Comparing DeAndre Hopkins and OBJ Stats

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all know he is a good player and he seemed like a genuine dood off the field on Hard Knocks.
It may be true that 'we' all know Hopkins is a good player but only 'some of us' think he is better than Beckham as a receiver. Separation has been one qualifier entered into conversation.

I agree Beckham gets more separation routinely than Hopkins. However, my preference will always be a receiver who may or may not get separation but who still beats the defensive back to the ball in both situations more often. For that reason, I believe quarterback/receiver communication will be superior with Hopkins than Beckham.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
I do think these 2 are the primary options for Dallas at WR2.
But I also think Stephen Jones (don't tell anyone) is handling this WR2 stuff well this off-season.

There are 4-5 solid WR2 options: DHop, OBJ, Cooks, Jeudy, R1/R2 WR, Theilen(sp?)
And more will likely become available after the draft.

Dallas needs a WR2 but doesn't need to overpay for one.
8-9M per year and R3 seem about MAX I'd go for one of these last leg vets.
Jeudy will cost a lot more to sign so I'm offering R3/R4 trade comp. --If he walks I get a R4 comp pick IMO.
OBJ wants 12-15M is my guess and while that is over my slot in cash he costs nothing and his market hasn't met his demand so he bears watching.
Can you get him on a 5-6M GTD with incentives deal?
If so I am all over that.

Dallas has to come out of this off-season with more than Jalen Tolbert and James Washington but they do not need bail out any of these teams or guys by overpaying massively.
Denver is begging people to take Jeudy much like Dallas did with Amari.
And the closer we get to the draft the less value these players have.
Another 20 WRs are going to enter the league with anticipated playing time 2023.

Dallas goal should vbe to get one of the top 7-8 options without paying over market value.

That may mean holding their water 'til draft night.
What does that R2 get you on draft night?
Prolly a lot more than it does today.
Awesome post - agree that Arizona, who might have the worst roster in football asking price will come down during the draft. Hopkins would be the ideal 2 and will be off the books when Lambs money would start to kick in.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do think these 2 are the primary options for Dallas at WR2.
But I also think Stephen Jones (don't tell anyone) is handling this WR2 stuff well this off-season.

There are 4-5 solid WR2 options: DHop, OBJ, Cooks, Jeudy, R1/R2 WR, Theilen(sp?)
And more will likely become available after the draft.

Dallas needs a WR2 but doesn't need to overpay for one.
8-9M per year and R3 seem about MAX I'd go for one of these last leg vets.
Jeudy will cost a lot more to sign so I'm offering R3/R4 trade comp. --If he walks I get a R4 comp pick IMO.
OBJ wants 12-15M is my guess and while that is over my slot in cash he costs nothing and his market hasn't met his demand so he bears watching.
Can you get him on a 5-6M GTD with incentives deal?
If so I am all over that.

Dallas has to come out of this off-season with more than Jalen Tolbert and James Washington but they do not need bail out any of these teams or guys by overpaying massively.
Denver is begging people to take Jeudy much like Dallas did with Amari.
And the closer we get to the draft the less value these players have.
Another 20 WRs are going to enter the league with anticipated playing time 2023.

Dallas goal should vbe to get one of the top 7-8 options without paying over market value.

That may mean holding their water 'til draft night.
What does that R2 get you on draft night?
Prolly a lot more than it does today.
I tend to favor going with younger options with more upside. Not having either of these guys may be the best move anyway. They are almost the same age, although OBJ certainly has more durability concerns.

Bottom line for me, I don’t care that much if we acquire either OBJ or Hopkins because I would rather have a younger guy with more upside but also have immediate impact. That’s very hard to find though.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
That strategy annoyed me to no end, but I’m not convinced that’s why. It certainly didn’t help, but…..

Were teams waiting for him to be released to get him for nothing? By trading a pick you guarantee that he plays for you. If anyone thought he was worth more than a 5th and wanted him and his contract, they would have offered it.

If Jerry handled that the way Arizona is handling this, I think the compensation would have been about the same.

I feel like this is a similar situation…..with the difference being our GM decided to tell the world and Arizonas is doing what is supposed to on the matter…shutting up.

Hopkins should be worth about a 4th, high 5th.
Hopkins is better than cooper. I don’t think they do worse than a 3rd

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
either way, its a waste of debate if most think its not happening but i said its never been the plan nor would it be mine. Push who over the top exactly? I said that already since when has cooper or dhop made that type of impact? so giving up a 2 and 18mil in hopes that pushes us over the top..not in my opinion.. would be nice to have but,

we saw that post early on in the year with the top WR duos in the league and only ONE made the playoffs. I believe that duo was Phillys( or cinci )and guess what they lost the SB, we saw firsthand here we had Gallup, ced, cooper and lamb for what 3 straight seasons and then one with just a limited Gallup and Lamb as the new #1 and what was the difference in the playoffs , same exit..

I just said look elsewhere to spend that capital, Go g t obj on structured team friendly deal OR how about DJ Chark and draft a WR with that draft pick ..

IMHO its the OL been the issue in the playoffs that has not carried a effective run game. Playing one dimensional ball worrying about another WR hasnt worked.

18 rams game- lost in the trenches mostly defense but a common theme NO run game hampered the offense made it tough to pass when you have a D easily taken away the run game without help.
21-OL 11 penalties DL 3 set us back once again where was the run game?
22-sure blame dak blame coopers trade, i say look at the OL once again being pushed back at the snap, no holes, no run game..

In bigger games agint the better DLS wthey take oir rungame away easily dont need 9 ithe box pay max coverge and just conrol the game. that what iove seen in those 3 losses. we need a physcal OL and a iondemtty of we will run and estoblish the run and then use that for PA passes and make t=it wasier to mocve theoug the air.

I saw KC do that first half down by 10 comeback was set up by the run game, OL and d taking that away from phlly making philly throw a lot.. guess what KC won the game.
It doesn’t have to be either or and your keep making it that. You can address the o line with the remaining draft capital and still acquire Hopkins, and please not you but everyone STOP comparing us or anyone to Kansas City. Mahomes wasn’t great in the super bowl but they were there because of him and even with a heavy run game- the eagles had to account for the threat of him on every play.

We aren’t Kansas City.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
stats dont look that different to me, i look at YPC and YPG, i mean games played are off, so total yards and opportunity's for Tds go up for Dhop on career stats but they seem to both bring the same skillset to the table..

Im not for trading for any players cost a draft pick and cost 18+mil per season for what would be backup role to Lamb and or Gallup..so OBJ best of those two but rather just get guy like Jarvis, Chark, or someone that is truly a solid player, has role and doesn't kill the cap. use saved money for other positions and use saved PICK on that very position.. if dhop costs a 2nd use that on a WR in the draft,
I for one wasn't onboard for any of those trades for Ramseys or cook nor dhop they are up in age, big$$ and needed draft p[ick..
So Chark and Flowers? I'd be cool with that...

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
My true number would be astounding.
giphy.gif

JBond

Reaction score
Just sign Hardman and be done with this nonsense. Chark is the other reasonable option.

SiCk_DiAbLo

Reaction score
We’ve all heard the talk the last few months about acquiring OBJ. Recently, talk about acquiring DeAndre Hopkins has also heated up. Both are very accomplished WRs. So I thought it would be interesting to compare the two statistically for strengths and weaknesses.
COMPARISON
OBJ.

AgeReceptionsYardsTDsYds per Rec.Yds per game

DEANDRE HOPKINS
AgeReceptionsYardsTDsYds per Rec.Yds per game
  • Hopkins is about 5 months older than OBJ. Both will be 31 during next season.
  • Hopkins has missed 17 games in his career, 9 of them last year.
  • Beckham has missed 33 games in his career and had two major knee injuries.
  • Beckham is a Free Agent
  • Hopkins is under contract for two more years with the cards.
Clearly, Hopkins is the more durable of the two and more accomplished in terms of stats. The big issue with Hopkins is contract and our ability to acquire him. Beckham is a FA and in that sense easier to obtain, although I don’t think he’s a great option for us.

Thoughts?
Never even thought that, Hopkins surely has the edge over OBJ...

blueblood70

Reaction score
The team is already good. We don’t need him to make us good- we need him and the addition of Gilmore to push us over the hump and him specifically at a position of need.

You coming back after the draft after the front office takes action isn’t some victory lap- most of these people are telling you (including myself) that we won’t trade for hop but that we should. The truth is the cowboys likely don’t but that doesn’t make them right. On the o line you can still improve other areas if you get Hopkins- to say you can’t is just being disingenuous.
right, got cooks i was correct no big trade for high picks and salary got reduced. Another Good move.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
right, got cooks i was correct no big trade for high picks and salary got reduced. Another Good move.
You said yesterday that paying obj on an incentive heavy deal made sense and I said the fan base didn’t expect them to trade for Hopkins…but they should.

If that makes you wanna take a victory lap have at it.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Hey man good job on being correct that the front office takes half measure instead of going all in…..even though most people weren’t arguing they would but that they should.

Your a true hero

blueblood70

Reaction score
Hey man good job on being correct that the front office takes half measure instead of going all in…..even though most people weren’t arguing they would but that they should.

Your a true hero
all in ??dhops not that much better then cooks get over it..we weren't looking for 1 we have that we also have 2 in Gallup but needed insurance at 2A that great deal..all in go fluff anthers teams deals..this is nice addition to b2b 12 win team. we werent looking to fill huge gaps just add some insurance,

yes OBJ at 10 with incentives would have worked but hes still playing games that eh did all last year im glad they got cooks.no way dhop was wo a 2 and player to be named , INSANE PLUS 18mil , NOPE

a 3 and 12 yes but again you can to wait on teams to come down on prioce..they got steal with cooks lie the browns did with Cooper.. yes very similar players careers and talent both got traded for cap reasons for less then expected.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
all in ??dhops not that much better then cooks get over it..we weren't looking for 1 we have that we also have 2 in Gallup but needed insurance at 2A that great deal..all in go fluff anthers teams deals..this is nice addition to b2b 12 win team. we werent looking to fill huge gaps just add some insurance,

yes OBJ at 10 with incentives would have worked but hes still playing games that eh did all last year im glad they got cooks.no way dhop was wo a 2 and player to be named , INSANE PLUS 18mil , NOPE

a 3 and 12 yes but again you can to wait on teams to come down on prioce..they got steal with cooks lie the browns did with Cooper.. yes very similar players careers and talent both got traded for cap reasons for less then expected.
You just said in your last post obj made no sense but yesterday you say he did…you’re all over the place. Hopkins is an all in move- he’s still much better than cooks. You can live in your fantasy world where you take victory laps on something that most people agreed wouldn’t happen… but where arguing it should.

No one isn’t happy they got cooks but he’s not the player Hopkins is or was so I have nothing to get over- if anyone has anything to “get over” it’s the dude quoting conversations from yesterday as some victory (spoiler alerts that’s not me)

blueblood70

Reaction score
You just said in your last post obj made no sense but yesterday you say he did…you’re all over the place. Hopkins is an all in move- he’s still much better than cooks. You can live in your fantasy world where you take victory laps on something that most people agreed wouldn’t happen… but where arguing it should.

No one isn’t happy they got cooks but he’s not the player Hopkins is or was so I have nothing to get over- if anyone has anything to “get over” it’s the dude quoting conversations from yesterday as some victory (spoiler alerts that’s not me)
NO sense at his asking price is exactly what i said but against better deal with healthier player, makes no sense,.

Cooks 6 1k+ season, same as coop same YPC, similar tds etc etc almost the same yards etc etc,.I agree Dhop slightly more explosive but hes only got 6 1k plus season but his were bigger like over 1400yards few years but not that big gap you are trying to intimate...

truly not a big gap.

perception is funny that way , all 3 payers a lot a like , yes Hopkins gets the nod as the better of the 3 but more like 1A 1 B 1C type careers.