Twitter: Convince Me Why Micah Parson Should Not Rush The QB 90% Of The Time

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Think of him like Lawrence Taylor. You use him to rush the passer a lot, but not 90% of the time. He's a good all around player, and should be used as such.
That's just stupid and what allowed the 49ers to beat us. Big 3rd downs converted with all day to throw while Micah was in coverage. Imagine being Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers and your like thank god they dropped that guy into coverage so I can do what I do.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not believe he should be DE at all. I just would like for him to be a TJ Watt type of player.
His ability to play all over the defense is more valuable than restricting him to 1 position like DE.

He still rusher the passer frequently as a LB both on the edge and inside.

His highest sack game (2.5) was when he played LB.

QBs and Offensive Coordinators would prefer him at DE where they can scheme around him with an extra blocker, etc.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
His ability to play all over the defense is more valuable than restricting him to 1 position like DE.

He still rusher the passer frequently as a LB both on the edge and inside.

His highest sack game (2.5) was when he played LB.

QBs and Offensive Coordinators would prefer him at DE where they can scheme around him with an extra blocker, etc.
Try and game plan for a floating Parsons, thats the current strength of this defense.
As soon as much needed support starts arriving, Parsons game is going to be a nightmare to contend with.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
we cannot just do the pass rush thing only.. there is some run defense and occasional pass coverage responsibilities.

Nonsense. He can play the run on his way to the QB just like any other DE or 3-4 OLB.

But you don't seem to have any grasp on what's going on considering you thought he was a full time rusher last year.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
He's the only one listed there that isn't a full time pass rusher.

Do the right thing, Quinn. Unleash him.

TJ Watt doesn't rush the passer anywhere close to 90% of the time. Why? Because he's a LB, like Parsons.

Try watching more than just Cowboys games. :rolleyes:

Flamma

Reaction score
That's just stupid and what allowed the 49ers to beat us. Big 3rd downs converted with all day to throw while Micah was in coverage. Imagine being Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers and your like thank god they dropped that guy into coverage so I can do what I do.

Well, you have to know when to do it. I don't recall a lot of clear passing downs against the 49ers. They almost ran the ball at will.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Nonsense. He can play the run on his way to the QB just like any other DE or 3-4 OLB.

But you don't seem to have any grasp on what's going on considering you thought he was a full time rusher last year.

Thanks Rod. We saw how well that worked for our run defense.

I mean it's fun to parrot Kiffin and Marinelli from 20 years ago and pretend that everyone always does that though.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I never understood the Osa hate, I thought from watching that he had a pretty solid season considering he was a rookie.
The Osa hate comes from fans thinking every Cowboys draft pick is a bust unless he is an All-Pro. I see fans in another thread busting Gholston. These guys are third round picks. The likelihood that these guys are all pros is small. Osa just wore out at the end of the season from carrying the defensive tackles responsibly early in the season. Osa will be a good player for us.

Reactions: G2

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
TJ Watt doesn't rush the passer anywhere close to 90% of the time. Why? Because he's a LB, like Parsons.

Try watching more than just Cowboys games. :rolleyes:
You're right. It's higher than 90%.

Here's TJ Watts drop back percentages up to 2020:

2017 - 37%
2018 - 19%
2019 - 9%
2020 - 5%

I'm going to assume 2021 is less than or equal to 5% seeing as how he tied the sack record in 15 games.

As you can see, the Steelers are not wasting TJ Watt's ability by having him cover TE2 down field 15 yards away from plays.

You should probably look these things up before you tell someone else to "watch more than just Cowboys games".

Schooled.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Twitter: Convince Me Why Micah Parson Should Not Rush The QB 90% Of The Time

Because offenses run much more than 10% of the time.
This is very elementary thinking.

Do you think that defensive linemen or linebackers that never play in coverage (TJ Watt) aren't rushing to get into the back field almost every play? Weather it be a run play or a pass play the linemen/LB is trying to get the person with the ball as quickly as possible.

Parsons rushing into the back field to either get the QB or try and stop the run before the RB gains 5 yards is the same thing.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

For as many football geniuses we have around here you'd think you'd not have to explain this to them.

Sending your best player into the back field from all different directions would have a major affect on disrupting the run game.

They have sacrificed their common sense for the sake of arguing.

75boyz

Reaction score
It was discussed last year as well. Parsons still is the closest thing resembling Lawrence Taylor since Lawrence Taylor.
So maybe Quinn could send Belicheck a box of cigars in a trade for old VHS film of how Hoodie played LT all over the d-line so as to best use him and confuse opposing offenses. They wouldnt know where he was coming from.
Just like LT.

Quinn did a little bit of this last year. He needs to continue to do it.

quickccc

Reaction score

" He can play the run on his way to the QB " .

....... LOL !

uh-oh, the ole Rod Marinelli run defense philosophy -

Just running upfield out of position,... out of gaps,.. bypassing the play, and thinking about the run as an afterthought later.
and little wonder why we continue to struggle vs run to this very day

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
" He can play the run on his way to the QB " .

....... LOL !

uh-oh, the ole Rod Marinelli run defense philosophy -

Just running upfield out of position,... out of gaps,.. bypassing the play, and thinking about the run as an afterthought later.
and little wonder why we continue to struggle vs run to this very day

You're embarrassing yourself.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Tank has already said he's going to dominate this year so no use in Micah being the second guy to the QB. Cause Tank never says anything he doesn't back up, right?

Plus, Sam wants to get in on some of the action as well.