Connecticut shooting ***Do NOT post about gun laws***

joseephuss

Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...unspecified-threat-during-noon-182416799.html

Death threat prompts police response to Newtown church on Sunday

NEWTOWN, Conn.--St. Rose of Lima Roman Catholic Church was evacuated during its noon mass due to an anonymous threat made by phone.

A spokesman for the church told Yahoo News that an unidentified male called the rectory, threatening that he would "kill everyone."

"My friend didn't finish the job," the caller said, according to the church official.

The church alerted state police, who said it was a credible enough threat and ordered the church be evacuated, the spokesman said. At approximately 12:30 p.m., Monsignor Robert Weiss interrupted a younger priest, "calmly told the parishoners there was a threat," and led the evacuation of approximately 500 people, he said.

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

Reaction score
joseephuss;4899750 said:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...unspecified-threat-during-noon-182416799.html

Death threat prompts police response to Newtown church on Sunday

NEWTOWN, Conn.--St. Rose of Lima Roman Catholic Church was evacuated during its noon mass due to an anonymous threat made by phone.

A spokesman for the church told Yahoo News that an unidentified male called the rectory, threatening that he would "kill everyone."

"My friend didn't finish the job," the caller said, according to the church official.

The church alerted state police, who said it was a credible enough threat and ordered the church be evacuated, the spokesman said. At approximately 12:30 p.m., Monsignor Robert Weiss interrupted a younger priest, "calmly told the parishoners there was a threat," and led the evacuation of approximately 500 people, he said.
I earnestly hope the Feds identify and interrogate him, give him the attention he was craving, but in manner he will find extremely unpleasant!

And file some charges against him.

IAMKING

Benched
Reaction score
It's crazy how bad the reports are early on, I wonder where they come from.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Sasquatch;4904698 said:
Thanks for the read. How terrifying and sad. Not sure what the solution is to such a complex issue.

The solution's easier than people think, but harder at the same time. Change the way we live and raise children...the major point I picked from that article was he got upset at his video games being taken.

Video games and the internet are the worst things that ever happened to social interaction. There's few people on this board that I've met in real life so most of you are just a screen name and avatar. That type of desensitivity isn't what children (or adults for that matter) need for a healthy mental state.

That's not to say that technology is evil, but moderation is the key. We're pushing cell phones on younger and younger children, non-dial up internet is the only thing most kids have ever known, television and movie violence and language jumped the shark eons ago.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I came across this collage. It is supposed to be some of the children, but I have not verified it's authenticity. If it is real, it's missing some.

https://lh5.***BROKEN***/-wKKW0059pek/UM8o9mob-bI/AAAAAAABn8U/PAFP1W2UWc4/w497-h373/Vs9OW.jpg

JBond

Reaction score
Heroes emerge from Connecticut school massacre

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/12/15/heroes-connecticut-school-shooting/1771559/

First-grade teacher Vicki Leigh Soto, 27, died trying to protect the children she loved, her cousin Jim Wiltsie told The Wall Street Journal.

When the gunfire started, she gathered her students and hid them in a classroom closet, officials told her family.

"In doing so, she put herself between the kids and the gunman's bullets," said Wiltsie, who is a police officer. "That is how she was found. Huddled with her children."

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Gemini Dolly;4898242 said:
Im not a parent, but I would imagine it being hard have to trust other people with your kids, but you have to. You send your kids to school and trust that everything is going to be okay. That school is their safe haven.

This one hurts a lot.

One of the hardest things I've ever had to do was dropping my babies off at daycare/pre-school. I spent three weeks interviewing schools. Never felt completely comfortable with any of them. Hell, they can tell you what you want to hear. Lasted three days.

I was lucky enough to have a family friend, female, that watched them. Still had some minor issues but nothing even remotely serious.She loved them like they were hers. I was so lucky.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Seven;4905371 said:
One of the hardest things I've ever had to do was dropping my babies off at daycare/pre-school. I spent three weeks interviewing schools. Never felt completely comfortable with any of them. Hell, they can tell you what you want to hear. Lasted three days.

I was lucky enough to have a family friend, female, that watched them. Still had some minor issues but nothing even remotely serious.She loved them like they were hers. I was so lucky.

I to was fortunate with my son when he needed child care. My ex and I divorced when my son was 2 and I got full custody of him. My mother and father would watch him during the day while I was working. Huge advantages for he and I. He got the proper love my folks gave me growing up and I not once worried over him.

I would swing in each night and pick him up, big eyes shining brightly ready for his time with dad. I miss those days sometimes.

My heart just goes out to these families. You CANNOT have my guns over it, but my heart is certainly heavy over this whole situation.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
A friend of mine's wife picked up her 6 yr old from kindergarten on Friday, and he asked her "If she'd heard about all the kids that had been killed?"

She was dumbfounded, and asked him "How did you hear about that?" He explained that their teacher had turned on the TV in their classroom and a lot of the kids had been sitting around watching it."

Needless to say, she wasn't just dropping her kid off at school this morning, but planning on making a trip to the principal's office to find out why that was being shown in the classroom!?

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;4905958 said:
A friend of mine's wife picked up her 6 yr old from kindergarten on Friday, and he asked her "If she'd heard about all the kids that had been killed?"

She was dumbfounded, and asked him "How did you hear about that?" He explained that their teacher had turned on the TV in their classroom and a lot of the kids had been sitting around watching it."

Needless to say, she wasn't just dropping her kid off at school this morning, but planning on making a trip to the principal's office to find out why that was being shown in the classroom!?

because you cannot hide that type of stuff from children

Hoofbite

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4906613 said:

That's not a decision for the school to decide

I would agree with your statement but how kids are informed is completely up to the parents.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;4904789 said:
The solution's easier than people think, but harder at the same time. Change the way we live and raise children...the major point I picked from that article was he got upset at his video games being taken.

Video games and the internet are the worst things that ever happened to social interaction. There's few people on this board that I've met in real life so most of you are just a screen name and avatar. That type of desensitivity isn't what children (or adults for that matter) need for a healthy mental state.

That's not to say that technology is evil, but moderation is the key. We're pushing cell phones on younger and younger children, non-dial up internet is the only thing most kids have ever known, television and movie violence and language jumped the shark eons ago.

I think the idea behind the article is that her son has issues and something as small as removing his video games is all it takes to set him off.

I'm not sure how she could be a better parent in the situation. She's likely going to arrive at a point where she has to leave him locked up somewhere for good.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score

That shouldn't be shown to 6 year old kids. Our 5 year old would not even know how to process something like that and frankly, I'd rather keep her innocent awhile longer rather than give her reason to fear going to school when she doesn't have the capacity to fully understand the issue.

Phoenix

Reaction score

That is just unreal. That teacher has not one ounce of common sense.

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4906613 said:

Huh?! I agree with older kids not being able to hide it from because a lot of them are on Facebook, Twitter etc. but kids in kindergarten?! My daughter is 5 and in preschool and she has NO idea of what happened on Friday!!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Explain to me why sheltering is a good thing. :D

Dyers Eve. (had to remove the video due to lyrics I had forgotten about :( )