Twitter: Competition Committee says Dez caught it **merged**

MarcusRock

Reaction score
There’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that he would have never been able to keep his footing battling Sheilds for that ball. All his concentration was on winning that battle and his momentum/body lean was clearly taking him to the ground. Rarely do you ever see a receiver maintain their footing and stay upright in that situation. They’re falling and can’t maintain their balance/footing. You’re grabbing for every straw you can to keep this going.

Of course he wouldn't have. Dez has done this same highpointing of a ball before without a DB even contacting him and guess where he goes.

gtdz0tqth2g9kqg6g.jpg

MarcusRock

Reaction score
He can post whatever video he wants but I can assure you Dez wasn’t falling to the ground like he was on this play. I don’t even need to see the video to know I’ll be right.

I think I've seen it. I think it's a video where Dez doesn't even leap, lol. Yup, pretty similar alright.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Dez was going to the ground one way or another, with or without contact. I could listen to some legalese about tap dancing 100 times while falling to muddy up the rule, but any attempt to claim he could regain balance on that play is where I would draw the line of being reasonable.

Again, he's done this type of play before without even being touched by the DB. What happens?

gtdz0tqth2g9kqg6g.jpg

MarcusRock

Reaction score
And when did the NFL announce that it was a misapplication of the rule? They are going to change the rule so those type of plays will be ruled complete going forward, but I have heard nobody from the NFL admit the play was called wrong.

That would be emotion doing what emotion does. Bending reality to make it palatable.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think I've seen it. I think it's a video where Dez doesn't even leap, lol. Yup, pretty similar alright.

I figured he didn’t leap, he had his feet on the ground when he made the catch and made a sharp turn up field but naturally they think it’s similar. :rolleyes:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This thread is never going to end unless it gets locked or moved to the drama zone. I’m done unless someone can come up with an angle I haven’t already talked about. I’ve put enough time into this.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Thomas was going to the ground. The case plays said an act common to the game ended it, you know like the title of case play A.R. 15.95.

Still waiting on that rule citation, by the way.

Where in that video does Blandino say Thomas was going to the ground? At the end of the video he says Thomas "was not going to the ground in the process of making the catch." Am I right?

Still waiting on why A.R. 8.12 appears in the 2014 and 2015 rules.
Oh, and been waiting forever for support for the rules "changing" from 2014 to 2015.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
He wasn’t going to the ground during the process of making the catch. He caught the ball, turned up field, began to run then he fell to the ground. All those parts established him as a runner.

If you watch the video all the way to the end, he clearly says that Thomas "was not going to the ground in the process of making the catch." Did my ears deceive me or did I just read another deceptive post from another poster?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I figured he didn’t leap, he had his feet on the ground when he made the catch and made a sharp turn up field but naturally they think it’s similar. :rolleyes:

The really funny thing is when they try to post still pictures to prove what future motion would have been, lol. You know if you have a camera with a really fast shutter speed you can claim a car is standing still even though it's really going 60mph. LOL.

blindzebra

Reaction score
If you watch the video all the way to the end, he clearly says that Thomas "was not going to the ground in the process of making the catch." Did my ears deceive me or did I just read another deceptive post from another poster?
Because he became a runner.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
You need to use your head and stop trying to stir things up all the time. Listen to this explanation he gave. He repeatedly talked about Dez going to the ground. When a receiver is ruled going to the ground they have to survive the ground it’s the rule!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-gameday/0ap3000000457053/Dean-Blandino-on-Dez-Bryant-call
Yes. That’s our entire point. The rules weren’t applied consistently in the Dez play and these two examples. In your video he’s contradicted what he said before.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-netwo...00000246515/Calvin-Johnson-rule-strikes-again
Those are two examples where he explains very clearly that a player can complete the catch process on the way to the ground. It’s very clear and not “cherry picked” just examples of him explaining rules to those that don’t understand.

It’s clear he explained in the Calvin play, in which he was going to the ground the entire time, that if he would’ve gotten two feet down it would’ve been a catch and in the Thomas play he took two steps, both while going to the ground(opposed to Dez’s 3 steps)then reached and it was ruled a touchdown.

Can you tell me any difference between those plays and the Dez plays in regards to how the rule pertains to them?

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
The Dez play is similar to the Calvin Johnson play where both players went up and high pointed the football over a defender and lost the football when they contacted the ground. The Julius Thomas play was very different from those plays because like with Ertz his feet were on the ground when he made the catch, he then immediately turned up field to run before falling to the ground.

That established both him and Ertz as runners. When a receiver is falling to the ground during the process of making a catch steps don’t matter because they’re stumbling and falling. This happens all in one piece. They’re going to the ground therefore they have to survive the ground with the football.
There. You’ve said it. It was similar to the Johnson play. Thank you, we agree.

Johnson’s would’ve been ruled complete except he didn’t get two feet down prior to his football move. He was going to the ground the entire time and Blandino said only him not getting two feet down prior to the football move prevented it from being a catch. NOT the fact that he lost control when he and the ball hit the ground.

Thank you. Let’s move on

nathanlt

Reaction score
So you agree Dez was going to the ground during the process of making the catch?

Yes, and when his first foot touched the ground, he completed that process of going to the ground. The falling portion which made him down by contact, was caused by Shields tripping him, NOT his own momentum.

The vague term "going to the ground" must be specifically described to align with the definition you THINK is the NFL's intent. Without that narrow definition being WRITTEN in a rule book, broader definitions apply, namely one foot on the ground. Football moves apply. Time to make football moves apply. Down by contact applies. Dez met all those, and it was a CATCH.

As far as the Benny Barnes thing, check youtube.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
We debunked that one too. Again, I'm not here to explain why or how Blandino explains things.

Bottom line, if he had both feet down and a reach it still wouldn't have been ruled a catch because he never regained his balance.
Again, that is not what Blandino said. So you’re saying he was wrong?

He very specifically says if he would have gotten two feet down prior to the reach it would have been a td.
That isn’t debatable.

And in Thomas play he never says anything about balance, at all, the difference, he says, is that Thomas got two feet down. Nothing at all about gathering himself.

BlindFaith

Reaction score

He very specifically says if he would have gotten two feet down prior to the reach it would have been a td.
That isn’t debatable.

And in Thomas play he never says anything about balance, at all, the difference, he says, is that Thomas got two feet down. Nothing at all about gathering himself.
I'm done. I'm done debating hypotheticals. Done debating still photos. Done being called a liar with no proof. Done providing factual evidence and no one reading it. Done explaining what falling means. Done watching the same tired videos that we've explained 100s of times. Done waiting for responses to questions that never come.
Done trying to be rational with conspiracy theorists. Done providing link after link of professionals saying it was not a catch. Done trying to make sense of the spinning and shoehorning.

Did we at least get past this notion that the competition committee admitted to being wrong? Or are basic reading and comprehension skills still under attack?

Reactions: G2

BlindFaith

Reaction score

That isn’t debatable.

Ask Blandino. Did he say two feet down while falling? Did he mean two feet down before falling? Did he mean regain balance with two feet down? I have no idea what he means.

But I guarantee you that IF he had gotten the second foot down a fraction of a second earlier, he still would have been falling and it would have still been incomplete. If he had gotten a second foot down at any point while falling it would have been incomplete.

I've disagreed with how Blandino has tried to explain this rule from the start. That catch was from 2013. I have no idea what he was thinking or why.