Comparing Joey Bosa and Taco Charlton

waldoputty

Reaction score
Historically, pro day numbers always tend to be better than combine numbers, but your point is not lost on me. If you were to broaden your research, you would see physically he compares favorably to most elite DE's. So, he doesn't have a physical excuse. The rest is up to his head.

Thanks I suspected that the Pro Day #s but did not know for sure.
I replaced the Pro Day #s with just the combine #s.
So this is the floor instead of the ceiling as the lingering effects of the high ankle sprain may be there at the combine.

I think we all agree the 40 # does not really matter so it is the 10 yard split - but it is the same as Bosa now instead of being outrageous good. the 2 jump #s 'cancel each other out'. So the primary difference are the agility numbers.

fuzzylumpkins mentioned the the extra weight does provide extra momentum for the OL to stop so one would expect they dont need to be the same. though it does seem cone #s are substantially worse still.

i did this mostly to make myself better. i got to believe one thing marinelli will do is to teach technique and get the most out of him. question is how long does that take. anyone have a guess how long the technique learning is going to take? another question is that he was a 1 year starter - was Bosa a one-year starter?

which DEs would you compare him to with a similar size? i can think of Hardy, but not sure of who else.

-----------Weight--Arm length--10 yard split-40 yard --board jump--vertical jump--20 yard shuttle--cone--reps
Bosa------269-----33 3/8------------1.69--------4.86------10'1'-------------31 1/2------------4.21--------------6.89---24
Taco-------277-----34 1/4------------1.70--------4.93------9'7"--------------33-----------------4.39--------------7.17---25
Garrett----272-----35 1/4------------1.64--------4.63------10'6"------------41-----------------------------------------------33

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Bosa was a much better prospect no matter how many times fans post that their measureables were the same. 1000 RBs have had better measureables than Emmitt Smith, few have even approached his greatness.

So what is Bosa in this scenario because he surely can't be the Emmitt.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Both Bosa and Charlton are long, strong and have relentless motors. I'm really hoping Charlton proves his naysayers mistaken, though.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Bosa was drafted right before Zeke. If he had fallen to 4th last year, do you think we would have drafted Bosa or would we have still drafted Zeke?

Proof

Reaction score
Bosa was drafted right before Zeke. If he had fallen to 4th last year, do you think we would have drafted Bosa or would we have still drafted Zeke?

been wondering this myself recently and curious what others think. not necessarily if the cowboys would have, but if we'd prefer it. knowing what we know now about both. bosa is so much better than I could have envisioned he'd be this fast. it's incredible. war daddy indeed

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
been wondering this myself recently and curious what others think. not necessarily if the cowboys would have, but if we'd prefer it. knowing what we know now about both. bosa is so much better than I could have envisioned he'd be this fast. it's incredible. war daddy indeed

We'll never know, of course. It would have been a different path. The D would have immediately gotten a boost, but we would have had to draft a running back in a later round, and no one could have done as well as Zeke.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
They were going Zeke no matter what if available. Had Zeke come off the board it would have been Ramsey. They also thought about trading down for the DE/LB Leonard Floyd (6 sks last season).

diefree666

Reaction score
They were going Zeke no matter what if available. Had Zeke come off the board it would have been Ramsey. They also thought about trading down for the DE/LB the Bears drafted.
rumor was that Marrinelli was sure that Bosa was not really that good and that had an effect.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
So what is Bosa in this scenario because he surely can't be the Emmitt.
It's an analogy. Hopefully you understand that.

Bosa had 10.5 sacks in 12 games as a rookie and was one of the best DL in college for 3 years. There's really no comparison between him and Charlton. Saying they have the same tools because they're athletically similar is wishful thinking, at best.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Hard to say, Zeke was higher on their board but they have said they don't strictly draft BPA.

Zeke was such a great pick and helped the team so much, it's hard to imagine having drafted anyone else. I do think Bosa would have helped the team in a different way. If Taco works out, we'll be all right.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bosa has certainly outplayed his measurables. But counting on a guy to do that is usually a bad gamble.

Here's what FO's SackSEER methodology, which does a statistical analysis of edge rushers in the draft using factors that have historically been predictive, including production and combine numbers, has to say. I'm certainly not suggesting this is the be-all and end-all, but it's at least an objective measure that doesn't involve just eyeballing the numbers and saying, "they look pretty close."

Garrett:
Rating: 98.7%
"Easily the best...in this draft." "SackSEER rates Garrett higher than Jadeveon Clowney."

Bosa:
Rating: 87.8%
"SackSEER expects Joey Bosa to have a strong NFL career, but the system feels he is somewhat overrated as a possible No. 1 overall selection." "Bosa's explosion numbers were a little below average: he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.86 seconds, had a vertical leap of 33 inches, and had a 10-foot broad jump. Edge rushers with those types of explosion numbers have certainly been successful before, but none have ever been drafted in the top five. It adds up to Bosa being a below-average "top-five prospect.""

Taco:
Rating: 47.3%
"SackSEER is highly skeptical of players who are one-hit wonders, especially those who break out during their senior seasons." "Charlton's case is eerily similar to 2003 Bears first-round pick Michael Haynes." "Other prospects have certainly overcome these challenges before. Tamba Hali in particular had a late breakout season and below-average workout numbers, yet became a star. However, for every Hali there are three players like Michael Haynes, making Charlton an extremely risky play in the first round."

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke was such a great pick and helped the team so much, it's hard to imagine having drafted anyone else. I do think Bosa would have helped the team in a different way. If Taco works out, we'll be all right.
I can certainly imagine having drafted Jalen Ramsey. I suspect we'd all be very happy with that pick right now, just not ecstatic the way we are over Zeke.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Bosa has certainly outplayed his measurables. But counting on a guy to do that is usually a bad gamble.

Here's what FO's SackSEER methodology, which does a statistical analysis of edge rushers in the draft using factors that have historically been predictive, including production and combine numbers, has to say. I'm certainly not suggesting this is the be-all and end-all, but it's at least an objective measure that doesn't involve just eyeballing the numbers and saying, "they look pretty close."

Garrett:
Rating: 98.7%
"Easily the best...in this draft." "SackSEER rates Garrett higher than Jadeveon Clowney."

Bosa:
Rating: 87.8%
"SackSEER expects Joey Bosa to have a strong NFL career, but the system feels he is somewhat overrated as a possible No. 1 overall selection." "Bosa's explosion numbers were a little below average: he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.86 seconds, had a vertical leap of 33 inches, and had a 10-foot broad jump. Edge rushers with those types of explosion numbers have certainly been successful before, but none have ever been drafted in the top five. It adds up to Bosa being a below-average "top-five prospect.""

Taco:
Rating: 47.3%
"SackSEER is highly skeptical of players who are one-hit wonders, especially those who break out during their senior seasons." "Charlton's case is eerily similar to 2003 Bears first-round pick Michael Haynes." "Other prospects have certainly overcome these challenges before. Tamba Hali in particular had a late breakout season and below-average workout numbers, yet became a star. However, for every Hali there are three players like Michael Haynes, making Charlton an extremely risky play in the first round."
What does it say about Watt? He didn't even play Defense 2 years ago.