Competition committee considering making pass interference reviewable

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
I think they should have a referee team off site watching every play in real time that has the power to call in and either make or overturn a call based on replay.

I am fine with coaches having the ability to challenge calls as well— would not give more than 3 a game— but the NFL simply needs to sort out officiating as it is compromising the integrity of the game

Right -- integrity has suffered because with modern camera coverage, we see everything that the zebras miss.

Should we just go back to limited technology and see everything only from afar and in real time? That's not how the game became so popular.

We should just continue to embrace instant replay, super slow motion, and instant communication; let a ref in the booth or in New York or Omaha see what we see and stop play for review when appropriate.

College is doing a better job of this than the NFL.

Integrity -- get some.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Funny how it wasn't an issue when Wright nailed Brown and cost us a TD, but now because it happened to the Saints, it is an issue.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Why not 10 ? 5 per game half's,,,but,if the coaches challenge fails,they lose an additional challenge in their existing inventory.

* it's no more further of an "off the wall" kinda' concept in rules as those already existing, most notably being "you win/ you retain",,,o_O

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Great idea until the Cowboys come out on the short end of a call. Then we'll be hearing about how this is "yet another tool designed to keep Dallas down."

People still complain about being "robbed" with the Dez no catch when replay actually did its job.

blumayne38

Reaction score
They need to get rid of referees period and replace them with camera and a staff that watches games and calls penalties from a booth:laugh: we think there is lots of flags now

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I have a fix for two of the biggest problems we see during games:

1) Bad Officiating - Hire and train ex-players to be officials. Make it a full time job and promote the rules by having these officials visit teams and make them aware what calls will be scrutinized and how to prevent getting penalized. Ex-players may have a different perspective on what is a penalty and this would hopefully lead to fewer ticky-tack calls and far less calls on infractions that do not influence the play.

2) Bad Calls - Allow teams to challenge anything they like with their challenge flag. Keep everything else the same. The game won't be any longer and coaches will have the ability to avoid the disaster we saw yesterday in N.O.

Didn't read the sage posts so these improvements may have been communicated.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Source - Rotoworld.com
They already have NFL reviewing players for concussion that they can immediately contact the field and take the player out. It would be easy to review a call or missed call by the official and correct it or enforce it.

It would not delay the game because referees discuss all penalties before enforcing. During that discussion NFL review can contact them and give their input like the referees on the field.

The NFL reviewed the Saints no call but knew it would be the end of the game with enforcing the penalty. You have an NFL stadium being built in LA and a young NFL superstar coach. There was no way the NFL was not going to let LA not go to the Super Bowl when it was one game within reach. Its all about money and the making of more money.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
They don't need replay. They need to really figure out what PI is.. If it is as blatant as that non call was yesterday, it's a penalty. If both players are running down the field, and both are doing a little hand jive. No call on either. Let em play. IF the defender alters the WR /TE / RB/ QB on a route and turns them with their hand(s) at the was or jersey tug, Penalty called. It isn't difficult. NFL just has too many damn rules. Or scenarios of what the rules are.

perrykemp

Reaction score
To me, this is the dumbest part of replay.

So a referee squad could make 20 of the worst calls in NFL history in a single game, and a coach can only fix 3 of them?

The whole system is just stupid.

To not limit the number of challenges would be hard.

For example: There is some form of either 'almost' offensive holding OR real offensive holding on each and every play if you look for it. If the challenges were open-ended, how would you prevent every other play from being reviewed?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Most PI calls are judgment calls. The calls are close and could go either way it all depends on the official and their judgment. What happened in the Saints game was a complete missed noncall that was obvious to everyone. It came at a critical time in the game. Replay would have made it a penalty. You’re not going to use replay for every tick tacky PI call. It has to be an obvious blown call or non on call that a coach feels is important enough to challenge it.
Would have to be limited. Some how.

JustChip

Reaction score
Not a bad idea. Brady got a first down on that BS roughing call. We will never know if that play cost KC the super bowl or not. Maybe give the coaches 2 flag reviews a game.

That was a ridiculous call, but unlike the Saints game, you can't say definitively that KC lost because of that call. Probably the only truly definitive play or call that cost KC the game was the lined up in the neutral zone and that was legit.

And even in the NO game, their decision to not run the ball on 1st down probably made the blown call the factor that it was, if for no other reason. Had they run it, LA probably doesn't have enough time to get in position for a tying FG. No guarantees either way, though.

shabazz

Reaction score
Bad idea. It's going to double the flags and extend the games.

I'm for more review, but with about 1/4 the number of rules in the rulebook.

The NFL needs to stop placating the PC side of this society and be what it is.

The problem with your suggestion is that the NFL is already the embodiment of PC. That ship has sailed away several years ago. The redistribution of funds from Breast Cancer Awareness foundations and Military appreciation endeavors To Social Justice PACs was the straw that broke the camels back when it comes to NFL impartiality.

glimmerman

Reaction score
How about instead of a regular challenge flag, they have a plea, in which they have a few chances to ask the officials to just look at the replay one time from two opposite angles. If it isn't obvious enough the challenge is lost. It would be quick and fair.
I also think in specific times like the saints game when it’s being displayed on every jumbo tron in the stadium that they should be allowed to correct the call or non call. As long as the next snap hasn’t happened. Coaches could then simply use a time out for the refs to see it.

Before then next snap in the saints game they replayed it 50 times on there jumbos. I noticed a few refs looking at it. Lmao. Could you imagine being the ref responsible for that area that was supposed to make that call watching that on the jumbo. Reminds me of that “ever want to get away” commercial.

shabazz

Reaction score
How about instead of a regular challenge flag, they have a plea, in which they have a few chances to ask the officials to just look at the replay one time from two opposite angles. If it isn't obvious enough the challenge is lost. It would be quick and fair.

That common sense approach would be rejected as it makes too much sense from this smug bunch of disconnected elitists

CPanther95

Reaction score
Make penalties reviewable, but it's not practical to allow review to add penalties.

And no limit to the number of challenges, that's idiotic. As long as you have a time out available, you can challenge. If games get too long, train your refs better.

BigD_95

Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again. They need to make EVERY play reviewable. Same limit on challenges as in the current system and same rules if you have two successful challenges.

they need to have the same review as college. Forget the challenges. There should be a ref reviewing every play and call down to field refs if they see something that could be changed.