CFZ Comparing The Head Coaches JJ has hired

Diehardblues

Reaction score
How Bill made the playoffs with the team he had was insanity
Yep 2003 was the best coaching job we’ve seen in Dallas since Jimmy. But Bill did inherit a few defensive players. Still the highest ranking Cowboys defense since 90’s dynasty. Good enough to take Quincy to the playoffs.

Bill resurrected us from 5-11 funk but the mistake he made was not drafting a QB trying to bring in old washed up guys. By the time Romo came on he was frustrated with Jethros meddling and undermining his authority.

Last edited:

eromeopolk

Reaction score
In the 33 seasons Jerry Jones has owned the Cowboys, he has hired 8 different head coaches. The combined regular season records of those 33 seasons is 285-240 (.542) and has qualified for the playoffs 16 of 33 seasons, with a 15-13 playoff record, and 3 SB titles. Amazingly, 12 of those 15 playoff wins were won from 1991-96. In the period of 1997-2022, the playoff record is 3-10.

Looking at the 8 HCs Jerry has hired, it’s clear: The first one he hired was the best. Jimmy Johnson won 7 of the 15 playoff games in the Jerry era, more than any other HC under Jerry, and that was in 5 years. Barry Switzer won 5 playoff games, but we all know, those wins were mostly with players Jimmy drafted and developed.

So let’s look closer at the 8 head coaches and how they have done:
  • Jimmy Johnson: 5 seasons, 2 SB titles, 44-36 reg season record, 7-1 playoff record, made playoffs 3/5 seasons as HC. HOF COACH.
  • Barry Switzer: 4 seasons, 1 SB title, 40-24 reg season record, 5-2 playoff record, made playoffs 3/4 seasons as HC.
  • Chan Gailey- 2 seasons, 18-14 reg season record, 0-2 playoff record, made playoffs 2/2 seasons.
  • Dave Campo- 3 seasons, 15-33 reg season record, never made the playoffs in 3 seasons.
  • Bill Parcells- 4 seasons, 34-30 reg season record, 0-2 in the playoffs, made playoffs in 2/4 seasons. (Parcells is a HOF Coach, but mostly based on time with other teams)
  • Wade Phillips- 3.5 seasons, 34-22 reg season record, 1-2 in playoffs, made playoffs in 2/3.5 seasons.
  • Jason Garrett- 9.5 seasons, 85-67 reg season record, 2-3 in playoffs, made playoffs 3/9.5 seasons.
  • Mike McCarthy- 2 seasons, 18-15 reg season record, 0-1 in l,ayoffs, made playoffs 1/2 seasons.
Conclusions:
  • Jimmy was clearly the best HC Jerry ever hired. He won nearly half of the total playoff wins the team has had under Jerry.
  • Between Jimmy and Barry S, the Cowboys won 12 of the 15 playoff games the team has won under Jerry.
  • It still amazes me that Jason Garrett only made the playoffs 3 times in his 9.5 seasons here as HC. That’s terrible. What other NFL team would have kept a HC that long?
  • Of the 7 guys who are “former Cowboys HCs”, only Jimmy and Chan Gailey ever got another NFL head coaching gig. Parcells of course retired and so did Barry.
  • Being a HC under Jerry Jones has not been an attractive HC re-hire after leaving Dallas.
Jerry Jones wife said "he can't leave well enough alone". He fired Jimmy, held on to Switzer to long, did not give Gailey Randy Moss, thought that Campo the Clown was Jimmy Johnson return of the 90's, ran off Parcells, hired a HC of offense and HC of defense Jason the Clapper Garret and Winnie the Pooh the Son of a Bum, and now you have a guy that was fired and living in his basement that said he watch every NFL play, Arlington Jonesboys "are what they are"

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
In the 33 seasons Jerry Jones has owned the Cowboys, he has hired 8 different head coaches. The combined regular season records of those 33 seasons is 285-240 (.542) and has qualified for the playoffs 16 of 33 seasons, with a 15-13 playoff record, and 3 SB titles. Amazingly, 12 of those 15 playoff wins were won from 1991-96. In the period of 1997-2022, the playoff record is 3-10.

Looking at the 8 HCs Jerry has hired, it’s clear: The first one he hired was the best. Jimmy Johnson won 7 of the 15 playoff games in the Jerry era, more than any other HC under Jerry, and that was in 5 years. Barry Switzer won 5 playoff games, but we all know, those wins were mostly with players Jimmy drafted and developed.

• Jimmy Johnson: 5 seasons, 2 SB titles, 44-36 reg season record, 7-1 playoff record, made playoffs 3/5 seasons as HC. HOF COACH.
  • Barry Switzer: 4 seasons, 1 SB title, 40-24 reg season record, 5-2 playoff record, made playoffs 3/4 seasons as HC.
  • Chan Gailey- 2 seasons, 18-14 reg season record, 0-2 playoff record, made playoffs 2/2 seasons.
  • Dave Campo- 3 seasons, 15-33 reg season record, never made the playoffs in 3 seasons.
  • Bill Parcells- 4 seasons, 34-30 reg season record, 0-2 in the playoffs, made playoffs in 2/4 seasons. (Parcells is a HOF Coach, but mostly based on time with other teams)
  • Wade Phillips- 3.5 seasons, 34-22 reg season record, 1-2 in playoffs, made playoffs in 2/3.5 seasons.
  • Jason Garrett- 9.5 seasons, 85-67 reg season record, 2-3 in playoffs, made playoffs 3/9.5 seasons.
  • Mike McCarthy- 2 seasons, 18-15 reg season record, 0-1 in l,ayoffs, made playoffs 1/2 seasons.
Conclusions:
  • Jimmy was clearly the best HC Jerry ever hired. He won nearly half of the total playoff wins the team has had under Jerry.
  • Between Jimmy and Barry S, the Cowboys won 12 of the 15 playoff games the team has won under Jerry.
  • It still amazes me that Jason Garrett only made the playoffs 3 times in his 9.5 seasons here as HC. That’s terrible. What other NFL team would have kept a HC that long?
  • Of the 7 guys who are “former Cowboys HCs”, only Jimmy and Chan Gailey ever got another NFL head coaching gig. Parcells of course retired and so did Barry.
  • Being a HC under Jerry Jones has not been an attractive HC re-hire after leaving Dallas.
Nice summary,
Appreciate the effort putting this together.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Chan Gailey took over when the wheels were coming off. NFL parity rules started kicking in and the dynasty was done.

Dave Campo oversaw the wheels completely falling off. Clearly a bad hire.

Parcells had cleanup duty and did well all things considered. I think he might have competed for a Super Bowl had he lasted another season or two.

Wade Philips always seemed to have a short shelf life as a coach wherever he was.

I honestly don’t know what to say about Jason Garrett. I liked the hire at first. It did not work out, though. Poor Romo.

I guess Mike McCarthy should be given his full term whatever that turns out to be. He seems more like the coaches that did not have success in Dallas than he does the ones who did.

Agree on Parcells. He had to waste some time on Quincy Carter to figure out that he couldn't be good enough to get the job done, and not all his other moves were perfect, but he was putting it together, especially after finding the QB he needed. The team he left initially benefited from Wade's defensive scheme, but it needed Parcells' discipline and direction.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Garrett was the absolute master of excuses. Dude had 9 lives.

It was a trick the Joneses couldn't figure out. Suck for a year, then have an NFC East-winning year while playing a weak schedule. Made them think he could coach offense.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
how? The team in 1992 had the 20th ranked team salary! let’s stop pretending like he bought those championships. Niners were far and away the #1 team salary at the time and the reason there’s a salary cap in the first place!
yeah back then jerry did not have the money he has now. He was just trying to keep the cowboys making money at the time.
he didnt want to pay emmitt at first.
So to say his money had a role is a farce.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think we're in the same boat. Everyone says Jimmy won those SB's. I contend then he should have won in Miami.

It is apparent Jimmy benefitted by no cap and Jerry's money, as much as Jerry benefitted by Jimmy's coaching acumen.
jimmy did win those SB's, thats why he is in HOF .
Thats why his players showed up to support him.

In miami, he didnt have the walker type deal to help him get a bunch of draft picks.
I dont know what they did 1st season, but I doubt they had the # 1 pick like he did after the 89 season.
Those 2 things helped jimmy build the dallas team quickly, he didnt have that in miami.

he was also stuck with marino, not a new young qb to work with.
he also didnt have a norv turner for OC, or dave W for DC

and jimmy had already done what he set out to do in dallas, after that he lost intensity and motivation too.
He took the miami job only because it was close to home, a smarter move would have been to choose another team where not a lot is needed,
but he wanted to work close to home which shows he wasnt that motivated anymore. It was just a job, and he probably had a inflated ego himself
after what he did in dallas, and that made him think he could do it anywhere.

he did get the defense built, and then his mother died , and that led to him retiring. Had he stayed 4 more years he might have won a SB there.

jerrys money? had nothing to do with jimmy winning in dallas, it did cost them 2 games in 93 when jerry refused to pay emmitt lol.

jimmy was making all sorts of moves all the time in dallas, that helped him build the team, he made a lot of trades, drafted good , and made good decisions.
Imagine if he kept walsh over aikman, or traded irvin for picks.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont know how this ever became a thing - please name all these big ticket free agents Jerry got....Sanders and who else?

And we won 2 Super Bowls - should have been 3 in a row - BEFORE Deion ever got here.

The vast majority of the team was drafted, traded for or were plan B free agents (guys that were kinda nobodies.)
So you are saying no other cowboys got their payday besides Sanders?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jimmy did win those SB's, thats why he is in HOF .
Thats why his players showed up to support him.

In miami, he didnt have the walker type deal to help him get a bunch of draft picks.
I dont know what they did 1st season, but I doubt they had the # 1 pick like he did after the 89 season.
Those 2 things helped jimmy build the dallas team quickly, he didnt have that in miami.

he was also stuck with marino, not a new young qb to work with.
he also didnt have a norv turner for OC, or dave W for DC

and jimmy had already done what he set out to do in dallas, after that he lost intensity and motivation too.
He took the miami job only because it was close to home, a smarter move would have been to choose another team where not a lot is needed,
but he wanted to work close to home which shows he wasnt that motivated anymore. It was just a job, and he probably had a inflated ego himself
after what he did in dallas, and that made him think he could do it anywhere.

he did get the defense built, and then his mother died , and that led to him retiring. Had he stayed 4 more years he might have won a SB there.

jerrys money? had nothing to do with jimmy winning in dallas, it did cost them 2 games in 93 when jerry refused to pay emmitt lol.

jimmy was making all sorts of moves all the time in dallas, that helped him build the team, he made a lot of trades, drafted good , and made good decisions.
Imagine if he kept walsh over aikman, or traded irvin for picks.
Again....if Jimmy was such a great coach he would have overcame the horrendously debilitating obstacles you claim.

Now...let me take a moment to clarify...Jimmy WAS a great coach. A very good manager of the team and players and games and plays and all of it.

But one very simply MUST acknowledge it was done with Jerry and never anywhere else.

And having said that...Jerry didn't really do it with anyone else either...right? Switzer still had Jimmy's team...and probably screwed up a 4-peat.

I am able to acknowledge both parts. It's not that hard.

Acheman08

Reaction score
it doesn't matter who he hires, he can't buy super bowls as he use to before the salary cap.
he didnt buy super bowls. he got deion for big money at the time but, I dont remember anyone else...? They got their talent through draft and trades. Oh and there is one thing that alot of people dont talk about. With Jimmy, if you were going to play in Dallas, you were expected to produce at a high level. There was that aura. Average players from other teams came to Dallas and produced. Alot like Bellicheck and NE in the past 20 years. If you are going to NE to play, you know what you are getting into. Dallas had that back then. Jimmy wouldve cut you. Jerry extends you.

Last edited:

Acheman08

Reaction score
Again....if Jimmy was such a great coach he would have overcame the horrendously debilitating obstacles you claim.

Now...let me take a moment to clarify...Jimmy WAS a great coach. A very good manager of the team and players and games and plays and all of it.

But one very simply MUST acknowledge it was done with Jerry and never anywhere else.

And having said that...Jerry didn't really do it with anyone else either...right? Switzer still had Jimmy's team...and probably screwed up a 4-peat.

I am able to acknowledge both parts. It's not that hard.
The coaches arent out their playing, so while they do have a big hand in it, if you dont have the same talent level, you wont get the same results. I thought Jimmy did pretty well in MIA but obviously didnt have a cash cow of draft picks like he did in dallas. Had marino been a bit younger, i couldve seen him trying to trade him to get draft capital.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Parcells took a dog crap culture and roster and whipped it into shape. Jerry ran him out too early but he handed Wade a great opportunity that he promptly ruined. That 2007 team had a shot. Wade was awful. Then of course Garrett ruined a generation.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Of course this completely ignores what the coach inherited. Parcells took over a laughing stock. Maybe the worst team in the league. Fat Wade took over a young playoff contender.

For as great as Jimmy was I'm not sure he could have done what Bill did here. Jimmy had full personnel control. Jerry was a non issue while he was dealing with the financial recovery of the franchise. Bill had to rebuild that mess while working with and massaging the egos of the lunatic and his incompetent son. You'll never convince me his time here was a failure. He left us much, much better off.

100% agree on Parcells. Cowboys were a joke with Dave Campo and GM Jerry making some of the worst moves in NFL history. Parcels took an absolute train wreck and built them to a playoff team in a short turn around. The only reason Jerrah decided to hire a real coach at that time was to get a new stadium. Money is the only thing that motivates Jerrah.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Conclusions:

I think you are giving barry too much credit. We all know all he did was stalk the sideline and let Jimmy's players do what Jimmy taught them to do. Hell, the man was 7 years retired and never set foot on an NFL sideline when Jerry handed him the reigns to Jimmy's well oiled machine.

Parcels deserves more credit. He inherited Campos mess and turned that into a playoff team methodically rebuilding the roster. He did so well that he even made Jason Garret look good for awhile.

DonaldM

Reaction score
JJ had no salary cap.......the rest sucked.....Parcells had a name but just wanted a paycheck
Parcels only wanted a paycheck? Come on Ranching. If Romo didn't screw the snap we had a chance at a Superbowl with a bunch of hasbeens. That's good coaching.