Computer hell

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
silverbear;2606087 said:
That makes sense too, I'm usually not in a financial position to jump on the newest OS when it first comes out... I generally have to wait until I get one of the two bonuses the boss gives out every year, or my tax refunds get back...

That's one of the few advantages to ordering all of the equipment for my company. :D

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister;2606195 said:
That's one of the few advantages to ordering all of the equipment for my company. :D

It is nice when you your company pays the tab for some things and you get to make copies or "test" things at home.:laugh2:

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2606218 said:
It is nice when you your company pays the tab for some things and you get to make copies or "test" things at home.:laugh2:

Testing yeah that's the ticket ;)

:laugh2:

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister;2606224 said:
Testing yeah that's the ticket ;)

:laugh2:

We got XP shortly after it came out and bought 50 licenses for it. We just got one disc but we had the 50 licenses for it.

So knowing the guy who is the main tech guy and orders this stuff I insisted we make bootable copies of the disc. This guy always loses discs and stuff so I make copies of everything and keep them in a cd book away from him. And in doing so I can also make copies for myself and he does not mind cause he winds up doing the same thing.

And good thing I did make copies of XP because as usual...he wound up losing the original.:laugh2: I guess I learned my lesson after he did the same thing when we got Windows2k.

Now on the other hand, after we used WindowsME for a short time on a few computers...I made sure to lose the copies accidentally (wink wink) since it sucked so bad.:laugh2:

Man WindowsME sucked bad, especially for networking things. Nothing more annoying than connecting to the network and the stupid thing would always connect to every printer in the building. Delete them out, next time to restart or connect..bang it would do it again. Very annoying. And that was just one annoying thing as it was funny because it always would do that thing with the printers but on the other hand it was sometimes a pain networking to other computers to move files.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2606229 said:
We got XP shortly after it came out and bought 50 licenses for it. We just got one disc but we had the 50 licenses for it.

So knowing the guy who is the main tech guy and orders this stuff I insisted we make bootable copies of the disc. This guy always loses discs and stuff so I make copies of everything and keep them in a cd book away from him. And in doing so I can also make copies for myself and he does not mind cause he winds up doing the same thing.

And good thing I did make copies of XP because as usual...he wound up losing the original.:laugh2: I guess I learned my lesson after he did the same thing when we got Windows2k.

Now on the other hand, after we used WindowsME for a short time on a few computers...I made sure to lose the copies accidentally (wink wink) since it sucked so bad.:laugh2:

Man WindowsME sucked bad, especially for networking things. Nothing more annoying than connecting to the network and the stupid thing would always connect to every printer in the building. Delete them out, next time to restart or connect..bang it would do it again. Very annoying. And that was just one annoying thing as it was funny because it always would do that thing with the printers but on the other hand it was sometimes a pain networking to other computers to move files.

We stayed as far away from WinME as possible. I installed it home and in about two weeks went back to Win98.

My boss is dragging us in to the Vista world now. He decided he wanted to get rid of all the Win2K machines and get with the curve instead of behind it. Thankfully I made an image so I don't have to install from scratch.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister;2606245 said:
We stayed as far away from WinME as possible. I installed it home and in about two weeks went back to Win98.

My boss is dragging us in to the Vista world now. He decided he wanted to get rid of all the Win2K machines and get with the curve instead of behind it. Thankfully I made an image so I don't have to install from scratch.

I like XP. I messed with one computer with Vista and found some positives with it but mostly it was new so I would have to mess with it more before I would get used to it. The thing that bothered me more is you basically would have to get a newer computer or really upgrade on memory so I never bothered with it for my home computer.

Win2k was pretty good IMO. It was solid and we really did not have many problems with it. We have had more problems with XP over the years but not too bad. But from a networking standpoint I still think Win2k is better or more reliable.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2606195 said:

If I thought you liked me, I'd hit you up for some freebies... LOL...

Kilyin

Reaction score
iceberg;2605935 said:
the card doesn't work on this chipset. not a common problem but a problem only best resolved w/a new motherboard and chipset or a new videocard chipset like ati.

or wait for a driver in 6-10 months from someone.

or upgrade to vista 64 bit

or keep pretending the simple steps will fix this sooner or later.

A working 6800 Nvidia card functions with any chipset. I don't know what chipset bbgun has, but I still have an old 6800 card and it works on any board/chipset with native AGP...

Edit: Looking at the Dell site and dimension 8400 specs it appears this is a PCI-Express 6800 and the board is an Intel chipset. Nvidia cards of any flavor work perfectly fine with an Intel chipset. Just buy another cheap PCI-Express card and be done with it.

Or get a real computer.

Kilyin

Reaction score
iceberg;2596447 said:
not a heat issue. if a heat issue it will work fine for awhile then reboot constantly till it cools down for a few hours. then repeat process. this is a video issue from what i can tell and yes, a new card would fix it, but the website above is worth a shot if you're trying to save some $.

Not true. An overheating video card is not going to make your system reboot constantly, unless the option 'automatically restart' is checked under system failure (BSOD). It will simply blue screen, lock up completely, or lose the video signal.

A video card doesn't take hours to cool down either, even without a fan. In fact, if just idling at the desktop most video cards can run with passive cooling. It's when the card is stressed that it will exhibit symptoms of a problem.

Route 66

Reaction score
Kilyin;2606314 said:
A working 6800 Nvidia card functions with any chipset. I don't know what chipset bbgun has, but I still have an old 6800 card and it works on any board/chipset with native AGP...

Edit: Looking at the Dell site and dimension 8400 specs it appears this is a PCI-Express 6800 and the board is an Intel chipset. Nvidia cards of any flavor work perfectly fine with an Intel chipset. Just buy another cheap PCI-Express card and be done with it.

Or get a real computer.

Depends on how old that Dell is. I have an XPS but its still an AGP 8x.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Kilyin;2606314 said:

Or get a real computer.

wrong. like i said, not a common problem but a timing issue between the geforce chipset and the motherboard. you can wait for someone to own up to it and fix it (long wait) or you can get an ati card.

this is why i quit helping in public because everyone's a techie and advice flys all around.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Kilyin;2606327 said:
Not true. An overheating video card is not going to make your system reboot constantly, unless the option 'automatically restart' is checked under system failure (BSOD). It will simply blue screen, lock up completely, or lose the video signal.

A video card doesn't take hours to cool down either, even without a fan. In fact, if just idling at the desktop most video cards can run with passive cooling. It's when the card is stressed that it will exhibit symptoms of a problem.

um. i NEVER SAID AN OVERHEATING VIDEO CARD WOULD DO THIS.

i was referring to cpu/fan issues.this is why i said it was a video not heat issue.

and crap like this is why i'm out. we do agree a new card will fix it. i propose an ati chipset just to make sure. after that you're just screwing up good advice.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q293078

Article ID: 293078 - Last Review: October 30, 2008 - Revision: 5.0
Error message in Windows XP: "STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER"

View products that this article applies to.
This article was previously published under Q293078
On This PageSYMPTOMS

CAUSE

RESOLUTION
Method 1: Use the Windows Error Reporting tool
Method 2: Install the latest driver for your video adapter
Method 3: Contact the video card manufacturer to obtain and install the latest driver
Method 4: Replace your video card

Advanced troubleshooting
Method 1: Disable or update device drivers
Method 2: Adjust the Hardware Acceleration

NEXT STEPS
Expand all | Collapse all
SYMPTOMSYou receive one of the following Stop error messages in Windows XP: STOP 0x00000...You receive one of the following Stop error messages in Windows XP:

STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
STOP: 0x100000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M

CAUSE
This issue occurs if the graphics adapter is caught in an infinite loop while it waits for the video hardware to become idle. (gee, a timing issue, berg) This can indicate that there is a problem with the video hardware, or that the graphics adapter cannot program the hardware correctly.

The Stop error message may also occur in video adapter drivers that do not represent a physical device. For example, this Stop error message may occur in the virtual video adapter driver that is used by Symantec PCAnywhere. If PCAnywhere is installed on a computer where this error message occurs, visit the Symantec Web site to determine whether there are any available fixes for your version of PCAnywhere.

RESOLUTION
To correct this issue, follow the methods that are described in this section in...To correct this issue, follow the methods that are described in this section in the order in which they are presented until the issue is resolved.

The first four methods described in this article are for beginning to intermediate users. The final two methods deal with advanced troubleshooting and are designed for advanced users.

You may find it easier to follow the steps if you print this article first.

Method 1: Use the Windows Error Reporting tool
Use the Windows Error Reporting Tool to send the error to Microsoft and determine of a fix or workaround is available. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Send Error Report when you are prompted to send the error report to Microsoft.

If a fix or a workaround is available, click More Information. This helps you obtain the fix or information about how to work around the issue.
If this method worked, you are finished. If you continue to receive the stop error message, go to method 2.

Method 2: Install the latest driver for your video adapter
To detect and to install the latest driver for your video adapter in Windows XP, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com)
If this method worked, you are finished. If you continue to receive the stop error message, go to method 3.

Method 3: Contact the video card manufacturer to obtain and install the latest driver

The driver is software that enables videos to be viewed on your computer. See the documentation that was included with your computer to determine the manufacturer for your video card. Then, use the links in the following list to find the contact information for your video card manufacturer in order to obtain and install the latest driver. For information about how to contact the manufacturer, click the appropriate article number in the following list to view

the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
65416 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/65416/ ) Hardware and software vendor contact information, A-K

60781 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/60781/ ) Hardware and software vendor contact information, L-P

60782 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/60782/ ) Hardware and software vendor contact information, Q-Z

Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

If this method worked, you are finished. If you continue to receive the stop error message, go to method 4.

Method 4: Replace your video card
For information about how to replace your video card, please see the documentation that was included with your computer.

If this method worked, you are finished. If you continue to receive the stop error message, and you are comfortable trying advanced troubleshooting steps, go to the "Advanced troubleshooting" section.

If you are not comfortable with advanced troubleshooting, you might want to go to the “Next Steps” section for additional resources that may be able to help.

Advanced troubleshooting
These methods are intended for advanced computer users. If you are not comfortable with advanced troubleshooting, you might want to ask someone for help or contact Support. For information about how to contact Support, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/ (http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/)

Method 1: Disable or update device drivers
View the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) to determine whether the PCI devices in the computer are compatible with Windows XP. For information about the hardware compatibility list, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx)

Update the video adapter drivers to the latest versions.

If a driver is listed by name in the Stop error message, disable or remove that driver.

Disable or remove any drivers or services that you recently added.

Note If the error occurs during the startup sequence, and the system partition is using the NTFS file system, you may be able to use safe mode to rename or to delete the faulty driver. If the driver is used as part of the system startup process in safe mode, you must start the computer by using the Recovery Console to use the file. For more information about video adapter drivers in safe mode, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

292460 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292460/ ) How to troubleshoot the video adapter driver in safe mode in Windows XP

Note If the problem is associated with the Win32k.sys file, the problem may be caused by a third-party remote control program. To remove the service, use the Recovery Console to start the computer, and then delete the specified system service file.

If this method worked, you are finished. If you continue to receive the stop error message, go to method 2.

Method 2: Adjust the Hardware Acceleration
Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.
On the Settings tab, click Advanced, and then click the Troubleshoot tab.
Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None, and then click to clear the Enable write combining check box.
Click OK, and then click OK.

Note This procedure prevents the graphics adapter from programming the hardware incorrectly, but you may lose some display functionality and performance. Although you can increase the hardware acceleration settings higher than None to regain functionality and performance, these settings increase the possibility that the issue will occur again. For maximum stability, leave hardware acceleration off.

Back to the top

NEXT STEPSIf these methods did not help you, you might want to use the Microsoft Customer...If these methods did not help you, you might want to use the Microsoft Customer Support Services Web site to find other solutions. Some services that the Microsoft Customer Support Services Web site provides include the following:
Searchable Knowledge Base (http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1) :

Search technical support information and self-help tools for Microsoft products.

Solution Centers (http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub) : View product-specific frequently asked questions and support highlights.

Microsoft Customer Support Newsgroups (http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx) :
Contact counterparts, peers, and Microsoft Most Valuable Professionals (MVPs).

Other Support Options (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=csshome) : Use the Web to ask a question, contact Microsoft Customer Support Services, or provide feedback.
If you continue to have questions after you use these Microsoft Web sites or if you cannot find a solution on the Microsoft Support Services Web site, click the following link to contact Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/contactus (http://support.microsoft.com/contactus)

------------------------

APPLIES TO
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
Back to the top
Keywords: kbresolve kbtshoot kbenv kberrmsg kbhardware kbprb KB293078

Back to the top

Kilyin

Reaction score
iceberg;2606590 said:
wrong. like i said, not a common problem but a timing issue between the geforce chipset and the motherboard. you can wait for someone to own up to it and fix it (long wait) or you can get an ati card.

this is why i quit helping in public because everyone's a techie and advice flys all around.

I am a 'techie' so I guess it's true in this instance. Gee, we wouldn't want you to stop helping in public. What a tragedy that would be, because obviously nobody except you has any idea what they're talking about. Please, get over yourself, pal.

And no, I'm not wrong. I've seen firsthand plenty of perfectly working systems with intel chipsets and nvidia video cards. There is no 'timing issue'. If that were the case, he'd have been having problems all along. I'm assuming this computer worked fine for a long period of time and this recently started happening.

Nice KB article from Microsoft, but that's the last place I'd be looking for hardware troubleshooting advice.

Kilyin

Reaction score
iceberg;2606598 said:
um. i NEVER SAID AN OVERHEATING VIDEO CARD WOULD DO THIS.

Lighten up, Francis. Next time, maybe you should word your thoughts a little more coherently.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Kilyin;2606764 said:
I am a 'techie' so I guess it's true in this instance.

And no, I'm not wrong. I've seen firsthand plenty of perfectly working systems with intel chipsets and nvidia video cards. There is no 'timing issue'. If that were the case, he'd have been having problems all along. I'm assuming this computer worked fine for a long period of time and this recently started happening.

Nice KB article from Microsoft, but that's the last place I'd be looking for hardware troubleshooting advice.

and i've seen some that have failed. you see, i've been in this bus for around 16 years.

the timing issue could also be w/the ram, bios settings, and many other hardware combos, chipset revs, mismatched ram, many many things in the end that make the unique issue now at hand.

so go ahead bb - follow boywonder here and i'll just move along.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Kilyin;2606768 said:
Lighten up, Francis. Next time, maybe you should word your thoughts a little more coherently.

maybe you should be a "good" techie and make sure you understand whats said before poppin off the mouith.

Kilyin

Reaction score
iceberg;2606780 said:
and i've seen some that have failed. you see, i've been in this bus for around 16 years.

the timing issue could also be w/the ram, bios settings, and many other hardware combos, chipset revs, mismatched ram, many many things in the end that make the unique issue now at hand.

so go ahead bb - follow boywonder here and i'll just move along.

Is this some sort of e-peen waving contest now? Am I supposed to be enthralled with your 'credentials'?

Hardware failure and incompatibility are two completely different things. Incompatibility issues don't suddenly manifest out of thin air. They either exist, or they don't, barring the introduction of NEW hardware into the system.

I didn't mean to interfere with your courtship of bbgun, so by all means.. do continue. Maybe he'll give you a big sloppy kiss for being so passionate.