Commanders | B. Lloyd lands contract extension

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
So one game means he will do that everytime?

No.

My point is, Llyod isn't the scrub everyone here makes him out to be....he was a solid free agent acquisition by the Skins.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Vintage said:
And what difference does it make if the Skins "overpay" him by your standards?

They always avoid cap hell.

They always manage around it.

Meaning, they can afford to "overpay" and still come out good.

It doesn't make any difference to me, but I tell you what.... I can make fun of em all I want to. It doesn't make me any difference to me that you throw you money down the toilet paying for your membership at RR, but I reserve the right to laugh and point at you for it.

And if you mean "come out good," as in "winning Super Bowls," when have any of their FA spending sprees led to Super Bowl wins??

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Vintage said:
No.

My point is, Llyod isn't the scrub everyone here makes him out to be....he was a solid free agent acquisition by the Skins.

That one game does not overide his entire career which has been substandard

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Vintage said:
And that scrub torched us last year.......with whatshisname at QB.

and Crayton has torched alot of teams ......... Is he more than a 3rd reciever?

videre

Reaction score
Okay, once more with feeling:

Did we overpay for our acquisitions this year? Yes, we almost always do. Does that make their impact on the team, the hole they fill or their talent any lesser? No. I don't see how this is such a hard concept for some people.

That being said, Lloyd is a bit a mystery for us. He could be something big or he could just be a mediocre #2 receiver. We'll find out soon enough.

sacase

Reaction score
Vintage said:
And what difference does it make if the Skins "overpay" him by your standards?

They always avoid cap hell.

They always manage around it.

Meaning, they can afford to "overpay" and still come out good.

That's like Bill Gates Paying $100 for a Hershey bar.....It tastes really good, one of the best candy bars out there in fact.....The question is.....Why pay that much if you don't have to?

So if we go out and sign Eddie George to a 30 million dollar contract, don't you think skins fans would laugh their collective bottoms off? :bang2:

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Agreed ...... Its like you picked up a bunch of Craytons ....

They all have talent

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
It doesn't make any difference to me, but I tell you what.... I can make fun of em all I want to. It doesn't make me any difference to me that you throw you money down the toilet paying for your membership at RR, but I reserve the right to laugh and point at you for it.

And if you mean "come out good," as in "winning Super Bowls," when have any of their FA spending sprees led to Super Bowl wins??

First of all, the first half of your post is irrelevant to the thread.

But I will address it nonetheless. How I spend my money is of my concern. I spent the money on the RR for two reasons, to read their material and to support their site. I also am a supporting member of a particular basketball forum site where I receive no benefit other than getting to choose an avatar of my own. But I do it anyway, because I wish to support the sites I participate in. Secondly, for a college student, my financial situation is stable. I intern in the summer and my parents give me money as well. I am not sweating over $100.

Lastly, to the rest of the post, what has our free agent signings led us too? Henry? Ferguson? Bledsoe? I mean, if you want to call it like it is, we haven't won a playoff game in 10 years. Ferguson, Bledsoe, Henry, Glenn- our major FA signees last year led us to what? A non playoff appearance? Was that money well spent?

The Commanders had need at WR opposite Moss. They addressed that with Lloyd and Randle El. Not to mention, Patten is coming back from injury.

They fared pretty well.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
zrinkill said:
and Crayton has torched alot of teams ......... Is he more than a 3rd reciever?

That, I cannot answer at this time. Its too early to tell. I think he has the makings of being a potential #2. Whether or not he reaches that is another thing.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
videre said:
Okay, once more with feeling:

Did we overpay for our acquisitions this year? Yes, we almost always do. Does that make their impact on the team, the hole they fill or their talent any lesser? No. I don't see how this is such a hard concept for some people.

That being said, Lloyd is a bit a mystery for us. He could be something big or he could just be a mediocre #2 receiver. We'll find out soon enough.

The difference is, when you sign people, your contracts are backloaded, and the players never reach the end of them. They either get restructured or get cut.

videre

Reaction score
Vintage said:
The difference is, when you sign people, your contracts are backloaded, and the players never reach the end of them. They either get restructured or get cut.

I know, believe me. Commanders fans have known that for a while, just took the media forever to get the point. The thing is... it seems to work for us. Danny-Dan is a bit of a wacko, but he knows money so... eh.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
videre said:
I know, believe me. Commanders fans have known that for a while, just took the media forever to get the point. The thing is... it seems to work for us. Danny-Dan is a bit of a wacko, but he knows money so... eh.

I know it works.

You were supposed to burn in cap hell five years ago.

Instead, you continually sign players.

I gave up on the idea of you guys getting burnt by this. It seemingly works every year. But with all of your free agent acquisitions have led you to one more playoff win than us.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Vintage said:
First of all, the first half of your post is irrelevant to the thread.

But I will address it nonetheless. How I spend my money is of my concern. I spent the money on the RR for two reasons, to read their material and to support their site. I also am a supporting member of a particular basketball forum site where I receive no benefit other than getting to choose an avatar of my own. But I do it anyway, because I wish to support the sites I participate in. Secondly, for a college student, my financial situation is stable. I intern in the summer and my parents give me money as well. I am not sweating over $100.

Lastly, to the rest of the post, what has our free agent signings led us too? Henry? Ferguson? Bledsoe? I mean, if you want to call it like it is, we haven't won a playoff game in 10 years. Ferguson, Bledsoe, Henry, Glenn- our major FA signees last year led us to what? A non playoff appearance? Was that money well spent?

The Commanders had need at WR opposite Moss. They addressed that with Lloyd and Randle El. Not to mention, Patten is coming back from injury.

They fared pretty well.

How is it irrelevant to the thread??? Go back and read the first ten posts poking fun at how much they may have spent on a #3 WR. The terms of their contracts they give out are public knowledge and subject to public scrutiny. That plus the First Amendment allows me to comment on it. I just call em like I see em. As for the relevance to your financial situation, it's just an analogy. You told us you're a paying member over at RR, it's public knowledge. I could really care less about your financial situation. If Bill Gates paid for that site, I could still have the opinion that he paid for something you can get for free, and could question his judgment on it.

As for the free agents that Cowboys have signed, the whole point isn't that we haven't won the Super Bowl, it's that we haven't overpaid nearly as drastically as Danny Boy has. It may end up being money well spent, on either side, but it hasn't yet. Your original statement was that overpaying for their free agents has paid off. I can't see how it's paid off. I can only see their big spending as a bust. Yeah that may change, but as of now it hasn't.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
How is it irrelevant to the thread??? Go back and read the first ten posts poking fun at how much they may have spent on a #3 WR. The terms of their contracts they give out are public knowledge and subject to public scrutiny. That plus the First Amendment allows me to comment on it. I just call em like I see em. As for the relevance to your financial situation, it's just an analogy. You told us you're a paying member over at RR, it's public knowledge. I could really care less about your financial situation. If Bill Gates paid for that site, I could still have the opinion that he paid for something you can get for free, and could question his judgment on it.

As for the free agents that Cowboys have signed, the whole point isn't that we haven't won the Super Bowl, it's that we haven't overpaid nearly as drastically as Danny Boy has. It may end up being money well spent, on either side, but it hasn't yet. Your original statement was that overpaying for their free agents has paid off. I can't see how it's paid off. I can only see their big spending as a bust. Yeah that may change, but as of now it hasn't.

How is their spending a bust? In the past, it has been.

But let's take a look.

They traded for Moss, and gave him a big contract. Do you think that worked out well for them?

How about the addition of Shawn Springs? Has that worked for them?

Brunell? He may not be all-world, but he is not a scrub. A solid QB.

Marcus Washington? Would you say he has worked out?

They needed WR help. They went out and got Randle-El, Lloyd, and have Patten returning.

They needed a S opposite Taylor. They brought in Archuleta.

They need a pass rush. They brought in Andre Carter.

They've done A LOT better recently compared to what they used to do.

My point is simple; they players they have paid for recently (Washington, Springs, Portis, Brunell, Moss) have all done moderately well to great.

You countered with "what have they done?" I just told you. They have transformed Washington from bottom dweller to second round of the playoffs.

videre

Reaction score
Vintage said:
I know it works.

You were supposed to burn in cap hell five years ago.

Instead, you continually sign players.

I gave up on the idea of you guys getting burnt by this. It seemingly works every year. But with all of your free agent acquisitions have led you to one more playoff win than us.

Yep, it's actually really funny at this point. Around February the Chicken Little "The cap is falling, the cap is falling!" starts every year. At this point it's just funny. Some people said we'd be fielding 15 rookies this year. :laugh2: CBA helped and everything, but that is just ridiculous.

And yeah, the system seems to be leveling out and working a bit better now. After all the disasters (Primetime and what not... that was just awful.) it finally seems to have found a groove. Nothing is for sure though, so we'll see.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Vintage said:

And do you think this is a good way to do business?? Sign a player to a contract knowing full well that he will never see half of that money... I say it's misleading. Yes they probably have their agents there explaining to them that they'll never see half the money, but still. If I were a player, I would just want the ownership to be straightforward and negotiate truthfully. I think eventually when players see this pattern, the Commanders will be at a disadvantage when negotiating with Free Agents.

That is, unless the players are just looking for one big payday. Actually that makes more sense... just thinking out loud here. The players probably kow theyll never get to see the all that money, so they take the one big payday. Then that's why the Commanders Free Agents are flops. There's no real threat of losing money. They've already got it. They know that no matter how well they perform, they're going to be cut or asked to restructure. So why go all out? This makes more sense, and explains why the Commanders can sign all these big name players for big money, then flop in the season.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Lots of ridicule to the RS receivers, in my opinion, unfounded. Seems to me that they with their offensive scheme which involves short throws and relying on YAC, something that Lloyd and Randle El excel at, and an occasional deep pass, something that Moss and Lloyd can both do, they have the best all around WR core in the east. Yes, I know we have TO, who is the best individual receiver, and Glenn, which really rounds us out....but covering Moss, Lloyd and Randle El is NO picnic.

The only advantage we have is they are all small WRs.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Vintage said:
How is their spending a bust? In the past, it has been.

But let's take a look.

They traded for Moss, and gave him a big contract. Do you think that worked out well for them?

How about the addition of Shawn Springs? Has that worked for them?

Brunell? He may not be all-world, but he is not a scrub. A solid QB.

Marcus Washington? Would you say he has worked out?

They needed WR help. They went out and got Randle-El, Lloyd, and have Patten returning.

They needed a S opposite Taylor. They brought in Archuleta.

They need a pass rush. They brought in Andre Carter.

They've done A LOT better recently compared to what they used to do.

My point is simple; they players they have paid for recently (Washington, Springs, Portis, Brunell, Moss) have all done moderately well to great.

You countered with "what have they done?" I just told you. They have transformed Washington from bottom dweller to second round of the playoffs.

OKay Moss and Washington have been good signings... out of how many Free Agents since Danny Boy took over?? Remember Deion, Bruce Smith, all those big name, big money contracts. How else do you explain everyone falling all over the Skins signings only to have how many playoff wins since?? 2??

You can't say anything about this year's signings. They haven't stepped on the field yet. Brunell they didn't pay big money for. He was on the street looking for a job. Portis they got in a trade, come to think of it Moss too. Springs is a good #2 CB, but he's the #1 CB. Hardly a GREAT signing. He's old too.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
And do you think this is a good way to do business?? Sign a player to a contract knowing full well that he will never see half of that money... I say it's misleading. Yes they probably have their agents there explaining to them that they'll never see half the money, but still. If I were a player, I would just want the ownership to be straightforward and negotiate truthfully. I think eventually when players see this pattern, the Commanders will be at a disadvantage when negotiating with Free Agents.

That is, unless the players are just looking for one big payday. Actually that makes more sense... just thinking out loud here. The players probably kow theyll never get to see the all that money, so they take the one big payday. Then that's why the Commanders Free Agents are flops. There's no real threat of losing money. They've already got it. They know that no matter how well they perform, they're going to be cut or asked to restructure. So why go all out? This makes more sense, and explains why the Commanders can sign all these big name players for big money, then flop in the season.

You'd think players wouldn't sign with the Commanders then, wouldn't you? I mean, given their propensity to either cut/restructure contracts.

Maybe they know ahead of time when they sign on the dotted line that they won't see the back end. They have to know; or they are stupid.

Maybe, just maybe, they want to be Commanders.