Commanders vs. Cowboys just got HUGE

jrockster77

Reaction score
Well, with both the Skins and Boys looking less than great in their openers, week 2 in Dallas just got HUGE. I honestly think these two teams are gonna finish 1-2 in the division in some manner, so both games against eachother are huge.

The things I'll be looking for from the Skins:
1) TJ Duckett -- where was he in the opener?? They traded some serious draft picks for him...why did he get zero carries?? Makes no sense
2) Randle-El -- showed why the Skins gave him so much money. He will be a part of at least one trick play next week.
3) Clinton Portis -- showed he is fully healed from the shoulder injury, and looks set to take back his starting job this weekend.
4) The deep ball -- The Skins only took one deep shot the entire game; which was another head-scratcher for me. Brandon Lloyd and Santana Moss should see a lot more action next week against the Boys...hopefully some deep bombs.

Things I'll expect to see from the Boys:
1) Will Bledsoe stay upright?? I expected Johnson to get sacked 10 times this game, but we only got to him once. Will we be able to get to Bledsoe??
2) Terrell Owens -- The Skins have had great success against him; can Parcells scheme for him to get open? Rogers was beat several times last night...can he cover Owens?? I don't think Springs will be back.
3) The Running Game -- Chester Taylor ran for 88 yards and a score against us. I predicted Taylor to finish with much less than that. Granted Minny's line is much better than Dallas', but still. Will Dallas be able to run over our line?
4) 3rd down conversions -- Minny had their way with us on 3rd down -- no matter if it was 3rd and short or 3rd and long, they converted probably 90% of them (not sure on that number). Can the Boys have similar success??

Regardless, it will be a great game as always this Sunday night...another classic methinks. Philly's easy early schedule will keep them in front, but either the Skins or Dallas will catch them soon enough...

jrockster77

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
you're totally overlooking the Gspots, but I like your symnopsis

I don't know...the Giants running game looks fierce, but I honestly think they don't escape their first six games better than 2-4. They'll recover, but not enough to win the division. We'll see though I guess...

aznhalf

Reaction score
While you've had good success against Owens (though I remember a 40+yard WR reverse where he juked the entire team but that was a good while back=P) your preformance as a defensive unit was horrible. Have you ever beaten Owens?

Shutting down TO is great and everything but not when you devote your entire coverage doing so. And our other options aren't nobodies like the Eagles had. I expect TG and either of TE's to have a big game.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
and I think you underrate our running blocking, Jules gained 87 yards and a score against a very, stout Jax run D

jrockster77

Reaction score
aznhalf said:
While you've had good success against Owens (though I remember a 40+yard WR reverse where he juked the entire team but that was a good while back=P) your preformance as a defensive unit was horrible. Have you ever beaten Owens?

Shutting down TO is great and everything but not when you devote your entire coverage doing so. And our other options aren't nobodies like the Eagles had. I expect TG and either of TE's to have a big game.

This is a good point -- even if we do shut down Owens, will we be able to contain Glenn?? Personally, I think Glenn showed that he's the best receiver on your team this preseason. He made play after play, and looked great. It all comes down to Bledsoe -- will we be able to get to him???

As far as our defense; I don't think they looked horrible -- they had some nice moments. On 3rd down, however, they looked terrible. This was really a shock to me because its the 3rd year in GW's system, and you'd think they'd get better. Unfortunately, that was not the case. I expect the defense to step up and play much better next week. Maybe that's wishful thinking, but I hope not!! :p:

summerisfunner said:
and I think you underrate our running blocking, Jules gained 87 yards and a score against a very, stout Jax run D

Another good point. However the Boys don't have the Vikings OLine, and they don't have Richardson; both of whom contributed to the Skins poor showing against the run. 88 yards and a TD to Chester Taylor is inexcusable. I think the unit will be much better next week against you guys.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
2) Randle-El -- showed why the Skins gave him so much money.

He did?

Two carries for 7 yards, five catches at 6.8 yards per catch and three punt returns for 28 yards is worth that much money?

You could have gotten Skyler Green to do that for a lot less money.

jrockster77

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
He did?

Two carries for 7 yards, five catches at 6.8 yards per catch and three punt returns for 28 yards is worth that much money?

Really?? He's gonna do all that from your practice squad??

JonCJG

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
He did?

:lmao:

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
Really?? He's gonna do all that from your practice squad??
I think you missed the point. Those stats are nothing to brag about and in no way show why he was paid so highly.

jrockster77

Reaction score
KD said:

What did Skyler Green do for you guys against Jacksonville?? Oh yeah, I found it: 0 receptions for 0 yards, 0 carries for 0 yards, 0 returns for 0 yards.

Really wish some of you could take off the blue and silver glasses for a minute in some threads...

jrockster77

Reaction score
RoyWillisill said:
I think you missed the point. Those stats are nothing to brag about and in no way show why he was paid so highly.

He had no direct contribution, but his open field moves on his punt return showed how dangerous he is.

Alright -- I'll change my original statement -- Randle-El started to show why we paid him so much money.

Is that better??

PS - Its ridiculous to compare a practice squad player to Randle-El.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Biggest disappointment for me today was Carter. He simply was not getting the job done. The injury to Pierson Prioleau was a big one with Springs already out.

The offense sputtered in the Red Zone, and the D was not aggressive enough, not to mention Frost having basically one good punt all game.

The final miss by Hall is bothersome only because he rarely seems to be able to hit the big ones, and the fact that if the offense had played better they wouldnt have been in that position to begin with. Commanders left at least 8 points on the field tonight.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
What did Skyler Green do for you guys against Jacksonville?? Oh yeah, I found it: 0 receptions for 0 yards, 0 carries for 0 yards, 0 returns for 0 yards.

Really wish some of you could take off the blue and silver glasses for a minute in some threads...

True, but he is a fourth round rookie draft pick.

I agree that I saw some good things from ARE, but it isnt like he lit it up tonight.

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
jrockster77 said:

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. You mean to tell me that when you see this stat line: 5 catches for 34 yards and 0 td's, 2 rushes for 7 yards and 0 td's and 3 returns for 28 yards and 0 td's you think of a top paid athlete ? (around 7 years 29 million roughly if i recall and a 8 million dollar signing bonus) I think you have to take off the homer glasses those stats are nothing special and aren't nearly worth half of that contract. Don't take me wrong I think Randle-El is a nice player but to say he showed why he got paid so much with those stats is absurd.

JonCJG

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Biggest disappointment for me today was Carter. He simply was not getting the job done. The injury to Pierson Prioleau was a big one with Springs already out.

The offense sputtered in the Red Zone, and the D was not aggressive enough, not to mention Frost having basically one good punt all game.

The final miss by Hall is bothersome only because he rarely seems to be able to hit the big ones, and the fact that if the offense had played better they wouldnt have been in that position to begin with. Commanders left at least 8 points on the field tonight.

Don't worry its not like you overpaid for Carter, Randel El, Lloyd (3,4 round draft picks right?) or Adam Arculeta?

Oh wait........ you did!!!!!!!!

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
He had no direct contribution, but his open field moves on his punt return showed how dangerous he is.

Alright -- I'll change my original statement -- Randle-El started to show why we paid him so much money.

Is that better??

PS - Its ridiculous to compare a practice squad player to Randle-El.
I didnt compare him to Green. But I think the point was that an average player could have put up those stats. Not saying he will not improve but as of week one those stats are far from impressive. Was he exciting on the return ? Yes, he sure was and I'd love for the boys to have a returner like that but I wouldn't pay that much money for one.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
KD said:
Don't worry its not like you overpaid for Carter, Randel El, Lloyd (3,4 round draft picks right?) or Adam Arculeta?

Oh wait........ you did!!!!!!!!

Oh, I am not worried. In 6 days, I will be celebrating a Commanders Win.

How is that first round draft choice, and greatest percentage kicker working out for you so far ?

Glass Houses Bro.

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Oh, I am not worried. In 6 days, I will be celebrating a Commanders Win.
I wouldn't be so quick to declare a win and underestimate the opponent. I think we BOTH found that out on week 1. :bang2:

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:

Skins' goats (at one point or another in the game):

Brandon Lloyd-- 1 catch...

Mike Rumph, Kenny Wright, Carlos Rogers... good thing Williamson dropped 3 easy catches, one of them a bomb, or the Skins would have been torched for over 300 yards...

Andre Carter-- zero sacks... in fact, the Skins' pass rush was all but nonexistent...

John Hall-- the Skins shouldn't have even tried that 48 yarder...

Sean Taylor-- had some nice hits, but also had his boneheaded plays...

Al Saunders-- right now, it looks like his complex offense is heavily dependent on WR hitches and 3 yard dumpoffs... I found myself believing that Al didn't trust his offensive line to protect for Brunell for more than 2 or 3 seconds...

Commanders left at least 8 points on the field tonight.

Be fair, son, the Vikings had their missed opportunities too... Williamson would be running sprints all next week for dropping that easy catch deep in the first half, if I was the head coach...