Conner Williams is still fools gold

CowboysRule

Reaction score
We can agree to disagree.
But I think I am seeing things some people don't want to be true.
Did you see Jaylon play before last year? He was by far the worst player on the field, worse than Heath. He shouldn't have been playing. He's fully healthy now and making the Cowboys look like geniuses. I never bashed him publicly except to say he obviously wasn't where he needed to be.

Williams big thing since the time he was drafted was he needed to add strength. He wasn't good last year but he wasn't as terrible as some people want to make him out to be. He's bulked up some. It may take a bit to get used to the added bulk. If he doesn't improve this year they need to look into either moving him to tackle or replacing him.

It's a message board. We are going to bash players and love players. It can change week to week. And no one will ever acknowledge when they are wrong. We are all geniuses here.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Dude got dominated by Watt to the point that the team moved the ball without any trouble while he was in the game...

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I'm seeing a guy with poor technique or a lack of strength get off balance and ragdolled. Then the guy that just blew him up takes a shot on our RB's legs behind the line.
No point in pretending he didnt just get thrown out of the defenders way. At this level that shouldnt be happening. Very rarely do you see a guy get handled like that.
Being ragdolled doesnt mean you were only out muscled. You could be ragdolled for poor technique. The result is the same.

Small thing: Pollard doesn't get hit until he's passed the original LOS. He's not hit behind the line.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
After 3 pre-season games....the guy that everyone said was one of the most improved players during the off-season...put on more weight...better technique...more experience....bla bla bla

Still continues to suck the life out of this offense. More penalties...more blown assignments...more entitlement.

Frankly..as long as this guy is starting....we as an offense.. are gonna be inconsistant. He just kills drives w/ his penalties...and they always seem to happen during a big play.

Teams have figured out he's the weaklink in the line...and have targeted him. JJ Watt was killing him the 1st couple of series...when the Cowboys finally had to pull the plug...and move Filo to left G to combat the breakdowns.

Maybe the light will come on for this guy...but I'm not buying he's put on a bunch of weight...or got stronger.

Right now...we just can't afford to teach a guy on the run. Either he can handle the job...or not.

And as of now..He can't. :(

Sadly you are correct. Let me see though...guy played T in college. Physically built like a T. Athletic like a T. Yet, in the infinite arrogance of the Dallas Cowboys the decision is to decree him a G. No different than Byron Jones playing S. For those claiming CW needs time you are not watching him close enough. Guy is a very good athlete and has good feet so he does some guard things well like pulling and getting to the second level. Protecting against big DTs and a straight line rush, CW just gets tossed around. DCs know this and will make him do the things he can't all game long. This causes him to try to cheat hence penalties. Over the course of a season it will just frustrate him and hurt his confidence. The joke of it all is the writing is on the wall that he will replace Collins next year at T. So why do they even bother with him at G??? It makes no sense. CW is not a NFL G.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Dude got dominated by Watt to the point that the team moved the ball without any trouble while he was in the game...

Do you want to have to over come a defense and Conner Williams mistakes on every single possession? :popcorn:

superonyx

Reaction score
Small thing: Pollard doesn't get hit until he's passed the original LOS. He's not hit behind the line.
I stand corrected. It was 1 yard past the LOS. It's pretty impressive of the DT to be able to engage Connor, ragdoll him, and actually hit the RB 1 yard past the LOS......good thing he didnt make the tackle.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
After 3 pre-season games....the guy that everyone said was one of the most improved players during the off-season...put on more weight...better technique...more experience....bla bla bla

Still continues to suck the life out of this offense. More penalties...more blown assignments...more entitlement.

Frankly..as long as this guy is starting....we as an offense.. are gonna be inconsistant. He just kills drives w/ his penalties...and they always seem to happen during a big play.

Teams have figured out he's the weaklink in the line...and have targeted him. JJ Watt was killing him the 1st couple of series...when the Cowboys finally had to pull the plug...and move Filo to left G to combat the breakdowns.

Maybe the light will come on for this guy...but I'm not buying he's put on a bunch of weight...or got stronger.

Right now...we just can't afford to teach a guy on the run. Either he can handle the job...or not.

You do realize that Williams only went out (and Su'a-Filo moved to left guard) when the starting lineup went out, right? Unless we were also pulling the plug on Frederick for Looney and Collins for Campos.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
watt beat him and tfred and lots of other people

exactly. people were making a big deal about the play where JJ met Pollard in the backfield and how horrible CWill was while completely ignoring the fact that Freddy got tossed aside too.

Just to be clear, I think CWill has improved but whether or not he is ultimately a solution at G, I am not proclaiming either way. BUT if folks have to point to you getting beat by 3 time NFL defensive player of the year in order to criticize you, you've got nothing to apologize for.

It's like all the folks that got destroyed by Larry Allen. HOF'ers weren't excluded for a moment. He took them all out & nobody even pretended otherwise.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The answer isn't all one way or all the other the way fans so often make situations out to be. Fans want to come in here and be dramatic and make definitive statements, and that's not reasonable. What is reasonable to understand is that Williams is neither terrible or great, and the reality is almost always somewhere in the middle. Williams has a lot of potential, but he also has a lot he hasn't proven. But he is just in the preseason of his second season in the NFL, and his second season playing OG, so there is no reason to make a definitive judgment yet.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

wow. because of average play of one player on the OL, the LG at that, this offense is going to struggle.....wow.....so how do other teams do it, when they don't have 2 all pros on the OL?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I stand corrected. It was 1 yard past the LOS. It's pretty impressive of the DT to be able to engage Connor, ragdoll him, and actually hit the RB 1 yard past the LOS......good thing he didnt make the tackle.
Connor got himself off balance trying to turn the DT the other way in a situation where that wasn't really possible. He didn't get "ragdolled" in the sense he was overpowered, he just got his momentum going one way and the DT used that to his advantage. Williams needs to learn from it.

blueblood70

Reaction score

sure he has some flaws but just incase you havent watched hes better pass blocker then Xavier.. Xavier's road grader and I hate to break the news to you Watts one of the best DT in all of football., he and guys like Donald do that to EVERYONE..they make pros look stupid its why they are Elite..we had third stringers do that to the entire Texan Line..

blueblood70

Reaction score
It wasn't just JJ Watt though. In the Rams game, he got thrown to the ground like a ragdoll on Pollard's TD run. Pollard breaking that same lineman's tackle enabled him to score instead of being stopped short because of Williams. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt once the season starts for real but no one has more excuses made for him than Connor Williams. Dude is untouchable. The Teflon Con(nor) is what I call him.
Noones untouchable, Hes working to get better and if he was true liability he wouldn't be starting..

in the end if this fails he can easily play RT and not a wasted pick and LC maybe gone as he might cost too much, so the other Conner at LG and Cwill at RT.. we have prepared its why Xaviers here..we wont be out in a Chaz Green situation again..

waldoputty

Reaction score
cwilliams was hard to watch last year.
he made a huge improvement from last year.
is he martin at this time, obviously no.
will he further improve, probably given it is the beginning of season 2.
how much will he improve at guard, who knows.
how good will he be IF he improves by as much as last year, imo, a probowl guard.
will he be a better tackle than a guard, may be but mcgovern is injured and filo is bad in pass protect.
would you flip him and collins right now, seems a risky thing to do with so little time.

waldoputty

Reaction score

yep
same play last year, he probably would have been ragdolled.
i see progression.
lets hope the improvement continues.
given it is the beginning of year 2, chances are good for improvement.

superonyx

Reaction score
Connor got himself off balance trying to turn the DT the other way in a situation where that wasn't really possible. He didn't get "ragdolled" in the sense he was overpowered, he just got his momentum going one way and the DT used that to his advantage. Williams needs to learn from it.
At this level no OL will get ragdolled in the sense you are wanting it to mean.
These are 300 pound strong as hell men. All of them.

Aren't we tired of making excuses for this Tackle trying to play guard? Is it not clear to everyone that this man is playing out of position. What makes a guard a guard and what makes a Tackle a Tackle clearly shows this man is a tackle. He could be an excellent tackle. Maybe our best. He has the quickness, decent power to control and push around DE's.
The shame is that Connor Williams is a feel good story that every fan wants to love and do well. This man most likely doesnt even want to play guard. He will be a good soldier and not say anything though. He will eat himself into a fatter person than he wants to be based on the pain he carries from his childhood bullying.

Mark my words. Someday this man will be playing Tackle like he played in college and is better suited to play. Until then we will watch him compensate with holds and the occasional ragdoll

blueblood70

Reaction score
At this level no OL will get ragdolled in the sense you are wanting it to mean.
These are 300 pound strong as hell men. All of them.

Aren't we tired of making excuses for this Tackle trying to play guard? Is it not clear to everyone that this man is playing out of position. What makes a guard a guard and what makes a Tackle a Tackle clearly shows this man is a tackle. He could be an excellent tackle. Maybe our best. He has the quickness, decent power to control and push around DE's.
The shame is that Connor Williams is a feel good story that every fan wants to love and do well. This man most likely doesnt even want to play guard. He will be a good soldier and not say anything though. He will eat himself into a fatter person than he wants to be based on the pain he carries from his childhood bullying.

Mark my words. Someday this man will be playing Tackle like he played in college and is better suited to play. Until then we will watch him compensate with holds and the occasional ragdoll
sick of internet knowit alls that think they know more then an NFL staff YES:facepalm::muttley::thumbup:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
We keep drafting off-lineman with high picks instead of coaching low picks to starters as most NFL teams do. This policy has gotten us 0 Superbowls and is our biggest cap and pick consumption!
When we learn that Play-makers and Defense win games not off-lineman.....
Jerry football 101 ....
100% Ppl forget the great wall of dallas started with 5 guys. The highest drafted guy I believe was in the 3rd round. But you are asking our team to do something they know they aren't capable of and that's coach up guys.