason: Scarlet Johansson.

Captain Marvel?
That was a toss up. The MCU phases were definitely contributing factors for my interest but I was a fan of the character when he was both a male and an alien decades ago. I was more familiar with Brie Larson's career than Gadot's when casting was announced, so my interest was admittedly shaky before seeing my first trailer. My uneasiness disappeared afterwards for the most part. I have not been disappointed in Larson winning the role and must believe that she was an important consideration in bringing back REPEAT moviegoers because that is always the reason for mega box office revenue.

Then again, maybe that is not the reason folks kept coming back and spending more money. Perhaps enormous movie traffic is superficially about fantastical space ships and people wearing great alien races makeup and cats that look cute and fuzzy but will swallow you whole. I don't know... :laugh: