Comparing Joey Bosa and Taco Charlton

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What does it say about Watt? He didn't even play Defense 2 years ago.
It loves Watt.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2017/sackseer-2017

T.J. Watt, Wisconsin
SackSEER Rating: 91.3%

Most draft analysts rank Stanford defensive end Solomon Thomas as the second-best edge rusher available in this year's draft. SackSEER, however, prefers T.J. Watt.

Thomas and Watt are similar prospects in a lot of ways. Their production almost tracks one another's exactly. Neither saw game action as freshmen, they both had relatively pedestrian sophomore campaigns, and they both broke out as juniors, each recording exactly 12 career sacks apiece. Thomas has several pounds on Watt, but Watt makes up for it with slightly better combine numbers. Watt bested Thomas by 2 inches on both the vertical leap and broad jump drills and had an even faster 3-cone (6.79 seconds) than Thomas. However, what sets Watt apart from Thomas is his strong passes defensed rate, giving Watt at least one trait similar to his more famous older brother. Watt intercepted one pass and batted away six others during his short career, resulting in an average of nearly one pass defensed every three games.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The ones that are good are good immediately. The ones that are bad are bad immediately. If Taco is going to be good I'd bet on it showing quickly rather than in 2 years.

Could be right but I suspect that the team took this player, based on where they thought he might project 2 or 3 years down the road. I suspect that they see him as a 290 type playing weight with the same athletic skill he has now. If he can do that, he is going to be a much, much better player then then now. JMO

Verdict

Reaction score
I know I probably sound like a Taco hater, but that's not really the case. I think all of the DEscwho were clearly better than him were gone when we picked. What was left when we picked was a matter of taste. I don't think Watt was made to be a 4-3 end. He may turn out to be a really good one, but not so much as a 4-3 end. That's why he was a good fit for Pittsburg.

I have been wanting some larger more powerful guys on the DL and Taco fits that. He has power, but right now I think his speed and explosion are not as exciting. Of course that's just my point of view and realize I am probably in the minority but that doesn't change my opinion.

Verdict

Reaction score
Could be right but I suspect that the team took this player, based on where they thought he might project 2 or 3 years down the road. I suspect that they see him as a 290 type playing weight with the same athletic skill he has now. If he can do that, he is going to be a much, much better player then then now. JMO

That's the realistic projection. I think it's fair for the team to think he can do that. Two years into a pro program he can be a physical wrecking ball in the power department. He needs to work on movement on the snap of the ball though. That will be important for him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That's the realistic projection. I think it's fair for the team to think he can do that. Two years into a pro program he can be a physical wrecking ball in the power department. He needs to work on movement on the snap of the ball though. That will be important for him.

I agree..

reddyuta

Reaction score
His biggest problem is his hands, he needs gym work and technique work.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
May be, but I just go off of recent history. The last guy from a program like bama, Michigan, osu that came on late was Kirkpatrick in cincy. Everyone else either started out at least good or started out barely getting playing time.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
Does anybody ever wonder how much differently our season would've played out with Bosa instead of Zeke

TheHerd

Reaction score
Which should scare people if he didn't think Bosa could get after the QB.

This may be blasphemy on this board, but I've never though of Marinelli as a good evaluator of talent, unless he lies during all his press conferences and comments to reporters.

He seems to love very average players and often seems to way overvalue motor vs. actual production. I love guys with motors too, but hard work alone doesn't mean squat if the hard work doesn't translate into results. I work very hard at my sport, but guys with more natural talent work hard too and kick my azz on race day.

Verdict

Reaction score
This may be blasphemy on this board, but I've never though of Marinelli as a good evaluator of talent, unless he lies during all his press conferences and comments to reporters.

He seems to love very average players and often seems to way overvalue motor vs. actual production. I love guys with motors too, but hard work alone doesn't mean squat if the hard work doesn't translate into results. I work very hard at my sport, but guys with more natural talent work hard too and kick my azz on race day.

Fantastic post.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Maranelli hasn't been given anything to work with. He hasn't had assets. So he values what he can with the limited resources he's had to work with. He gets the best out of his unit. I don't knock him or his unit for their play. I just think he was asked to make a bunch of casts off and average prospects look like pro bowlers. He's not a miracle worker though some would say he worked some miracles last season.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Maranelli hasn't been given anything to work with. He hasn't had assets. So he values what he can with the limited resources he's had to work with. He gets the best out of his unit. I don't knock him or his unit for their play. I just think he was asked to make a bunch of casts off and average prospects look like pro bowlers. He's not a miracle worker though some would say he worked some miracles last season.
Does he have assets now? Compare our defense to New England and tell me the difference. Honestly

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
The ones that are good are good immediately. The ones that are bad are bad immediately. If Taco is going to be good I'd bet on it showing quickly rather than in 2 years.
Most players make their biggest leap between year 1 and 2.

fishspill

Reaction score
rumor was that Marrinelli was sure that Bosa was not really that good and that had an effect.
Hope that rumor isn't true because that would be a huge miss by Rod. We all miss and I expect the posters on this board to miss big at time, but Rod missing someone that obviously gifted would be scary.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
-----------Weight--Arm length--10 yard split-40 yard --board jump--vertical jump--20 yard shuttle--cone--reps
Bosa------269-----33 3/8------------1.69--------4.86------10'1'-------------31 1/2------------4.21--------------6.89---24
Taco-------277-----34 1/4------------1.63--------4.83------9'7"--------------33-----------------4.39--------------7.17---25
Garrett----272-----35 1/4------------1.64--------4.63------10'6"------------41-----------------------------------------------33

Taco's 10 yard split was from pro day, which was 0.07 faster than in the combine - possibly due to ankle injury. 40 time was also almost 0.1 faster on pro day.
Cone and Shuttle scores were from combine so he could be slightly better in those.
straight line speed doesn't matter much for DEs. unless they are chasing RB from the backside. the shuttle, broad jump and cone are more indicative of their ability to redirect, also have to take into account the first step. or the get off. Suggs had a 4.9 40 but he had that first step that was awesome and put him in position to win battles.

taco reminds me of a better Greg Ellis and if that's what he is, then that's good. this line starting to remind of 90's line with the depth, minus Charles haley. I am anxious to see Malik Collins in his second year. if Crawford can live up to expectations, then that's a nice set of DT to collapse the pocket and that's key.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Hope that rumor isn't true because that would be a huge miss by Rod. We all miss and I expect the posters on this board to miss big at time, but Rod missing someone that obviously gifted would be scary.

i recall a lot of people were down on bosa last year.
though if it came from FO, it could have been misdirection.