Competition committee considering making pass interference reviewable

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I think they should have a referee team off site watching every play in real time that has the power to call in and either make or overturn a call based on replay.

I am fine with coaches having the ability to challenge calls as well— would not give more than 3 a game— but the NFL simply needs to sort out officiating as it is compromising the integrity of the game

erod

Reaction score
My cynical meter is going nuts.

Los Angeles is trying to build a stadium and a fan base in a market the league has never conquered.

Boston is a huge market with a historic franchise on a run like we've never seen.

Or would you rather have Kansas City and New Orleans?

I'm just saying. We know what the front office wanted.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
I'm in favor of being able to challenge penalties.
I'm not in favor of being able to challenge for penalties.

Batman1980

Reaction score
My cynical meter is going nuts.

Los Angeles is trying to build a stadium and a fan base in a market the league has never conquered.

Boston is a huge market with a historical franchise.

Or would you rather have Kansas City and New Orleans?

I'm just saying.

LA is a basketball/baseball town.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've said it before and I'll say it again. They need to make EVERY play reviewable. Same limit on challenges as in the current system and same rules if you have two successful challenges.
^This. The technology is already in place. Utilize it. I rather watch extended games called correctly than 'appropriately long' games getting screwed over.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Lol. Still gonna have bad and missed calls. Teams will use the challenge flag and there will be a even worse call later in the game and they will have no flags left or something like that. Teams will still get shafted. The non call last night was unreal and wouldn’t have been a ticky tack call. It was just blown so bad.

The refs see it on the replay like that and they should be able to throw a flag at that point. That would have been acceptable for that situation. It was shown on every big screen in the stadium. They could clearly see it was missed.

Most PI calls are judgment calls. The calls are close and could go either way it all depends on the official and their judgment. What happened in the Saints game was a complete missed noncall that was obvious to everyone. It came at a critical time in the game. Replay would have made it a penalty. You’re not going to use replay for every tick tacky PI call. It has to be an obvious blown call or non on call that a coach feels is important enough to challenge it.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Saints got hosed for sure, but adding more and more things to replay is a bad idea. Adding penalties to the list is a slippery slope the NFL needs to avoid. NFL teams have gotten hosed one way or another by the refs throughout the history of the NFL and its just something that is part of the game.

I feel the reason we are seeing more and more bad calls is because of replay and a bloated rule book. These guys are no longer officiating on gut instinct. Instead of looking for basic infractions, they are also having to look for all these different nuances associated with each infraction.

Make officiating a full time job, quit messing with the rules book, and keep replay simple.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Saints got hosed for sure, but adding more and more things to replay is a bad idea. Adding penalties to the list is a slippery slope the NFL needs to avoid. NFL teams have gotten hosed one way or another by the refs throughout the history of the NFL and its just something that is part of the game.

I feel the reason we are seeing more and more bad calls is because of replay and a bloated rule book. These guys are no longer officiating on gut instinct. Instead of looking for basic infractions, they are also having to look for all these different nuances associated with each infraction.

Make officiating a full time job, quit messing with the rules book, and keep replay simple.

That's what I would do. Go through the rule book, streamline it, properly train refs and make it easier for them to make split second judgment calls so less mistakes are made.

JustChip

Reaction score
If they make them reviewable by using the challenge system, it will not add to time delays.
But do not make every one reviewable. Keep them with the current challenge rules. Or each team can have an additional challenge specifically for PI.

Spot on. This is the easy solution. I would add 1 challenge, let everything other than a few exceptions, be reviewable. The exceptions would be things like in the grasp that hosed us against the Rams. The problem with that is they blew the whistle so everything after that would be moot.

TX_Yid

Reaction score
I think they should have a referee team off site watching every play in real time that has the power to call in and either make or overturn a call based on replay.

I am fine with coaches having the ability to challenge calls as well— would not give more than 3 a game— but the NFL simply needs to sort out officiating as it is compromising the integrity of the game

This just seems like common sense to me. Let the zebras on the field make the calls, but another group watching replays can over rule if there is something that is blatantly missed.

JustChip

Reaction score

You make good points.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
I agree they should be included in the challenge system. The problem for the Saints is that Peyton would have probably burned through all of his by the time that play occurred and been unable to challenge it.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Well,if it's not going to be addressed & rectified, it's a rather pointless endeavor in even playing the F*****' game & that's the simple facts of the cold hard trutho_O

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Accepting human error (as it relates to refs) as “just part of the game” is fundamentally wrong.

The game should be decided by what occurs between whistles by the players. If a flag has been erroneously thrown then the mistake should be corrected by review.

The more error you remove from the game the more resolute fans/teams can feel about the end result of the game.

The Saints were obviously crushed by a blatant missed/non-call. The Pats benefitted from a horrible phantom blow-to-the-head/unnecessary roughing call.

These plays should be reviewable.

Last edited:

sdfidaho

Reaction score
Games are gonna take longer. Guess it depends on how they do it.

Like holding it probly happens most pass plays.

My first thought when I saw this...4 hour games the further we go down this rabbit hole.
I am for reviews. I just wish the NFL had refs that were competent in their job.

JustChip

Reaction score
Or refs could just do their dang jobs.

That's the thing about the non-call in the Saints game. It really, really wasn't close or debatable. Apparently, the only individuals on the face of the earth that didn't see that were the 7 wearing zebra shirts in New Orleans. Obviously, with the assignment of specific responsibilities, not every official would see it. But I have full faith that more than one did. The head referee should've challenged the one making the call.

Reaction score
To me, this is the dumbest part of replay.

So a referee squad could make 20 of the worst calls in NFL history in a single game, and a coach can only fix 3 of them?

The whole system is just stupid.

Yeah but that's why the coaches should pick their shots and use them in 4th quarter

Silly

Reaction score
Not a bad idea. Brady got a first down on that BS roughing call. We will never know if that play cost KC the super bowl or not. Maybe give the coaches 2 flag reviews a game.