CFZ Comparing The Head Coaches JJ has hired

BobSacamano

Reaction score
Garrett…the next Landry.

So glad the noteworthy posters who espoused that belief constantly are nowhere to be seen.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Second worst behind Dave Campo but to be fair to Dave he didn't have much talent on that roster, nor a QB..

Campo was handed a bag of turds but he knew more about football then the hapless Garrett. Given the talent that Garrett had, I have no doubt Campo does more with it.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
So you are saying no other cowboys got their payday besides Sanders?
No - you said "Jimmy benefited from no cap and Jerry's money" - implying that Jerry was able to go on a spending spree and bring in some high priced free agents.

Yes players got paid but that wasn't unique to the Cowboys cause of "Jerry's money" before '93- the free agency we have now - Owners had basically total control of the player, the only leverage a player had was to sit out like Emmitt did.

Eventually they came to an agreement like every other team with star players.

Those SB teams benefited from Jimmy and his staff's hard work, great drafting, great trades and discipline.

CWR

Reaction score
I think you are giving barry too much credit. We all know all he did was stalk the sideline and let Jimmy's players do what Jimmy taught them to do. Hell, the man was 7 years retired and never set foot on an NFL sideline when Jerry handed him the reigns to Jimmy's well oiled machine.

Parcels deserves more credit. He inherited Campos mess and turned that into a playoff team methodically rebuilding the roster. He did so well that he even made Jason Garret look good for awhile.

I always felt I could've coached em to a championship with that roster and their prior coaching still ingrained.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No - you said "Jimmy benefited from no cap and Jerry's money" - implying that Jerry was able to go on a spending spree and bring in some high priced free agents.

Yes players got paid but that wasn't unique to the Cowboys cause of "Jerry's money" before '93- the free agency we have now - Owners had basically total control of the player, the only leverage a player had was to sit out like Emmitt did.

Eventually they came to an agreement like every other team with star players.

Those SB teams benefited from Jimmy and his staff's hard work, great drafting, great trades and discipline.
No.... I never specified "free agents". You are making that part up.

I do know Jerry's favorite players...the stars...got PAID. Mkay?

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
he didnt buy super bowls. he got deion for big money at the time but, I dont remember anyone else...? They got their talent through draft and trades. Oh and there is one thing that alot of people dont talk about. With Jimmy, if you were going to play in Dallas, you were expected to produce at a high level. There was that aura. Average players from other teams came to Dallas and produced. Alot like Bellicheck and NE in the past 20 years. If you are going to NE to play, you know what you are getting into. Dallas had that back then. Jimmy wouldve cut you. Jerry extends you.
That was a myth. Jimmy cut bottom of the roster guys just like every other coach who has ever coached. Name one good player (ie starter) that he cut during any season he coached. I don't remember any. Guys got moved during off seasons, again, just like with every team. But it is a myth that he cut guys on the spot for not producing.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
No.... I never specified "free agents". You are making that part up.

I do know Jerry's favorite players...the stars...got PAID. Mkay?
I did say "implying", which that statement does do imo.

Either way I've seen many people talk about Jerry's money like that gave Jimmy some kind of edge over other teams, which it didn't, Buffalo had many stars back then...Jim Kelly, Thurman, Ed Reed, Bruce Smith ect - they all got paid - Players and the team were tied to each other in those days.

Now it was a "perfect storm" of great picks, trades, asst coaches, scouts and hard work - it would have been difficult to keep reproducing the same results time after time, hence why no coach has ever won a SB with 2 different teams.

After all is said and done, I'm pretty sure most would agree that between Jimmy and Jerry - Jimmy deserves the VAST majority of the credit for building those SB teams...

Kingofholland

Reaction score
It's still puzzling to me how Garrett lasted 9.5 seasons while some of these other guys lasted 1/3 that. Garrett should have been let go after that 3rd 8-8 season in 2013. Chan Gailey had 1 8-8 season with a declining team and a lot of bad draft picks. Garrett had a pretty talented roster for most of his time in Dallas.

basel90

Reaction score
Jimmy could not pull it off in Miami under the salary cap.

It is a mystery how Jimmy failed at Miami ( 36-28 record) , 2-3 in playoffs. Some of the losses were massive . Salary cap and maybe he was tired .

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
  • Bill Parcells- 4 seasons, 34-30 reg season record, 0-2 in the playoffs, made playoffs in 2/4 seasons. (Parcells is a HOF Coach, but mostly based on time with other teams)
Parcells left us a Contender. I think the schemes of the league had passed him by, but was still sharp strategically. Another missed opportunity for Almost Anthony. A different career for him if Parcells or Peyton has stayed to provide guidance.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did say "implying", which that statement does do imo.

Either way I've seen many people talk about Jerry's money like that gave Jimmy some kind of edge over other teams, which it didn't, Buffalo had many stars back then...Jim Kelly, Thurman, Ed Reed, Bruce Smith ect - they all got paid - Players and the team were tied to each other in those days.

Now it was a "perfect storm" of great picks, trades, asst coaches, scouts and hard work - it would have been difficult to keep reproducing the same results time after time, hence why no coach has ever won a SB with 2 different teams.

After all is said and done, I'm pretty sure most would agree that between Jimmy and Jerry - Jimmy deserves the VAST majority of the credit for building those SB teams...
So which team ...in your opinion...at that time wrote big checks to the players?

Again....I NEVER said...let alone "IMPLIED"....it was JUST "free agents" not sure where you get off on that....quite insulting to watch to you cling to that....my case was ALWAYS about the flow of money...from the (at THIS time! hindsight)) "cheap" purchase to hiring Jimmy to keeping star players....to yes even signing FAs/trades like Sanders and Ken Norton Jr ( you forgot him didn't ya?)

It could be I am wrong. It could be other owners were already known for overpaying players...being held hostage for contracts (emmitt smith). It could be I am wrong that the NFL enacted the cap largley in part to Dallas Cowboys market power.

You give me the numbers then. You are the one that objects the hardest...so tell us all how I am wrong about this with specific facts.

If you are asking ME to prove what I claim....I FREELY admit I am going by VERY popular consensus which YOU freely admit...is "a thing". So educate us all. Tell us how other teams spent so much more than Jwerry. Tell us what other teams effected the NNFL's decision to bring in the cap WAY more than Dallas.

Since you object so stroingly...it should be easy...very easy to prove your case.

LOOK....sorry Jerry scarred you SO HARD! the last 25 year. But it was Jimmy and Jerry together that succeeded. Each on their own...did not. You will sleep better if you accept it.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is a mystery how Jimmy failed at Miami ( 36-28 record) , 2-3 in playoffs. Some of the losses were massive . Salary cap and maybe he was tired .
Not a mystery at all. Jerry set the stage. Jimmy acted miraculously on it.

Miami was not a place that set the stage. Very few teams back then...were. Niners? Would Jimmy succeeded there? What other team would Jimmy have succeeded? We know NCAA coached have extremely limited success in the NFL even to this day. So...what was it?

If we just accept it was Jimmy and Jerry TOGETHER......each one playing their separate part....it's easy.

Jerry proved he can;t coach Cowboys to a Super Bowl....and Jimmy...in his limited time...proved he couldn't GM/Owner his way to a Super bowl.

Not sure why this is a "mystery". Just give the credit.....free yourself.

links18

Reaction score
It's still puzzling to me how Garrett lasted 9.5 seasons while some of these other guys lasted 1/3 that. Garrett should have been let go after that 3rd 8-8 season in 2013. Chan Gailey had 1 8-8 season with a declining team and a lot of bad draft picks. Garrett had a pretty talented roster for most of his time in Dallas.

Aikman got Gailey fired, probably because he did things like having Jeff Ogden replace Michael Irvin on 3rd down.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
Did Jerry get into the HoF based on his GM skills or ownership skills? Asking for a friend.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
So which team ...in your opinion...at that time wrote big checks to the players?

Again....I NEVER said...let alone "IMPLIED"....it was JUST "free agents" not sure where you get off on that....quite insulting to watch to you cling to that....my case was ALWAYS about the flow of money...from the (at THIS time! hindsight)) "cheap" purchase to hiring Jimmy to keeping star players....to yes even signing FAs/trades like Sanders and Ken Norton Jr ( you forgot him didn't ya?)

It could be I am wrong. It could be other owners were already known for overpaying players...being held hostage for contracts (emmitt smith). It could be I am wrong that the NFL enacted the cap largley in part to Dallas Cowboys market power.

You give me the numbers then. You are the one that objects the hardest...so tell us all how I am wrong about this with specific facts.

If you are asking ME to prove what I claim....I FREELY admit I am going by VERY popular consensus which YOU freely admit...is "a thing". So educate us all. Tell us how other teams spent so much more than Jwerry. Tell us what other teams effected the NNFL's decision to bring in the cap WAY more than Dallas.

Since you object so stroingly...it should be easy...very easy to prove your case.

LOOK....sorry Jerry scarred you SO HARD! the last 25 year. But it was Jimmy and Jerry together that succeeded. Each on their own...did not. You will sleep better if you accept it.
Here ya go...
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/34815255/1992-nfl-player-salaries-by-team/

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1993-08-19-1993231003-story.html

As you can see the Boys were about 19th in salary in the 91-92 season, in the second link written in Aug '93 they were 26th...

And you can see that generally the best players by position got the biggest contracts regardless of team, and just the way it was I'm sure when Airman's and Emmitts contract came up they were also the top paid at there positions cause they were arguably the best.

As for Ken Norton - we drafted him and actually lost him to SF in free agency before the '94 season.