Conner Williams, Super Sub?

cern

Reaction score
Its was only fans speculating that thought Conner was going to replace Collins.

What this tells me is they are preparing for the departure of Smith.
that would appear to be the most likely scenario.

Macnalty

Reaction score
You might see Connor Williams cross-trained at tackle but it's going to be a battle between McGovern and Williams next year for left guard. McGovern was a 3rd round pick though, there wasn't much talk about Chaz Green tacking over as a starter when he went 3rd Round and Jourdan Lewis isn't starting as a 3rd round CB. Why are people so high on McGovern?
I agree McGovern still has a lot to prove before he gets penciled into any one position. I am not expecting a one year wonder more along the lines of a two year project at best.

Kaiser

Reaction score
who's plan?

edit: nvm, i see you answered it. but we have no idea if that source is accurate or even if they meant RT. They maybe have him playing LG to move him to LT if Tyron's play drops. So I still say we don't know if that was ever the plan.

It was also discussed extensively after the draft when the FO was questioned about drafting an OG when they already had an All Pro and a 2nd round pick there already. Collins was expected to take the most money elsewhere (he is one of the very few to do this type of extension) and Williams to RT was the obvious move, even Williams talked about it as others have said.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lael Collins resigning (on a team friendly deal) really surprised me. So what happens with our OL next year? Has any team ever had six starting OL where the odd man out was a former 2nd round pick?

The plan was for McGovern to start at OG and Conner Williams to replace Collins at RT. So what do you do now?

Make Williams a super sub backing up multiple positions? Trade McGovern? Keep Williams on the bench and groom him to replace Tyron Smith down the line?

IMO the Super Sub plan is the way to go.

C.Williams didn't practice at OT in training camp. I doubt if he is an option at OT in 2019. If a starter gets injured, then Fleming would start.

If Fleming becomes a starter due to injury then the would have to decide on having C.Williams as the backup plan at OT or finding a veteran backup OT.

My guess is that they would look for a veteran backup.

Kaiser

Reaction score
C.Williams didn't practice at OT in training camp. I doubt if he is an option at OT in 2019. If a starter gets injured, then Fleming would start.

Fleming is clearly the swing tackle but if McGovern is back in the second half and we have an injury, I have to think McGovern starts at OG with Williams at OT rather than McGovern being on the bench with Brandon Knight or a street FA starting at OT.

John813

Reaction score
The way I see it is they'll have McGovern vs Williams next year at LG for training camp.

I'm not sure if Williams could be a LT in the NFL but to be honest I didn't really "study" him at UT. Even then, I'm no scout lol.

Didn't he fall in the draft due to the unknown of him being an effective tackle in the NFL? Arm length? Strength?

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Bob Sturm did a long scouting report on McGovern and felt he was clearly better than Williams. Williams does look like a new player this year however. Its funny that most teams have 3 or 4 starting caliber OL and we have six.

McGovern has no NFL experience, while Williams has limited and poor production as an NFL player. You can't really compare them.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fleming is clearly the swing tackle but if McGovern is back in the second half and we have an injury, I have to think McGovern starts at OG with Williams at OT rather than McGovern being on the bench with Brandon Knight or a street FA starting at OT.

They moved Knight to OG after about the 1st week of training camp.

I think he played all of his snaps in preseason games at OG; although, I was not overly focused on him so he might have played OT so some extent.

I was curious if McGovern had been healthy and played well in the preseason if they would have had Connor Williams practice at OT to some extent.

_sturt_

Reaction score
The plan was for McGovern to start at OG and Conner Williams to replace Collins at RT. So what do you do now?

Make Williams a super sub backing up multiple positions? Trade McGovern? Keep Williams on the bench and groom him to replace Tyron Smith down the line?

This has probably already been said, but I'm too lazy to look...

I wouldn't doubt that the vision is to give Collins a shot at the LT side if/when Tyron decides it's time to shut it down.

After being drafted, it was said of Williams that his shoulders are narrower and his arms not long enough to be a long-term answer at a OT position. If that was true then, it's still true now, of course.

McGovern's future is a complete question mark as-is any other rookie who's been out most of the summer with an injury. He may pan out to be as great as advertised, or he may turn out to be something less than that. Can't even begin to say what his future role will be.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The important thing is that we keep all our guys and not try to cash in any chips.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The way I see it is they'll have McGovern vs Williams next year at LG for training camp.

I'm not sure if Williams could be a LT in the NFL but to be honest I didn't really "study" him at UT. Even then, I'm no scout lol.

Didn't he fall in the draft due to the unknown of him being an effective tackle in the NFL? Arm length? Strength?

He fell primarily because he had a knee injury before his final season which caused him to not play nearly as well as he had in previous seasons.

The 2nd reason is that he weight in at 296 pounds for the combine. Tyron weighed 307 and that was considered about the minimum without impacting an OTs draft status.

Some draft analysts had him rated as a 1st round pick at OT.

His arm length is about the same as for La'el Collins. Team's prefer longer arm length for LTs but he has super quick feet which offset a lack of elite arm length to some extent with regards to LT.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Lael Collins resigning (on a team friendly deal) really surprised me. So what happens with our OL next year? Has any team ever had six starting OL where the odd man out was a former 2nd round pick?

IMO the Super Sub plan is the way to go.

Xavier Su'a Filo is a former 2nd round pick - #33 overall, the very 1st pick in the 2nd round, just missing being a 1st round pick, and he's already a sub for the Cowboys. Su'a Filo was the 2nd offensive guard drafted in 2014, the 1st begin Zack Martin.

IMO, let Williams, McGovern and Su'a Filo compete for the starting position. May the best man win, and I don't really care which one comes out on top.

Kaiser

Reaction score

On the website he is listed as an OT and if he is an OG, he is the 6th OG behind Sua-Filo, Looney, Redmond and the starters.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This has probably already been said, but I'm too lazy to look...

I wouldn't doubt that the vision is to give Collins a shot at the LT side if/when Tyron decides it's time to shut it down.

After being drafted, it was said of Williams that his shoulders are narrower and his arms not long enough to be a long-term answer at a OT position. If that was true then, it's still true now, of course.

McGovern's future is a complete question mark as-is any other rookie who's been out most of the summer with an injury. He may pan out to be as great as advertised, or he may turn out to be something less than that. Can't even begin to say what his future role will be.

The Patriots starting LT is Isaiah Wynn.

Isaiah Wynn
Height: 6'2-3/4"
Weight: 313
Hand: 08 1/2
Arm: 33 3/8
Wingspan: 78 7/8

Connor Williams
Height: 6'5-1/8"
Weight: 296 (reported to be at 320 in training camp)
Hand: 10 1/2
Arm: 33
Wingspan: 77 7/8

Kaiser

Reaction score
Xavier Su'a Filo is a former 2nd round pick - #33 overall, the very 1st pick in the 2nd round, just missing being a 1st round pick, and he's already a sub for the Cowboys. Su'a Filo was the 2nd offensive guard drafted in 2014, the 1st begin Zack Martin.

IMO, let Williams, McGovern and Su'a Filo compete for the starting position. May the best man win, and I don't really care which one comes out on top.

Sua-Filo is fine as a backup but he was cut by the Titans and then got killed in pass protection last year. Bob Sturm did a breakdown of every sack in 2018 and had Sua-Filo responsible for giving up seven sacks in his 8 starts. He is good in run blocking but I really can't see him starting over McGovern or Williams.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
How do we know what the plan was if Collins was resigned before this season even started?

Kaiser

Reaction score
McGovern has no NFL experience, while Williams has limited and poor production as an NFL player. You can't really compare them.

He was comparing them as draft projects, both were rated as 2nd round picks.

jnday

Reaction score
You might see Connor Williams cross-trained at tackle but it's going to be a battle between McGovern and Williams next year for left guard. McGovern was a 3rd round pick though, there wasn't much talk about Chaz Green tacking over as a starter when he went 3rd Round and Jourdan Lewis isn't starting as a 3rd round CB. Why are people so high on McGovern?
Williams is a natural tackle and played it very well in college. They should start using him as a swing tackle and see if he will be able to replace Smith when the time comes.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

I think he played all of his snaps in preseason games at OG; although, I was not overly focused on him so he might have played OT so some extent.

I was curious if McGovern had been healthy and played well in the preseason if they would have had Connor Williams practice at OT to some extent.
The Cowboys claimed they only moved him to guard because of the injuries and that he volunteered, didn't have to. Probably wanted to show them his versatility.