CFZ Comparing Brandin Cooks to OBJ

CashMan

Reaction score
The acquisition for WR Brandin Cooks is another good off-season move for the Cowboys. We got him for essentially 5th and 6th round picks, and Hou has apparently agreed to pay a chunk of Cooks’ salary next year. Cooks is a consistently solid receiver who came into the league the same time as Beckham. (I wanted to compare him with OBJ because of all the talk about getting Beckham this off-season)

STAT COMPARISON
Brandin Cooks

AgeReceptionsYardsTDsYds per Rec.Yds per game

Odell Beckham, Jr.

Some quick comparisons outside of stats-
  • Cooks is a little younger than Beckham by less than a year. (He was younger entering the draft)
  • Cooks is about an inch shorter
  • Beckham was faster coming into the league.
  • Cooks is considered a dependable route runner with great hands.
  • Cooks has been more durable than Beckham.
This is a very good acquisition!
I think you need to be comparing him to Hilton instead of OBJ.

Ken

Reaction score
I don’t think we need Cooks to be THE #1 here. If he can just be a reliable weapon, it makes this offense much better. Cooks is known to be a good route runner which Dak does better with.
He is a very good 2 +. Much much better than Gallup. It allows the rest of the wrs to fit better instead of playing out of their roles like they did last year.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the plan was to go sign an expensive wr this off season, why did nobody call Carolina for DJ Moore? They basically gave him away to Chicago.
It’s a fair question…Seems like Dallas has never valued Moore as much as we should have…? Not sure.

He doesn't stretch the field.
May be addressed in draft. Plus Gallup may also get some of his gallop back from his knee problems.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
uhhh they have to when you go up for the 1st pick!!!
They gave up multiple Picks plus 2 first rounders in addition to DJ Moore. That pick they gave Chicago next year is going to be a top 10 pick as well b/c they are going to suck this year.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Defense will have to pay attention to cooks. He knows how to get open and he catches the ball. This year‘s draft class of wide receivers is Soso. Good move

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The acquisition for WR Brandin Cooks is another good off-season move for the Cowboys. We got him for essentially 5th and 6th round picks, and Hou has apparently agreed to pay a chunk of Cooks’ salary next year. Cooks is a consistently solid receiver who came into the league the same time as Beckham. (I wanted to compare him with OBJ because of all the talk about getting Beckham this off-season)

STAT COMPARISON
Brandin Cooks

Odell Beckham, Jr.

• Cooks is a little younger than Beckham by less than a year. (He was younger entering the draft)
Cooks also has played in many big, playoffs games.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One is a talented head case. The other is a non needle mover. Nobody cares. Both are inferior to DeAndre Hopkins.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
It’s funny, people complain about negativity here and I’ve been disappointed but we make a good move for cheap picks and now people dislike that too? Im confused. We just got a CB snd WR with good stats for compensatory/5th/6th. I get wanting to go all in with DHop. Love the guy. But I never expected that from FO

Creeper

Reaction score

STAT COMPARISON
Brandin Cooks

Odell Beckham, Jr.

OBJ ran an unofficial 4.31, but an official 4.43 at the combine, according to NFL.com. Cooks ran a 4.33. Cooks is faster than OBJ.

Here are their official results.

OBJ - 4.43 40, 1.57 split, 38.5" vert, 10'2" broad, 6.69 3-cone, 3.94 shuttle, 7 bench press
Cooks - 4.33 40, 1.54 split, 36" vert, 10' broad, 6.76 3-cone, 3.81 shuttle, 16 bench press

comparable players but I think Cooks is a bit faster.

infamousstyles

Reaction score
One is a talented head case. The other is a non needle mover. Nobody cares. Both are inferior to DeAndre Hopkins.
Tend to agree. This move doesn’t change the offense. I don’t believe cooks can take over a game and with ceedee being the focus that is what we need to be successful. Would have been much more excited with Hopkins. The tandem of Gilmore and diggs gives me excitement and something to look forward to with the defense.

Last edited: