Twitter: Competition Committee says Dez caught it **merged**

blindzebra

Reaction score
That's what I thought. Can you point out in the rules where it clarifies the term receiver?
This is what you are hanging your hat on now huh?
You realize that whether it is a player or a receiver we are still talking about the pass process of a, b, and c, right?
Unbelievable.

blindzebra

Reaction score
So let me get this straight. You think that the first two parts of the catch process are conditions of becoming a "receiver". Some term mentioned no where in the rule book.

And then they become a runner by completing the final step.

So when a player goes to the ground, to you, the catch process is completed after the first two acts?

Even though the rule clearly states that in order to complete a catch you have to complete all three acts.

Is this what you mean?
That is not even remotely what I wrote.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Sure that is what it means. Not gonna fall for the insult bait either.
You do realize what you just wrote completely contradicts your entire theory, since in none of the case plays does the player complete the process before going to the ground.
Sure they do. It even says so in the case play.

The one act that can complete the process. Interrupting the fall. Brace or keep balance plus lunge.

blindzebra

Reaction score
You are the one that jumped into my discussion with Kevin about the case play. That's what we were talking about.

He said the case play where the player comes down with one foot then gets hit and knocked to the ground was all about the football move, and I asked what football move was mentioned in the case play? He's trying to argue that the case play covers any situation where there is a "football move" when there isn't even a football move mentioned in that case play.
The only case play with one foot and going down is not even part of the discussion.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Catching and having the ball ripped away by a defender and re establishing control is an act common to the game. Landing with your back to the sideline and turning up field to run is an act common to the game. Now this one is really going to tickle your titties, tripping is both an act common to the game AND something a runner does but not something one does while falling; isn't that fun! After tripping the lunge happens but that's irrelevant to the catch at this point.

Don't fall victim to sunk cost and anchoring, you're on the wrong side of this thing man; like the axis powers in world war 2 or the confederate states in the civil war. Think about what you are fighting for man.

The case play we are discussing says nothing about the ball being ripped away by a defender or reestablishing control or landing with your back to the sideline or turning upfield and running. You are interjecting yourself iinto a conversation that you aren't up to speed on.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
This is what you are hanging your hat on now huh?
You realize that whether it is a player or a receiver we are still talking about the pass process of a, b, and c, right?
Unbelievable.
Well I thought we were, not sure you even know the catch process now. Receivers and runners now. Talk about making up rules.

rkell87

Reaction score
The case play we are discussing says nothing about the ball being ripped away by a defender or reestablishing control or landing with your back to the sideline or turning upfield and running. You are interjecting yourself iinto a conversation that you aren't up to speed on.
So you aren't talking about the Dez play?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you aren't talking about the Dez play?

The context of the thread is the Dez play, but there have been a lot of tangents that have come out of it. In this tangent we were talking about a scenario in the 2014 NFL Case Book.

rkell87

Reaction score
The context of the thread is the Dez play, but there have been a lot of tangents that have come out of it. In this tangent we were talking about a scenario in the 2014 NFL Case Book.
But not the Dez play?

blindzebra

Reaction score
8.12, 8.13 clarify AR 15.95

All clarify Item 1 going to the ground and demonstrate the time long enough in part C act common to the game
So they say Item 1 does not apply to a runner and that part c) ends it. Thanks, that is exactly what I have been saying for 3 years.

So I take that as you admitting you were wrong.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
That is not even remotely what I wrote.
This is what you wrote.

Item 1 is talking about a receiver going to the ground.
a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and
b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands

A player at this point is still a receiver and must meet the Item 1 requirements.
When a player does this:
c) maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, to enable him to perform any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.).
They become a runner and Item 1 no longer applies to that player.

How is that different than what I said? And I did ask if that's what you meant. So if it's not, then please clarify.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
So they say Item 1 does not apply to a runner and that part c) ends it. Thanks, that is exactly what I have been saying for 3 years.

So I take that as you admitting you were wrong.
You are making up some difference between a receiver and a runner.

Going to the ground applies if the entire 3 part of the process has not been completed. There is no partial completion for a receiver and the act common can come later.

That's just a big pile of made up garbage.

blindzebra

Reaction score
This is what you wrote.

Item 1 is talking about a receiver going to the ground.
a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and
b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands

A player at this point is still a receiver and must meet the Item 1 requirements.
When a player does this:
c) maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, to enable him to perform any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.).
They become a runner and Item 1 no longer applies to that player.

How is that different than what I said? And I did ask if that's what you meant. So if it's not, then please clarify.
Here is what you said:

So let me get this straight. You think that the first two parts of the catch process are conditions of becoming a "receiver". Some term mentioned no where in the rule book.

And then they become a runner by completing the final step.

So when a player goes to the ground, to you, the catch process is completed after the first two acts?

Even though the rule clearly states that in order to complete a catch you have to complete all three acts.

Is this what you mean?

I did not saying anything about becoming a receiver, an offensive player in the catch process is a receiver.
I clearly said that parts a) and b) are performed as a receiver and that c) makes you a runner. All three complete the act. And FYI, why it does not say receiver, which for the Dez discussion that is what it means, is because the catch rules apply to both the offense and the defense, and that is why Item 1 says player. 8.1.3 still is about the catch process and the transition between being a receiver/defensive player and a runner.