Twitter: Comp picks announced

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Yeah...some nice ammo just in case we see a guy we want I suppose.

Damn that's a good point. Traded him for what a 6th? Flipped it for a 4th rounder? Nice come up.

Yep, Correctamundo.

Now target that DT from NO who is owed 5M on his contract and do it again.

Sorry, cant remember his name, LOL

DCwarrior

Reaction score
Dalton was pretty good for us. Got very little offseason work with the team, then was thrown in midseason. By the end of the season, had 3 very strong games, then was sacked 6 times in the season finale. Leonard Williams had 3 sacks and 5 more QB hits. (Who was he beating so badly?) Tough row to hoe for Dalton.
Philadon doesn’t see it.
I hate to tell the guy but Dak didn’t do any better when he played.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You trading up on those picks or you standing pat?
I'm moving up for the best players of need, based on FA. I'm sure I'll be lectured on BPA not player of need, but I'm taking at least a DT, FS, LB, OT and CB, minimum. To get several potential starters will be wonderful.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Maybe they can go cheer for another team. Unfortunately they will be cheering against our team because they would rather be right than win.
They will. They’ll be cheering for Dak to fail for sure. They won’t admit it because they don’t have the intestinal fortitude, but they’ll be hoping for failure. Every pass.

king987

Reaction score
I legit cannot remember the last time Dallas had a 3rd round comp pick.

I know a lot of Dallas writers justified letting Byron walk by predicting the 3rd round comp. Looking at Byron's contract (16 cap hit this year), I think I'm fine with the result.

lkelly

Reaction score
How do we get screwed like this every year?

One pick away from our 4th being a 3rd and two picks aways from our 5th being a 4th. Always on the losing end of the close round breaks.
That's not how it works. They don't push a 4th up to a 3rd if there aren't enough 3rd rounders given out. They could give out just one or two 3rd rounders and a ton of 7ths. It's based on the contract of the free agent and some other lesser factors. They aren't going to upgrade a $1M free agent to a third rounder if there aren't a bunch of QBs, CBs, and DLs signing big dollar deals.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Maybe they can go cheer for another team. Unfortunately they will be cheering against our team because they would rather be right than win.
I'm not going anywhere brother, I've been here since 1969 and god willing I'll be here for another championship long after you leave when Dak is gone.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Move that extra 3rd and 4th to snatch another 2nd rounder. We need 3 def starters immediately.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
That's not how it works. They don't push a 4th up to a 3rd if there aren't enough 3rd rounders given out. They could give out just one or two 3rd rounders and a ton of 7ths. It's based on the contract of the free agent and some other lesser factors. They aren't going to upgrade a $1M free agent to a third rounder if there aren't a bunch of QBs, CBs, and DLs signing big dollar deals.

Actually that is how it works.

Of course either based off of contract, but that doesn't mean we were one less contracted player away from one round higher.

Very weird reply, because so confident yet so wrong.

coult44

Reaction score
BUt but but we cant fix the defense because we paid Dak. wah wah wah

Dude serious? How many years do we put ourselves through this? We are not a good drafting team!!! We stopped winning super bowls when Jerry stopped getting the great big time FA’s

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I want Dalton back. It's settled that Dak's the starter, but if he goes down, I want an experienced vet like Dalton to step in.

It will be interesting to see what Dalton gets in free agency. His accuracy stats are pretty good, he faced the highest drop% in the league, while having low average pocket time.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/passing_advanced.htm

I think he's a starter who will be signed to fight for a starting spot somewhere. He'll get offers way above our backup money offer.

lkelly

Reaction score
Actually that is how it works.

Of course either based off of contract, but that doesn't mean we were one less contracted player away from one round higher.

Very weird reply, because so confident yet so wrong.
If you somehow thing there are a certain number of fixed picks per round and your comp pick could "slide up" a round (the Cowboys were somehow robbed this year?), then you don't have it right. Explain your equal distribution of comp picks per round in 2017:
https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/NFL-Announces-32-Compensatory-Draft-Choices-to-16-Clubs.aspx

There are 32 picks handed out each year. That doesn't include the newly instituted coaching/GM picks this season which bumped the total up a few. The top 32 are handed out based on a formula largely based on salary. If the top 32 didn't meet the third round threshold, they aren't going to just hand out 3rd round picks to the top comp pick team because it fits a quota.

In 2016 there were only 4 third rounders awarded:
https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/NFL-ANNOUNCES-33-COMPENSATORY-DRAFT-CHOICES-TO-13-CLUBS.aspx

In 2013 there were only 3 third rounders:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-announces-compensatory-picks-for-2013-nfl-draft/

In 2019 there were only 3 fifth rounders. The Pats didn't get ripped off expecting their next comp pick in the 6th round to magically move up because of the teams above them. Danny Amendola's contract that year with the Dolphins wasn't high enough to justify a 5th rounder, no matter what had happened to the players with larger contracts above him.

If Robert Quinn had signed a larger deal, or if he'd met much greater playing time thresholds then there was the possibility of him qualifying for a third rounder. It wouldn't have mattered if Dante Fowler had stayed with the Rams and not given them a 3rd rounder.

lkelly

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what Dalton gets in free agency. His accuracy stats are pretty good, he faced the highest drop% in the league, while having low average pocket time.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/passing_advanced.htm

I think he's a starter who will be signed to fight for a starting spot somewhere. He'll get offers way above our backup money offer.
With the shrinking cap and the number of kids in the draft, I wouldn't hold your breath on Dalton getting starter money that nets Dallas a 3rd rounder. He might get a placeholder spot to warm the seat for a rookie like Lance that could need more time. Otherwise he's on a fast train to backup city.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
With the shrinking cap and the number of kids in the draft, I wouldn't hold your breath on Dalton getting starter money that nets Dallas a 3rd rounder. He might get a placeholder spot to warm the seat for a rookie like Lance that could need more time. Otherwise he's on a fast train to backup city.

Depends what people think of him. He has been a starter, and his QB rating after he came back from injury was 98. One paper, his stats are starting caliber.

Probably not a 3. Good chance for a 4. I think he'll be paid as a backup/starter tweener.