Twitter: Convince Me Why Micah Parson Should Not Rush The QB 90% Of The Time

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I think not using micah all over the field with his crazy speed and athleticism would be a disservice to the defense as a unit. Just pigeon holing him into a pass rusher would probably just make the defense as a whole worse.
Typing this out on my phone in a meeting my god this was bad lol. Corrected quote with edits.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Me, I want to see how the two LSU linebacker, Cox and Clark, come along first. Then see our coordinator make his calls!

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When you're a truly elite pass rusher it must become your full time job. His versatility went out the window for me once I realized he was elite at it.

Having said that, expect these idiots to be "clever" and have him dropping into coverage on plenty of known passing downs this year. I mean, Dorance Armstrong and Dante Fowler need snaps too.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
If rookie Damone Clark was not injured but able to start and play come Week 1, I would be rushing both Micah Parsons and Sam Williams from both edges...nonstop.

Since LVE is still a question mark, Cox is coming off a torn ACL and the rest of the LBs are backup material, this is why Dan Quinn is most likely not to blitz Micah 90% of the time for now.

We cant rush nonstop from both ends unless it is passing situations, teams will run at us all day ( 4-3 Arrangement) . I agree on the part about LBs , I am still hopeful they will get one quality FA LB.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Why not rush in 90 percent of the time?

Because, then, we expose our run defense. That has been our Achilles heel.
And that's why Cowboys fans have been clamoring for help at the DT position, a stout guy who can clog the middle of the defense to both collapse the pocket on pass plays and plug the run game.

San Francisco ran the ball 38 times compared to passing 25 times. They, effectively, took Parsons out of the passing game.

Parsons is a versatile player. I think he is needed as much in the running game as he is in the passing game. Besides, he's undersized as a pass rusher. I fear he'll wear down over time. We need to develop and strengthen our linebacking corp. Too many guys hurt or healing.

I want Parsons around playing at a peak level for several years. I hope the Cowboys don't run him into the ground.

If we can get players around him - like the Giants had with LT - maybe we can scheme him to rush the passer more. But for right now, we need him in the run game, and we don't need to overuse him and expose him to 300+ linemen.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Because the rest of our LBs have either never proven anything (Cox) or stink (everyone else)

In a perfect world I rush Parsons on most downs. We refused to bring in a Wagner or another LB to help so we are stuck where we are unless someone steps up (hopefully Cox). If we had another decent LB in the SF game and allowed Micah to blitz more and move around more I think we would have won

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dane Brugler
@dpbrugler

Most pass rush pressures among NFL rookies (via PFF):
1. Micah Parsons (16)
2. Osa Odighizuwa (15)
3. Odafe Oweh (13)
4. Jaelan Phillips (10)
5. Azeez Ojulari, Joe Tryon-Shoyinka (9)

...we have an unnoticed DT as well!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I do not believe he should be DE at all. I just would like for him to be a TJ Watt type of player.

So you think he should have more impact on the pass rush........more sacks and/or pressures. Keep in mind his presence alone puts pressure on offenses coz they are not sure what he going to do.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
So you think he should have more impact on the pass rush........more sacks and/or pressures. Keep in mind his presence alone puts pressure on offenses coz they are not sure what he going to do.
I think he should be used to make his best ability (which is clearly rushing the QB) his most used ability.

I do not want to see him 15 yards down field on TE2.

I want to see him doing the thing that he does better than anybody else in the NFL. That is rush the QB.

quickccc

Reaction score
No.

Not sure what you're watching but he played more than half of his snaps at off ball LB in coverage.

we cannot just do the pass rush thing only.. there is some run defense and occasional pass coverage responsibilities.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because his first job is to stop the run, which they did not do in the playoff game. If they want him to primarily be a pass rusher, they should have drafted a LB to help the run D on one of the first two days. It was unlikely they would use a top 3 on a DT.