CFZ Comparing Brandin Cooks to OBJ

lukin2006

Reaction score
I like the trade. He brings much needed speed to the WR room. I can see MM designing routes to get both Cooks and Pollard going vertically to challenge defence’s

speedkilz88

Reaction score
But recently quarterback Dak Prescott has been more dink-and-dunk than deep. In 2022 the Cowboys only had 10 completions of 25+ yards, tied for seventh-fewest in the NFL. Dallas and Dak needed a deep threat, and Sunday morning they went out and got one in Cooks.

Despite being 29 and being traded four times - tying Eric Dickerson's NFL record - Cooks has the speed and skill the Cowboys need. Since entering the league in 2014 he has 58 catches of 25+ yards. Only one player has more: Tyreek Hill.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...ndin-cooks-trade-michael-gallup-odell-beckham

conner01

Reaction score
Beckham’s best was several rungs above Cooks but two ACL’s and a bit of a bad attitude levels the playing field.
I think that’s a fair assessment
At one time OBJ was really good but those days are behind him likely due to injury
Today I’d give the edge to cook since he’s been productive recently

Kingofholland

Reaction score
The acquisition for WR Brandin Cooks is another good off-season move for the Cowboys. We got him for essentially 5th and 6th round picks, and Hou has apparently agreed to pay a chunk of Cooks’ salary next year. Cooks is a consistently solid receiver who came into the league the same time as Beckham. (I wanted to compare him with OBJ because of all the talk about getting Beckham this off-season)

STAT COMPARISON
Brandin Cooks

AgeReceptionsYardsTDsYds per Rec.Yds per game

Odell Beckham, Jr.

Some quick comparisons outside of stats-
  • Cooks is a little younger than Beckham by less than a year. (He was younger entering the draft)
  • Cooks is about an inch shorter
  • Beckham was faster coming into the league.
  • Cooks is considered a dependable route runner with great hands.
  • Cooks has been more durable than Beckham.
This is a very good acquisition!
Thanks for the breakdown, Cooks is an accomplished receiver and is a good pairing with Lamb and Gallup. I think people forgot about him a bit being on a bad Texans team, but he's quietly been a productive receiver. He's an excellent number 2. I'm confident he'll be a productive receiver here and take pressure off the other receivers.

I will say Hopkins and OBJ may carry slightly more upside which is why some fans wanted them, but injuries and the results we've seen the last couple of years may not support that upside.

T-RO

Reaction score
Ok.. There is the speed but he's still not a legit #1.

1. There haven't been any #1 WRs on the free agent market -- OBJ is not that anymore
2. Many say there's not a single legit #1 WR in the entire draft
3. Didn't pay for a #1 ($12 mil)
4. We already have our #1 - Ceedee

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The acquisition for WR Brandin Cooks is another good off-season move for the Cowboys. We got him for essentially 5th and 6th round picks, and Hou has apparently agreed to pay a chunk of Cooks’ salary next year. Cooks is a consistently solid receiver who came into the league the same time as Beckham. (I wanted to compare him with OBJ because of all the talk about getting Beckham this off-season)

STAT COMPARISON
Brandin Cooks

Odell Beckham, Jr.

• Cooks is a little younger than Beckham by less than a year. (He was younger entering the draft)
You know it, chieftain!

Cmac

Reaction score
If the plan was to go sign an expensive wr this off season, why did nobody call Carolina for DJ Moore? They basically gave him away to Chicago.
FO is as baffling as some of the comments prasing Cooks coming to this team.

Cmac

Reaction score
Cooks quickly becoming All-Pro on this board......SMH.

links18

Reaction score
Compare Cooks to Ty Hilton. That's who the organization preferred to take into the playoffs last season. Yeah, the Texans wanted a 2nd. So what? If you are trying to win.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score

STAT COMPARISON
Brandin Cooks

Odell Beckham, Jr.

Great post as always Bob Purple Haze, also I think the Clampetts knew that Cook will not be that alpha since we already have a number one receiver and he can play the number 2 unlike Hop and OBJ can go off if do not get enough passes there way. They don’t want no blow ups on that sideline.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

STAT COMPARISON
Brandin Cooks

Odell Beckham, Jr.

You forgot to add that Cooks is probably far less drama

visionary

Reaction score

STAT COMPARISON
Brandin Cooks

Odell Beckham, Jr.

I’ll take Cooks over prima donna OBJ and it was a great deal to boot

visionary

Reaction score
It is a much safer move.

Odell's knees worry me. I would have liked to add him, but i would have been worried one would blow out any second the whole year.

Cooks is a much safer and similar type of player to OBJ.
OBJ is a diva and I don’t want that for this team

Motorola

Reaction score
Yeah I did not want the gigantic ego and circus that OBJ usually brings with him. Big Mac has seemingly taken some of the drama out of the Cowboys locker room. This is a better move for that IMO.
Other than Trysten Hill, I don't recall any drama queens\divas\problem guys that McCarthy had to reel in or shown the door.
Gregory was gone because of a contract dispute, Owner/GM shipped Cooper out of town.
Charlton traded and Gathers given walking papers before the coaching change; Elliott cleaned up his act during Garrett's last year.
However, Bobhaze - you are there locally - so you would know if there was stuff behind the scenes (lackadaisical atmosphere, lack of professionalism and accountability) that McCarthy addressed in his three years as HC.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Other than Trysten Hill, I don't recall any drama queens\divas\problem guys that McCarthy had to reel in or shown the door.
Gregory was gone because of a contract dispute, Owner/GM shipped Cooper out of town.
Charlton traded and Gathers given walking papers before the coaching change; Elliott cleaned up his act during Garrett's last year.
However, Bobhaze - you are there locally - so you would know if there was stuff behind the scenes (lackadaisical atmosphere, lack of professionalism and accountability) that McCarthy addressed in his three years as HC.
To me it’s more of a calming effect. The days of the “Hot Boyz” talk (without any backing it up), the Jaylon Smith non-sense…the needless Greg Hardy drama…just seems to me the waters are calmer here than they used to be.