Commish Screwing Zeke Has Led To This. Voided Guaranteed Money

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'd want a draft pick AND a player that can help us this year.

Strong safeties Josh Jones and Karl Joseph make a ton of sense. But neither the Packers or raiders have a need for Zeke unfortunately
I know this is just conversation. And we're probably going to get slammed for it LOL but thanks for replying

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Poor Zeke the victim. Beats his GF, gets drunk and does stupid things, then gets suspended for it and ruins our season.

And he keeps on doing it. Now he is in Cabo holding out with two years left on his contract while the rest of his team work hard in TC.

Poor guy. LOL

Sad this is being written by a Cowboys fan?

Does it hurt you sooooo much that Zeke's new deal will hinder Daks deal?
Guess so....

brickman

Reaction score
I dont like the holdout, especially after the team has had his back this whole time, but I do understand it.

Its the business side of the NFL.

The “business side” is ruining pro sports. Nobody is playing for the love of the game anymore and it sucks. We root for the team not individual players. When players leave the Cowboys and play for other teams they become the enemy. I love Zeke as long as he is a Cowboy. This contract crap just frustrates me like everyone else. Where does it end?

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sad this is being written by a Cowboys fan?

Does it hurt you sooooo much that Zeke's new deal will hinder Daks deal?
Guess so....
Why would Elliott's deal if he gets one hinder Prescott's. It's about extensions long-term deals for a quarterback usually. Either one shouldn't matter

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Poor Zeke the victim. Beats his GF, gets drunk and does stupid things, then gets suspended for it and ruins our season.

And he keeps on doing it. Now he is in Cabo holding out with two years left on his contract while the rest of his team work hard in TC.

Poor guy. LOL

How do you breathe and type at the same time?

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He would have to pay back a portion of his signing bonus money of $16.35 million. That is part of the collective bargaining agreement that comes along with all drug or personal conduct suspensions.

The final total on that would be $1.4 million.

That number would be deducted from future earnings rather than Elliott writing a check back to the team, according to a source.

In addition, salaries for 2018 and 2019 (totaling $3.853 million) would no longer be guaranteed against a career-ending injury.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article181461481.html#storylink=cpy

So, Elliott pocketed a $16 million signing bonus, Goodell's discipline immediately erased $1 1/2 million, and he could still net the rest of his salary IF he does not sustain a career-ending injury.

Personally, my income empathy taps out for almost everyone who has earned $10 million or more, with the lone exception being Terrell "Must Feed My Family After Signing Mega Contract" Owens. My empathy evaporated for him at about $1 million in career earnings. (Old story / no one ask / lol)

I would feel sorry for Elliott even after he signs a new deal and got injured afterwards. Most athletes who turn pro work hard much of their lives to play a sport they love. I am compassionate about them losing what they love so much. However, my compassion has strings when it comes to money athletes' dreams have already secured.

@stasheroo you were saying?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't blame either side. You just don't put yourself in situations like that. But he did obviously. Was it over punishment Maybe. But what do we go do going further that's what we should care about. It's not often I talk to somebody who can see both sides. I think the kid could be the best. I think you just confused a little that's a whole nother explanation LOL yes the franchise is going to use him up and he knows it. I don't think we have to overrun him this season with this new coordinator. I think he's going to turn Prescott little more leave way. Like we did against the Ravens the Giants. I don't think we're any longer concerned about over exposing the youngest defense in the league. That's why we had the game plan I believe of overusing Elliott
Elliott is a big boy and a running back. He knows how Dallas or any team will use him and how it will impact his physical and productive longevity in the league. That's life. Now to focus a moment on what really interested me:
Was it over punishment Maybe.
The girl lied. Goodell's own investigator told him essentially the girl lied. Goodell slapped Elliott--not with a fine or a one, two, three, four, or even five--but a SIX game suspension over a lie that circulated on social media and was regurgitated on talk shows. Yet, if I am reading correctly, you are uncertain the discipline dispensed was excessive?

I must confess being conflicted about closing with a laughing emoji.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Zeke got screwed by the Commish and was suspended to be made an example of, one of the consequences of that is that under the personal conduct policy, a player that is suspended automatically loses any guaranteed money left on his contract.

So, when Zeke got suspended, all his guaranteed money went bye bye.

So if you are Zeke, you know that if you get seriously hurt this year, you are screwed. It is the same reason that star players dont want to play under the one year franchise tag, because if you get seriously hurt then you are SOL.

So that is why Zeke is holding out wanting a new contract. A new contract has new guaranteed money.

That is NOT the reason.

An agent would not have him holdout for that reason.

Jerry would redo his contract to specifically guarantee the money if that was the only issue.

The 5th year option which is what he is scheduled to play under in 2020 is guaranteed for injury. The option was picked up by the team after the suspension and voided guarantees from that situation.

If he had a career ending injury in 2019 they would owe him an injury settlement. The settlement is based on a percent of that season's salary related to how many games that season before the player could sign and play with another team.

In the case of a career ending injury the injury settlement would be the entire 2019 salary.

Summary
If Career ending injury in 2019:
- Injury settlement for entire 2019 salary.

- 2020 guaranteed for injury by the rules of the 5th year option.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Insurance policy aint paying him Gurley money if he is hurt..............a new contract from the Cowboys will.

Not very difficult to figure out why he is holding out.
The concept of your OP was based on the guarantees or lack of in his current contract, NOT in the new contract.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Zeke just wants a new pot of gold to pay for all those honey's in Cabo and Vegas. Let him stew elsewhere and just keep
the fines running.
Sad thing is, it does not appear that Jones is interested in fining him.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Zeke likely sees his career under Garrett as a dead end , he wants money or wants out .

Having a mediocre head coach is a career killer for elite players .
Career killer? Are you serious?
He owes his current success and rushing titles to Garrett’s style and offensive philosophy. It’s easy to argue that he may not win anything under Garrett, but his career success is directly tied to Garrett and Linehan and their emphasis on the OL and the run game. Look around the league and you’ll see lots of teams and offenses under which Zeke would not have had the success he’s had so far.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Elliott is a big boy and a running back. He knows how Dallas or any team will use him and how it will impact his physical and productive longevity in the league. That's life. Now to focus a moment on what really interested me:

The girl lied. Goodell's own investigator told him essentially the girl lied. Goodell slapped Elliott--not with a fine or a one, two, three, four, or even five--but a SIX game suspension over a lie that circulated on social media and was regurgitated on talk shows. Yet, if I am reading correctly, you are uncertain the discipline dispensed was excessive?

I must confess being conflicted about closing with a laughing emoji.
All I know is . I've seen Elliot Elliott pull some college girls blouse over her head to expose her breasts. Lucky wasn't my daughter

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When Zeke got screwed by the Commish and was suspended to be made an example of, one of the consequences of that is that under the personal conduct policy, a player that is suspended automatically loses any guaranteed money left on his contract.

So if you are Zeke, you know that if you get seriously hurt this year, you are screwed. It is the same reason that star players dont want to play under the one year franchise tag, because if you get seriously hurt then you are SOL.

So that is why Zeke is holding out wanting a new contract. A new contract has new guaranteed money.
This could be part of it. But he’s already received the signing bonus and biggest part of his original 37 million with only about 15 million total remaining in last two years of Rookie contract.

I can’t help but believe he’s more concerned about the Cowboys using him up the last two years pounding him into the ground then letting him walk. And the fact Dak is seeking an extension a year early .

Zeke just wants to see if we’re serious about keeping him like we are Dak. If not he’ll probably sit it out.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont like the holdout, especially after the team has had his back this whole time, but I do understand it.

Its the business side of the NFL.

His agent wants to make a name for himself.

He is one of the lowest level agents of Cowboys players in regards to clients he represents.

Zeke on his rookie contract is already about half or more of the agent's total "under contract" dollars.

If the agent can get media attention and then appear to win a standoff with the Cowboys, it would be huge for him in regards to attracting new clients.

This agent is sleazy. He was involved with helping Rae Carruth and other Panthers players avoid getting into trouble for their activities before Carruth killed his baby momma.

The agent even owned or had the lease on the property which was the Panther's place for "entertaining" women.

The Panthers players were even investigated because someone in their group advertised for women saying that they were NFL players seeking women. It appears that the players got carried away and some women complained leading to the police investigation. The agent was even quote as saying he works to keep them out of legal trouble for their antics.

The agent's name made it into media headlines because his name was attached to the house at the time of the murder.

The police also investigated some Ray Donovan type "fixer" associated with the agent.

Zeke actually has 2 agents. The sleazy guy that recruited him and an Attorney. I can NOT find any evidence that the sleazy agent has a law degree. Apparently an agent is not required to be an attorney; although all of the big agents appear to have law degrees (I'm not certain he isn't but something appears fishy with regards to his credentials).

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Career killer? Are you serious?
He owes his current success and rushing titles to Garrett’s style and offensive philosophy. It’s easy to argue that he may not win anything under Garrett, but his career success is directly tied to Garrett and Linehan and their emphasis on the OL and the run game. Look around the league and you’ll see lots of teams and offenses under which Zeke would not have had the success he’s had so far.
yes , i am .

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

Do they sell dart boards with Goodell's face on them? I want one.

CWR

Reaction score
Zeke likely sees his career under Garrett as a dead end , he wants money or wants out .

Having a mediocre head coach is a career killer for elite players .

2 division titles in 3 years. I doubt he looks at it the same as fans. He isn't thinking of the last twenty years. In his limited time hes experience a degree of success and has to know they are set up to make a push this year.