Commish Screwing Zeke Has Led To This. Voided Guaranteed Money

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
That is NOT the reason.

An agent would not have him holdout for that reason.

Jerry would redo his contract to specifically guarantee the money if that was the only issue.

The 5th year option which is what he is scheduled to play under in 2020 is guaranteed for injury. The option was picked up by the team after the suspension and voided guarantees from that situation.

If he had a career ending injury in 2019 they would owe him an injury settlement. The settlement is based on a percent of that season's salary related to how many games that season before the player could sign and play with another team.

In the case of a career ending injury the injury settlement would be the entire 2019 salary.

Summary
If Career ending injury in 2019:
- Injury settlement for entire 2019 salary.

- 2020 guaranteed for injury by the rules of the 5th year option.
Not true

Fifth-year options are guaranteed for injury only between May 3 and the start of the following league year. As such, they’re not entirely risk-free, but as long as the player remains healthy, a team could exercise his fifth-year option, then cut him before his option year gets underway without being on the hook for his salary. When the league year begins, the player’s fifth-year salary becomes guaranteed for skill and cap purposes, as well as injury.

GMO415

Reaction score
When Zeke got screwed by the Commish and was suspended to be made an example of, one of the consequences of that is that under the personal conduct policy, a player that is suspended automatically loses any guaranteed money left on his contract.

So, when Zeke got suspended, all his guaranteed money went bye bye.

So if you are Zeke, you know that if you get seriously hurt this year, you are screwed. It is the same reason that star players dont want to play under the one year franchise tag, because if you get seriously hurt then you are SOL.

So that is why Zeke is holding out wanting a new contract. A new contract has new guaranteed money.
Not to mention, he hasn't had any endorsements either.... Imagine that! The leagues leading rusher year after year doesn't have endorsements?

Verdict

Reaction score
I hope Kellen Moore can do a good job , i've never heard/read about another NFL team put a young man as OC in his second year of working (ever) as staff in the NFL .
This could be a huge pay , or more than likely, a complete catastrophe . Time will tell.

Well McVay was pretty young when he was at the Commanders and now he is a head coach, who has already been to the super bowl.

LittleD

Reaction score
Sad thing is, it does not appear that Jones is interested in fining him.

That might be true but, if Zeke no shows by the middle of August, he loses a year in longevity in the league and if he no shows for
1st game, he loses game checks. Zeke can stay on vacation all season if he likes...Brown will find a RB who can run behind the line.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not true

Fifth-year options are guaranteed for injury only between May 3 and the start of the following league year. As such, they’re not entirely risk-free, but as long as the player remains healthy, a team could exercise his fifth-year option, then cut him before his option year gets underway without being on the hook for his salary. When the league year begins, the player’s fifth-year salary becomes guaranteed for skill and cap purposes, as well as injury.

Teams must exercise the 5th year option by May of the year prior to the 5th-year option season.

The Cowboys picked up Zeke's option in May of 2019.

If Zeke plays in 2019 and suffers a career ending injury, his 2020 salary would be guaranteed due to the 5th year option injury guarantee which starts when the option is exercised.

i.e. May 2019 to March 2020 covers the 2019 season.

The entire Paragraph 5 Salary for the Fifth-Year Option shall be guaranteed for injury-related termination only, effective upon the Club’s exercise of the Option.

The entire Paragraph 5 Salary for the Fifth-Year Option shall be guaranteed for skill, injury, and Salary Cap-related termination if the player is on his Club’s roster at the start of the player’s fifth League Year
(i.e., the option year).

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Zeke likely sees his career under Garrett as a dead end , he wants money or wants out .

Having a mediocre head coach is a career killer for elite players .

Projecting a fan's dislike for the head coach on to the players doesn't always make sense. This is one of those times.

Zeke has led the NFL twice in three years and probably would be three for three without the suspension. How exactly is that a "career killer" for him?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Teams must exercise the 5th year option by May of the year prior to the 5th-year option season.

The Cowboys picked up Zeke's option in May of 2019.

If Zeke plays in 2019 and suffers a career ending injury, his 2020 salary would be guaranteed due to the 5th year option injury guarantee which starts when the option is exercised.

i.e. May 2019 to March 2020 covers the 2019 season.

The entire Paragraph 5 Salary for the Fifth-Year Option shall be guaranteed for injury-related termination only, effective upon the Club’s exercise of the Option.

The entire Paragraph 5 Salary for the Fifth-Year Option shall be guaranteed for skill, injury, and Salary Cap-related termination if the player is on his Club’s roster at the start of the player’s fifth League Year
(i.e., the option year).
Yes guaranteed for injury. Not another suspension etc

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand your point.

No contract is guaranteed against suspension. Suspension = No Pay.
Or if the team wants to move on from him they can do so as long as it is not an injury and pay him no money. They have until may 3rd of next year to do so. So the 5th year isn't 100% guaranteed the team can squirm out of it. But it does cover injury. You never know what the future may hold. If I'm zeke I would do the same thing especially with the cba coming up.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or if the team wants to move on from him they can do so as long as it is not an injury and pay him no money. They have until may 3rd of next year to do so. So the 5th year isn't 100% guaranteed the team can squirm out of it. But it does cover injury. You never know what the future may hold. If I'm zeke I would do the same thing especially with the cba coming up.
The team does not have until May 3 of 2020. The May date was May of 2019.

They have until the start of the league year which is in March (the beginning of free agency).

If he plays in 2019 on the existing contract (without a career ending injury) and in March they don't want to retain him, then he would be a free agent at 24 years old.
- The player and agent would love that scenario.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
When Zeke got screwed by the Commish and was suspended to be made an example of, one of the consequences of that is that under the personal conduct policy, a player that is suspended automatically loses any guaranteed money left on his contract.

So, when Zeke got suspended, all his guaranteed money went bye bye.

So if you are Zeke, you know that if you get seriously hurt this year, you are screwed. It is the same reason that star players dont want to play under the one year franchise tag, because if you get seriously hurt then you are SOL.

So that is why Zeke is holding out wanting a new contract. A new contract has new guaranteed money.

But the money is still there in the contract.
But to get it he has to be on the field.

Is that correct?

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Zeke likely sees his career under Garrett as a dead end , he wants money or wants out .

Having a mediocre head coach is a career killer for elite players .

What the hell are you talking about? For money? If you get drafted by the Dallas Cowboys and you can play football you instantly have a 100x better chance at making a lot more money then 95 % of the league. Literally the only reason you posted such a dumb post is strictly to show your hate for the coach. Your statement is 1000 % inaccurate. Hell, Peyton Manning, a 2 x SB champ is jealous of our last QB who never made it past the divisional round because of how much more attention he gets. So dumb.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
The team does not have until May 3 of 2020. The May date was May of 2019.

They have until the start of the league year which is in March (the beginning of free agency).

If he plays in 2019 on the existing contract (without a career ending injury) and in March they don't want to retain him, then he would be a free agent at 24 years old.
- The player and agent would love that scenario.
Yes but you don't know what could happen before then. Especially with his track record

Little Jr

Reaction score
Yes, and that's exactly what Zeke and every other player on a rookie contract wants. 5th year option is injury guaranteed,and if the team wants to cut them, they won't get the money but become a FA for their 2nd, and probably biggest contract they'll get in their career.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
So he's holding out because he might get suspended? That's sad. Lol
Very sad. But he was suspended previously for 6 games for no reason should he have faith in the NFL again. Or nfl pushing an agenda that he's a woman beater that they punished. If I'm him I want my money now screw playing this year and the next 2 years on 1 year deals.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Poor Zeke the victim. Beats his GF, gets drunk and does stupid things, then gets suspended for it and ruins our season.

And he keeps on doing it. Now he is in Cabo holding out with two years left on his contract while the rest of his team work hard in TC.

Poor guy. LOL

+1000 likes...:clap:

Little Jr

Reaction score
Very sad. But he was suspended previously for 6 games for no reason should he have faith in the NFL again. Or nfl pushing an agenda that he's a woman beater that they punished. If I'm him I want my money now screw playing this year and the next 2 years on 1 year deals.
What he should do is stop doing dumb ****. As far as the 6 game suspension from the info we as fans have, I lean toward that he didn't do it. But when the da said he thinks something happen but he Just can't prove it, I'm not going say 100% he didn't.

If a player wants more guaranteed because he's afraid he might get suspended in the future, it's more than sad and says a lot about theplayer.

BigD5

Reaction score
Zeke is a tremendous football player. One of the best. I rooted for him and will continue to do so. But anybody with any logical thinking skills can see he is an absolute moron.

He has no leverage here. I mean none. Zero. Zip. If he sits out what will happen? He won’t get paid. He won’t get a new deal. Dallas will still have his rights for 4 more seasons. And..... so what leverage does he have?

If and when he does get paid he will be broke after football anyway. He has had two suspension worthy issues already in 3 years. And he hasn’t even grown from those problems. Not to mention pulling girls shirts down etc. and whatever ******* stuff we don’t know about

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
What he should do is stop doing dumb ****. As far as the 6 game suspension from the info we as fans have, I lean toward that he didn't do it. But when the da said he thinks something happen but he Just can't prove it, I'm not going say 100% he didn't.

If a player wants more guaranteed because he's afraid he might get suspended in the future, it's more than sad and says a lot about theplayer.
That was a 100% witch hunt. The one lady who actually spoke to the accuser stated there was no case there. And the DA Lisa Friel's family has owned giants season tickets for 30 years and has a shrine of eli in her basement. Yeh no bias there. The whole thing was a joke. So if that happened to you would you be so trusting? Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.