Commanders | B. Lloyd lands contract extension

jrumann59

Reaction score
Lets see who has more football wear on their body Springs or Henry, henry is entering his what 5-6 year springs is entering his 9-10 yr that is a lot of wear and tear ona guy that has had durability issues, even though he can cover half the field

Gamebreaker

Benched
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
OKay Moss and Washington have been good signings... out of how many Free Agents since Danny Boy took over?? Remember Deion, Bruce Smith, all those big name, big money contracts. How else do you explain everyone falling all over the Skins signings only to have how many playoff wins since?? 2??

You can't say anything about this year's signings. They haven't stepped on the field yet. Brunell they didn't pay big money for. He was on the street looking for a job. Portis they got in a trade, come to think of it Moss too. Springs is a good #2 CB, but he's the #1 CB. Hardly a GREAT signing. He's old too.

Bruce Smith and Deion were six years ago. That was 3 head coaches and 5 defensive coordinators ago. The biggest problem with those signings is those players were over-the-hill, even though the did produce for the short while they were on the team. None of the signings Gibbs/Snyder have made this year, are for over-the-hill players.

Portis was acquired in a trade, but afterwards, the Skins gave him an extension that made him the highest paid RB at that time. It was worth it. Moss was acquired in a trade, and after the Skins gave him an extension, people were claiming the Skins overpaid again. This past season would say otherwise.

You must not have watched too many Skins games to say Springs is a good #2 corner. :laugh2: The only knock on him is his inability to stay healthy. As far as his coverage, he's been nearly perfect.

Gamebreaker

Benched
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
All I know is he covers better than Springs, hits harder and tackles better than Springs, is younger, and is our #2 CB.

:eek: Wow. :confused: How do you figure this? When has Springs been burnt so bad as a Commander to warrant this type of judgement? I mean, surely, he hasn't been beaten nearly as bad as your #2 CB was aganist LLoyd. :)

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Brunell was acquired through a trade. Not "on the street looking for a job".

Just needed to clear that up.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:
Bruce Smith and Deion were six years ago. That was 3 head coaches and 5 defensive coordinators ago. The biggest problem with those signings is those players were over-the-hill, even though the did produce for the short while they were on the team. None of the signings Gibbs/Snyder have made this year, are for over-the-hill players.

Portis was acquired in a trade, but afterwards, the Skins gave him an extension that made him the highest paid RB at that time. It was worth it. Moss was acquired in a trade, and after the Skins gave him an extension, people were claiming the Skins overpaid again. This past season would say otherwise.

You must not have watched too many Skins games to say Springs is a good #2 corner. :laugh2: The only knock on him is his inability to stay healthy. As far as his coverage, he's been nearly perfect.

3 head coaches, 5 defensive coordinators ago.... and ONE owner. There is a common thread, don't play like you're a completely different franchise. Danny Boy still likes the big splash signing.

And the point about Portis and Moss is, it's not a FA move. Trading and extending is different, because you gave up Champ Bailey, a #1 draft pick, and Laveraneus Coles. There was more cost that just contract figures.

You know the more I look at it, Moss still has something to prove. Let's put two solid years together in a row before we label him worth the money. And as for Portis, let's see him do the same, outside of Denver. What you Commanders fans are forgetting is all the breaks you got last year. Not saying these two won't be good again this year, but they may not be as unbelievably great as you all think.

You're right, I don't watch Commanders games, unless they're playing the Cowboys. But Springs had a drop off last year, you can't deny that. 5 picks the year before, dropped to 1.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:
:eek: Wow. :confused: How do you figure this? When has Springs been burnt so bad as a Commander to warrant this type of judgement? I mean, surely, he hasn't been beaten nearly as bad as your #2 CB was aganist LLoyd. :)

http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20041115-125211-5289r.htm

Shawn Springs and Fred Smoot, two of the Commanders' most reliable players on defense through the first half of the season, finally met their match yesterday. Each cornerback was burned early in the loss, helping pave the way for the Bengals to open a 17-0 lead.
Springs was schooled by Cincinnati wide receiver Chad Johnson for a 12-yard gain in the first quarter that set up Rudi Johnson's 1-yard touchdown run. Chad Johnson later beat Smoot for a 9-yard gain to the Cincinnati 3, setting up Carson Palmer's touchdown pass to tight end Tony Stewart.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Brunell was acquired through a trade. Not "on the street looking for a job".

Just needed to clear that up.

That's even worse... You had to give something up for him besides money?? What did you trade a first round pick for the neXt 8 years for him??

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Vintage said:
And what difference does it make if the Skins "overpay" him by your standards?

They always avoid cap hell.

They always manage around it.

Meaning, they can afford to "overpay" and still come out good.

I don't think the issue we have is how the skins are circumventing the cap again, it's what the hell has Brandon Lloyd shown that makes them want to pay him way above his market value? I just don't get it, what makes him worth a big-money deal?

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Peplaw06. You cant seriously be talking smack about Portis ? I mean ...really.

Settle down dude... All I'm saying is show me.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Vintage said:
Lastly, to the rest of the post, what has our free agent signings led us too? Henry? Ferguson? Bledsoe? I mean, if you want to call it like it is, we haven't won a playoff game in 10 years. Ferguson, Bledsoe, Henry, Glenn- our major FA signees last year led us to what? A non playoff appearance? Was that money well spent?

nice to point out the money we shelled out, but look at the individual contracts we gave them, all relative to their market value, maybe Rivera and Ferguson we overpaid, but we had to in order to lure them here, Lloyd is going to end up making more than Terry Glenn is, a 1,000 yard WR, it's ridiculous

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
That's even worse... You had to give something up for him besides money?? What did you trade a first round pick for the neXt 8 years for him??

Nevermind I found it...

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/WAS/7103883

Brunell had one year left on his contract including a substantial roster bonus due next month. The Jaguars were expected to cut him before paying the bonus, but the Commanders pre-empted the move by expressing interest in a trade.

The deal would become official once the offseason trading period begins March 3. The Commanders would give the Jaguars a third-round draft pick for Brunell, according to a source familiar with the negotiations who spoke on condition of anonymity.

So instead of getting him after he was cut... Danny Boy said what the hell, it's just a draft pick. We don't use those anyway

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Vintage said:
And again, to reiterate, I said they've done better RECENTLY. By comparison, those two playoff wins......are two more than us in the same period of time. So, if you want to criticise their signing by their failure to advance in the playoffs, then you must do so to us. Of course, that would require taken off the rose-colored glasses for a second or two.

actually the Skins made the playoffs last year keeping their core group together, and losing 2 important starters from a year ago, they didn't get to the playoffs by spending money, but yet Danny Boy goes back to his old ways of overpaying players, why? when last year's Commanders showed that they didn't need to spend money

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Vintage said:
However, Springs has more speed than Henry and can afford to lose a step more so than Henry can.

Henry is turning 30 this year, on the downward path of his career.

I am not knocking Henry as much as I am pointing out that Springs was a good signing then for them, and still is.

Same applies to Henry for us.

:jerk:

Henry isn't on the downward path of his career, seems he's very much in his prime

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
nice to point out the money we shelled out, but look at the individual contracts we gave them, all relative to their market value, maybe Rivera and Ferguson we overpaid, but we had to in order to lure them here, Lloyd is going to end up making more than Terry Glenn is, a 1,000 yard WR, it's ridiculous

OK. So its ok for US to overpay for Ferguson and Rivera to lure them here...

But when the Commanders do it to Archuleta....its bad.

Gotcha.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Vintage said:
Corners tend to spiral downward in their 30's.

the general rule may be that players in their 30's tend to spiral, but some are exceptions to the rule, and Henry has only been in the league for 5 years, instead of looking at age in determining the direction a player is headed in, maybe you should look at their play, and from that you would know that Henry actually played better than he ever had last year, and there's no reason he shouldn't be able to play at this level for another 3 or 4 years, hell, Aaron Glenn is capable of starting for most teams in the nFL, and he's 33

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
actually the Skins made the playoffs last year after keeping their corp group together, and losing 2 important starters from a year ago, they didn't get to the playoffs by spending money, but yet Danny Boy goes back to his old ways of overpaying players, why? when last year's Commanders showed that they didn't need to spend money

What? They had weaknesses at WR, S, and DE.

So....they should stand put instead of trying to upgrade?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Vintage said:
OK. So its ok for US to overpay for Ferguson and Rivera to lure them here...

But when the Commanders do it to Archuleta....its bad.

Gotcha.

Rivera came off 3 consecutive Pro Bowl appearances, and Ferg was thought to be one of the best NTs in the game, what exactly is on Archuleta's resume again? SHHHHHHHHHH

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Vintage said:

they should try to upgrade reasonably, although I dont' feel they overpaid for Andre Carter

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Vintage said:

Vintage, let it go. He will never get it.

It is like talking to a wall.