Contract/Cap trouble on the horizon?

Steve007

Reaction score
Parsons, the guy who never shows up in any of these big games, either. He also feasts off the crappy teams. But for whatever reason, he doesn't take the same heat for that as Dak does.

And Dak played very well against Philly, probably the best team in football. He usually plays really good against them. Definitely had a few bad plays in that game and didn't get the win but he definitely didn't suck in that game.
Dak is the quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys and he is getting paid as an elite player. So he is going to take the heat. Dak also has played poorly against SF.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CZers complained for years about not having at least decent players to field a competitive team; but when the FO (courtesy of the scouting department) signs top-quality talent - many then start worrying about their future contracts instead of rooting them on to help get that elusive 6th NFL Title RIGHT NOW = ASAP.
Some Cowboys fans even post threads about trading All-Pro players to get draft picks= ?!?!?!?
The most important time for any good football team with a chance to win a Super Bowl is right now. Not next year.

The Cowboys have so many good young players along with several good veterans on bigger deals. It’s a good mix, especially if they can finally go on a deep playoff run. Sometimes I don’t think many of our young fans even realize what it’s like when you have a team on a playoff run. It’s exhilarating.

When you win multiple playoff games in the current season, the last thing on our minds should be next year.

Flamma

Reaction score
This is what’s wrong with the salary cap. Good drafting teams should not be handcuffed like this. Only a percentage of any new contracts for a player that you drafted should count towards the cap. Teams should have a slight advantage to resign their own talent vs. a poor drafting team.
This is a no brainer to me and would improve the game IMO. But money speaks louder to these owners. What's in it for them money wise? In some way or another, every decision they make has to do with money. Same with the NFLPA.

This could cause owners to spend more money. If a team drafts well, they could potentially have more room under the cap that they wouldn't otherwise have. They don't have to spend the money. But they'll be expected to.

The NFLPA will probably be against it because it devalues free agents. I didn't come up with that one. What you suggest has come up many times in the past. That was one of the arguments I heard against it.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Be careful because after the San Francisco game the noise around the Cowboys was when will Lance get a chance to play. Even the Dak backers in the media thought we would see him play before the end of the season. I expect Dak to get an extension but weird things happen sometimes.
Really? There was a bunch of noise about Lance? Only people that would have wanted Lance playing IMO, are one of 2 groups. Those that are just curious and havent seen much of Lance, and people that are stupid. I live in 49ers country, so I got to watch him a lot. He is terrible. His last pre season game before being traded was embarassing. If we have Lance playing he better not resemble anything like he looked for the niners.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The most important time for any good football team with a chance to win a Super Bowl is right now. Not next year.

The Cowboys have so many good young players along with several good veterans on bigger deals. It’s a good mix, especially if they can finally go on a deep playoff run. Sometimes I don’t think many of our young fans even realize what it’s like when you have a team on a playoff run. It’s exhilarating.

When you win multiple playoff games in the current season, the last thing on our minds should be next year.
When we win multiple playoff games you let me know. Then Ill only think about the current year. But believe it or not, I can multi task and think about this year and next year during the same week and not lose any of my enjoyment of the current game.

kskboys

Reaction score
Really? There was a bunch of noise about Lance? Only people that would have wanted Lance playing IMO, are one of 2 groups. Those that are just curious and havent seen much of Lance, and people that are stupid. I live in 49ers country, so I got to watch him a lot. He is terrible. His last pre season game before being traded was embarassing. If we have Lance playing he better not resemble anything like he looked for the niners.
Since it was only a 4th I didn't care too much about the trade, but happy to have him I am not. Maybe we can teach him to be an adequate bus driver for a backup.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Since it was only a 4th I didn't care too much about the trade, but happy to have him I am not. Maybe we can teach him to be an adequate bus driver for a backup.
IM ok with a 4th also. But the Niners drafted him to start, so they could not just let him sit on the bench, especially after they knew Purdy was their man. We traded for him to be a total project KNOWING that Dak is our starter. So we gave away a 4th to see if they could develop him inot a decent qb. A 4th ???? Id have preferred a 5th since if you look at the last 20 years of 5th rd picks you wont see too many names you even recognize.

kskboys

Reaction score
IM ok with a 4th also. But the Niners drafted him to start, so they could not just let him sit on the bench, especially after they knew Purdy was their man. We traded for him to be a total project KNOWING that Dak is our starter. So we gave away a 4th to see if they could develop him inot a decent qb. A 4th ???? Id have preferred a 5th since if you look at the last 20 years of 5th rd picks you wont see too many names you even recognize.
Yup, agree completely. Don't see the value in giving up a 4th for a bust, but whatever I guess.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It does not matter Lance is a developmental prospect now for the Cowboys and Dak is considered a top 5 quarterback in the league. Lance is a lottery ticket. Lance could have beern just as good or better than Dobbs. I bet the Steelers, Jets, Falcons, Browns, and Giants wish they had Lance now. You are judging a quarterback by preseason games? The Pittsburgh kid looked like the second coming in the preseason. Lance was 2-2 in his real game starts with the 49ers. He was ok.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When we win multiple playoff games you let me know. Then Ill only think about the current year. But believe it or not, I can multi task and think about this year and next year during the same week and not lose any of my enjoyment of the current game.
Yeah. I’m all for winning multiple
Playoff games n the same year! It makes you forget any other problem. :thumbup:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dak is the quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys and he is getting paid as an elite player. So he is going to take the heat. Dak also has played poorly against SF.
Not really if Daniel Jones is making $42 million that's not elite money anymore, most qbs ahead of daks $$ aren doping squat either.. that's just simple quarterback market money,

that's not why he's taking the heat... The allged heat comes from fans who are clueless and you already said what clueless fans say,

you act like he is the one that created the atmosphere in which he didn't play well against San Francisco and we have to go back and judge the offensive line the lack of a run game the **** **** play calling and the bad game plans... oh and the defense not that great in game one in 2021 against San Francisco they were giving up 10 yards per carry in the first half, I don't care they kept the score down they gave up too much time and possession on long scoring drives like they have all year this year they have not changed this is not a championship defense.​
Trayvon diggs missed two key plays last year that could have really made this a different game but the one common thing in every game in the playoffs that we've lost 2018,2021, and 20/22 was the offensive line and the lack of a run game period we are one-dimensional and niners are able to get to our quarterback and stop the run on most plays with a four man line they're playing Max coverage on the back end what exactly is the quarterback supposed to do stevo?? You act like this is a one man show it is not a one man show it is a team game show me the rest of the team playing well against the 49ers in Prescott the only one that didn't show up it was not meant to answer because we all know it's rhetorical we have not come with a strong physical line and a good run game in quite a long time you know the things that Troy and Roger got you know better coaching better lines better run game not asking one player they do it all...​
Pretty common false narrative that Prescott played bad in the playoffs in fact he will play better if he actually has an offense that shows up with him... Anybody who thinks differently really doesn't understand the moving parts that football has that creates the team environment in bigger games you're not gonna beat the best teams in the league with 14 penalties and no run game an inconsistent defense offensive line not giving him any time and then your weapons are not getting open and you don't even have time to look at your second and third reads because the pressure is in your face that is exactly what's happened against the 49ers the last 3 games.. They simply are a better team and that's that whenever our team shows up as a unit and plays better and plays complimentary football we can win those games​
and by the way this isn't new look at this year most of the last five games we hadn't had a strong run game Prescott able to win without a lot of help it's just been CD lamb and Prescott playing Sandlot football and he's running around and the lines not playing well in the run games out there but he can do that against these bad teams but what he needs against the better teams, is a better team..crazy concept huh?​
I don't wanna hear the nonsense about contracts and money and expectations and whether you're considered a leak or paid a leak that's straight up garbage the whole team is paid to come play including the coaches and they're not showing up against the Niners against Philly they made too many mistakes and then you gotta add in the referees there's a lot more going on than just the quarterback​
OK SteveO!!​

Creeper

Reaction score
This is what’s wrong with the salary cap. Good drafting teams should not be handcuffed like this. Only a percentage of any new contracts for a player that you drafted should count towards the cap. Teams should have a slight advantage to resign their own talent vs. a poor drafting team.
I agree 100%. Now the NFL makes a huge deal out of the draft with 3 days of televised coverage over every pick. After all the hoopla they make of it, they basically downplay it be penalizing teams that draft or develop the best talent. You could argue that bad teams get early picks and the CAP balances that aspect of it, but at some point it still penalizes the best drafting teams.

I would be a sollid supporter of a new CAP system that allows teams to take a percentage of draft players contracts off the CAP.

The one downside of this is it will increase salaries for all players most likely.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
It does not matter Lance is a developmental prospect now for the Cowboys and Dak is considered a top 5 quarterback in the league. Lance is a lottery ticket. Lance could have beern just as good or better than Dobbs. I bet the Steelers, Jets, Falcons, Browns, and Giants wish they had Lance now. You are judging a quarterback by preseason games? The Pittsburgh kid looked like the second coming in the preseason. Lance was 2-2 in his real game starts with the 49ers. He was ok.
Uhmm... Lance was terrible the entire time he was with the Niners. Need proof? Shanahan shipped him off for a pack of gum.

Flamma

Reaction score
We're in a pretty good position cap wise. Micah and Lamb will take up a ton of room, but we have basically budgeted for it.
The good thing about those two is that they won't have big cap hits for several more years. Lamb not until 2025 or 2026. Parsons not until 2026 or 2027. Even if they both get paid after this season. Who knows how high the cap will be by then? And we'll probably have some high paid players retire by that time as well.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
by the way, I agree with you that Lance is a prospect... a prospect that wont get in the games anytime soon. Cooper goes into each game as the number 2, meaning the only way lance can play is if Dak and Rush are both hurt.

Flamma

Reaction score
Can we tag and trade him? I heard there was a no tag clause in his contract but I don’t know that would work if Dak would not have a current contract once this one runs out.
Once his contract runs out, he's a free agent. Can't trade him, can't tag him. You'd have to find a way to make him uncomfortable, and hope he asks for a trade. Then hope he wants to go to Chicago so we can use their pick for a new QB.

And 'Hawkeye0202' - since #4 has been tearing it up the last 6 games - the "Can't Extend \Don't Extend \ Mustn't Extend \ Won’t Extend" comments have disappeared from CZ threads.
(Except for 'DuncanIso....he all but guarantees Prescott will be a June 1st cut ...and Trey Lance starts week 1 in 2024.)
Just wait for the stretch run against the Eagles, Bills, and Dolphins. If Dak looks bad there, it will again dominate almost every thread on the first page of CZ.

Flamma

Reaction score
Only people that would have wanted Lance playing IMO, are one of 2 groups. Those that are just curious and havent seen much of Lance, and people that are stupid.
There's a 3rd group. Those that want him to start in 2024. They want the first overall pick in 2025.