Commish Screwing Zeke Has Led To This. Voided Guaranteed Money

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Tell that to our Elite offensive line. Or one of the best linebacking groups in football. See what they tell you

Sadly our OL wasn't elite last year but got paid HUGE amounts... , and our rookie linebackers will soon have their say .

Again it's money, or no show under Garrett . On the other hand, under Belicheat players take huge salary cuts .

InTheZone

Reaction score
Poor Zeke the victim. Beats his GF, gets drunk and does stupid things, then gets suspended for it and ruins our season.

And he keeps on doing it. Now he is in Cabo holding out with two years left on his contract while the rest of his team work hard in TC.

Poor guy. LOL
Lets just hope you never go to prison on wrongful or false accusations. We dont know if zeke is guilty but we have proof she was all for lying to get him.

John813

Reaction score
Yeah, I think the OP got it wrong. I think the team has the option to void the guarantees, but I have seen zero to indicate that Jerry Jones or the Cowboys have pursued any of that.

Yea, don't want to read through the 100's of articles through that debacle but I feel confident there was no talk of Zekes's guarantees being voided. They could of, but never read anything during the season that they actually were.

Even then, I doubt the voided guarantees would apply to the 5th year option.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sadly our OL wasn't elite last year but got paid HUGE amounts... , and our rookie linebackers will soon have their say .

Again it's money, or no show under Garrett . On the other hand, under Belicheat players take huge salary cuts .
See I actually understand our game plan why we overrun Elliott. We just don't want to overexpose the defense the youngest starting defense in the league. I'm not sure what this new offensive coordinator is going to look like. I know when we turn Prescott loose, he destroyed the Ravens the Giants. So to Me Elliot is just a game plan because we have to not because we need to

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea, don't want to read through the 100's of articles through that debacle but I feel confident there was no talk of Zekes's guarantees being voided. They could of, but never read anything during the season that they actually were.

Even then, I doubt the voided guarantees would apply to the 5th year option.

If anything, this team has been exceedingly loyal and patient when it comes to the guy.

And this is how they're repaid for that.

Two weeks after narrowly missing yet another suspension, this is what he does to them.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
:(That's one way to look at it. the other is Zeke has helped to make is decision easer. Still self inflicted.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
See I actually understand our game plan why we overrun Elliott. We just don't want to overexpose the defense the youngest starting defense in the league. I'm not sure what this new offensive coordinator is going to look like. I know when we turn Prescott loose, he destroyed the Ravens the Giants. So to Me Elliot is just a game plan because we have to not because we need to

I hope Kellen Moore can do a good job , i've never heard/read about another NFL team put a young man as OC in his second year of working (ever) as staff in the NFL .
This could be a huge pay , or more than likely, a complete catastrophe . Time will tell.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He would have to pay back a portion of his signing bonus money of $16.35 million. That is part of the collective bargaining agreement that comes along with all drug or personal conduct suspensions.

The final total on that would be $1.4 million.

That number would be deducted from future earnings rather than Elliott writing a check back to the team, according to a source.

In addition, salaries for 2018 and 2019 (totaling $3.853 million) would no longer be guaranteed against a career-ending injury.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article181461481.html#storylink=cpy

So, Elliott pocketed a $16 million signing bonus, Goodell's discipline immediately erased $1 1/2 million, and he could still net the rest of his salary IF he does not sustain a career-ending injury.

Personally, my income empathy taps out for almost everyone who has earned $10 million or more, with the lone exception being Terrell "Must Feed My Family After Signing Mega Contract" Owens. My empathy evaporated for him at about $1 million in career earnings. (Old story / no one ask / lol)

I would feel sorry for Elliott even after he signs a new deal and got injured afterwards. Most athletes who turn pro work hard much of their lives to play a sport they love. I am compassionate about them losing what they love so much. However, my compassion has strings when it comes to money athletes' dreams have already secured.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I hope Kellen Moore can do a good job , i've never heard/read about another NFL team put a young man as OC in his second year of working (ever) as staff in the NFL .
This could be a huge pay , or more than likely, a complete catastrophe . Time will tell.
Every single team in the NFL, they all run exactly the same plays. since the beginning. It's about disguising them when to run them . when to bring that Wrinkle In. The kids been around coaching his entire life. It's about innovation more than anything in my opinion disguise. Give me a poker player

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He would have to pay back a portion of his signing bonus money of $16.35 million. That is part of the collective bargaining agreement that comes along with all drug or personal conduct suspensions.

The final total on that would be $1.4 million.

That number would be deducted from future earnings rather than Elliott writing a check back to the team, according to a source.

In addition, salaries for 2018 and 2019 (totaling $3.853 million) would no longer be guaranteed against a career-ending injury.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article181461481.html#storylink=cpy

So, Elliott pocketed a $16 million signing bonus, Goodell's discipline immediately erased $1 1/2 million, and he could still net the rest of his salary IF he does not sustain a career-ending injury.

Personally, my income empathy taps out for almost everyone who has earned $10 million or more, with the lone exception being Terrell "Must Feed My Family After Signing Mega Contract" Owens. My empathy evaporated for him at about $1 million in career earnings. (Old story / no one ask / lol)

I would feel sorry for Elliott even after he signs a new deal and got injured afterwards. Most athletes who turn pro work hard much of their lives to play a sport they love. I am compassionate about them losing what they love so much. However, my compassion has strings when it comes to money athletes' dreams have already secured.
I feel bad for any player that gets injured. Doing what they love most but that's a whole completely new conversation. Yeah Elliott knows we're going to use him up. We know he's a knucklehead why shouldn't we. It's hard when you see both sides. I never wanted to draft him in the first place. He could be the best ever no he chooses to be what he is. Already screwed up one season on us

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Poor Zeke the victim. Beats his GF, gets drunk and does stupid things, then gets suspended for it and ruins our season.

And he keeps on doing it. Now he is in Cabo holding out with two years left on his contract while the rest of his team work hard in TC.

Poor guy. LOL
He's a guy that can't stay out of trouble. Even once he does eventually get a new contract with more guaranteed money, he'll get in trouble again and lose the guaranteed money again. Just like his lifestyle forces him to need money, he'll burn through it almost as fast as he makes it. His irresponsible and compulsive nature is self destructive.

Last edited:

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He's a guy that can't stay out of trouble. Even once he does eventually get a new contract with more guaranteed money, he'll get in trouble again and lose the guaranteed money again. Just like his lifestyle forces him to need money, he'll burn through it almost as fast as he can makes it. His irresponsible and compulsive nature is self destructive.
And I believe the franchise knows that. Of course they're going to use him up. And he knows that. So what's the best course of action my cowboy brother. I have to try and trade him with his knowledge of it

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
And I believe the franchise knows that. Of course they're going to use him up. And he knows that. So what's the best course of action my cowboy brother. I have to try and trade him with his knowledge of it
100% agree

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
When Zeke got screwed by the Commish and was suspended to be made an example of, one of the consequences of that is that under the personal conduct policy, a player that is suspended automatically loses any guaranteed money left on his contract.

So, when Zeke got suspended, all his guaranteed money went bye bye.

So if you are Zeke, you know that if you get seriously hurt this year, you are screwed. It is the same reason that star players dont want to play under the one year franchise tag, because if you get seriously hurt then you are SOL.

So that is why Zeke is holding out wanting a new contract. A new contract has new guaranteed money.

You're making two different points that don't really connect. You say he needs a new contract incase he gets hurt, but then the reason is because guaranteed money is voided on suspensions...?

Anyway, the fact that they're guaranteed is voided, but he still gets the money if he's on the roster. The team simply has the opportunity to cut him early without the ramification. But if he stays on the roster it doesn't matter.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I feel bad for any player that gets injured. Doing what they love most but that's a whole completely new conversation. Yeah Elliott knows we're going to use him up. We know he's a knucklehead why shouldn't we. It's hard when you see both sides. I never wanted to draft him in the first place. He could be the best ever no he chooses to be what he is. Already screwed up one season on us
I am not nearly as resentful towards Goodell as is the norm. There is a method behind the league office's madness aimed at persuading players to consider all aspects of their personal lives so they can maximize their professional lives' good fortune affords them at its fullest.

Having said that, it is a fact that the justification used for suspending Elliott was so full of holes that it could have easily been labeled as Swiss cheese. Some people can and do solely blame Elliott all they want but the commissioner was equally or moreso to blame for the negative ramifications of the suspension than Elliott.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I am not nearly as resentful towards Goodell as is the norm. There is a method behind the league office's madness aimed at persuading players to consider all aspects of their personal lives so they can maximize their professional lives' good fortune affords them at its fullest.

Having said that, it is a fact that the justification used for suspending Elliott was so full of holes that it could have easily been labeled as Swiss cheese. Some people can and do solely blame Elliott all they want but the commissioner was equally or moreso to blame for the negative ramifications of the suspension than Elliott.
I can't blame either side. You just don't put yourself in situations like that. But he did obviously. Was it over punishment Maybe. But what do we go do going further that's what we should care about. It's not often I talk to somebody who can see both sides. I think the kid could be the best. I think you just confused a little that's a whole nother explanation LOL yes the franchise is going to use him up and he knows it. I don't think we have to overrun him this season with this new coordinator. I think he's going to turn Prescott little more leave way. Like we did against the Ravens the Giants. I don't think we're any longer concerned about over exposing the youngest defense in the league. That's why we had the game plan I believe of overusing Elliott

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Would you trade him for a strong safety. Or a draft pick. My opinion I would love for him to stay a cowboy put his head on straight. But if anything I'd want draft picks I think

I'd want a draft pick AND a player that can help us this year.

Strong safeties Josh Jones and Karl Joseph make a ton of sense. But neither the Packers or raiders have a need for Zeke unfortunately