Comparing Kellen Moore to other NFC OCs

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Had no idea Leftwich was a coach now

Byron leftwich graduated from the same high school (H.D.woodson) as me. He is a legend down in DC along with Vernon Davis who went to Dunbar high school in dc.

Woodson and Dunbar where strong rivals. Played eachother in the Turkey bowl every year. No other teams were better and got tired of seeing both teams host the big game!

Vernon was in school same time as me. Byron is a little older from back in the day.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Yes, wonder if we have stats on records of OC without any experience ?

Garrett was 13-3 in his first season as OC with only 2 years experience as a QB coach.

Does that mean the QB and talent has more impact on success than the coach?
there you go , a lot of things can help or hurt an OC.
I dont think experience means much.

PhillySpecial

Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to compare our new OC to the rest of the OCs in the NFC in terms of comparing years of NFL coaching experience as well as years of experience as an NFL offensive coordinator. Not surprisingly, Kellen Moore is the least experienced OC in the NFC. I’m certainly NOT saying that means he won’t be successful; I’m just interested in looking at comparative years of experience with the rest of the NFC.

Before getting into the specifics or each NFC OC, here are the stats regarding average years experience for all NFC OCs as an NFL coach, as well as avg years experience as an NFL OC:
  • Average years experience as an NFL coach: 14 years
  • Average years experience as an NFL offensive Coordinator: 6 years
All NFC Coordinators by team with yrs as an NFL coach and as an OC
NFC EAST

• DAL: Kellen Moore- 1 year exp as NFL coach/0 years exp as OC
  • WASH: Kevin O’Connell- 4 yrs as NFL coach/0 years exp as OC
  • PHI: Mike Groh- 6 yrs as NFL coach/1 year as an OC
  • NYG: Mike Shula- 24 years as NFL coach/7 years as an OC
NFC CENTRAL
  • CHI- Mark Helfrich- 2 yrs exp as NFL coach/1 as an OC
  • DET- Darrell Bevell- 17 yrs as NFL coach/12 as an OC
  • GB- Nathaniel Hackett- 11 yrs as an NFL coach/7 as an OC
  • MN- Kevin Stefanski- 15 yrs as NFL coach/7 yrs as an OC
NFC SOUTH
  • ATL- Dirk Koetter- 11 yrs as NFL coach/9 as an OC
  • CAR- Norv Turner- 31 yrs as NFL coach/12 as an OC
  • NO- Pete Carmichael, Jr- 18 yrs as NFL coach/10 as an OC
  • TB- Byron Leftwich- 3 yrs as NFL coach/0 as an OC
NFC WEST
  • ARI- Tom Clements- 20 yrs as NFL coach/5 yrs as an OC
  • LA- (shared) Aaron Cromar- 18 yrs as NFL coach/2 as an OC; Shane Waldron- 5 yrs as NFL coach/0 as an OC
  • SF- Kyle Shanihan- (also serves as HC) 14 yrs exp as NFL coach/9 as an OC
  • SEA- Brian Schoettenheimer-19 years NFL coach/11 as an OC
Of all the NFC OCs, the ones closest to Moore in experience are CHI’s Mark Helfrich, Kevin O’Connell of PHI and Byron Leftwich of TB. All 3 have slightly more experience although it’s minimal with all of them.

We don’t know yet know if Kellen Moore is the next great OC. Being inexperienced is not always an indication of future problems. But we do know, he’s the youngest and least experienced OC in the NFC. For probably many reasons, most teams select an OC with more experience.Im certainly hoping young Kellen Moore is a big success.

I do find it interesting that Moore was selected as OC in a year when our HC is supposedlyin the hot seat.
Your thoughts?

If I counted right, and that's a big if, 10 OCs also have a HC who is offensive minded. That should help the less experienced ones.

I'm too lazy to do it, but it would be interesting to see the experience of the DCs who Moore will be going against this season. hint hint hint

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Kellen Moore has been around football his entire life. Did you forget to add that

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Me either. Amazing that he has two more years experience than Moore.
As usual a well thought out post.

I think you could count his time in the league as a BU QB as experience. It's nol like he was selling farm implements up until this year.

Another thing I noted was some of the lesser experienced OC's were coaches on teams that were playoff teams.

Let's look at another coach whose experience in the league is not an impressively long resume:

Sean McVay (6th year in the league in 2014) - This from WIKI --- "On January 14, 2014, McVay was promoted to offensive coordinator by new Commanders head coach Jay Gruden.[14] In his first year as offensive coordinator, he turned the team's offense into the 12th-ranked pass offense in the NFL—averaging 268.4 passing yards per game with third-year quarterback, Kirk Cousins—the 17th-ranked rush offense, with 97.9 rushing yards per game, and the 10th ranked total offense in the NFL (a year after the team's offense finished ranked 25th in total offense)"

Fo sho, KM, is not Sean Mac but he will have a fresh perspective, an offensive mind, and he has had play design /defensive breakdown experience. Many players (who probably know much more than we do) are enthused about this move. I feel that KM being OC played a part in Witten's return. I think the Cows wanted to make this move last year but KM needed some coaching experience. His job is one of seeing the defense and countering it/influencing it ... its a science and I think the kid has that analytical mind not that dependant on experience but more dependant on analysis (especially on the run/during the game analysis). He couldn't be much worse than our OC in 2018.

Garrett has to let him do his job.

Sydla

Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to compare our new OC to the rest of the OCs in the NFC in terms of comparing years of NFL coaching experience as well as years of experience as an NFL offensive coordinator. Not surprisingly, Kellen Moore is the least experienced OC in the NFC. I’m certainly NOT saying that means he won’t be successful; I’m just interested in looking at comparative years of experience with the rest of the NFC.

Before getting into the specifics or each NFC OC, here are the stats regarding average years experience for all NFC OCs as an NFL coach, as well as avg years experience as an NFL OC:
NFC EAST

NFC CENTRAL
NFC SOUTH
NFC WEST
  • LA- (shared) Aaron Cromar- 18 yrs as NFL coach/2 as an OC; Shane Waldron- 5 yrs as NFL coach/0 as an OC
Of all the NFC OCs, the ones closest to Moore in experience are CHI’s Mark Helfrich, Kevin O’Connell of PHI and Byron Leftwich of TB. All 3 have slightly more experience although it’s minimal with all of them.

We don’t know yet know if Kellen Moore is the next great OC. Being inexperienced is not always an indication of future problems. But we do know, he’s the youngest and least experienced OC in the NFC. For probably many reasons, most teams select an OC with more experience.Im certainly hoping young Kellen Moore is a big success.

I do find it interesting that Moore was selected as OC in a year when our HC is supposedlyin the hot seat.
Your thoughts?

I get that you put a criteria on this when you said NFL coaching experience and NFL OC experience, but a guy like Helfrich is WAY MORE experienced than Moore when you factor in college experience. Helfrich was a head coach at a major P5 program in Oregon for 3 years as well as like 8 years of OC experience at Colorado and Oregon. Moore has ONE YEAR of coaching at any level. Helfrich has over 20.

Sydla

Reaction score
Kellen Moore has been around football his entire life. Did you forget to add that

So has just about every coach in football. That's not some differentiating trait for Kellen Moore.

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
My opinion. If you notice over the years the Cowboys hire from within for the HC position, with the exception of Parcells. If Payton is unavailable and IF Garrett is unsuccessful this year, I think Ricard becomes HC next year, with Moore as the OC.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

NFC EAST

NFC CENTRAL
NFC SOUTH
NFC WEST

Your thoughts?

Good work Bob. Any chance you can do a little digging for success rate of first year OC's, JG aside?

Whyjerry

Reaction score

NFC EAST

NFC CENTRAL
NFC SOUTH
NFC WEST

Your thoughts?

It is ridiculous, no question. Moore is such an outlier, especially for a team that is expected to contend. Either they know something the rest of the world does not or this flames out. We all have heard the stories about how Moore used to draw up plays to dazzle people with. Come on, this is the NFL. This team is built to win right now. Either he is a true prodigy or this might be the dumbest decision in Jerry's tenure (and that is saying something). I also can't believe how much credibility Garrett has lost. When he was hired we were told the man was an offensive genius and QB guru. Now nearly 10 years later his coaching career is dependent on a 30 year old first time offensive coordinator. When you think about it, it makes no sense. Is this another guy that gets to learn on the job? Really? I think the season rests on whether or not Moore is that prodigy.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
It is ridiculous, no question. Moore is such an outlier, especially for a team that is expected to contend. Either they know something the rest of the world does not or this flames out. We all have heard the stories about how Moore used to draw up plays to dazzle people with. Come on, this is the NFL. This team is built to win right now. Either he is a true prodigy or this might be the dumbest decision in Jerry's tenure (and that is saying something). I also can't believe how much credibility Garrett has lost. When he was hired we were told the man was an offensive genius and QB guru. Now nearly 10 years later his coaching career is dependent on a 30 year old first time offensive coordinator. When you think about it, it makes no sense. Is this another guy that gets to learn on the job? Really? I think the season rests on whether or not Moore is that prodigy.

Yep, Moore is the big bang theory. You either buy it or you don't.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I get that you put a criteria on this when you said NFL coaching experience and NFL OC experience, but a guy like Helfrich is WAY MORE experienced than Moore when you factor in college experience. Helfrich was a head coach at a major P5 program in Oregon for 3 years as well as like 8 years of OC experience at Colorado and Oregon. Moore has ONE YEAR of coaching at any level. Helfrich has over 20.

100% agreed. In addition, Helfrich lead a team through the CFP to the National Championship game (losing to Ohio St. with Zeke as the RB).