Commanders | Team deep at wide receiver

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Sonny#9 said:
But again, what you have failed to refute, is the Cowboys have the same secondary

Uhhh, no, they don't... they didn't have Marcus Coleman or Pat Watkins last year...

and the same defensive coordinator

Who, like his team, will benefit from having had a year's experience in the new 3-4 scheme... this alone is sufficient to expect a certain level of improvement in the defensive play....

will be facing the Commanders with a better o-coordinator

And you don't know how he'll work out for you... bet if you think real hard, you could come up with a big-name coordinator or two who came to DC and had little success over these last few years... simply assuming that the Skins will be better because of the addition of Saunders is rather silly...

It's rather like the arguments I got from Skins fans a coupla years ago, when I pointed out that the center position was gonna be a huge black hole for y'all:

"Oh, we've got Bugel, he can coach 'em up"... well, that was before Raymer, and before Rabach (who's still probably the weak link among your starters)... seems ol' Buges can only do so much when it comes to turning a sow's ear into a silk purse...

My point is that until Saunders shows you that he can be equally successful in DC, you don't know that the offense will automatically improve... it might work out that Al had just found himself the perfect situation in KC...

Think about it this way-- Jimmy Jones proved beyond all doubt he was a great head coach while he was in Dallas, but he never came close to the same level of success when he moved on... the Cowboys were the absolute best situation for him...

You don't know that KC wasn't the absolute best situation for Saunders...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Sonny#9 said:
I'll give you that - but by how much? Wouldn't the talent upgrade still surpass that?

That's why they play the games... of course, we've upgraded our talent, too... that's the one thing you Skins fans have consistently ignored in the course of this thread, you're acting like you've gone and revamped your WR corps, but we'll be lining up the same old defense against you...

It will against the run but I don't see how your secondary got better.

1) Marcus Coleman and Pat Watkins upgrade the FS position...

2) A year's experience in the 3-4 ( a defense the Boys had never played full-time before) will lead to fewer mistakes...

3) A continually improving pass rush...

That should be sufficient, since the secondary really wasn't that bad last year... they had a terrible game in that MNF game against the Skins, and later against the Niners, but other than that, well, let's just say they wound up 11th in the league in pass defense, exactly one rung lower than the Skins... the Skins gave up a whopping tenth of a yard per game less than the Cowboys did (the Boys gave up 192.7 yards per game)...

Beyond that, the Boys ranked 2nd in completion percentage allowed, again just behind the Skins... this despite having a rather mediocre pass rush, ranking 14th with just 37 sacks...

It's funny, watching you guys try to paint the Cowboys' secondary as some huge black hole, when in point of fact they were among the leagues' better pass defenses...

Renesis

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Other than Santana Moss last year, your WRs did NOTHING against anyone...
Statement adjusted just a tad.

Beyond Moss the WR corps was just depressing to watch last year. Personally I just hope that Lloyd and ARE contribute. I don't care how many catches they make as long as they make them somewhat consistently. Anything was an improvement over what we had last year.

Taylor "I think I have a concussion" Jacobs
Jimmy Farris
Antonio Brown

*sigh*

I don't think any logical 'Skins fan is predicting Santana-like numbers from them(I hope not anyway), just.....numbers, something, anything.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Renesis said:
Statement adjusted just a tad.

Beyond Moss the WR corps was just depressing to watch last year. Personally I just hope that Lloyd and ARE contribute. I don't care how many catches they make as long as they make them somewhat consistently. Anything was an improvement over what we had last year.

Taylor "I think I have a concussion" Jacobs
Jimmy Farris
Antonio Brown

*sigh*

I don't think any logical 'Skins fan is predicting Santana-like numbers from them(I hope not anyway), just.....numbers, something, anything.

You have undoubtedly upgraded the WR corps and should get better production from the position.

The only questions are would some of that money been better off spent at some other positions where there is zero depth and could you have added a bigger, possession type Wr instead of say Lloyd. The name that jumps out at me is the guy Caronlina signed to complement Steve Smith, former Cowboy Keyshawn Johnson. He wasn't around because you guys sign everyone at 12:01 but he might have been the best possible choice.

You guys have a good team and you have a very good coaching staff in place. I still think you have one of the worst front offices in football tho thus will remain suspicious of your off-seasons til they pan out on the field more than once a decade.

illone

Reaction score
silverbear said:
It's typical of the way you Skins fans argue, this focusing on ONE game... how 'bout we look at the big picture when it comes to Clinton Portis against the Cowboys since he's come to the Skins??

Go back and read the thread. I didn't start this sidebar of logic, your buddy did.

Sonny#9

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Uhhh, no, they don't... they didn't have Marcus Coleman or Pat Watkins last year...

I don't know much about Coleman - other than he is older, like 32 correct? And last time I heard, Davis was still top of the depth chart. Pat Watkins is a 5th round rookie, I wouldn't expect too much from him this year.

silverbear said:
Who, like his team, will benefit from having had a year's experience in the new 3-4 scheme... this alone is sufficient to expect a certain level of improvement in the defensive play....

I will give you that - but added another rookie, and what I read Ayodele was let go out of Jax and no one was really crying - but then again, writers have been known to make mistakes, from time to time. (I think sports writers are the biggest bunch of blowhards...)

silverbear said:
And you don't know how he'll work out for you... bet if you think real hard, you could come up with a big-name coordinator or two who came to DC and had little success over these last few years... simply assuming that the Skins will be better because of the addition of Saunders is rather silly...

Name one with the pedigree of Saunders. He has had success everywhere he has been. He made Eddie freakin' Kennison a 1000 yrd receiver. There will be an adjustment, I believe he will work out just fine. But, like the adjustment to the 3-4, it remains to be seen how well.

silverbear said:
It's rather like the arguments I got from Skins fans a coupla years ago, when I pointed out that the center position was gonna be a huge black hole for y'all:

I never said that, I said the Cowboys 2ndary is on par w/ the Commanders. Although I would take Taylor/Arch over Davis/Williams any day.

silverbear said:
"Oh, we've got Bugel, he can coach 'em up"... well, that was before Raymer, and before Rabach (who's still probably the weak link among your starters)... seems ol' Buges can only do so much when it comes to turning a sow's ear into a silk purse...

The Skins have the best coaching staff in the East, if not the NFC.

silverbear said:
My point is that until Saunders shows you that he can be equally successful in DC, you don't know that the offense will automatically improve... it might work out that Al had just found himself the perfect situation in KC...

Think about it this way-- Jimmy Jones proved beyond all doubt he was a great head coach while he was in Dallas, but he never came close to the same level of success when he moved on... the Cowboys were the absolute best situation for him...

You don't know that KC wasn't the absolute best situation for Saunders...

Jimmy Jones? You pick on Commanders fans, but at least we can distinguish our coaches from our owners.

Saunders has the tools, it's all a matter of how well it comes together. Based on previous stops, it's looking like it will come together just fine.

MossBurner

Reaction score
silverbear said:
That's right, kiddies, in 4 games played against the Boys, Clinton has still not scored a single TD...

And the teams split those games...

Skins O stunk

Game 1 - Santana, Santana, Santana, Santana
Game 2 - Betts replaced Clinton for most of the second half and scored.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
MossBurner said:
Game 2 - Betts replaced Clinton for most of the second half

Why must you guys make things up as if people are too stupid to look it up?

Portis had 23 carries in the game, 11 of those carries were in the second half. Betts DID replace Portis midway thru the 4th after Portis had already carried the ball 23 times