Commanders vs. Cowboys just got HUGE

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
True, but he is a fourth round rookie draft pick.

I agree that I saw some good things from ARE, but it isnt like he lit it up tonight.

It wasn't a bad first effort for him, not bad at all...

jrockster77

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Commanders left at least 8 points on the field tonight.

We left 12 points on the field tonight -- in the red zone 4 times and only one TD?? Inexcusable.

jrockster77

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Skins' goats (at one point or another in the game):

Brandon Lloyd-- 1 catch...

I was surprised Lloyd was as invisible as he was.

Mike Rumph, Kenny Wright, Carlos Rogers... good thing Williamson dropped 3 easy catches, one of them a bomb, or the Skins would have been torched for over 300 yards...

I counted two easy catches he dropped, and a third catch that was pretty tough to make. He should have caught all three, true, but he didn't.

Andre Carter-- zero sacks... in fact, the Skins' pass rush was all but nonexistent...

The Skins pass-rush was not non-existent, in fact Johnson was under pressure a lot. The secondary just let him get away with scrambling and throwing.

John Hall-- the Skins shouldn't have even tried that 48 yarder...

I agree...my heart sank when Gibbs sent out the field goal unit.

Sean Taylor-- had some nice hits, but also had his boneheaded plays...

The personal foul penalty was bogus. He led with his shoulder, not his helmet. That was a completely bogus call, and may have cost us the game.

Al Saunders-- right now, it looks like his complex offense is heavily dependent on WR hitches and 3 yard dumpoffs... I found myself believing that Al didn't trust his offensive line to protect for Brunell for more than 2 or 3 seconds...

I was surprised why more downfield passes weren't involved in the game plan either. Brunell looked to have good protection, he just looked anxious out there...he had happy-feet.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Be fair, son, the Vikings had their missed opportunities too... Williamson would be running sprints all next week for dropping that easy catch deep in the first half, if I was the head coach...

As far as the goats part... fair enough. I wont debate that kind of trivial stuff after this type of loss.

I am fairly certain that you and I are about the same age, so that son crap is for the youngsters like HH31, and Summer.

Williamson's hands are not what they should be for an NFL WR. I was pretty high on him coming out of school and he has let me down every step of the way. He looks like he doesnt follow the ball into his hands. Didnt he learn the triangle method like the rest of the world ?

Anyway, its going to be a fun week for me talking trash with ya bro. Both after stupid losses, and both with something to prove. :shake:

Spurs21Cowboys22

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Biggest disappointment for me today was Carter. He simply was not getting the job done.

If you had high expectations for Carter, then I think you might be seeing what the Cowboys got from Marcellus Wiley when he signed to be the "pass rusher" opposite Greg Ellis. They aren't too different, actually. Carter has had 1 big sack year of 13 in 2002 but has done nothing substantial since then. You might want to lower your expectations and hope for a 5 sack season.

What you should really be disappointed about is Cooley: 2 rec. -3 yards. Maybe your 2nd most dangerous receiving threat and he's MIA in the new offense.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
Really?? He's gonna do all that from your practice squad??

That's the point -- you could have claimed him off waivers, put him in the same spots as Randle-El and gotten similar production (or better). Give Green two reverses, he could gain 7 yards. Throw him five passes, he can average 6.8 yards per catch. Put him back to return four punts, he can run them back for 28 yards. All of that is entirely mediocre even for a scrub player. You don't need to pay a guy $4.5 million per season to do what Randle-El did in that game.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Spurs21Cowboys22 said:
If you had high expectations for Carter, then I think you might be seeing what the Cowboys got from Marcellus Wiley when he signed to be the "pass rusher" opposite Greg Ellis. They aren't too different, actually. Carter has had 1 big sack year of 13 in 2002 but has done nothing substantial since then. You might want to lower your expectations and hope for a 5 sack season.

What you should really be disappointed about is Cooley: 2 rec. -3 yards. Maybe your 2nd most dangerous receiving threat and he's MIA in the new offense.

Considering that Carter was moved back to his natural position and didnt perform above mediocre is an issue. I didnt have high expectations but I had some type of positive impact expectations. I got nothing.

As far as Cooley is concerned he was not used nearly as much as I expected he would be. I am not certain that he has really obtained a grasp of this playbook yet. Considering the amount of potential opportunities for a TE in Saunders system. It was a letdown but not as much as some other things.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
You don't need to pay a guy $4.5 million per season to do what Randle-El did in that game.

So the cost of Bledsoe is justified for his performance over the last 17 games ?

Not that Bledsoe is expensive for a QB, but he certainly hasnt proven anything either.

silverbear

Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
I was surprised Lloyd was as invisible as he was.

I like arguing with you, you don't try to deny reality...

I counted two easy catches he dropped, and a third catch that was pretty tough to make. He should have caught all three, true, but he didn't.

OK, you're right, that one catch wasn't a gimme...

The Skins pass-rush was not non-existent, in fact Johnson was under pressure a lot. The secondary just let him get away with scrambling and throwing.

1 sack and 4 hurries, according to NFL.com... I don't know about you, but if the rush gets there JUST a split-second late all through the game, that means they didn't get enough pass rush...

I agree...my heart sank when Gibbs sent out the field goal unit.

Bluntly, Gibbs made a tactical error, keeping Hall on the 53 man roster... he simply has no range any more... his long the last 2 years is 45 yards, and they've only let him TRY two 50 yarders plus in those 2 years...

I was surprised why more downfield passes weren't involved in the game plan either. Brunell looked to have good protection, he just looked anxious out there...he had happy-feet.

Perhaps he had good protection because most of his passes were of the short dumpoff variety... those wide receiver hitches don't even require 2 seconds of pass protection...

Like I said, as the game went along, it began to appear to me that Saunders was trying very hard not to expose Brunell to any kind of rush, and that meant lots and lots of dump passes... even at the end, where a TD would have won the game for them, the Skins called a short pass on their last 3 plays-- a 4 yarder to Randle El, a short incompletion to Brandon Lloyd, then the final insult, a 5 yarder to Randle El again, on 3rd and 6... this is a rather bizarre sequence of play calls, for a team in dire need of a score in the waning moments of the game...

silverbear

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
I am fairly certain that you and I are about the same age, so that son crap is for the youngsters like HH31, and Summer.

LOL... I am constantly amazed at how often people get annoyed at that... well, where I come from (west Texas), we call EVERY male "son", even if they're 80 years old... think of the way Jerry Reed talked in the Smokey and the Bandit movies, and that's how a lot of folks really talk out in west Texas...

It's a FRIENDLY way of addressing somebody, or it's intended that way... I might also call you "hoss" somewhere along the line, and that doesn't mean that I think you're overweight, or smelly...

Williamson's hands are not what they should be for an NFL WR. I was pretty high on him coming out of school and he has let me down every step of the way.

I had him rated pretty highly on my draft board too... but until this game, I didn't realize he had Roberto Duran hands... LOL...

Anyway, its going to be a fun week for me talking trash with ya bro.

Aw, I don't really call what we've been doing "talking trash"... you're not trying to be insulting, you're just calling it the way you see it, and it's the same with me... and I'm not big for predicting the outcome of games, my thing is more to analyze what happened in the games just played...

Now, there ARE a coupla Skins trolls on another board who started talkin' some SERIOUS trash after we lost to the Jags, and naturally I had to reciprocate a bit earlier tonight... :D

jrockster77

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
That's the point -- you could have claimed him off waivers, put him in the same spots as Randle-El and gotten similar production (or better). Give Green two reverses, he could gain 7 yards. Throw him five passes, he can average 6.8 yards per catch. Put him back to return four punts, he can run them back for 28 yards. All of that is entirely mediocre even for a scrub player. You don't need to pay a guy $4.5 million per season to do what Randle-El did in that game.

Wait...I'm confused. Skyler Green was put on the practice squad in favor of a guy who returned 4 punts for 22 yards, rushed the ball zero times for zero yards, and caught zero balls for zero yards. Are you honestly trying to tell me that Jamaica Rector is the triple threat that Randle-El is?? True, he didn't do much last night, but he outpeformed the guy who beat out Skyler Green. I repeat -- comparing ARE to a practice-squad player is ridiculous.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
So the cost of Bledsoe is justified for his performance over the last 17 games ?

Why are you changing the subject?

Did I go over to ExtremeSkins and start a thread that said Bledsoe showed against Jacksonville why Dallas paid him so much money? (Never mind that Bledsoe is one of the lowest-paid starting quarterbacks in the NFL or that his three-year contract is for the EXACT SAME AMOUNT as the first three seasons of Randle-El's contract -- except that Randle-El's signing bonus was 2.5 times what Bledsoe got.)

jrockster77

Reaction score
silverbear said:
I like arguing with you, you don't try to deny reality...

Not much to brag about from that game...:(

1 sack and 4 hurries, according to NFL.com... I don't know about you, but if the rush gets there JUST a split-second late all through the game, that means they didn't get enough pass rush...

Well...pass-rush "stats" are really subjective, and hard to quantify. I thought he was "hurried" more than 4 times, but apparently the NFL.com statitician did not. Regardless, Johnson should have been on his back much more than he was in that game...it was pathetic.

Bluntly, Gibbs made a tactical error, keeping Hall on the 53 man roster... he simply has no range any more... his long the last 2 years is 45 yards, and they've only let him TRY two 50 yarders plus in those 2 years...

I'm not so hot on Hall...but he's a reliable kicker from 30 yards and in. I would be much happier with a better kicker on the roster, but at least we didn't drop a ton of money on a guy who isn't playing for us!! :p:

Perhaps he had good protection because most of his passes were of the short dumpoff variety... those wide receiver hitches don't even require 2 seconds of pass protection...

Like I said, as the game went along, it began to appear to me that Saunders was trying very hard not to expose Brunell to any kind of rush, and that meant lots and lots of dump passes... even at the end, where a TD would have won the game for them, the Skins called a short pass on their last 3 plays-- a 4 yarder to Randle El, a short incompletion to Brandon Lloyd, then the final insult, a 5 yarder to Randle El again, on 3rd and 6... this is a rather bizarre sequence of play calls, for a team in dire need of a score in the waning moments of the game...

Who knows?? It was the first real game-situation they'd seen...I expected some hurdles. Hopefully they iron out the creases for next week...

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
Wait...I'm confused. Skyler Green was put on the practice squad in favor of a guy who returned 4 punts for 22 yards, rushed the ball zero times for zero yards, and caught zero balls for zero yards. Are you honestly trying to tell me that Jamaica Rector is the triple threat that Randle-El is?? True, he didn't do much last night, but he outpeformed the guy who beat out Skyler Green. I repeat -- comparing ARE to a practice-squad player is ridiculous.

You're missing the entire point. You could have put ANY scrub in at Randle-El's spot and gotten almost the exact same production as you got from Randle-El. He had plenty of opportunities and did next to nothing with them.

We never threw the ball to Rector -- if he even got in at receiver. And we certainly never gave him the ball to run. But if we HAD thrown five passes to him and given him the ball on two reverses and gotten nothing more than 41 yards out of those plays, I'd be a little disappointed. And he makes the minimum salary.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Smokey and the Bandit is one of my favorite movies. haha.

And just so you know, I wasnt annoyed more joking than anything.

The stinky/overweight line is a classic though.

If you arent going to trash talk now, I will lure you into it at some point. LOL.

Hopefully, we wont have too much to analyze.

As far as the trolls go, they are on every board. It amazes me every time, how some of these people have access to the world and use it to prove to the world how completely ignorant they are.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:

Did I go over to ExtremeSkins and start a thread that said Bledsoe showed against Jacksonville why Dallas paid him so much money? (Never mind that Bledsoe is one of the lowest-paid starting quarterbacks in the NFL or that his three-year contract is for the EXACT SAME AMOUNT as the first three seasons of Randle-El's contract -- except that Randle-El's signing bonus was 2.5 times what Bledsoe got.)

My response wasnt to change the subject and nor did I say that Bledsoe was overpaid. I asked if he pay was justified with his performance. Nor did I start this thread or agree that ARE was worth the pay, at this point.

I think I stated that I saw some good things from ARE, and that he didnt light it up. Positive assessment, but not nearly gushing praise.

jrockster77

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
You're missing the entire point. You could have put ANY scrub in at Randle-El's spot and gotten almost the exact same production as you got from Randle-El. He had plenty of opportunities and did next to nothing with them.

We never threw the ball to Rector -- if he even got in at receiver. And we certainly never gave him the ball to run. But if we HAD thrown five passes to him and given him the ball on two reverses and gotten nothing more than 41 yards out of those plays, I'd be a little disappointed. And he makes the minimum salary.

I think you're missing the point bro -- you didn't throw to Jamaica Rector or hand off the ball to him because he ISN'T the triple-threat that Randle-El is. And remember; it was only one game. Let's see what he does in the next few weeks before we start saying any "scrub" could have done what he did.

By the way -- do you think any "scrub" could have thrown a touchdown in the superbowl???

jrockster77

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:

That's not what this thread was about, and you know it. I'm sorry that you're too big of a homer to see what it was initially about, but maybe if you re-read the originaly post, you'll see it wasn't about Randle-El; it was about the Cowboys vs. the Commanders this weekend.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Comparing ARE to Skyler Green or Jamaica Rector is ridiculous. If he was on the Cowboys I think he'd have the exact same #3 WR/PR role that he has on the 'Skins.

Skyler Green?
:rolleyes:

I don't really understand why people get so tied up in if a team "overpays" or not anyways. It's not your money, it's not some huge contract that is going to handicap the team. I'd rather "overpay" for a guy like ARE who had a decent day as a 3rd WR in a new offense and who had one nice punt return than lose a million dollars on the cap from a guy who isn't on the team (Boiman), see one of our big money/big name signings from last year continue to play below expectations (Rivera), or see one of the most expensive players at his posistion, and our supposed savior, have a horrible preseason and not even make the trip to the game (Vjagt).

It's hard to say that the Cowboys have exactly been spot on with all their singings so far. Now I'm not saying Rivera won't improve and play up to what we want to see and I know Vjagt won't spend the whole year inactive, but AT THE MOMENT when it comes to Randle-El, he was more useful to his team than some of our players were to ours.

That's the truth.

I can't believe I just dedicated a post to defending the overpaying of ARE
:banghead:

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
jrockster77 said:

No, but I have a feeling I missed the part where we gave Rector an arm and a leg to play for us.

On Andre Carter, I'm not saying he won't come around, but what I saw from him in SF wasn't too promising.

Springs is going to be dearly missed by you guys.

If Bledsoe can play a bit more intelligentely, I think we should be OK.

I dont expect a blowout from either team.