Twitter: Competition Committee says Dez caught it **merged**

blindzebra

Reaction score
He wasn’t going to the ground during the process of making the catch. He caught the ball, turned up field, began to run then he fell to the ground. All those parts established him as a runner.
Dez caught the ball, landed on 2 feet, turned, took a step, and reached.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No he had 2 feet down with control and then went to the ground where he took a step, moved the ball to his left hand, and reached, which completes the catch process and he landed as a runner down by contact, just like the case plays say.

Then you don’t know what going to the ground means. Thanks for proving my point. :thumbup:

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Then you don’t know what going to the ground means. Thanks for proving my point. :thumbup:
going to the ground should mean...going to the ground while trying to catch the ball, Dez jumped up to catch the ball...it's really that simple.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
going to the ground should mean...going to the ground while trying to catch the ball, Dez jumped up to catch the ball...it's really that simple.

That’s exactly what it means going to the ground during the process of making a catch.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Ask your boy Marcus. You are the only one clinging to that nothing stops going to the ground

You don’t know we’re going to the ground means. You have posts all over the board proving it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Which means nothing if you complete a, b, and c before you land, you know like the case play says.:thumbup:

Going to the ground means a receiver has to complete the process and survive the ground. That’s the rule.:thumbup:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The thing that confuses me is that you can have two feet on the ground while catching a ball and also be going to the ground. Jumping and catching the ball in the air is not the only way to fall to the ground. A runner could stumble, catch a ball while going to the ground, and then take a couple of steps (while going to the ground) and they would call it a catch. It is clear that blandino thinks these two scenarios are different, but do the rules specify that there is a different threshold for someone going to the ground after jumping in the air vs someone losing balance while running (or due to contact with a defender) and going to the ground? I would argue that Thomas was already in the process of falling down when he caught the ball. He lost his balance, but managed to secure control and take a couple of steps (while going to the ground).
The 2015 rule change was huge. The standard for becoming a runner was changed from "maintain control long enough to perform an act common to the game" to the infamous "remain upright long enough." How upright? For how long? That's why nobody knows what a catch is anymore.

The Thomas play in the video is from 2013, before the rule change. At that time, an act common to the game completed the catch process. The act in Thomas' case was reaching for the goal line.

Here's the falsehood being peddled by the catch theorists when they say the "rule changed."

They compare part (c) of the 3-part rule for receivers who catch balls on their feet with Item 1 (going to the ground rule), except they're different rules with different requirements. WHen you don't compare like parts of a rule with its like part of a rule then you can create any fallacy you wish. The key is in asking catch theorists if there's support out there for the rules changing from 2014 to 2015. There is none. I know because I've probably asked more than 20 times with no response. I do, however, see support that the rules didn't change. Here it is:

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...anges-and-points-of-emphasis-to-watch-in-2015
"Let's be clear. The rule that disallowed an apparent catch by Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant in the NFC divisional playoffs, and another by Detroit Lions receiver Calvin Johnson in 2009, remains unchanged in substance. The NFL did modify its wording, however, in hopes of making the rule make more sense to players, fans and media members in cases where a player is falling while in the process of making a catch."

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...hange-catch-rule-after-dez-bryant-controversy
"To put it bluntly, the rule itself has not changed."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...rule-and-it-might-actually-be-more-confusing/
"The interesting part here is that Dez Bryant's no-catch, the thing that sparked the rule change, would still be a no-catch under the new rule."​

blindzebra

Reaction score
You don’t know we’re going to the ground means. You have posts all over the board proving it.
Umm, going to the ground means going to the ground, and under the 2014 rules if you completed the process before you hit the ground you are a runner.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Going to the ground means a receiver has to complete the process and survive the ground. That’s the rule.:thumbup:
No it doesn't. the receiver could still become a runner by rule...read the stinking case plays.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Umm, going to the ground means going to the ground, and under the 2014 rules if you completed the process before you hit the ground you are a runner.

If you want to stay up all night absorbed with this go ahead. I’ve already made my case.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Appears BZ is going to make this an all nighter. Hope he’s enjoying his weekend. :laugh:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No I continue to be correct, and you continue to be the only one of the Blandino Boys still clinging to that falsehood.

You’ve been more wrong than just about anyone. You have no clue what going to the ground is or what both feet down is.