Commanders | Team deep at wide receiver

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Sun, 2 Jul 2006 17:52:24 -0700

Grant Paulsen, of the Free Lance-Star, reports now have a receiving team that is considered one of the NFL's elite. The only foreseeable problems might be keeping everybody happy and spreading the ball around. WR Santana Moss remains the go-to option. Starting opposite Moss as the team's second receiver likely will be Brandon Lloyd, acquired in a March trade with the San Francisco 49ers. Lloyd likely will run shorter patterns across the middle of the field, operating as the team's possession receiver. Lloyd's lining up across from a player who attracts as much attention as Moss should only help his development. As good as the starting duo is, it's Washington's reserves that make their receiving group one of the best. WRs David Patten and Antwaan Randle El give the team a solid combination of reserve wide receivers. With receivers as dangerous and proven as Washington's top four, there's little doubt the team's pass-catching ability will be on the rise in 2006.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Gryphon said:
Sun, 2 Jul 2006 17:52:24 -0700

Grant Paulsen, of the Free Lance-Star, reports now have a receiving team that is considered one of the NFL's elite. The only foreseeable problems might be keeping everybody happy and spreading the ball around. WR Santana Moss remains the go-to option. Starting opposite Moss as the team's second receiver likely will be Brandon Lloyd, acquired in a March trade with the San Francisco 49ers. Lloyd likely will run shorter patterns across the middle of the field, operating as the team's possession receiver. Lloyd's lining up across from a player who attracts as much attention as Moss should only help his development. As good as the starting duo is, it's Washington's reserves that make their receiving group one of the best. WRs David Patten and Antwaan Randle El give the team a solid combination of reserve wide receivers. With receivers as dangerous and proven as Washington's top four, there's little doubt the team's pass-catching ability will be on the rise in 2006.

they are deep but not as good a alot of other teams. Yes Moss demands double teams but neither Lloyd or El demand that kind of attention. they will be good, they will probably run a lot of 3 WR sets to take advantage of mis-matches in the secondary, but I can think of a few other teams better than them...including dallas.

superpunk

Reaction score
It's a dangerous unit, what can you say? Fortunately, we've got a group of corners that is every bit better than their group of WRs. If we can handle Portis, I don't see alot of problems.

ghst187

Reaction score
are they joking?
sure they'll be better, but better from crap may or may not mean a whole lot.
Last year it was Moss and.....crap, unless you count Cooley.
Lloyd is hit or miss, Randel El...good for 25 catches a year, Patten...whatever.

an elite corps....hardly....Moss is elite...after that, its about average to a shade above average.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
are they joking?
sure they'll be better, but better from crap may or may not mean a whole lot.
Last year it was Moss and.....crap, unless you count Cooley.
Lloyd is hit or miss, Randel El...good for 25 catches a year, Patten...whatever.

an elite corps....hardly....Moss is elite...after that, its about average to a shade above average.
I have more respect for WR corps that have 2 very dangerous options, rather than 1 dangerous option and 3 capable guys. That's all I see with Lloyd, Randle El, and Patten. I'd take a Randy Moss over all 3 of them. Team up Randy Moss with Santana Moss and grab 2 warm bodies and along with Chris Cooley, Clinton Portis, and that OL and suddenly I am very afraid of their passing game.

lspain1

Reaction score
I would think they would use some WR sets to try and create mismatches at the tight end/H back position. I'm not sure what they're doing this season, but didn't the Commanders use that to their advantage last season?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only problem with their WR's is the QB throwing the ball. Does the thought of Campbell heaving it to them really scare anyone? Not me. I think Brunell staying healthy is the key to their whole season.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
The only problem with their WR's is the QB throwing the ball. Does the thought of Campbell heaving it to them really scare anyone? Not me. I think Brunell staying healthy is the key to their whole season.
Agreed, and he has the OL in front of him that could keep him healthy.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
yeah. I must agree with this article. Commanders do have a stacked wide receiver core. They have one of the best wide receiver cores in the NFL behind the Dallas Cowboys.

Randle El -vs- Terry Glenn -vs- Roy Williams -vs.- Aquan Boldin = Terry Glenn
S. Moss- vs- Terrell Owens -vs- Charles Rogers -vs.- Larry Fitzgerald = T.O.
Givens- vs.- Patrick Crayton -vs.- Mike Williams -vs.- Bryant Johnson = PC
Thrash - vs. - Skyler Green -vs.- Corey Bradford - vs. - Laroy Mccoy = Bradford
Loyld - vs.- Miles Austin - vs. - Eddie Drummond-vs.- Carlyle Holiday = Loyld

*BONUS*

Chris Cooley -vs.- Jason Witten -vs.- Marcus Pollard -vs.- Eric Edwards = Jason Witten

So who have a better Wide Receiver Core? Dallas Cowboys

superpunk

Reaction score
ghst187 said:

Let's not get crazy. It's not an elite unit, by any means, but it's a good sight above average. I'd put it at least in the top 8, if I had to rank teams. Behind teams like Dallas, Indy, Cincinnati, maybe Oakland (Porter doesn't show up to play until the Raiders get eliminated, but the other guys are nice) but they're right below that group, I think.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
yeah. I must agree with this article. Commanders do have a stacked wide receiver core. They have one of the best wide receiver cores in the NFL behind the Dallas Cowboys.

Randle El -vs- Terry Glenn -vs- Roy Williams -vs.- Aquan Boldin = Terry Glenn
S. Moss- vs- Terrell Owens -vs- Charles Rogers -vs.- Larry Fitzgerald = T.O.
Givens- vs.- Patrick Crayton -vs.- Mike Williams -vs.- Bryant Johnson = PC
Thrash - vs. - Skyler Green -vs.- Corey Bradford - vs. - Laroy Mccoy = Bradford
Loyld - vs.- Miles Austin - vs. - Eddie Drummond-vs.- Carlyle Holiday = Loyld

*BONUS*

Chris Cooley -vs.- Jason Witten -vs.- Marcus Pollard -vs.- Eric Edwards = Jason Witten
W?T?F??? You are comparing Brandon Lloyd to our 5th WR?

Be a little more organized with your thoughts before posting them.

#1 WR
Dallas - Owens (1)
Skins - Moss (2)
Det - Roy Williams (4)
Az - A. Boldin (3)

#2 WR
Dallas - Glenn (2)
Skins - Lloyd (3)
Det - Scottie Vines (4)
Az - Fitzgerald (1)

#3 WR
Dallas - Crayton (3)
Skins - Randel El (2)
Det - Mike Williams (4)
Az - Troy Walters (1)

#4 WR
Dallas - Skylar Green (4)
Skins - David Patten (3)
Det - Charles Rogers (2)
Az - Bryant Johnson (1)

#5 WR
Dallas - Cooper/Rector/Austin (3)
Skins - Taylor Jacobs/Thrash (4)
Det - Drummond/Bradford (1)
Az - LeRon McCoy (2)

TE#1
Dallas - Witten (1)
Skins - Cooley (2)
Det - Pollard (4)
Az - Leonard Pope (3)

TE#2
Dallas - Fasano (1)
Skins - Fauria (3)
Det - Campbell (4)
Az - Eric Edwards (2)

Based on my subjective rankings and adding up the rankings, that would rank the recieving corps as follows:

#1 - Az (13)
#2 - Dallas (15)
#3 - Wash (19)
#4 - Det (23)

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
The skins are deep all right...

In deep ^&%$ :shatfan:

:skins:

Bizwah

Reaction score
Oh, heavens here it comes.....

The buzzards will be here soon......

I swear the Skins fans can sniff out any negative comment about their team from thousands of miles away.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
Bizwah said:
Oh, heavens here it comes.....

The buzzards will be here soon......

I swear the Skins fans can sniff out any negative comment about their team from thousands of miles away.

I had to put one in there. Usually I leave it up to

:starspin:starspin:starspin:starspin:starspin

But he didn't do his duty this time. Someone has to step up.

ghst187

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Let's not get crazy. It's not an elite unit, by any means, but it's a good sight above average. I'd put it at least in the top 8, if I had to rank teams. Behind teams like Dallas, Indy, Cincinnati, maybe Oakland (Porter doesn't show up to play until the Raiders get eliminated, but the other guys are nice) but they're right below that group, I think.

Let's see....I'd say that these teams have a better WR corps:
Top Tier (in no particular order):
Indy
Dallas
Oakland
Arizona
Detroit
Cincy
Carolina

Middle Tier:
Wash
NYG
Miami
Houston
Tampa
Denver

yes, they're good overall but definitely not "elite". If they would've added someone like Key or Plax then yes, they'd be in the top tier and maybe "elite". Lloyd and El don't quite fit that bill though.

superpunk

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
Let's see....I'd say that these teams have a better WR corps:
Top Tier (in no particular order):
Indy
Dallas
Oakland
Arizona
Detroit
Cincy
Carolina

Middle Tier:
Wash
NYG
Miami
Houston
Tampa
Denver

yes, they're good overall but definitely not "elite". If they would've added someone like Key or Plax then yes, they'd be in the top tier and maybe "elite". Lloyd and El don't quite fit that bill though.

C'mon, man. You added Detroit and Carolina to that top tier, but not Washington? Granted, Keyshawn is better than Lloyd or El, but I'm factoring total receivers (Cooley included). Take out Detroit and Carolina, and sub in NYG and Washington.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Brandon Lloyd and Patrick Crayton are potentially receivers on the rise, but neither has been convincing beyond flashes. Lloyd's stats are very deceiving in that he was the best option on a terrible team, so his stats are padded. In 1988, Ray Alexander had 54 catches for 788 yards and 6 TDs for us. He caught one more pass his entire career. Similarly Lloyd had 48 catches and 5 TDs for the 49ers last year. Even on bad teams, someone has to make some catches-- and to his credit for the 49ers that guy was Lloyd-- but what is more indicitive is that SF as bad as they are were all-too-willing to get rid if him. Rather strange for a young prospect, right?

Randle El is a third wide receiver who parlayed the biggest play of his life into a wealthy free agent contract in a WR sparse market. He did jack squat last year, 35 catches and 1 TD, to justify his new deal.

Essentially, Washington barely upgraded their existing starters. They needed a complementary WR (can you say Joe Jurevicius?) to draw coverage from Moss and Cooley, but they instead only acquired receivers who rate single coverage.

Woods

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Brandon Lloyd and Patrick Crayton are potentially receivers on the rise, but neither has been convincing beyond flashes. Lloyd's stats are very deceiving in that he was the best option on a terrible team, so his stats are padded. In 1988, Ray Alexander had 54 catches for 788 yards and 6 TDs for us. He caught one more pass his entire career. Similarly Lloyd had 48 catches and 5 TDs for the 49ers last year. Even on bad teams, someone has to make some catches-- and to his credit for the 49ers that guy was Lloyd-- but what is more indicitive is that SF as bad as they are were all-too-willing to get rid if him. Rather strange for a young prospect, right?

Randle El is a third wide receiver who parlayed the biggest play of his life into a wealthy free agent contract in a WR sparse market. He did jack squat last year, 35 catches and 1 TD, to justify his new deal.

Essentially, Washington barely upgraded their existing starters. They needed a complementary WR (can you say Joe Jurevicius?) to draw coverage from Moss and Cooley, but they instead only acquired receivers who rate single coverage.

Actually, what was the main reason the 49ers traded Lloyd? His attitude?

Or did Lloyd want a major contract?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Gryphon said:
With receivers as dangerous and proven as Washington's top four, there's little doubt the team's pass-catching ability will be on the rise in 2006.

only Santana fits that description of being both dangerous and proven, Lloyd is dangerous, but he's inconsistent, and Randle-El and Patten? :laugh1:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The prob for Wash is the WRs have no size.

They tlak of Lloyd going across the middle on shorter routes but the reason he isn't in SF is because he wouldn't do that. He is a deep threat all or nothing guy. Randel El is a below average NFL WR but very much a plus return man.