Comics and Movies

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
To be frank, I think it would be necessary in defining who those 'nerds and nerd kings' are (thanks @Runwildboys :rolleyes::D ). On one hand, there are those who have bought books, watched cartoons and been greatly entertained by these live action adaptations. On the other hand, there are those who have a real vested interest in the makeup and backgrounds of the characters themselves.

If all the nerds are counted together, I might agree with a 50/50 prediction. The nerds who:
  • want to see how Marvel/Disney adapts a representation of an ionic energy being (pretty unique in nature especially considering he is not a mutant)
  • has the duality of villain AND hero, who has walked a sordid fairly rich past on both sides of 'good and evil'
--those folks will comprise the bulk of Disney+ subscribers who will watch every episode, even if total viewership will be lower than Disney expects.
The nerds are going to watch everything Marvel related on Disney+, but there's a difference between that and something being "highly anticipated". Maybe it needs more qualifiers like "highly anticipated amongst many of the Nerd Kings"........ and they know who they are. :muttley:

a8d1e36985a6fd90cdf5055a997d1691a803433cv2_hq.jpg

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Justin Theroux Joins Michael Keaton In ‘Beetlejuice’ Sequel At Warner Bros

By Justin Kroll | Deadline
May 9, 2023

EXCLUSIVE: Justin Theroux is latest new addition to the ensemble of Warner Bros’ Beetlejuice sequel that has Tim Burton directing and Michael Keaton set to reprise his iconic character. Winona Ryder is also set to reprise her role from the original 1988 supernatural comedy, with Jenna Ortega set to play Ryder’s daughter in the new pic.

Not much is known about the sequel except that the titular ghost will return to cause more antics. Details about who Theroux is playing are also under wraps. Warner Bros just dated the pic for September 6, 2024, with production set to start Wednesday in the UK.

Burton is also producing along with Tommy Harper, Plan B, Marc Toberoff and David Geffen, with Alfred Gough and Miles Millar penning the most recent draft.

Read more

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

May 9, 2023

EXCLUSIVE: Justin Theroux is latest new addition to the ensemble of Warner Bros’ Beetlejuice sequel that has Tim Burton directing and Michael Keaton set to reprise his iconic character. Winona Ryder is also set to reprise her role from the original 1988 supernatural comedy, with Jenna Ortega set to play Ryder’s daughter in the new pic.

Not much is known about the sequel except that the titular ghost will return to cause more antics. Details about who Theroux is playing are also under wraps. Warner Bros just dated the pic for September 6, 2024, with production set to start Wednesday in the UK.

Burton is also producing along with Tommy Harper, Plan B, Marc Toberoff and David Geffen, with Alfred Gough and Miles Millar penning the most recent draft.

Read more
That’s great news! I’ve been a fan for a long time and it’s great to hear they’re finally moving forward on a sequel. Now we just hope it’s good!

But I’ll feel better when there’s confirmation of the cameras rolling with Michael Keaton out there.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

May 9, 2023

Read more
One thing about the original is the terrible special effects. That should be a huge improvement this time around, but I hope it doesn't end up being the main focus.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

That was an awful interview. There was very little agreement on anything at all. I also didn't like the cutaways. Watch a TNG interview and you'll see pretty much everyone remembering and laughing about each anecdote...and I don't think you'll see anyone making fun of someone who didn't make the cast.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was an awful interview. There was very little agreement on anything at all. I also didn't like the cutaways. Watch a TNG interview and you'll see pretty much everyone remembering and laughing about each anecdote...and I don't think you'll see anyone making fun of someone who didn't make the cast.
There are usually lulls like those in most all-cast members type settings. Most get-together videos are edited to just the good banter segments. I do agree that the editing was bad within that lull though.

Genevieve Bujold jokes are old. Most shows, whether they are Star Trek or something else, do not have casting disasters like hers. It was a two-fold problem. First, Bujold took the role blindly without any thought whatsoever.

Second, the casting director (and likely Rick Berman also) went full-on 'big name' recognition to fill the center chair of the series that would launch the UPN network. Decades before, Bujold had gotten Oscar and Emmy nods for a handful of roles. I knew her work best playing in Coma.

Nothing she had done screamed to me as fictional starship captain material. Her previous roles were not 'stern' in nature, commanding the attention and respect of those around her. Plus, everything she had done (or what I had seen up to that point) highlighted English as a SOLID second language that she did not commonly use.

I can see why the joking appears misplaced and perhaps even malicious but they are actually making fun of the entire screw up. Maybe Kate Mulgrew was not even considered for the role but there were better actresses, even unknown ones, who would have been smart alternatives for Bujold. Sometimes, name should not supersede proper evaluation.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Wheel of Time Confirms Meera Syal Plays Verin in Season 2

By Mira Jacobs | CBR
May 12, 2023

Meera Syal, who has long been confirmed for the cast of The Wheel of Time Season 2 in a mystery role, is now known to be playing Verin Sedai.

The news about Syal's part was shared by Nerdist on Friday, May 12, in a post which was retweeted by the official Twitter for The Wheel of Time. Syal's casting for a recurring role was first revealed in October 2021, during The Wheel of Time's panel at New York Comic Con. At the time, the announcement came along with that for Ceara Coveney and Natasha O'Keeffe; Coveney was immediately revealed to have a lead role as Elayne Trakand, but O'Keeffe's character has not yet been unveiled.

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

'Heroes' Was the Right TV Show at the Wrong Time

By Jack Coleman | Collider
May 12, 2023

It’s 2006. The modern superhero scene is still in its infancy, and it’ll be two years before Iron Man and The Dark Knight release and signal the change of the genre into a global phenomenon. The last two Marvel movies were the middlingly received Fantastic Four and the widely hated X-Men: The Last Stand. Into this ecosystem, a new superhero show comes out from NBC, aptly named, Heroes. The show is not only good, it’s exceptional, so good that it might join the ranks of Lost in the early days of the “golden age of prestige TV”.

Flash forward to the present day, superhero media has become the dominant cultural juggernaut; while Marvel had once been lucky to get one movie a year, in 2022 they managed three – and that’s not even counting the numerous shows and specials. Heroes, however, is not remembered fondly, the show synonymous with high hopes and low returns, of an excellent series brought so low that fans were almost glad when it was eventually canceled. This fate begs two main questions: what happened to such a promising show to bring it so low? And more intriguingly, could that fate have been avoided had it been released in the modern superhero landscape?

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why a Focus On Profits Killed the CW, and Why It Matters
By Josh Speer | The Workprint
May 12, 2023

I’ve probably said this before, but it bears repeating: We live in challenging times. Generally I can see the brighter side of things and soften my own darkness with hopeful optimism. But when weighed against all the forces that encroach on us, such as the rise of autocracy, environmental collapse, and a media landscape that’s not only changing, but actively poisoned by the threat of AI, it can be more than a little difficult to stay positive. What usually helps are stories. They let me keep perspective, as well as occasionally widening it. One amazing source of such enrichment used to be the CW. And as of today, it’s fair to say the CW is, for all intents and purposes, a walking corpse.

First, a little backstory. I’ve been watching the CW since it was actually called the WB. At first, that was thanks to a certain vampire slayer and her moody vampire boyfriend, but later I kept watching for shows like Supernatural and Smallville. Back then, they were doing their best to make interesting fiction, but they lacked any sort of organization. And then Arrow came along. While that show’s hero was more Bruce Wayne than Oliver Queen, it was still compelling television, at least for a few seasons. Then CW had a brilliant idea: To make a universe of comic shows.

We got Flash, Supergirl, Batwoman and my personal favorite, the Legends of Tomorrow. Suddenly, the crossovers from my comic books were happening in real time on my TV screen. It was glorious! Sure, the storytelling wasn’t perfect, and occasionally cast members left abruptly, but as a fan of both comics and television, I had found my happy place. Even when DC movies were regularly failing miserably, the CW was a safe harbor to unwind with some iconic heroes. And then new CEO David Zaslav came along. CW’s parent company, WarnerMedia, merged with Discovery, and all of a sudden the cancellations started happening. At first, it was new shows like Batwoman. Then it was Kung ** and The Winchesters, and now it’s pretty much everything other than sports drama All American and Walker.

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HBO Max's Titans ended its series run at 49 episodes this week. This fourth season was somewhat lame but the series finale kind of made up for it. For what it's worth, the conclusion was a good endcap for the show.

nobody

Reaction score

'Heroes' Was the Right TV Show at the Wrong Time

By Jack Coleman | Collider
May 12, 2023

It’s 2006. The modern superhero scene is still in its infancy, and it’ll be two years before Iron Man and The Dark Knight release and signal the change of the genre into a global phenomenon. The last two Marvel movies were the middlingly received Fantastic Four and the widely hated X-Men: The Last Stand. Into this ecosystem, a new superhero show comes out from NBC, aptly named, Heroes. The show is not only good, it’s exceptional, so good that it might join the ranks of Lost in the early days of the “golden age of prestige TV”.

Flash forward to the present day, superhero media has become the dominant cultural juggernaut; while Marvel had once been lucky to get one movie a year, in 2022 they managed three – and that’s not even counting the numerous shows and specials. Heroes, however, is not remembered fondly, the show synonymous with high hopes and low returns, of an excellent series brought so low that fans were almost glad when it was eventually canceled. This fate begs two main questions: what happened to such a promising show to bring it so low? And more intriguingly, could that fate have been avoided had it been released in the modern superhero landscape?

Read more
The writer's strike is what killed Heroes. They didn't keep the season 1 writers either I don't think.... those two things led to its fall

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At first, I was what the... Then I read the article and it makes perfect sense. That said, I wonder if Marvel Comics will convert more Inhumans into mutants? An alternate universe version of Black Bolt appeared in the last Doctor Strange movie. Will an Earth-616 version of him pop up as a mutant? Or Medusa? Or Crystal? >Mind racing>.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score