Competition committee considering making pass interference reviewable

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we must get ever catch and crossing the goal an absolute then we must get these game changing penalties right.

Or stop reviewing them all and stop showing the instant replay.

JPostSam

Reaction score
when millions of people watching at home can see the truth of the situation — and the announcers have to apologize to those millions for the league getting it wrong despite the fact that they have people watching the same 8 angles that we are — it’s a huge problem.

this should *not* be on coaches to throw a flag. the replay officials should clean up this mess on their own.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep
Which is exactly why instant replay was implemented to prevent a bad call from changing the outcome or end someone’s season.

And it failed miserably in New Orleans. That must be rectified. Even if it’s only in 4th qtr.

If not then stop showing instant replay over and over for millions to see the mistake.
Makes you wonder sometimes about the TV nets. They're joined at the hip with the league yet they will hone in on mistakes and run it into the ground.

Can't just do it in the 4Q, have to do it all game long as all plays can be difference makers.

The shame for the NFL is that this overshadows a weekend of games with the two best teams from each conference and it taints the SB because the wrong team is going.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Forget the review, how in the hell do they miss that call? How many eyes were on the WR and DB? Instead of talking about the replay, talk about the horrible officiating this season, the worst I have ever seen.

There is an official with the job of watching the QB, I saw a dozen missed facemask calls this season and about half of them had the QB's head turning at an odd angle.

How many times have you heard this phrase from an analyst? "Well, the refs are letting them play today". The rules are the rules, either the DB is holding or interfering or he's not and that should be standard from crew to crew, game to game.

If they're not going to train these refs any better than that, have a Mother Superior Ref at the games that can review anything he sees that was a missed call or miffed call. That one call affected the outcome and trip to the SB for one team. What if they'd missed the Dee Ford stupidly lining up off sides? Different outcome. The outcome of these games should not be dependent on the missed call of an official.

The NFL is notorious for not getting it right until they've gotten it wrong. What a pathetic excuse for a sports league, that is beyond embarrassing and sure as hell isn't going to quell the thinking that seems to be growing that the fix is in on some of these games.

F the NFL and F the SB.
BAWAAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

:lmao:LMAO:lmao:

* Right-0n, C-C, Right-0n!
:thumbup:

glimmerman

Reaction score
That's great for the home team, but if there's a call that might work in favor of the visitors, the big screen may not show the play. :grin:
In order for the rule to be intact then it would need to be mandatory to replay the last play until the next snap has taken place. But it could mess with the stadiums money. I am sure companies pay money to have there advertising on the jumbo during the game.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we must get ever catch and crossing the goal an absolute then we must get these game changing penalties right.

Or stop reviewing them all and stop showing the instant replay.
Yep, it's all or nothing and their fear that the longer games with lose audience should be balanced that fans do not want the refs controlling the outcome of the game.

The league should have responded today with that crew done with officiating NFL games. Their incompetence ruined that game for the fans and this is a SB that should have an * beside it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
They need to do something but stopping the game and reviewing the play is not the answer.

These refs make enough bad calls because they can lean on replay..

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Wouldnt have helped the Saints yesterday overcome an historically unjust non-call.
I understand that it would help in certain situations but I feel that pass interference is similar to holding and that it could be called in a lot of cases and I am much more a fan of just "letting them play". I fear challenging for penalties would come up every time the other team breaks a big play. I think there are situations in which it could be instituted but I feel there would have to be a lot of pre-qualifications for it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
In order for the rule to be intact then it would need to be mandatory to replay the last play until the next snap has taken place. But it could mess with the stadiums money. I am sure companies pay money to have there advertising on the jumbo during the game.
Not to mention home crowd pandering, like "Make noise!!!" and other such messages.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They need to do something but stopping the game and reviewing the play is not the answer.

Demerits to each official responsible for a call the league felt should have been called correctly. (Reviewed during the week.)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Only after the two-minute warning. In fact, make all plays reviewable after the two-minute warning. Or give coaches an extra challenge to be used ONLY after the two-minute warning. That way they can challenge any play they want, but they ONLY get one challenge, whether it's valid or invalid.

shabazz

Reaction score
Good post,my Bro!,,,though, perhaps you might wanna' chill-it/ time-out afore you possibly draw some heat,,,if yer' catching my drift of "moderated" forum decorum:starspin::thumbup::starspin:

Your right my man. Sage advice as usual. The only sad part about this is that those are the actual facts but point taken. Our family is active in Susan B Komen cancer fund raising so that makes it all the more sad

links18

Reaction score
TV talking heads saying it was a "bang-bang" play in real time. No, it wasn't. You could hear the helmet to helmet crack on TV. That play was liek three different penalties and they missed them all.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Your right my man. Sage advice as usual. The only sad part about this is that those are the actual facts but point taken. Our family is active in Susan B Komen cancer fund raising so that makes it all the more sad
Yessir! I'm feeling some heartfelt empathy for ya& we're sharing the same zip code in the views neighborhood,my Friend:thumbup:

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Or they could just create actual consequences for refs who look the other way on certain plays. They didn't need "help" on that Saints play. If you are staring right at the players and you don't call that penalty, you are either unfit to call ANY NFL game, or you had your own agenda. Period. At worst, an official who decides the outcome of a game with a terrible call/no call won't be picked to call the SB.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
But the question is, do you make only make them reviewable if a flag has been thrown? Like NO Rams game, there was no flag thrown so under current rules there is nothing to review

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
If they do it, it should be an automatic booth review. Somebody in NY watching the game (or a replay official in the stadium) should have direct access to the ref to tell him if the PI was legit or to pick up the flag. Should take all of 30 seconds to decide. Now that I think about it, everything should be a booth review. Turnovers and scoring plays already are, so why not catches, in/out of bounds and PI? Doing it automatically would speed up the process and coaches would have to rely on some twit in the booth to make a judgment call. No more hurry up by the offense to get a play off before it can be challenged. The replay official would immediately be in the refs ear telling him to hold up. They get 30 seconds to decide one way or the other.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
How about making the refs accountable? They should all have to answer questions after the game, as do the players. That would be a good start.
Secondly, New York should intervene immediately if a call is obviously blown.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

That’s part of the problem as they know every play is under a microscope.

The reality is the speed of the game simply makes it impossible to get all of these calls right despite whatever indecisive judgements are being made.

The solutions are review everything or stop showing instant replay. They could also add officials on the sidelines and end zones.

It all goes back to why the reviews were implemented because the networks replay exposed the game changing calls. Can’t have it both ways. Either review it all or stop showing the viewers instant replay.