Computer hell

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
bbgun;2600354 said:
OK, I'll open it up again tomorrow and try that.

Here's the exact error message:

http://img145.*************/img145/6560/dsc00171hr1er5.jpg

bb - this is a known problem with the nvidea chipset - you can blow dust and reseat cards till you find ultimate joy but that won't fix this.

update the driver or get an ati.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2597297 said:
When someone asks for help first I see if it's someone I like and if I don't I mock them first then help. If I do like them...well I mock them first then help. :laugh1:

bear is on my no help list :D

That's OK, I'm pretty much used to it... in fact, it could be argued that I've been helpless most of my natural life...

silverbear

Reaction score
iceberg;2599083 said:
fine.

why? what technically or any other way keeps you from vista? tell me YOUR thoughts, not someone elses.

I've had limited experience with it, when a friend who's not real computer savvy got a new PC, and she and I both found it too glitchy, to the point that she called Dell and raised hell (they basically talked her into going with Vista), and they wound up replacing her system with one with XP preloaded...

But my bias against it really goes back further than that, to the time I took their test to check my hardware compatibility... turns out that my scanner and my inkjet printer (but not my laser printer) would not work if I installed Vista... and IIRC, I'd need a new sound card, too...

Screw that, both those pieces of hardware were HP products, and not that old... there's no reason that Vista shouldn't have been able to recognize them...

Like I said, I'm generally all for getting the newest and the bestest, and if the next release is really going to be the improvement you say it is, I'd be willing to think about beta testing it, just because I trust your judgement on such matters...

But only if they've gotten the hardware compatibility issues resolved, I'm not gonna upgrade to a new OS if I've gotta go out and lay down 600 bucks to replace the equipment I currently have...

silverbear

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2599278 said:
Ice....trust me you don't want to get inside bear's head. It will cost a fortune in therapy later.

Every day's Christmas in my cranium, it's a 24/7/365 party...

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
silverbear;2600689 said:
I've had limited experience with it, when a friend who's not real computer savvy got a new PC, and she and I both found it too glitchy, to the point that she called Dell and raised hell (they basically talked her into going with Vista), and they wound up replacing her system with one with XP preloaded...

But my bias against it really goes back further than that, to the time I took their test to check my hardware compatibility... turns out that my scanner and my inkjet printer (but not my laser printer) would not work if I installed Vista...

Screw that, both those pieces of hardware were HP products, and not that old... there's no reason that Vista shouldn't have been able to recognize them...

Like I said, I'm generally all for getting the newest and the bestest, and if the next release is really going to be the improvement you say it is, I'd be willing to think about beta testing it, just because I trust your judgement on such matters...

all these are very legit complaints bear. totally. but it's also one of those "then don't upgrade till your drivers are ready".

MS did change how drivers were written in vista. it went for security. how it's up to hp, nvidea, ati, all hardware manufactures to write their UPDATED drivers. it's never up to your OS to make your 3rd party hardware work. that's up to the hardware manufacturer.

there are a lot of improvements in vista. there are. but backwards compatibility was not it's focus - moving forward was. that did leave out a lot of existing hardware. with my radio show i run a off the wall dj package adn a non-soundblaster card.

neither worked under vista.

but it's not vistas fault.

however i do think you're being fair with why you don't like it, i just want to explain the position of it all so you know why things may not work.

silverbear

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2600347 said:
whatever happened to just taking it to a computer repair co? shoot even Best Buy's geek squad gotta be better than trying to figure it out on your own.

I dunno, I was really proud when this computer illiterate was able to accurately diagnose my fried video card, then go down to the computer store and buy a new card that was actually compatible with my system...

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg;2600679 said:
bb - this is a known problem with the nvidea chipset - you can blow dust and reseat cards till you find ultimate joy but that won't fix this.

update the driver or get an ati.

I've downloaded every damn driver off their site (one for XP, one for the card, and a so-called universal driver), all to no avail. I'm not facing a system crash or a loss of data here, so I'm not freaking out. Of course, if a new card doesn't fix it, I'm screwed.

silverbear

Reaction score
iceberg;2600695 said:
all these are very legit complaints bear. totally. but it's also one of those "then don't upgrade till your drivers are ready".

MS did change how drivers were written in vista. it went for security. how it's up to hp, nvidea, ati, all hardware manufactures to write their UPDATED drivers. it's never up to your OS to make your 3rd party hardware work. that's up to the hardware manufacturer.

there are a lot of improvements in vista. there are. but backwards compatibility was not it's focus - moving forward was. that did leave out a lot of existing hardware. with my radio show i run a off the wall dj package adn a non-soundblaster card.

neither worked under vista.

but it's not vistas fault.

however i do think you're being fair with why you don't like it, i just want to explain the position of it all so you know why things may not work.

That actually explains the driver issue for me... thanks for that...

Now, why wouldn't HP update the drivers for their recent models in order to make them compatible with Vista??

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
bbgun;2600699 said:
I've downloaded every damn driver off their site (one for XP, one for the card, and a so-called universal driver), all to no avail. I'm not facing a system crash or a loss of data here, so I'm not freaking out. Of course, if a new card doesn't fix it, I'm screwed.

pm me. i'll give you my # and you can call me tomorrow and let's talk. um...later today.

i'll do more research on the error and help you get a good direction going.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
silverbear;2600701 said:
That actually explains the driver issue for me... thanks for that...

Now, why wouldn't HP update the drivers for their recent models in order to make them compatible with Vista??

HP is an excellent company. one of the best out there. but i can't tell you why or when they'll decide to write drivers for a product. you just have to make choices.

wait for drivers or upgrade hardware. when *you* are ready to move to vista, do it. but the problems come about when people think an OS upgrade will make everything work.

silverbear

Reaction score
iceberg;2600707 said:
HP is an excellent company. one of the best out there. but i can't tell you why or when they'll decide to write drivers for a product. you just have to make choices.

wait for drivers or upgrade hardware. when *you* are ready to move to vista, do it. but the problems come about when people think an OS upgrade will make everything work.

I hear ya, but at the same time, I started with Windows 95, went to Windows 98SE, then it was Windows ME, then XP... never had ANY hardware compatibility issues before that...

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
silverbear;2600709 said:
I hear ya, but at the same time, I started with Windows 95, went to Windows 98SE, then it was Windows ME, then XP... never had ANY hardware compatibility issues before that...

many people may not. it's a timing issue on when things synch up and how closely companies work together.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2600347 said:
whatever happened to just taking it to a computer repair co? shoot even Best Buy's geek squad gotta be better than trying to figure it out on your own.

Your kidding right since most those guys are moorns that no nothing and get paid nothing. I mean I had a coworker her boyfriend worked for them and he she talked about how 99% of them did not know what they where doing. If you get a good one you are lucky because the majority of the people they hire are clueless.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
BBgun here is what I would suggest boot to safe mode bring up the hardware uninstall the video driver this will request a reboot say no to start with then run driver cleaner ripping off all the drivers (a link below). Reboot your system after striping out the driver let windows redetect new hardware. Windows will install a generic driver. then go find a driver for NVidia and reinstall.

This will give you a fresh start on the drivers

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Kangaroo;2605048 said:
BBgun here is what I would suggest boot to safe mode bring up the hardware uninstall the video driver this will request a reboot say no to start with then run driver cleaner ripping off all the drivers (a link below). Reboot your system after striping out the driver let windows redetect new hardware. Windows will install a generic driver. then go find a driver for NVidia and reinstall.

This will give you a fresh start on the drivers

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

It says "this software removed at request of publisher." They recommend "drive sweeper" instead.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Hostile;2600572 said:
bbgun, did you ever try my suggestion?

what was your suggestion, out of curiosity?

Personally I think the card is failing or like I said, the fan stopped working.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Kilyin;2605192 said:

Lengthy "disk scan" check. I ran it last night but the problem still remains.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Kilyin;2605192 said:

the card doesn't work on this chipset. not a common problem but a problem only best resolved w/a new motherboard and chipset or a new videocard chipset like ati.

or wait for a driver in 6-10 months from someone.

or upgrade to vista 64 bit

or keep pretending the simple steps will fix this sooner or later.

silverbear

Reaction score
iceberg;2600718 said:
many people may not. it's a timing issue on when things synch up and how closely companies work together.

That makes sense too, I'm usually not in a financial position to jump on the newest OS when it first comes out... I generally have to wait until I get one of the two bonuses the boss gives out every year, or my tax refunds get back...