Connor Williams should be benched

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He's a turnstile and he's completely overmatched against most DTs. Between him and Freddy falling off its a problem.

He's a LT that the team drafted to be a LG. That's the problem. You can say it's on him but he was never a LG IMO. Is that the fault of Williams? He's in his second year and he has to be developed. I would not have gone this way with him but that wasn't my call. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that the problem is not the LG. You can start Su'a-Filo but I don't really think it solves the problem.

That's just my opinion.

fansince68

Reaction score
Why the hell Looney isn’t starting in his spot is beyond me........
I was thinking the same thing, except Looney should be playing C at least part of the game. Fred is getting pushed back too.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
This is the player you gave up Earl Thomas for, yes?

It happens, but most good teams know how to adjust. Connor is still a good asset if he plays tackle. Dallas either develop him for future replacement or trade him to a team for a defensive player.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
At worst, I think Williams is the best Swing Tackle option this team has had in years. I don't love him as a RT, long term, but I think he could do a serviceable job there if need be, for a short stretch. I like him a lot more at LT and I even think he could probably do a nice job there. I think that's his natural position. Having said all of this, lets don't get crazy. Williams in in his second year guys. This kid is 22 years old. He's not what he will be when he's 25. I think it's very short sided to just give up on this kid, at this stage. Especially based off of no real data. I don't believe that Williams has played as poorly as a lot of people suggest but it's here nor there. We need to develop this kid and not be in such a hurry to off him IMO.

Tussinman

Reaction score
This is the player you gave up Earl Thomas for, yes?
Sure...... That and the 55 mil plus contract.

;)
Would rather have Earl, especially since the cowboys are literally letting 25 million dollars sit in the bank right now..... (can't whine about Earls' contract when we have the money even with us extending 4 high dollar players this off season)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Would rather have Earl, especially since the cowboys are literally letting 25 million dollars sit in the bank right now..... (can't whine about Earls' contract when we have the money even with us extending 4 high dollar players this off season)

Cowboys didn't feel that way and I haven't heard them whine about it once. Fact is, you don't know why the Cowboys are holding on to that 25, right?

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
Ding Ding spot on man. We aren’t saying go back to Lienhan offense but having a steady running game will keep the team from Blitzing as often as they do. If you slow down the pass rush little bit even with injuries on OL the passing game will be far more effective.

Why is it that we can see this and Jason Garrett can’t ?

Tussinman

Reaction score
Cowboys didn't feel that way and I haven't heard them whine about it once
There an oblivious franchise/front office so of course they won't complain.

According to them DT and Safety "everything is fine we like our guys". There also too arrogant to pull Williams because it will make them look stupid to draft a near top 50 pick and he isn't starting and there too arrogant to say DT and Safety play is unacceptable

Yeah I don't expect any whining on the cowboys part, "everything is fine we like our guys" mentality that will once gain won't get them out of the divisional round (shocker)

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
1. Both starting tackles and two of the top three receivers- out.

2. Defense can't buy a turnover, makes Sam Darnold look like Tom Brady, and can't get a pass rush against football's worst line.

3. Plain, predictable playcalling on both sides of the ball.

4. A kicker that can kick a ball from here to the moon but can't convert a chip shot.

Given all of this, I'm not thinking benching Connor Williams would make that much of a difference. He's way down the list of concerns for this team.

quickccc

Reaction score
At worst, I think Williams is the best Swing Tackle option this team has had in years. I don't love him as a RT, long term, but I think he could do a serviceable job there if need be, for a short stretch. I like him a lot more at LT and I even think he could probably do a nice job there. I think that's his natural position. Having said all of this, lets don't get crazy. Williams in in his second year guys. This kid is 22 years old. He's not what he will be when he's 25. I think it's very short sided to just give up on this kid, at this stage. Especially based off of no real data. I don't believe that Williams has played as poorly as a lot of people suggest but it's here nor there. We need to develop this kid and not be in such a hurry to off him IMO.

And that would be too bad, as that’s an expensive 2nd round pick to end up a mere swing tackle option.
But if Williams is playing like this by season’s end, and McGovern is everything he is advertised to be by end of next year’s camp, I’m all for opening up that competition – Conner vs Conner.
I’m not voting for Filo replacing Williams either. I won’t even bother with Looney over Fredrick, even if It’s a different version than in the past.
Filo’s lack of agility, endurance would eventually expose him and here comes the whiff blocks ,even more Williams.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
And that would be too bad, as that’s an expensive 2nd round pick to end up a mere swing tackle option.
But if Williams is playing like this by season’s end, and McGovern is everything he is advertised to be by end of next year’s camp, I’m all for opening up that competition – Conner vs Conner.
I’m not voting for Filo replacing Williams either. I won’t even bother with Looney over Fredrick, even if It’s a different version than in the past.
Filo’s lack of agility, endurance would eventually expose him and here comes the whiff blocks ,even more Williams.

I'll just say it now, if McGovern is healthy and ready to go, I would absolutely start him at LG but that's a big if. I mean, we might have a real problem with Martin, don't really know yet. He might end up having to play RG, we don't know yet. But if we could have Martin back, McGovern at LG, or even the other way around, that would work for me. People are going to say that Williams is a waste of a pick but Smith is not getting better, he's getting worse year over year. I'd get Williams snaps at Tackle and prepare him for when, not if, he has to step in and start. That's a good investment for the Cowboys and it could be that we need him sooner rather then later. JMO.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's a LT that the team drafted to be a LG. That's the problem. You can say it's on him but he was never a LG IMO. Is that the fault of Williams? He's in his second year and he has to be developed. I would not have gone this way with him but that wasn't my call. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that the problem is not the LG. You can start Su'a-Filo but I don't really think it solves the problem.

That's just my opinion.

I don't disagree that he's not a G. If they want to try him as a swing tackle, i'm all for it b/c he sure as heck can't play G. Zach Martin was also a Tackle in college and he adapted to G like a fish to water. It should be an easier position. Connor just doesn't have the lower body to move anyone. He's got no power base.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't disagree that he's not a G. If they want to try him as a swing tackle, i'm all for it b/c he sure as heck can't play G. Zach Martin was also a Tackle in college and he adapted to G like a fish to water. It should be an easier position. Connor just doesn't have the lower body to move anyone. He's got no power base.

If you watched Williams play at Texas, it was easy to see IMO. I mean, he just didn't anchor and sink well enough and with any power to play the position at the NFL level, IMO, at the time. I mean, don't get me wrong, they might be able to make him into one, IDK, but I never thought he was coming out of Texas. I definitely thought he could play LT in the NFL though.

garyv

Reaction score
Another game another game killing penalties by this mediocre overhyped player. He should be benched immediately.

Wasted Draft pick along with Taco and Im hoping not Tristen Hill butI dont feel very damn good about any of these three