Cooley's opinion: RG3 is going to Dallas

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
As long as they still g QB at #4, I'd like this a lot. It would add some % likelihood to getting a franchise QB after Romo. Unfortunately, RGIII would be instead of QB at #4 I'm sure, decreasing our chance at a franchise QB IMO.

Personal estimations:

RGIII turns out to be franchise QB = 5%
Goff/Wentz/Lynch turns out to be franchise QB = 25%

Double those % that they'll turn out to be at least a good quality starter.

I'd rather have the 30% chance over the 25% or 5% chance myself. If either or, give me the 25% chance.

Top 5 drafted QB in last 20yrs is 2 or 3 out of 20 to win SB.....

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Cooley is an idiot if he thinks Jerry is going to try to lure RG3 here by giving him the idea that the starting job will be his soon. Lying to the man and thereby setting up the scenario that would result in RG3 getting frustrated and acting out again, is not the way to start a professional relationship. RG3 needs to be told up front this is a B/U gig only and this will be Romo's team for the next 3 to 4 years.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's the worst option if it keeps us from drafting a high end QB. I don't think RGIII will come here unless he's told he'd have a chance to eventually be the starter. And in that case we won't draft a QB in the first and odds are RGIII won't return to 2012 form AND we won't have a young potential franchise QB here either.

But we have no idea if a high-end draft QB is going to be a winner.

I think most have convinced themselves that Goff, Wentz and Lynch are all going to be fantastic NFL QBs.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
Cooley is an idiot if he thinks Jerry is going to try to lure RG3 here by giving him the idea that the starting job will be his soon. Lying to the man and thereby setting up the scenario that would result in RG3 getting frustrated and acting out again, is not the way to start a professional relationship. RG3 needs to be told up front this is a B/U gig only and this will be Romo's team for the next 3 to 4 years.

Jerry doesnt need to tell him anything. Griffin knows it will be his job at some pt in the season. When was Romos last full season? 2012?

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Brother. So many extremes here.

Who's saying that bringing in RG3 means we won't draft a QB?

Is that that a certainty?

Right now our only option at backup is Kellen Moore. Why not kick the tires on Griffin? Sign him, then look to draft one. There's no reason to force our hand in the draft. If a player like Goff or Wentz is there, and we like them, then take one. As a rookie, they can hold a clipboard and learn.

If both are gone, then we take the BPA and let a developmental QB come to us later. No need to force the draft.

I think you are right, and I would not be surprised at all if that is the philosophy the Cowboys follow.

MikeT22

Reaction score

A certainty? No.
But it would increase the odds that we wouldn't take a QB in the first. If they think there's any chance RGIII can be an elite player like many thought when he would be when he was drafted then odds are they will want to find out before also using a high pick on a QB.

But odds are RGIII will continue to be what he's been the last few years and I don't want to waste a chance at getting a QB at#4 just so we can kick the tires of Griffin.

Junglist

Reaction score
Lesser of the 2 evils I guess
He's more interested in selling jerseys than winning games.
He really is. I used to think nobody cared about winning more than Jerry, but it's simply not true. Money > everything else.
All he cares about is being relevant.

MikeT22

Reaction score
But we have no idea if a high-end draft QB is going to be a winner.

I think most have convinced themselves that Goff, Wentz and Lynch are all going to be fantastic NFL QBs.

That's true. But Id take my chances with Goff or Wentz over wasting time with RGIII.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score

Right now our only option at backup is Kellen Moore. Why not kick the tires on Griffin? Sign him, then look to draft one. There's no reason to force our hand in the draft. If a player like Goff or Wentz is there, and we like them, then take one. As a rookie, they can hold a clipboard and learn.

If both are gone, then we take the BPA and let a developmental QB come to us later. No need to force the draft.

If they sign RG3 then chances of them spending #4 on a QB certainly diminishes.

Then they may look at later round QB's that many do not want because of the past McGee type of waste and drop off after the top 3!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I think it's Griffin.

The interesting question will be, will the Cowboys still take a QB at #4 IF they had Griffin on board?

There are very good points for and against.

The points against need to take a long look at the Weeden retread and how that worked out. RG3 was a better prospect but not that much better and he has shown no indication that he can handle the speed of the game in reading defenses for a pro style passing attack.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's Griffin.

The interesting question will be, will the Cowboys still take a QB at #4 IF they had Griffin on board?

There are very good points for and against.

There are only good points for. Any points against would simply display a lack of vision and patience.

Griffin is a bum who will lead you to nowhere. He should have no impact whatsoever on what you do in the draft.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry doesnt need to tell him anything. Griffin knows it will be his job at some pt in the season. When was Romos last full season? 2012?

I would make no promises to RG3. He has to compete for the b/u QB job. Why would he come in thinking the job will be his at some point in the season?

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Not for or against. But IF he signs here I want to trade down and stockpile picks. Unless Tunsil falls to 4 there isn't a non QB worth taking that high

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The points against need to take a long look at the Weeden retread and how that worked out. RG3 was a better prospect but not that much better and he has shown no indication that he can handle the speed of the game in reading defenses for a pro style passing attack.

Boy Fuzzy I think there's a world of difference between the two guys... not saying Griffin is going to be a fantastic QB, but I gotta think he's better than Weeden.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are only good points for. Any points against would simply display a lack of vision and patience.

Griffin is a bum who will lead you to nowhere. He should have no impact whatsoever on what you do in the draft.

You're right.

And if the Cowboys don't think Goff, Lynch or Wentz are worthy of the pick at #4 then they shouldn't draft them.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Jerry is a fool if he tells RG3 that the job is his when he signs him, that would only make the price go up.

BTW, those saying how good he was 3 years ago, how many other teams make their prized, first round, franchise QB their third stringer? If he was all that, he'd be the starter.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
I would make no promises to RG3. He has to compete for the b/u QB job. Why would he come in thinking the job will be his at some point in the season?

Im just basing it off Romo not beeing able to stay healthy. If im RGIII Ill go ahead and pretend im here just for the backup position. Jerry will never say "starting quarterback" . he would never do that to Romo.

he'll sell the backup talk and hope rg3 pans out

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Boy Fuzzy I think there's a world of difference between the two guys... not saying Griffin is going to be a fantastic QB, but I gotta think he's better than Weeden.

RG3 cannot read NFL defenses. Just because Weeden is less athletic in addition to not being able to read defenses doesn't make either one viable. I'd rather have Moore out there noodle arm and all.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Rg3 throwing deep to Dez, Butler or our #4 pick Treadwell is making me salivate. We need someone with a gun to get the ball down the field.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RG3 cannot read NFL defenses. Just because Weeden is less athletic in addition to not being able to read defenses doesn't make either one viable. I'd rather have Moore out there noodle arm and all.

The guy sat for a year. If he can't read NFL defenses then they shouldn't sign him. If they put him through the paces and find his mental grasp of the position is more than acceptable... then maybe he becomes a Cowboy.