Commanders | B. Lloyd lands contract extension

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
OKay Moss and Washington have been good signings... out of how many Free Agents since Danny Boy took over?? Remember Deion, Bruce Smith, all those big name, big money contracts. How else do you explain everyone falling all over the Skins signings only to have how many playoff wins since?? 2??

And again, to reiterate, I said they've done better RECENTLY. By comparison, those two playoff wins......are two more than us in the same period of time. So, if you want to criticise their signing by their failure to advance in the playoffs, then you must do so to us. Of course, that would require taken off the rose-colored glasses for a second or two.

You can't say anything about this year's signings. They haven't stepped on the field yet. Brunell they didn't pay big money for. He was on the street looking for a job. Portis they got in a trade, come to think of it Moss too. Springs is a good #2 CB, but he's the #1 CB. Hardly a GREAT signing. He's old too.

Moss, they traded for, then gave him a new contract IIRC. So I included that, because a great deal of cash was moved. Same for Portis. Springs may be a #2 CB, but he is still good. And he fits their scheme. Their defense was pretty good with a #2 CB and no true #1 CB. Their pass defense was 10th last year.

Springs is only 1.5 years older than Henry. If he's old, so is Henry.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Vintage said:
You'd think players wouldn't sign with the Commanders then, wouldn't you? I mean, given their propensity to either cut/restructure contracts.

Maybe they know ahead of time when they sign on the dotted line that they won't see the back end. They have to know; or they are stupid.

Maybe, just maybe, they want to be Commanders.

:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

Wait.....

videre

Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
OKay Moss and Washington have been good signings... out of how many Free Agents since Danny Boy took over?? Remember Deion, Bruce Smith, all those big name, big money contracts. How else do you explain everyone falling all over the Skins signings only to have how many playoff wins since?? 2??

You can't say anything about this year's signings. They haven't stepped on the field yet. Brunell they didn't pay big money for. He was on the street looking for a job. Portis they got in a trade, come to think of it Moss too. Springs is a good #2 CB, but he's the #1 CB. Hardly a GREAT signing. He's old too.

Do you notice something though? The signings that you said have gone well, Moss and Washington, are recent... the admittedly disastrous ones are not. Those were awful moves, no doubt, and a Skins fan will be the first to tell you that. There is a big difference though... the players we are signing now aren't old washed-up vets, they are young players that can be developed and used for long periods of time. Gibbs is not the incompetent coach that got Neon Deion, or Smith.

And Springs is old, but he is doing just fine at #1 CB. It was nothing fabulous, but it is a solid signing.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Vintage said:
And again, to reiterate, I said they've done better RECENTLY. By comparison, those two playoff wins......are two more than us in the same period of time. So, if you want to criticise their signing by their failure to advance in the playoffs, then you must do so to us. Of course, that would require taken off the rose-colored glasses for a second or two.

Please try to stay on topic. The point is they're OVERSPENDING!!! And where has it gotten them. Not much farther than us right?

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
videre said:
Do you notice something though? The signings that you said have gone well, Moss and Washington, are recent... the admittedly disastrous ones are not. Those were awful moves, no doubt, and a Skins fan will be the first to tell you that. There is a big difference though... the players we are signing now aren't old washed-up vets, they are young players that can be developed and used for long periods of time. Gibbs is not the incompetent coach that got Neon Deion, or Smith.

And Springs is old, but he is doing just fine at #1 CB. It was nothing fabulous, but it is a solid signing.

Brunell and Springs?? :laugh1: :laugh1:

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:

If Springs is old, then so is Henry.

If Brunell is old, so is Brunell.

:laugh2::laugh2:

I cannot believe I am siding with a Skins fan on this issue.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:

Wait.....

What's even more hilarious is your posts.

You don't think Carter, Archuleta, Randle El won't see the back end of their deals? I mean, the Commanders play the same cap games EVERY year. You don't think players around the league know this?

And yet, they continue to sign there.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Vintage said:

Good lord... I didn't SAY Henry wasn't old did I. I just wasn't the one making a ridiculous statement that they're signing young players who will be in the system a long time. Henry's our #2 CB though, slight difference.

And yes if Brunell is old, Brunell is old. Thanks for clearing that up.

videre

Reaction score
peplaw06 said:

Ah yes, but still useful to us. Plus, behind both players we have rookies learning their positions (though CB depth isn't great) in plenty of time to take over when they to fail.

And across from those two in the young column: Moss, Lloyd, Randle El, Washington, Arch, Carter...

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Vintage said:

You don't think Carter, Archuleta, Randle El won't see the back end of their deals? I mean, the Commanders play the same cap games EVERY year. You don't think players around the league know this?

What are you talking about?? I told you why they sign there. Why don't you read my whole post instead of reading one line and commenting? Pop in another ritalin and finish what I type.

Here I'll save you the time. They sign there because they want the big payday.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
What are you talking about?? I told you why they sign there. Why don't you read my whole post instead of reading one line and commenting? Pop in another ritalin and finish what I type.

Here I'll save you the time. They sign there because they want the big payday.

That they don't get....because their contracts get restructured, or they get cut. The only big payday they get is their signing bonus. Otherwise, the players the Commanders sign, in terms of salary and how long they keep them before restructuring/cutting them is on par with the rest of the league.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
Good lord... I didn't SAY Henry wasn't old did I. I just wasn't the one making a ridiculous statement that they're signing young players who will be in the system a long time. Henry's our #2 CB though, slight difference.

And yes if Brunell is old, Brunell is old. Thanks for clearing that up.

I meant Bledsoe.

Point is, they are trying to win now, with Brunell and Springs...but they also have a developing corner in Rogers. And youth in their other free agent signings/trades such as Lloyd, Portis, Moss, Washington, etc.

Carter and Archuleta are in their primes and will be around for 4-5 years or so.

--------

Just like how we brought in vets like Bledsoe, Richie Anderson, Terry Glenn, Aaron Glenn, Marcus Coleman, Jason Ferguson, Jason Fabini, and Terrell Owens.

Youth in Kosier, Akin.

Entering prime players such as Henry.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Vintage said:

Springs is 2 years older than Henry bad example

But your right brunell is old

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Vintage said:
That they don't get....because their contracts get restructured, or they get cut. The only big payday they get is their signing bonus. Otherwise, the players the Commanders sign, in terms of salary and how long they keep them before restructuring/cutting them is on par with the rest of the league.

Once again you deserve:clap: :clap:

Why do you think their signing bonuses are so bloated??

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Vintage said:

They sign there for the bonus money and because they KNOW they wont see the back end of the deal

Say you are 26 what do your prefer 8 mill bonus on a regular 6 year deal with even salaries

or 11 mill bonus on a deal that explodes in 3 years and will have to be worked out to give you more bonus money or a release where you get a new deal?

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Springs is 2 years older than Henry bad example

But your right brunell is old

However, Springs has more speed than Henry and can afford to lose a step more so than Henry can.

Henry is turning 30 this year, on the downward path of his career.

I am not knocking Henry as much as I am pointing out that Springs was a good signing then for them, and still is.

Same applies to Henry for us.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Vintage said:
However, Springs has more speed than Henry and can afford to lose a step more so than Henry can.

I am not knocking Henry as much as I am pointing out that Springs was a good signing then for them, and still is.

What evidence do you have that Henry is on the downward path of his career?? Because he hit 30?

All I know is he covers better than Springs, hits harder and tackles better than Springs, is younger, and is our #2 CB.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Vintage said:

If Henry at 29 is on the downward spiral then is Spring who is 31 already on bottom?

As for speed I would say right now they are about even

I never said he was a bad signing just that your comparison was shoddy

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
What evidence do you have that Henry is on the downward path of his career?? Because he hit 30?

All I know is he covers better than Springs, hits harder and tackles better than Springs, is younger, and is our #2 CB.

Corners tend to spiral downward in their 30's.

I am not necessarily saying Henry WILL. I am saying, history suggests Henry is in his prime and will begin to tail off soon.

The ones who last longer, Darrell Green, Ty Law, Deion, etc are the ones who have more than enough speed so that when they lose a step, its not that big of a deal.

That was my point.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
what does brandon lloyd have to do with the cowboys?