CFZ Comparing The Head Coaches JJ has hired

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry is still trying to prove to himself what he told Jimmy that drove the wedge between them. Jimmy made allot of the decisions and was super successful, Just super bowl wins wasn't good enough for ole Jerrah he wanted all the credit for the winning, problem is he cant do it and wont take credit for the losing. Fact is we are doomed to failure, mediocracy and an occasional ray of sunshine and hope for the rest of Jerrah's days

Big_D

Reaction score
Guess I've seen 'em all now.
Pro and anti Dak groups.
Even a Jerry support family.

But was not aware of the negative Jimmy crowd 'til now.

Wow.

Free country and all I guess.

Anything to give Jerry credit. It’s pretty comical. Even make stuff up. Somehow Jimmy wouldn’t be able to cut it in the salary cap era like Jerry hasn’t sucked at it for nearly 30 years! lol

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But I think that was more of Jimmy not wanting to run Marino off. But that may be just me.

I lived in South Florida at that time. It was more like, Jimmy wanted to trade Marino, hoping for a Herschel Walker type trade.
Can’t remember if Joe Robbie or may have Wayne Huzeinga owned them said absolutely not.

That was a strong local media vibe anyway.

and fans here claim Jerry meddles.

Big_D

Reaction score
Second worst behind Dave Campo but to be fair to Dave he didn't have much talent on that roster, nor a QB..

To be fair? lol The Campo years talentwise were a complete Jerry nightmare that he had no idea how to fix. Which is exactly why Parcells got the call.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of course this completely ignores what the coach inherited. Parcells took over a laughing stock. Maybe the worst team in the league. Fat Wade took over a young playoff contender.

For as great as Jimmy was I'm not sure he could have done what Bill did here. Jimmy had full personnel control. Jerry was a non issue while he was dealing with the financial recovery of the franchise. Bill had to rebuild that mess while working with and massaging the egos of the lunatic and his incompetent son. You'll never convince me his time here was a failure. He left us much, much better off.
And that’s really a good measurement of Mgmt or coaching. Are you in a better place when they left than when they arrived?

There’s only been 3 HC’s in Jethro era who have left the Cowboys with more talent in better position than when they took over. Jimmy, Bill and Jason.

Big_D

Reaction score
And that’s really a good measurement of Mgmt or coaching. Are you in a better place when they left than when they arrived?

There’s only been 3 HC’s in Jethro era who have left the Cowboys with more talent in better position than when they took over. Jimmy, Bill and Jason.

That’s hilarious trying to include Garrett like 2019 was better than 2011. That’s quite a stretch even with a decade to do it like he wasn’t a major part of that train wreck in 2010! lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The best run in this post 90’s Dynasty era was 2014-2018 where we won 3 division titles. And were on the brink of breaking thru to our 1st championship appearance.

Only one other time this era have been that close. 2007

The rest of this era has basically been a total waste.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s hilarious trying to include Garrett like 2019 was better than 2011. That’s quite a stretch even with a decade to do it like he wasn’t a major part of that train wreck in 2010! lol
It took him 3 years to rebuild it. And I’d argue 2014 was perhaps the best team in the last 15 years. A catch that wasn’t from a championship appearance.

If we’d of broke thru in any season from 2014-2018 divisional round history could have been written much different for Garrett.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Garrett also had 3 straight win and in season ending games. Of course lost all 3.
Then later on he had another win and in, and lost, it may have been 2 more, can’t recall right now.

Anyway that is pretty bad on top of everything else.
After his 3 straight 8-8 and win and in losses he should have been fired then.

Jerry is his own worst enemy on that loyalty. I think this was more when the real frustration set in for the fans.
JJ great failing is poor talent evaluation.Garrett was prime example. I think JJ saw Garrett as a copy of Sean Paton the HC who got away. All the lite weights JJ hired for what

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jimmy didn’t do a bad job in Miami. He didn’t reach a Super Bowl, but he did better than many of you give him credit for. He walked in to a salary cap problem and he left Miami with a great defense. He was there for four seasons and the team was in much better shape when he left there than it was when he arrived.
The dolphins these days would love to get what Jimmy gave them. He didn’t win a SB but he wasn’t even close to being a failure either.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many of those 8 coaches would have been hired by other teams? Jimmy, Parcells obviously. Gailey was hired by the bills. But the other 5? Garrett can’t even keep a coordinators position. Campo was never a HC again at any level.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Of course this completely ignores what the coach inherited. Parcells took over a laughing stock. Maybe the worst team in the league. Fat Wade took over a young playoff contender.

For as great as Jimmy was I'm not sure he could have done what Bill did here. Jimmy had full personnel control. Jerry was a non issue while he was dealing with the financial recovery of the franchise. Bill had to rebuild that mess while working with and massaging the egos of the lunatic and his incompetent son. You'll never convince me his time here was a failure. He left us much, much better off.
1000% agree!!

Flamma

Reaction score
It took him 3 years to rebuild it. And I’d argue 2014 was perhaps the best team in the last 15 years. A catch that wasn’t from a championship appearance.

If we’d of broke thru in any season from 2014-2018 divisional round history could have been written much different for Garrett.

I agree. But don't forget there was over 4 minutes left in that game. The game was still far from over whether they give that catch to Dez or not. But that was one of our best teams.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
How many of those 8 coaches would have been hired by other teams? Jimmy, Parcells obviously. Gailey was hired by the bills. But the other 5? Garrett can’t even keep a coordinators position. Campo was never a HC again at any level.

The bigger point here is the Cowboys are a dead end for HC careers in the NFL since Jimmy. Even Gailey had to go to Ga Tech for almost a decade before given another chance in Buffalo.

The Cowboys have become a job only for washed up retired coaches or puppets. It’s the least attractive job in the NFL.

Last edited:

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

All you have to say is Quincy Carter, nothing else needs to be said after that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Since when do we start blaming asst coaches for HC results?

No, it was Wade the team quit on not Jason. Who when he took over led them to a 5-3 record after the 1-7 start.